Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Basketball Activities Frozen Until December 14th Due to Covid
Bookmark and Share
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: William & Mary
Posted this in the NC State thread but didn't want it buried.

"The Tribe will not travel to Raleigh, N.C., for Monday night's game at NC State. Games at home against Hampton (Dec. 3), at George Washington (Dec. 5), at Norfolk State (Dec. 9) and at Virginia (Dec. 12) will not be played as scheduled.

Barring any additional setbacks, the program aims to return to activity on Monday, Dec. 14."
https://tribeathletics.com/news/2020/11/...tocol.aspx

1st game back, barring more cases or rescheduled games, is the December 19th game vs High Point.
11-30-2020 08:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ColonelEbirt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
What a huge bummer. No practices for 2 weeks will really delay development of our young team. Hope they keep their spirits high and support each other these next few weeks. Huge test of mental toughness, focus, and discipline.

This essentially means the first half of conference play will be like our OOC “get a feel for the team” schedule. And then the 2nd half of conference play should be when we’re coming into our own.

Fingers crossed everyone is okay and the quarantine stops at 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-30-2020 08:55 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
RE: Basketball Activities Frozen Until December 14th Due to Covid
This is just the beginning. Take a look at the sports that do not operate in a bubble and tell me how that's going. NFL, college football........time to figure out where are priorities are. These aren't pro athletes and we don't have unlimited support for testing. At least the semester is over.
11-30-2020 09:01 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

I haven't seen any talk of it, but if it was a student athlete that played Saturday, doesn't that mean ODU players would need to sit for a quarantine period as well? Makes me think it was a coach or member of the support staff.
11-30-2020 10:17 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I also wonder if they got it at ODU or if the tier 1 person was at the game. This is why this stuff is so hard to deal with.
11-30-2020 10:20 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-30-2020 10:20 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  I also wonder if they got it at ODU or if the tier 1 person was at the game. This is why this stuff is so hard to deal with.
Not impossible, but not likely that it was transmitted and triggered a positive test in less than 48hrs from contact. Typically, incubation to being infectious is closer to 5 days. That's what makes the ODU situation delicate. If we exposed ODU players, guys will just begin to get infectious by their Wednesday game vs Norfolk State.
11-30-2020 10:45 AM
Advertisement

Zorch Online
All American

Hopefully a second test was taken to prove that the first one was not a false positive.
11-30-2020 11:22 AM
wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
This is what a lot in the college basketball world have been talking about and I've been "worried" about for the Tribe.

The protocol for a positive test have such a meaningful impact. I'm not even making a value judgment on whether the protocols are right or wrong, just that the impact is so large.

This is what makes me continue to question how in the world we have a meaningful season. If we scratch something out, what happens when a tournament team gets a diagnosis the morning of round 1 games?
11-30-2020 12:23 PM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

I wonder if it would be possible to get another game between High Point on Dec 19 and Hofstra on Jan 2nd. With how young this team is any extra reps are gonna help, even if it's against a D3 school or something.
11-30-2020 01:29 PM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

(11-30-2020 01:29 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  I wonder if it would be possible to get another game between High Point on Dec 19 and Hofstra on Jan 2nd. With how young this team is any extra reps are gonna help, even if it's against a D3 school or something.

I think it would be nice to let them go home for the holidays. As of now, only athletes are on campus and that's the case for two months.
11-30-2020 01:52 PM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

(11-30-2020 01:52 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  
(11-30-2020 01:29 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  I wonder if it would be possible to get another game between High Point on Dec 19 and Hofstra on Jan 2nd. With how young this team is any extra reps are gonna help, even if it's against a D3 school or something.

I think it would be nice to let them go home for the holidays. As of now, only athletes are on campus and that's the case for two months.

