Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Football Goal or Standard
Bookmark and Share
ljmhurons Offline
1st String

I Root For: emu
Football Goal or Standard
Our football program is adrift. We have no standard to what a good season is. We're already making excuses about being young. The reason we're young is that our recruits that should be jr and srs aren't ready. That's on the coaches.

In his seventh season another losing season season seems all but written in stone. Where on Earth would that be acceptable?

I like CC too, but eventually he has to win something.
11-13-2020 12:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

fanfrompowellspub Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: EMU
RE: Football Goal or Standard
I think next year you need to win the Michigan MAC trophy as a bare minimum.
11-13-2020 01:33 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
(11-13-2020 12:30 PM)ljmhurons Wrote:  Our football program is adrift. We have no standard to what a good season is. We're already making excuses about being young. The reason we're young is that our recruits that should be jr and srs aren't ready. That's on the coaches.

In his seventh season another losing season season seems all but written in stone. Where on Earth would that be acceptable?

Making and losing bowl games got a building named after Bo down at UM so I guess I'm cool with it here too
11-13-2020 01:36 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

Hate that I'm doing this, but I'm buying into this year being too strange to use it against the staff.

Given the young talent we have this year, I am putting more pressure on the 2021 team to win.

We need to have a winning season in 2021 or I think the seat gets a little hot.
11-13-2020 03:50 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(11-13-2020 03:50 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  Hate that I'm doing this, but I'm buying into this year being too strange to use it against the staff.

Given the young talent we have this year, I am putting more pressure on the 2021 team to win.

Yeah i mean unless he goes 0-6 and 4 of those losses are blowouts and he just straight up loses the team - he's fine. This feels like an 8-4 team next year though. Also - Frank Solich has technically never won the MAC - just the MAC East and it took him 7 seasons until he won a bowl game
11-13-2020 03:53 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Covid 19 how,does any coach have control over that?
It's not fair to measure players and coaches in these circumstances.
Ditto hoops.
11-13-2020 05:31 PM
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(11-13-2020 03:50 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  Hate that I'm doing this, but I'm buying into this year being too strange to use it against the staff.

This is where I am as well, but I need to see massive improvement on the defensive side of the ball next season to have confidence in Creighton moving forward. I love the man and what he’s done for the program, but I think he is regressing. 2021 needs to be the year we truly contend for a MACC, or I think we need to move on.
11-13-2020 06:16 PM
ljmhurons Offline
1st String

(11-13-2020 01:36 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(11-13-2020 12:30 PM)ljmhurons Wrote:  Our football program is adrift. We have no standard to what a good season is. We're already making excuses about being young. The reason we're young is that our recruits that should be jr and srs aren't ready. That's on the coaches.

Making and losing bowl games got a building named after Bo down at UM so I guess I'm cool with it here too
You don't really believe that, do you?

BS went 58-7-1 in his first six seasons at uofm. He finished ranked in the top 10 every year and came in first in the league five times.
11-13-2020 07:13 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(11-13-2020 05:31 PM)emu79 Wrote:  Covid 19 how,does any coach have control over that?
Ditto hoops.

100% agree. The 2019 NCAA coach of the year at LSU has a 2-3 record to date, but thanks to a Covid 19 postponement, will dodge an almost certain fourth loss this weekend. This is not a valid season in any way, shape or form.

Creighton is under contract through 2022. Thus any conversation of cutting him loose is at a minimum a year away, unless of course the one originating such talk now has the million dollars ready to buy him out and more $$$ to attract a better candidate. I, for one, do not.
11-13-2020 07:19 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

(11-13-2020 07:19 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(11-13-2020 05:31 PM)emu79 Wrote:  Covid 19 how,does any coach have control over that?
Ditto hoops.

100% agree. The 2019 NCAA coach of the year at LSU has a 2-3 record to date, but thanks to a Covid 19 postponement, will dodge an almost certain fourth loss this weekend. This is not a valid season in any way, shape or form.

Creighton is under contract through 2022. Thus any conversation of cutting him loose is at a minimum a year away, unless of course the one originating such talk now has the million dollars ready to buy him out and more $$$ to attract a better candidate. I, for one, do not.

I love what CC has done and in no way do I want him gone. I just know that next year given all the returners (I believe if every player gets an extra yr of eligibility that we will have our entire Oline back, right?) we should be ranked high in the MAC. If we can't stack up at least 7 wins in 2021, then.......
11-13-2020 09:19 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-13-2020 09:19 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  
(11-13-2020 07:19 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
Ditto hoops.

