Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New JMU Basketball Arena
jmu18 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU
MyBB New JMU Basketball Arena
Wanted to get some opinions from some non-JMU fans on our new basketball arena. Our first home game was supposed to be a packed house vs. defending champs UVA... unfortunately COVID spoiled those plans. I'd probably have to say our arena is top tier for a mid-major program (8,500 seat capacity)! Complete with a super nice club room, practice court, and a student club as well.

[Image: AtlanticUnionBankCenter_10162020_02.jpg?...;mode=crop]
[Image: AtlanticUnionBankCenter_10162020_03.jpg?...;mode=crop]
[Image: 102220_06.JPG?width=1000&height=...;mode=crop]
11-05-2020 11:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: New JMU Basketball Arena
(11-05-2020 11:43 AM)jmu18 Wrote:  Wanted to get some opinions from some non-JMU fans on our new basketball arena.

It looks phenomenal, clean state of the art lines inside and out, and rep points for posting the pics. But just curious - where did the money come from? IIRC, JMU has an enormously subsidized athletic program, and budgets are very tight, no?
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2020 11:50 AM by quo vadis.)
11-05-2020 11:49 AM
jmu18 Offline
2nd String

(11-05-2020 11:49 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-05-2020 11:43 AM)jmu18 Wrote:  Wanted to get some opinions from some non-JMU fans on our new basketball arena.

It looks phenomenal, clean state of the art lines inside and out, and rep points for posting the pics. But just curious - where did the money come from? IIRC, JMU has an enormously subsidized athletic program, and budgets are very tight, no?

Great question, while I don't know the exact answer, here is some insight. Fundraising has been going on for the arena since 2015/16 I believe. I think the last number I heard raised for the arena was around $12 Million as of 2018. I believe that includes sponsorships and naming rights. The arena cost >$100 Million.

*quick edit* - just wanted to add that among mid-major and G5 programs, the JMU athletic budget is at the top of the list - although largely subsidized by student fees and state contributions.

A large portion of the JMU Athletic budget is from student fees. Now I am unsure if this arena was funded from other money sources outside of the athletic budget. I would assume so since it is campus construction (this arena is not solely for basketball programs, plans to host concerts, trade shows, etc. are in the works).
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2020 12:07 PM by jmu18.)
11-05-2020 12:04 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Why is the second level only along the baselines? Seems like over half of the seating is up in the rafters along the baseline and have a poor view of the court.

Butler used to have this setup too, but in 1933 they switched the court layout from east-west to north-south to correct it. They lost about 4,000 seats in the process, but it was a much-needed change.

Original setup in 1928:
[Image: b9fb571a1da2e83c76df8dc8a71dc52a.jpg]

Setup today:
[Image: butler-vs-isu.jpg]
11-05-2020 12:05 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(11-05-2020 12:05 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Why is the second level only along the baselines? Seems like over half of the seating is up in the rafters along the baseline and have a poor view of the court.

I may be in the minority, but if I am in the upper section of a hoops arena, I like the view from behind the baseline better than from the side. In contrast, if I am lucky to be in the lower bowl, then I like the side view, basically the view you get on TV.

But there's something about the nosebleed sideline view that I do not like, the back/front view from behind the baseline allows me to see the action better.

So I like the JMU setup.
11-05-2020 12:09 PM
jmu18 Offline
2nd String

[quote='Captain Bearcat' pid='17078466' dateline='1604595944']
Why is the second level only along the baselines? Seems like over half of the seating is up in the rafters along the baseline and have a poor view of the court.

Second level goes 3/4 of the way around, here is a seating chart. Actually unsure why they didn't go all the way around. I am assuming space issues on the plot of land.

[Image: MBB_FULL.jpg]
11-05-2020 12:10 PM
Advertisement

mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(11-05-2020 12:04 PM)jmu18 Wrote:  
(11-05-2020 11:49 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Great question, while I don't know the exact answer, here is some insight. Fundraising has been going on for the arena since 2015/16 I believe. I think the last number I heard raised for the arena was around $12 Million as of 2018. I believe that includes sponsorships and naming rights. The arena cost >$100 Million.

*quick edit* - just wanted to add that among mid-major and G5 programs, the JMU athletic budget is at the top of the list - although largely subsidized by student fees and state contributions.

A large portion of the JMU Athletic budget is from student fees. Now I am unsure if this arena was funded from other money sources outside of the athletic budget. I would assume so since it is campus construction (this arena is not solely for basketball programs, plans to host concerts, trade shows, etc. are in the works).

According to 6/30/19 financial statements the athletic department had +$77M of debt on the books for it.
11-05-2020 12:23 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
I agree that I'd prefer the upper deck to go along both sidelines but I guess they wanted some consistency with yalls football stadium?