I suppose I can see an argument that letting college kids see their family may be a better thing to do then having them beat the Apprentice School by 50 for my entertainment...
11-30-2020 02:42 PM
Advertisement

Tribester Offline
Banned

If this ridiculous protocol of shutting the whole freaking team down for two weeks because of just ONE positive test is going to continue, then just pull the plug until next season. Complete insanity!
11-30-2020 04:04 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

Programs on pause according to Jon Rothstein-

Alabama St
Alcorn St
Akron
BCookman
Bellarmine
Butler
CSF
CSU
DSU
Fresno St
GWebb
Ivy
Maine
Manhattan
Milwaukee
Monmouth
Niagara
NJIT
NE
NAU
NKU
NColorado
Ole Miss
OU
RMU
SHeart
SD
SFA
SBU
St. Joe's
TU
Tenn
UVM
WSU
Wright St
UMass
UMES
Utah
UTEP
Vandy
W&M
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2020 04:10 PM by mrjoolius.)
11-30-2020 04:07 PM
wml33t Offline
1st String

(11-30-2020 04:04 PM)Tribester Wrote:  If this ridiculous protocol of shutting the whole freaking team down for two weeks because of just ONE positive test is going to continue, then just pull the plug until next season. Complete insanity!

I'm going to (intentionally) avoid the question of whether these protocols are appropriate or not. That's not the debate I come here for.

That being said, I do agree with part of your message here. IF these are the protocols, then I don't see the point in having a season. I think that could have been predicted in advance, but seeing it in action I think there is no doubt.

The problem is... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
11-30-2020 04:11 PM
ColonelEbirt Offline
Special Teams

(11-30-2020 04:07 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  Programs on pause according to Jon Rothstein-

Alabama St
Alcorn St
Akron
BCookman
Bellarmine
Butler
CSF
CSU
DSU
Fresno St
GWebb
Ivy
Maine
Manhattan
Milwaukee
Monmouth
Niagara
NJIT
NE
NAU
NKU
NColorado
Ole Miss
OU
RMU
SHeart
SD
SFA
SBU
St. Joe's
TU
Tenn
UVM
WSU
Wright St
UMass
UMES
Utah
UTEP
Vandy
W&M

Very few Power5 schools on this list. Is everyone operating with different protocols? Different by school? By conference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-30-2020 04:12 PM
wml33t Offline
1st String

Saw a tweet that looks like you can add Towson to the list.
11-30-2020 04:20 PM
Advertisement

WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(11-30-2020 04:04 PM)Tribester Wrote:  If this ridiculous protocol of shutting the whole freaking team down for two weeks because of just ONE positive test is going to continue, then just pull the plug until next season. Complete insanity!

You have the scoop that it was "just ONE positive test"? I hadn't seen anything that gave specifics.
11-30-2020 04:22 PM
wml33t Offline
1st String

In fairness to Tribester, I had seen one from David Teel as well.

But, later on...

Quote:@ByDavidTeel
Actually, five.

https://twitter.com/ByDavidTeel/status/1...71904?s=20
11-30-2020 04:37 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(11-30-2020 04:20 PM)wml33t Wrote:  Saw a tweet that looks like you can add Towson to the list.

Towson played UVA last Wednesday 11/25(in that bubble tourney in Conn). So contact tracing becomes key as does when the positive occurred. Hypothetically, if some Towson players had it Wednesday, then there is a lot of testing that will need to be done. But, even with a negative test, you have the quarantine for 14 days due to the virus can take that long to show as positive on parties that had exposure. It is a very difficult and fluid process given all of the parties that interact with each other. Football is similar(although less games). Look at Florida State just as one example. In the last few weeks, there have been multiple games around the country that were just cancelled, not postponed. Frankly, the NBA due primarily to a tight bubble and nearly full isolation worked, not sure how anything will work as well. A bubble isn't realistic for college sports due to the size required.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2020 04:44 PM by TribePride91.)
11-30-2020 04:44 PM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

(11-30-2020 04:37 PM)wml33t Wrote:  In fairness to Tribester, I had seen one from David Teel as well.

But, later on...

Quote:@ByDavidTeel
Actually, five.

https://twitter.com/ByDavidTeel/status/1...71904?s=20

This is totally different. So, where did it come from? I guess they are employing contact tracing, but someone broke protocol. If five have it, I'm amazed that more don't have it.

I'm sure ODU is pissed.
11-30-2020 05:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.