I love what CC has done and in no way do I want him gone. I just know that next year given all the returners (I believe if every player gets an extra yr of eligibility that we will have our entire Oline back, right?) we should be ranked high in the MAC. If we can't stack up at least 7 wins in 2021, then.......

And who do you think will do a better job than CC at his salary?
11-14-2020 07:40 AM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Online
Heisman

The expectations have certainly changed for EMU football. It wasn't too long ago when we'd look at the schedule and mark the 3 or 4 games that were winnable. Now we consider every game winnable. We just need the breakthrough season that gets us to the MACC. In my opinion, the missing element is the defense. It just seems the team is missing the physical nastiness on D this year. That said, Kent is a damn good team and BSU is solid with Huntley (EMU wins that game easily if it wasn't for him).
11-14-2020 08:05 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(11-14-2020 08:05 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  The expectations have certainly changed for EMU football. It wasn't too long ago when we'd look at the schedule and mark the 3 or 4 games that were winnable. Now we consider every game winnable. We just need the breakthrough season that gets us to the MACC. In my opinion, the missing element is the defense. It just seems the team is missing the physical nastiness on D this year. That said, Kent is a damn good team and BSU is solid with Huntley (EMU wins that game easily if it wasn't for him).

Agree, 'Nickle. With the way this season has gone with restricted contact, practice, etc. tackling has been. 03-banghead
11-14-2020 09:01 AM
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

I think it's easy to lose perspective. While of course I'd like to take that next step and make and win a MAC title game and bowl game, the grass isn't always greener. These past four (now into five) season, while having lots of heart break, have also been full a lot of fun and enjoyable moments and games. Even this year, the two losses have been close, fun, entertaining games. In the past very few games were worth sticking with until the end. Lets highlight a few items:

-Over the past four season we have averaged 6.25 wins a year
-15-17 in the MAC (now 15-19)
-I think the stat they said during the Ball State game was something like 30 of the last 50 games have been one score games
-Three bowl games, yes all losses but all close, entertaining games including one against a big name program (Pitt)
-Wins AT Rutgers, AT Purdue, and AT Illinois (our first wins against big ten schools)
-Competitive games on the road against brand name schools like Kentucky, Army, SDSU
-In 2018 we were a missed chip shot FG and 3OT loss against NIU from making the MAC title game
-A player (Maxx) being a relatively high draft pick, who has made a major impact in the NFL and promotes the program
-Maxx and Brogan both being on hard knocks and wearing or talking about Eastern
-Multiple mentions on ESPN Gameday, usually in regards to Bear talking about betting us using the line. So in a positive way.
-Many positive off-field things going on. Other than maybe the Glass "punch" there really haven't been any bad press
-An uptick in recruiting the past couple years
-The team as a whole has done well in the classroom
-(Sort of an opinion thing) but when you see guys interviewed, I always seem to find them as either polite, respectful, thought, or a goofy, fun loving kid. I can't remember a guy I thought "he seems like he's probably a jerk" (ala Aaron Rodgers).
-The parents of players we've had on this board seem to be happy with the coaches/program

For the prior 30-40 years there was NONE of that. I look at a college football program differently than an NFL organization. Frankly, I don't care about any off-field issues with NFL teams (the lions for me), just win. For a college program I think those things matter. Yes you have to win, but there are so many other issues that go into being a successful college program and I the CC has done great at that. In my opinion we have a great shot at getting to the MAC title game under CC, heck we nearly made it two years ago. Who knows though, maybe it never happens.

So, assuming you've enjoyed these past five years as much as I have, you have to ask yourself are you willing to give that up? I understand the temptation of saying "hey CC has gotten us to that line, we need to hire that next guy to get us over the line!" (how did that work for the Lions, ie Caldwell to Patricia?). Who is that guy? I certainly don't have an answer to that. Will that guy also run into some of the limitations built into the program and win but not get to the MAC title game? Also, the odds are that guy would NOT be successful. The greatest indicator of future behavior is past behavior, and lets be honest; Eastern's past as a football program is that of a stone-cold loser. Under CC, we have become a respectable, .500 MAC football program. In my opinion, CC has us in a spot to stay in the position with a great shot to bust through and get to a MAC title game, and given that he has the foundation already built I think he has a better shot at doing that than any (realistic) coaching candidate would.

