Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Penny needs an Antonio Burks
Bookmark and Share
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Ligers
Penny needs an Antonio Burks
Penny needs a strong, athletic pg with some size who can push the ball and put pressure on teams and draw fouls.

A dawg. Simple. Murrell maybe would've sufficed??

Penny hasn't had a dawg at guard yet. Need a pg who knows how to draw contact on the bigs to get them out the game. Alo wanted no parts of driving it into Bassey's domain. Don't think he attempted a layup all game. Did he attempt one in the first game?

That's not going to cut it especially if he's not able to excel at setting up plays for others....
11-26-2020 02:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

RE: Penny needs an Antonio Burks
Btw, Alo shooting 28% from the field for the season.

A recipe for disaster. Unable to get easy buckets, or get to the foul line. Teams don't fear any aspect of his game offensively so the shade his defense onto other tiger players.

Need a ball wizard who can attack and create for himself or others instead of the turning fadeaway shots in crunch time without passing....
11-26-2020 02:51 PM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
Alo isnt the answer.

Penny might love him but he doesn't have it upstairs.

Maybe Nolley needs to be our PG, at least he is a dawg.

If not Nolley then Baugh.

Glad we didn't get embarrassed by Huggins

Why aren't we creating more for Quinones? Dude can shoot.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2020 03:02 PM by MemphisTigerPawr.)
11-26-2020 03:01 PM
tkgrrett Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Im not convinced Boogie and Baugh arent already the answers.

Boogie maybe shoots a little much and Baugh can get better making decisions but offense at least looks threatening with the ball in their hands.
11-26-2020 03:19 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
With the scheme Penny is runny...Penny needs a Penny.
11-26-2020 03:22 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(11-26-2020 03:19 PM)tkgrrett Wrote:  Im not convinced Boogie and Baugh arent already the answers.

Boogie maybe shoots a little much and Baugh can get better making decisions but offense at least looks threatening with the ball in their hands.

I think Baugh is athletic enough to get it done...He isn't going to be a knock down shooter this year but with some instruction I think he can be competent running the point. But we are going to need to run more than just the high screen and roll
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2020 03:24 PM by macgar32.)
11-26-2020 03:23 PM
Advertisement

tkgrrett Offline
All American

(11-26-2020 03:23 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(11-26-2020 03:19 PM)tkgrrett Wrote:  Im not convinced Boogie and Baugh arent already the answers.

I think Baugh is athletic enough to get it done...He isn't going to be a knock down shooter this year but with some instruction I think he can be competent.

Yep. But dont think he needs to be knockdown with his atheleticism. Just needs to be enough of a threat that the defense has to respond to him and actually closeout/roatate. Right now we do nothing to make the defense move at all either on ball or off ball.
11-26-2020 03:28 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I still don't understand how Lomax doesn't have a 3 point shot...

He knew that was a requirement for him to be a high level contributor.
11-26-2020 03:32 PM
Rufus T. Firefly Offline
1st String

There is not one guy who is the traditional, prototypical pg on our roster. We run almost no offensive sets and I don't know if I saw a pass from the wing to a posted up interior guy the last 2 games. Lester is not the second coming of Steph Curry. The only games we will not struggle to win are the games where we simply outclass the opponent athletically.I have loved Penny since the early nineties but it has become clear to me he will never be a Final Four level coach..only a get a bid by winning the conference tourney level coach.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2020 03:48 PM by Rufus T. Firefly.)
11-26-2020 03:41 PM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline

Donators
(11-26-2020 03:32 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  I still don't understand how Lomax doesn't have a 3 point shot...

He doesn't have a 2 point shot
11-26-2020 03:41 PM
tkgrrett Offline
All American

(11-26-2020 03:32 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  I still don't understand how Lomax doesn't have a 3 point shot...

Just watched Gonzaga run the high-ball screen offense Penny is trying to run but with Jalen Suggs and it made me even more convinced Boogie or Baugh need to be primary lead guards.

If you the guy running it
1) wont shoot when the defender goes deep underneath the screen;
2) Isnt a threat to relocate to the corner after a pass and shoot the corner 3; and
3) doesnt have athleticism to build head of steam and attack basket

Then the defense doesnt have to do anything at all.. your offense literally has no shot of working.
11-26-2020 03:55 PM
Advertisement

batman Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(11-26-2020 03:01 PM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  Alo isnt the answer.

