Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

QB Play is Sub Par
Bookmark and Share
Nick in Cleveland Online
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
QB Play is Sub Par
Misses so many open receivers, has no touch, can't make a long pass. Then fumbles the ball on a run near the EZ carrying it like a loaf of bread

We've got to have something better on the bencn

At least give another guy a series or two?
11-04-2020 10:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: QB Play is Sub Par
This is the worst secondary we’ll face all season long.
11-04-2020 10:33 PM
BDV27 Offline
1st String

(11-04-2020 10:22 PM)Nick in Cleveland Wrote:  Misses so many open receivers, has no touch, can't make a long pass. Then fumbles the ball on a run near the EZ carrying it like a loaf of bread

We've got to have something better on the bencn

At least give another guy a series or two?

Going to be tough to win consistently with Peters at QB. Misses
way to many plays
11-04-2020 10:34 PM
Nick in Cleveland Online
1st String

No imagination in the play calling, partially because the QB can't make basic through. Bring in Finn for a series and go wildcat or something.
11-04-2020 10:55 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

One game and the bitching kicks right in......
11-05-2020 12:06 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
20-32 214 yds 4 TDs 159.93 passing efficiency.
Puts him about #19 in FBS for Passing Efficiency.
11-05-2020 12:42 AM
Advertisement

MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-05-2020 12:42 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  20-32 214 yds 4 TDs 159.93 passing efficiency.

I thought he played reasonably well. Finn coming in for relief seems to indicate Bradley is not progressing all that well - or they just wanted to run the ball some to run out the clock and not run up the score. If Bradley was in, he would have been slinging the ball - or handing it off.

I would have had no problem with having your second string guy (unless that is now Finn) out there throwing the ball in game conditions. Peters is still too thin at 6'2' and a very overstated 195 pounds. If he gets hurt, we have to have guys that have thrown the ball around this season in game conditions. Finn did not throw 1 pass - at least not that I remember.
11-05-2020 01:55 AM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-05-2020 12:42 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  20-32 214 yds 4 TDs 159.93 passing efficiency.

I thought he played reasonably well. Finn coming in for relief seems to indicate Bradley is not progressing all that well - or they just wanted to run the ball some to run out the clock and not run up the score. If Bradley was in, he would have been slinging the ball - or handing it off.

I would have had no problem with having your second string guy (unless that is now Finn) out there throwing the ball in game conditions. Peters is still too thin at 6'2' and a very overstated 195 pounds. If he gets hurt, we have to have guys that have thrown the ball around this season in game conditions. Finn did not throw 1 pass - at least not that I remember.
11-05-2020 01:55 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

For such short average per completion, another 10% on the rate wouldn't be a bad goal. But no INTs and six receivers with 2 or more catches. First game against "competition" and the game well in hand, I think it was a good first game plan. I probably wouldn't want it to be the season plan and if the game had been competitive, I think there would have been problems.
11-05-2020 06:40 AM
rocket 51 Offline
1st String

Hoping that we ran only 10 - 15% of the play book (for what ever reason). Looked like the sprint draw is our go-to run play. Disappointed in our offense with the new coaches thought we'd have a much more dynamic, explosive look. This is a young BG defense so we sure as heck better have a lot more to show as time rolls along. Agree that Peters had a good but not great start. Will take the convincing win and hope for that "second game" improvement against the Bronco's.
1-0 Go Rockets.
11-05-2020 08:28 AM
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

Peters made very good decisions on where to put the ball, which I am thinking is probably the reason he gets the nod over the two young guys. He also got the ball off very quickly, especially against the blitz which is gonna be important with this O Line.

He made a few really good throws into tight spaces, but also missed several wide open receivers. The long ball to Mitchell for example - he needed to lead him to the inside and that's a TD. Agree that he doesn't seem to be able to make the touch throws.

