Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Vandy provides a safety briefing before most of the country watches its game....
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Vandy provides a safety briefing before most of the country watches its game....

11-30-2020 08:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: Vandy provides a safety briefing before most of the country watches its game....
At some point, the SEC will take up a collection to assist in Vanderbilt's departure.
11-30-2020 08:51 PM
bill dazzle Online
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
RE: Vandy provides a safety briefing before most of the country watches its game....
As a humble Vanderbilt football fan of many, many years ... I roared at this throughout. Very clever. I saw myself in the Commodore fan on the right: "It's a lifestyle."

Well done.
11-30-2020 09:36 PM
Section 200 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC & XU
Vandy is a great school but they need to leave SEC football. Hopefully they are making preparations to leave. Perhaps they could drop football and maintain SEC membership for the remaining sports. It is a waste of game for the other schools and adds minimal value to the media contracts.
11-30-2020 10:13 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(11-30-2020 10:13 PM)Section 200 Wrote:  Vandy is a great school but they need to leave SEC football. Hopefully they are making preparations to leave. Perhaps they could drop football and maintain SEC membership for the remaining sports. It is a waste of game for the other schools and adds minimal value to the media contracts.

Wins are hard to come by in the SEC, so a placeholder is welcome. Other schools love going to Nashville.
11-30-2020 10:24 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
It wouldn’t surprise me if we see Vandy in the ACC or Big Ten in a few years. That the Big Ten studied them and was being all cryptic about further expansion to the southeast...that might be your guy there.
12-01-2020 12:07 AM
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(12-01-2020 12:07 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  It wouldn’t surprise me if we see Vandy in the ACC or Big Ten in a few years. That the Big Ten studied them and was being all cryptic about further expansion to the southeast...that might be your guy there.

Vanderbilt supports a minimum number of sports: Only 14 (6 men's, 8 women's), and looks similar to Georgia Tech's (without swimming and diving).
Vanderbilt's reluctance to invest in facilities (especially football) has rubbed some SEC folks the wrong way over a long period of time and I too, would not be surprised if they joined a different conference where they might compete with similar institutions.
12-01-2020 05:52 AM
Heisman

(12-01-2020 05:52 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(12-01-2020 12:07 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  It wouldn’t surprise me if we see Vandy in the ACC or Big Ten in a few years. That the Big Ten studied them and was being all cryptic about further expansion to the southeast...that might be your guy there.

Vanderbilt supports a minimum number of sports: Only 14 (6 men's, 8 women's), and looks similar to Georgia Tech's (without swimming and diving).
Vanderbilt's reluctance to invest in facilities (especially football) has rubbed some SEC folks the wrong way over a long period of time and I too, would not be surprised if they joined a different conference where they might compete with similar institutions.

After the shock and intrigue wore off about the Big Ten studying them, it turned into some resentment. And it’s not like I dislike Vandy, but, for someone who would have loved to have seen Pitt, Syracuse, and/or Missouri in the Big Ten (and all having applied at some point, iirc), you get stuff like this, or Rutgers, where the upsides are strictly location and academics and little else. Like the athletics are a bit if an afterthought.

It’s taken awhile, but I start to understand why a Tulane or Rice make it into major conference discussions but continue to see themselves not within one. How you see how it doesn’t translate on the field, court, or in the facilities and infrastructure. So they sit on the outside. Tulane may at least try, but, Vanderbilt is practically the same as a school with resources who simply chooses not to spend/invest in sports.

I would wonder “could Vanderbilt ever find themselves out of the power conference structure?” They reflect like other schools power conferences have resisted for whatever reason, but, I think both the ACC and Big Ten are so fascinated by the name that there would continue to be a place for them at the table.
12-01-2020 07:16 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(11-30-2020 10:13 PM)Section 200 Wrote:  Vandy is a great school but they need to leave SEC football. Hopefully they are making preparations to leave. Perhaps they could drop football and maintain SEC membership for the remaining sports. It is a waste of game for the other schools and adds minimal value to the media contracts.

This is a sentiment common among fans of schools that wish they were in the SEC, but a sentiment rare among the SEC community itself.

Few at LSU, Alabama or Florida have any issue with Vandy being in the SEC. Vandy is good in some other sports and they are the academic flag-bearer for the conference. Plus, as others have noted, you can't have everyone be great in football or else nobody would win lots of games.