Are you sure about that ...: I see LQ shoot more bricks than anything
11-26-2020 04:25 PM
passat25 Offline
Heisman

Only Penny knows why Lomax is the starting PG... He dribbles the ball to death.. Like someone stated, he doesn't even have a 2 point shot!
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2020 04:31 PM by passat25.)
11-26-2020 04:27 PM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline

Donators
(11-26-2020 04:25 PM)batman Wrote:  
(11-26-2020 03:01 PM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  Alo isnt the answer.

Are you sure about that ...: I see LQ shoot more bricks than anything

I'm sure.
11-26-2020 05:09 PM
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

Dynamic playmaker.

Bad Boys commentators just mentioned not having dynamic playmaker is enough to keep a team from reaching the level of play the team desires. This has been Memphis issue the last 3 years with Alo.

A dynamic playmaker who can drive, collapse the D and kick for easy shots or drive and create contact helps maintain the offensive continuity. A pg who does none of that will be a hindrance to the team
11-26-2020 05:33 PM
CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

Laphonso Ellis just mentioned the pg issue with Memphis and how it's affecting players like DJ. THIS is what I've been saying the last 3 years. Teams know they don't have to respect the starting pg in any way on the offensive end.... go underneath screens and he's not a threat to shoot the 3. He's not a catch and shoot threat nor a threat off the dribble or on the drive
11-26-2020 05:33 PM
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-26-2020 02:46 PM)CUSA_NEWS Wrote:  Penny needs a strong, athletic pg with some size who can push the ball and put pressure on teams and draw fouls.

A dawg. Simple. Murrell maybe would've sufficed??

Penny hasn't had a dawg at guard yet. Need a pg who knows how to draw contact on the bigs to get them out the game. Alo wanted no parts of driving it into Bassey's domain. Don't think he attempted a layup all game. Did he attempt one in the first game?

That's not going to cut it especially if he's not able to excel at setting up plays for others....

I'd say Boogie fits the bill, just needs minutes & assurance he's going to run the team, stay on the floor. With assurance of minutes, Boogie won't play to get his points so much, rather he'll let the game come to him as he includes others. He's about the best we have going to the basket & probably the best we have from the perimeter when he's on.
11-26-2020 05:38 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(11-26-2020 05:33 PM)CUSA_NEWS Wrote:  Laphonso Ellis just mentioned the pg issue with Memphis and how it's affecting players like DJ. THIS is what I've been saying the last 3 years. Teams know they don't have to respect the starting pg in any way on the offensive end.... go underneath screens and he's not a threat to shoot the 3. He's not a catch and shoot threat nor a threat off the dribble or on the drive

You cant lay DJs lack of success at the feet of any guard.

He is catching the ball at the top and on the wing...That is where he wants to be.
11-26-2020 05:46 PM
tkgrrett Offline
All American

(11-26-2020 05:33 PM)CUSA_NEWS Wrote:  Laphonso Ellis just mentioned the pg issue with Memphis and how it's affecting players like DJ. THIS is what I've been saying the last 3 years. Teams know they don't have to respect the starting pg in any way on the offensive end.... go underneath screens and he's not a threat to shoot the 3. He's not a catch and shoot threat nor a threat off the dribble or on the drive

Exactly. Im just a dumb outsider but it feels like the success of half our "sets" are just completely dependent on the defense making a horrible mistake, not trying to create an advantage or force a real decision.

Like what advantage do we create with a one-pass wing drive to DJ? We dont move the ball side to side to move the defense so it only works if the defender is just out of position.

What advantage does a Cisse-Lomax high screen create? It only works if the defender forgets to drop into contain or the big chases high for some unknown reason.

Lomax in a P&R. Laughable.

Why arent we creating mismatches with high-low actions with DJ/Nolley initiating when a small guard ends up on LQ?

Why didnt we kill them with repeated P&R or High-Ball screens with a Big plus Boogie?

Why dont we have off ball actions with LQ/Nolley moving off screens and one of our long athletes flashing for a paint touch.

What happened to the the Dandridge high-post action we saw last year?
11-26-2020 06:14 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
(11-26-2020 05:46 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

You cant lay DJs lack of success at the feet of any guard.

He is catching the ball at the top and on the wing...That is where he wants to be.
Yeah, I agree with that. While the PGs arent doing him many favors, at the same time, his issues fall squarely on him.
11-26-2020 06:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.