So, a mixed bag. Gonna be a much bigger test next week.
11-05-2020 08:47 AM
Advertisement

toledobigmike Offline
1st String

I thought Peters did a sufficient job considering the circumstances. He’s shown growth from last season already in game 1. BG May be really bad, but his reads, decisiveness and mobility all looked improved. There are a fair number of new faces among WR. I’m sure he’ll develop better chemistry with them as the season progresses. I simply don’t understand the incessant complaining on this board.
11-05-2020 09:16 AM
Rocket75 Offline
1st String

Do all the seniors get another year of eligibility, including Peters and Harris?
11-05-2020 09:55 AM
utrocks84 Offline
Special Teams

Not sure ho dynamic the receivers will be this year. Peters is who he is, he won't lead the team in rushing and he will make some bad decisions in the passing as he did last night. Finn is raw and I'm sure Candle will want to bring him along slowly if they can win with Peters. Thought the OL played average last night, nothing amazing. As a whole offense we need to pay attention to the improvement from this game to the next game. RB seems at least 4 deep. Really was impressed with Kelly and Stuart and their quickness and wiggle. After the first Quarter UT's offense became more predictable and BGSU loaded the box. When teams put 8 in the box there has to be a receiver who can stretch the defense and TE's become important targets for RPO's over the middle. Overall Peters played a pretty good game for his first game since last year.
11-05-2020 11:26 AM
Michigan Rocket Offline
Special Teams

BGSU is not a good football team. We showed them nothing. Vanilla offense and defense. I believe all UT QBs are equally talented in their own way. I hope we play them all so we don't lose them to the Transfer Portal. I believe if we limit mistakes, penalties and avoid the big plays, we should be fine, but, what do I know?

GO ROCKETS!!! On to Kalamazoo.
11-05-2020 11:46 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(11-05-2020 12:06 AM)utpotts Wrote:  One game and the bitching kicks right in......

yep, first game of season, I thought he looked pretty good, always room for improvement, and yes test will come with harder defenses in coming games. But I don't see QB at this point as a problem with this team.
11-05-2020 01:09 PM
Advertisement

PaulJ Offline
1st String

(11-05-2020 09:55 AM)Rocket75 Wrote:  Do all the seniors get another year of eligibility, including Peters and Harris?

From NCAA in August:
The NCAA announced big news on Friday, as it approved an exception that will allow fall athletes not to lose a year of eligibility this year regardless of whether their team plays as a way to mitigate the effects of the coronavirus pandemic. Fall sports athletes will receive an extra year or eligibility as well as one more year to complete it in."
11-05-2020 01:12 PM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
It was fun to see Peters run a little. But, it was so funny to see him out there when he broke away on that long one that got stripped. It was like he'd never run that far before and didn't know what to do. At least he didn't slide.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2020 01:15 PM by Toledo Football 1st.)
11-05-2020 01:14 PM
SylRocketFan Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-05-2020 01:09 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  
(11-05-2020 12:06 AM)utpotts Wrote:  One game and the bitching kicks right in......

yep, first game of season, I thought he looked pretty good, always room for improvement, and yes test will come with harder defenses in coming games. But I don't see QB at this point as a problem with this team.

We can could have won 70-0 and we would have found something to complain about 07-coffee3

Peters looks fine. Play solid defense, run the ball, and go to RPO/play action. If we can build around that, we'll be very competitive.
11-05-2020 01:28 PM
PTLROCK Offline
1st String

I saw little of the game, as I was traveling, but heard most of it on the UT live audio feed. The announcers mentioned a couple balls as not accurate, but peters seemed to do a nice job throwing the ball on 3rd down and in key situations that resulted in scores. I was pleased to see/hear of him running to extend drives. He didn’t slide, because he was caught from behind on his run, so just simply stripped not knowing it was coming. Too bad. Bottom line is Toledo has an experienced QB that can get it done and will continue to progress. The o-line seemed better than last year. The tackle from Edinboro seems solid. Too bad about Dumont, but this group over time should be pretty solid.

I was impressed with the defensive speed and tenacity. I think the defense is off to a good start, and looks good. Darius Alexander out of Fort Wayne looked good in the middle. I was a little surprised Toledo did not get a sack. On to Western. Go Rockets!
11-05-2020 01:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.