Vanderbilt pulls its weight and nobody resents them - within the SEC.

07-coffee3
12-01-2020 08:34 AM
Heisman

It doesn’t help when they are down in hoops. It spotlights a lot of what they aren’t within that conference. But, yeah, they are money in baseball. Just don’t know if people care enough about that sport overall, though it does mean something down south that it doesn’t necessarily elsewhere.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2020 09:05 AM by The Cutter of Bish.)
12-01-2020 09:00 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Plus, the SEC needs a private school.
12-01-2020 09:08 AM
Advertisement

zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
Vanderbilt would fit pretty nicely in the West Division of the AAC. I realize they're east of Memphis, but Memphis fits better with the East Division teams. It wouldn't be the most egregious geographical alignment in college football.
12-01-2020 09:14 AM
bill dazzle Online

As I have posted many times, Vanderbilt/Nashville bring multiple positives to the "SEC table" that the average fan does not see. Frank the Tank and Quo have noted this many times, too.

As Frank notes, "think like a college president" and not like a fan. The SEC presidents and ADs are pleased having VU overall as a league member. However, and as JRSEC notes, there could come a day when realignment is so dramatic that private schools such as Vanderbilt are not part of the "football equation." If so, I'm cautiously optimistic Vanderbilt will align itself in a prestigious league that does not sponsor D-I/FBS football.

Notwithstanding football, VU offers top 15 academics, a fairly strong men's and women's hoops tradition, great baseball, an extremely diverse student body (much more so than any other SEC school) and a location in the heart of a booming city with a "sexy" brand: music — and it is not limited to country music. Check our symphony hall, Third Man Records (Jack White) and soon-to-open National Museum of African American Music, among others.

OK, that's enough of my homerism.

Now we need to go find a talented young football coach.
12-01-2020 09:34 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Daz-man, I am also pro-Vandy in the SEC. Nash Vegas is the heart of the conference these days. They aren’t going anywhere.
12-01-2020 11:12 AM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
The Big 10's Vanderbilt is Northwestern. I've never liked Northwestern in the Big Ten. Back when I was there Northwestern was pretty much Vanderbilt and was dead weight. Back then the TV money wasn't as big so you didn't think of NW as "dead weight" or "an extra mouth to feed" and until Penn State came there were only 10 teams and when Penn State came there were only 11. The thing I hated about them was nobody cared when you beat them and everyone laughed at you when you lost to them. Now I see Northwestern as competition for Illinois in Chicago. If the Wildcats are competitive in the Big Ten, no one loses more than the Illini. If Northwestern were irrelevant, it helps Illinois. I'd still like Northwestern out of the Big Ten and Illinois to be the only Illinois school in the B1G just like I'm sure many schools would secretly love to be their conference's only state member and many members would block other members from their state from their conference. I honestly don't think the Big Ten "needs" Northwestern. They are in/near Chicago but I feel Illinois would deliver enough a presence in Chicago if Northwestern wasn't in the Big Ten as Illinois has many students/alum from the Chicago area. In fact, many Big Ten schools have more alum in the Chicago area than Northwestern because Northwestern is a snotty rich elitist private school. As for academics, Northwestern is the highest ranked school in the USN&WR rankings but they tend to be biased towards private schools and the Big Ten has plenty of top schools (all but Nebraska are in the AAU and most are in the Top 100).

How about Vanderbilt in the SEC? Nashville isn't Chicago. Does Tennessee have a strong presence in Nashville like Illinois has in Chicago? Do other SEC schools? Would the SEC "lose" Nashville if they dropped Vandy? Also, the SEC doesn't have as many AAU schools as the Big Ten so they might need Vanderbilt's academics more than the Big Ten needs Northwestern's academics. The Big Ten has more large states and a few more bigger cities while the SEC has more small states and fewer big cities. They might need Nashville more than the Big Ten needs Evanston (we still have Columbus, College Park is basically DC, Ann Arbor is basically Detroit, Bloomington is basically Indianapolis).