All jokes aside it looks great! I'd love to see the club room. My only real complaint would be the outside appearance but thats not really that important in the grand scheme of things.
11-05-2020 12:26 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(11-05-2020 12:10 PM)jmu18 Wrote:  [quote='Captain Bearcat' pid='17078466' dateline='1604595944']

Second level goes 3/4 of the way around, here is a seating chart. Actually unsure why they didn't go all the way around. I am assuming space issues on the plot of land.

[Image: MBB_FULL.jpg]

Looks like the final wall is club/suites.

It's nice BTW. Look forward to visiting sometime in the not too distant future.
11-05-2020 12:26 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
Very eye-catching. Congrats to JMU.
11-05-2020 12:48 PM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
Very impressive looking arena. I am curious why they decided to with 8k+ seating with attendanc down across the board in college basketball the past few years. Is it intended as a convocation hall and concert venue?
11-05-2020 12:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(11-05-2020 12:09 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-05-2020 12:05 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Why is the second level only along the baselines? Seems like over half of the seating is up in the rafters along the baseline and have a poor view of the court.

I may be in the minority, but if I am in the upper section of a hoops arena, I like the view from behind the baseline better than from the side. In contrast, if I am lucky to be in the lower bowl, then I like the side view, basically the view you get on TV.

But there's something about the nosebleed sideline view that I do not like, the back/front view from behind the baseline allows me to see the action better.

So I like the JMU setup.

BB:
Upper baseline >>> Lower baseline

FB:
Upper end zone >>> Lower end zone

I've come away with that conclusion everytime I've sat in the end zone/baseline.
11-05-2020 01:09 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad

Get used to it, they'll be AAC-mates in no time!

Just kidding. I had to play into the stereotype, ya know?
11-05-2020 01:17 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(11-05-2020 01:17 PM)esayem Wrote:  

Get used to it, they'll be AAC-mates in no time!

Just kidding. I had to play into the stereotype, ya know?

It does seem like wasted potential in CAA.

That is a fine looking venue.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2020 01:39 PM by The Cutter of Bish.)
11-05-2020 01:38 PM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
(11-05-2020 12:54 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  Very impressive looking arena. I am curious why they decided to with 8k+ seating with attendanc down across the board in college basketball the past few years. Is it intended as a convocation hall and concert venue?

Yes. It will host additional events besides basketball games, like concerts, graduations, etc.
11-05-2020 03:05 PM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
The new arena at JMU looks great.

Although this arena makes me feel really old. I remember being in Weaver Hall looking across Highway 81 when they broke ground to build the JMU Convocation Center. Then going to a CAA match-up of JMU v Navy (with David Robinson) when the facility was recently opened.

IIRC JMU always had high “student activity fees” to fund D1 athletics.
11-05-2020 04:44 PM
Advertisement

jmu18 Offline
2nd String

(11-05-2020 04:44 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  The new arena at JMU looks great.

Although this arena makes me feel really old. I remember being in Weaver Hall looking across Highway 81 when they broke ground to build the JMU Convocation Center. Then going to a CAA match-up of JMU v Navy (with David Robinson) when the facility was recently opened.

Another thing to mention is that even though there are high student fees to fund athletics, JMU remains one of the cheapest Virginia state schools tuition wise. Parents/Students haven't really complained about the fees yet.
11-05-2020 07:16 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma

I agree. It makes me feel old that an arena built in 1982 is obsolete. I remember 1982.
11-05-2020 08:29 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
(11-05-2020 08:29 PM)johnintx Wrote:  

I agree. It makes me feel old that an arena built in 1982 is obsolete. I remember 1982.

They may have wanted a new arena and found the money to buy one, but that in no way makes the old arena obsolete. An arena build in 1982 would still be an upgrade for lots of schools at all levels.
11-05-2020 10:44 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State

Butler used to have this setup too, but in 1933 they switched the court layout from east-west to north-south to correct it. They lost about 4,000 seats in the process, but it was a much-needed change.

Original setup in 1928:
[Image: b9fb571a1da2e83c76df8dc8a71dc52a.jpg]

Setup today:
[Image: butler-vs-isu.jpg]

Thanks for the post about Butler. For those who like old (and new!) arenas as much as I do, take a look at D2 Harding University. They acquired an airplane hanger from France and had it reconstructed on their campus as an athletic facility before they actually had athletics.

After a while, it began to feel old and run down so they built a new one in the 1970's. By the mid 1990's they felt they had outgrown it, so they went back and redid the hanger and made it their new basketball arena again and made the 1970's era arena in to recreation space. Strange but true. Its worth seeing!

https://hardingsports.com/sports/2010/5/...st%20side.
11-05-2020 10:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.