I'll stick with the devil I know than the devil I don't.
11-14-2020 09:57 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

The recent posts on this thread may be the most cogent I have read in some time. Chris Creighton has indeed transformed the program and he built it correctly, getting absolutely shellacked his first two seasons, suspending the two greatest players of his tenure (Crosby and Roback), allowing bad actors like Kilby and Aristilde to move on, etc... If one were to compare his performance metrics to his five predecessors, I not only think he would compare favorably, I think he would tower over them.

I think Creighton as far as Ypsilanti is concerned has become a victim of his own success, we have been irrelevant for so long but now that we have smelled competitiveness, we want more and we want it now. Nationally, however, his accomplishments are revered as his name is often mentioned for any coaching vacancy. Purdue, MSU, Rutgers to name a few. Had he won a MAC Championship last year, he and his Mr. Clean image would be coaching in East Lansing this season for sure.

I suppose it boils down to your expectations. I'm a Lions fan and I would be delighted to have lost four Super Bowls in a row like the Buffalo Bills did. As an EMU fan, I wish we could have gotten Frank Solich and his 76-46 MAC record although never winning a MAC Championship.

I am certain that if EMU won the MAC under Creighton he would immediately be enticed to leave by a bigger program. Babers at BG, Campbell at Toledo, Fleck at WMU and Carey at NIU recently did so. Ask those programs how happy they are with the replacements.
11-14-2020 05:58 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
I'm glad we score more than MSU and UofM. Not believing what I'm seeing...

The combined records of Lions, and UofM/MSU/EMU is not good this year.
11-14-2020 09:16 PM
Advertisement

EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
(11-14-2020 09:16 PM)emu steve Wrote:  I'm glad we score more than MSU and UofM. Not believing what I'm seeing...

The combined records of Lions, and UofM/MSU/EMU is not good this year.

Phenomenal point! 11 points between the 2! Harbaugh needs to resign tomorrow! Sorry, this team quit on him! Matt Campbell at Iowa State formerly Toledo, or Joe Brady who was at LSU would be my picks! Luke Fickell, but Cincinnati's the better program currently, and row the boat isn't working this year!
11-14-2020 10:59 PM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

In my time at EMU (Fall '04 - Spring '07) we went 13-33 and hardly looked like we belonged on the same field as our opponent when we'd get a money game against a P5 school.

CC has made rooting for EMU fun. I tell my dad all the time that we are an F'd team... Frisky, Frustrating, and five-hundred. To me, finishing with bowl eligibility and competing for a chance to make the MAC championship game are so fun, and I don't want to experience the hopelessness that I did from 2004-2013.

It seems that we've had a harder time replacing defensive talent over the last 3-4 seasons than on the offensive side of the ball. As exciting as it would be to have the entire O-Line back in 2021, I'm hoping for VAST improvement and immediate help on the D-Line.

Do I think CC has become a victim of his own success? Sure.
Would I rather have someone else leading that program? Absolutely not.

The perception of the FB program is still up. Unlike MBB, which has been stagnant to downward for years. Another thread for another time I suppose.
11-16-2020 04:19 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(11-16-2020 04:19 PM)truEMU07 Wrote:  In my time at EMU (Fall '04 - Spring '07) we went 13-33 and hardly looked like we belonged on the same field as our opponent when we'd get a money game against a P5 school.

CC has made rooting for EMU fun. I tell my dad all the time that we are an F'd team... Frisky, Frustrating, and five-hundred. To me, finishing with bowl eligibility and competing for a chance to make the MAC championship game are so fun, and I don't want to experience the hopelessness that I did from 2004-2013.

It seems that we've had a harder time replacing defensive talent over the last 3-4 seasons than on the offensive side of the ball. As exciting as it would be to have the entire O-Line back in 2021, I'm hoping for VAST improvement and immediate help on the D-Line.

The perception of the FB program is still up. Unlike MBB, which has been stagnant to downward for years. Another thread for another time I suppose.

Look if he goes 36-36 over the next three years with no bowl wins maybe ill change my mind but i agree whole heartedly with this.
11-16-2020 04:41 PM
TheWoodenNickle Online
Heisman

(11-16-2020 04:41 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(11-16-2020 04:19 PM)truEMU07 Wrote:  In my time at EMU (Fall '04 - Spring '07) we went 13-33 and hardly looked like we belonged on the same field as our opponent when we'd get a money game against a P5 school.

Look if he goes 36-36 over the next three years with no bowl wins maybe ill change my mind but i agree whole heartedly with this.
36-36 over 3 years? That's 24 games per year! We're gonna be making up for 2020.

Just messing with you.
11-16-2020 06:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.