It's easy for SEC members to say Vanderbilt isn't dead weight or the Mississippi members aren't dead weight, etc. The SEC has 14 members. In football, teams only play teams in the opposite division two times every 12 years. Take a couple of teams out and the remaining teams would play more often. Or you could bring in Oklahoma and/or Texas instead. How often would teams play if there were 16 teams in the SEC? If you keep 8 game schedules, you would pretty much have to get rid of permanent cross division rivalries and you'd still only get to see the other division teams twice every 16 years. Still think Vanderbilt is worth it if it means playing Alabama fewer times? In the Big 12, everybody plays everybody every year. Now their 10 teams aren't the greatest but imagine a good 10 teams and getting to play the other 9 every year?
12-01-2020 11:40 AM
bill dazzle Online

(12-01-2020 11:12 AM)esayem Wrote:  Daz-man, I am also pro-Vandy in the SEC. Nash Vegas is the heart of the conference these days. They aren’t going anywhere.

I would prefer Vanderbilt be a member of the ACC, esayem. It simply makes more sense in so many respects. From a personal perspective, I would be very pleased to have Louisville, N.C. State and North Carolina visiting Bachelorette Bash City for games. My family and I would enjoy that.

But VU is a long-standing member of the SEC and likely to remain in the league for the long-term future barring a major college sports/league shake-up as JRsec predicts might happen.

And, yes, though some SEC fans contend NOLA, the Ham and/or ATL as the "urban heart" of the SEC, we fine folks in Music City beg to differ.
12-01-2020 12:40 PM
Advertisement

bill dazzle Online

(12-01-2020 11:40 AM)schmolik Wrote:  The Big 10's Vanderbilt is Northwestern. I've never liked Northwestern in the Big Ten. Back when I was there Northwestern was pretty much Vanderbilt and was dead weight. Back then the TV money wasn't as big so you didn't think of NW as "dead weight" or "an extra mouth to feed" and until Penn State came there were only 10 teams and when Penn State came there were only 11. The thing I hated about them was nobody cared when you beat them and everyone laughed at you when you lost to them. Now I see Northwestern as competition for Illinois in Chicago. If the Wildcats are competitive in the Big Ten, no one loses more than the Illini. If Northwestern were irrelevant, it helps Illinois. I'd still like Northwestern out of the Big Ten and Illinois to be the only Illinois school in the B1G just like I'm sure many schools would secretly love to be their conference's only state member and many members would block other members from their state from their conference. I honestly don't think the Big Ten "needs" Northwestern. They are in/near Chicago but I feel Illinois would deliver enough a presence in Chicago if Northwestern wasn't in the Big Ten as Illinois has many students/alum from the Chicago area. In fact, many Big Ten schools have more alum in the Chicago area than Northwestern because Northwestern is a snotty rich elitist private school. As for academics, Northwestern is the highest ranked school in the USN&WR rankings but they tend to be biased towards private schools and the Big Ten has plenty of top schools (all but Nebraska are in the AAU and most are in the Top 100).

How about Vanderbilt in the SEC? Nashville isn't Chicago. Does Tennessee have a strong presence in Nashville like Illinois has in Chicago? Do other SEC schools? Would the SEC "lose" Nashville if they dropped Vandy? Also, the SEC doesn't have as many AAU schools as the Big Ten so they might need Vanderbilt's academics more than the Big Ten needs Northwestern's academics. The Big Ten has more large states and a few more bigger cities while the SEC has more small states and fewer big cities. They might need Nashville more than the Big Ten needs Evanston (we still have Columbus, College Park is basically DC, Ann Arbor is basically Detroit, Bloomington is basically Indianapolis).

It's easy for SEC members to say Vanderbilt isn't dead weight or the Mississippi members aren't dead weight, etc. The SEC has 14 members. In football, teams only play teams in the opposite division two times every 12 years. Take a couple of teams out and the remaining teams would play more often. Or you could bring in Oklahoma and/or Texas instead. How often would teams play if there were 16 teams in the SEC? If you keep 8 game schedules, you would pretty much have to get rid of permanent cross division rivalries and you'd still only get to see the other division teams twice every 16 years. Still think Vanderbilt is worth it if it means playing Alabama fewer times? In the Big 12, everybody plays everybody every year. Now their 10 teams aren't the greatest but imagine a good 10 teams and getting to play the other 9 every year?

SEC fans like having Vanderbilt in the league because they enjoy visiting Nashville to see their football programs play here. VU/Nashville offer a strong road trip. It truly is that simple. It's easy for out-of-town SEC fans to get a ticket for games here — and the trip is manageable because Music City is fairly centrally located in the SEC footprint. Furthermore, the visiting fans have fun before and after the game (often a victory for them, which adds to the happiness) with all the music and bars the city offers.

Northwestern/Chicago (and likely no other private schools in P5 leagues) do not offer the same dynamic in the Big Ten that Vanderbilt/Nashville offer in the SEC related to college football road trips. And as somebody who once lived in Chicago (I love the city), ... I would hope I have a feel for this.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2020 12:54 PM by bill dazzle.)
12-01-2020 12:52 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Whether Tennessee/Illinois deliver a presence in Nashville/Chicago is irrelevant to the value of Vanderbilt/Northwestern to those leagues. The point is you're playing games *in* those areas -- which not only is direct access to recruiting students and athletes, but also engages your alumni bases in those cities. Many teams having more alums in Chicago than Northwestern is a reason to have Northwestern in the league -- if your school has that many alums in the city of another member, that gives your school an opportunity to reconnect with alums and get them giving back to your school. Reconnecting and renetworking your alums for donations is a money generator. Furthermore, every B1G/SEC school wants to be associated with Northwestern/Vanderbilt academically -- Northwestern is a top-10 school.

"Think like a university president, not a fan" - this is a perfect example of that quote repeated many times here.
12-01-2020 01:19 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(12-01-2020 12:52 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  SEC fans like having Vanderbilt in the league because they enjoy visiting Nashville to see their football programs play here. VU/Nashville offer a strong road trip. It truly is that simple. It's easy for out-of-town SEC fans to get a ticket for games here — and the trip is manageable because Music City is fairly centrally located in the SEC footprint. Furthermore, the visiting fans have fun before and after the game (often a victory for them, which adds to the happiness) with all the music and bars the city offers.

Yes, especially for teams in the West. For a team like LSU, a trip to Vanderbilt often comes only every 8 or so years, so it is a treat when it happens. I remember 5-6 years ago when LSU played in the Music City Bowl, some of my Baton Rouge friends went because they had always wanted to visit Nashville but had never done so. There was a measure of excitement when they got that bid even though it was a lesser bowl than what had been anticipated during the season.

And that's another thing about Vanderbilt: While the South is deeply populist, it also has a strong social class hierarchy tradition. Vanderbilt represents the elite, genteel aspect of the South, which carries weight, especially in the deeper areas of the region. Their is a mystique about the Southern elite that is feared but respected among the masses. So Vanderbilt is respected like the rich old uncle of the family even among those who criticize it for having lousy football teams. States like Tennessee and Virginia are figuratively, not just geographically looked up to by many in the deep south, in an aspirational sense. Vanderbilt embodies that feeling.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2020 01:24 PM by quo vadis.)
12-01-2020 01:22 PM
bill dazzle Online

(12-01-2020 01:22 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(12-01-2020 12:52 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  SEC fans like having Vanderbilt in the league because they enjoy visiting Nashville to see their football programs play here. VU/Nashville offer a strong road trip. It truly is that simple. It's easy for out-of-town SEC fans to get a ticket for games here — and the trip is manageable because Music City is fairly centrally located in the SEC footprint. Furthermore, the visiting fans have fun before and after the game (often a victory for them, which adds to the happiness) with all the music and bars the city offers.

Yes, especially for teams in the West. For a team like LSU, a trip to Vanderbilt often comes only every 8 or so years, so it is a treat when it happens. I remember 5-6 years ago when LSU played in the Music City Bowl, some of my Baton Rouge friends went because they had always wanted to visit Nashville but had never done so. There was a measure of excitement when they got that bid even though it was a lesser bowl than what had been anticipated during the season.

And that's another thing about Vanderbilt: While the South is deeply populist, it also has a strong social class hierarchy tradition. Vanderbilt represents the elite, genteel aspect of the South, which carries weight, especially in the deeper areas of the region. Their is a mystique about the Southern elite that is feared but respected among the masses. So Vanderbilt is respected like the rich old uncle of the family even among those who criticize it for having lousy football teams. States like Tennessee and Virginia are figuratively, not just geographically looked up to by many in the deep south, in an aspirational sense. Vanderbilt embodies that feeling.

Presented in a precise and spot-on manner, befitting of a man who toils in academia.

Well done, my friend.

And now I shall commence with referring to myself on this board from this point forward as "Genteel" Bill Dazzle.
12-01-2020 01:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.