Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pre-season hoops rankings
Bookmark and Share
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
MyBB Pre-season hoops rankings
Linky

CBS has counted 357 to 201 so far. I see only three MAC schools on the list so far:

205. Miami
214. Central Michigan
273. Western Michigan
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2020 10:00 AM by zibby.)
11-03-2020 12:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: CBS ranking every D-I team
i bet western surprises a bit this year. they added some nice late recruits and might sneak up on some folks.
11-04-2020 01:16 AM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Pre-season hoops rankings
Ken Pomeroy

122. Buffalo
131. Ohio
133. Toledo
142. Akron
152. Eastern Michigan
164. Ball State
165. Bowling Green
175. Miami
178. Kent State
215. Northern Illinois
223. Central Michigan
251. Western Michigan
11-04-2020 10:01 AM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
What has happened to Kent State? They were always so solid?
11-04-2020 08:50 PM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
CBS 200-357

CBS 69-200

CBS:

127. Ohio
141. Akron
151. Buffalo
154. Ball State
164. Bowling Green
168. Eastern Michigan
169. Toledo
171. Kent State
191. Northern Illinois
205. Miami
214. Central Michigan
273. Western Michigan
11-05-2020 09:08 AM
bg816 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Man, I’m biased, but does anybody else think BG is severely underrated? Turner is arguably the best player in the league (I know, there are arguments for a few other dudes), and Plowden is a first team all-conference caliber player. They did lose Mattos to transfer and Frye to graduation, which certainly aren’t negligible losses, but BG’s offense doesn’t really utilize a true center, hence Mattos’ transfer, and Frye just wasn’t as good a shooter as BG fans think he was. There are some terrific young, athletic players who will get a chance play more minutes. Again, I’m biased, but on paper, BG is a very good team.
11-05-2020 03:05 PM
Advertisement

pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-05-2020 03:05 PM)bg816 Wrote:  Man, I’m biased, but does anybody else think BG is severely underrated? Turner is arguably the best player in the league (I know, there are arguments for a few other dudes), and Plowden is a first team all-conference caliber player. They did lose Mattos to transfer and Frye to graduation, which certainly aren’t negligible losses, but BG’s offense doesn’t really utilize a true center, hence Mattos’ transfer, and Frye just wasn’t as good a shooter as BG fans think he was. There are some terrific young, athletic players who will get a chance play more minutes. Again, I’m biased, but on paper, BG is a very good team.

i agree. bg will be better than some of the 163 teams ranked ahead of them. they return both of their stars and have talented young players coming up. will teams be able to exploit them on the inside? some, i imagine. but this should be a bg team that can score and will be aggressive on the perimeter on defense. frye was usually their worst defender on the floor.

kent might end up being good. they bring in a bunch of talent, but depends on their health. they've had a lot of guys out w injuries.

toledo shut down their in person program 2 weeks ago after a corona outbreak hit the players. i haven't heard of practice resuming yet.

emu really depends on if drew louder can run offense better than rob murphy can slop it up. he looks like a great pull at pg, and if he has a big year they'll be pretty good - they'll still have the zone.
11-06-2020 03:55 AM
OUVan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats
(11-05-2020 03:05 PM)bg816 Wrote:  Man, I’m biased, but does anybody else think BG is severely underrated? Turner is arguably the best player in the league (I know, there are arguments for a few other dudes), and Plowden is a first team all-conference caliber player. They did lose Mattos to transfer and Frye to graduation, which certainly aren’t negligible losses, but BG’s offense doesn’t really utilize a true center, hence Mattos’ transfer, and Frye just wasn’t as good a shooter as BG fans think he was. There are some terrific young, athletic players who will get a chance play more minutes. Again, I’m biased, but on paper, BG is a very good team.

Blue Ribbon, which IMO is the best preseason mag, picks BG.

MAC Blue Ribbon Forecast:
1) Bowling Green
2) Akron
3) Ball State
4) Toledo
5) Ohio
6) Kent State
7) Buffalo
8) NIU
9) Miami
10) EMU
11) CMU
12) WMU

All-Conference Team:
Jayvon Graves, SR, Buffalo
Loren Christian Jackson, SR, Akron
Marreon Jackson, SR, Toledo
Jason Preston, JR, Ohio
Justin Turner, GR, Bowling Green

https://getsomemaction.com/documents/201...elease.pdf
11-06-2020 07:15 AM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Jackson for Toledo has been snubbed multiple times from ALL MAC squads. He has legit NBA aspirations and probably the first guard at Toledo to have them in some time. This will be his 3rd year as the team leader with some decent pieces around him. Edu is back for the Rockets which will give them an inside out presence. I expect double digit losses through a good OOC schedule and good MAC in 2020-2021. Toledo hovering between 150 and 100 seems right.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2020 04:16 PM by UofToledoFans.)
11-06-2020 04:15 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(11-06-2020 04:15 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Jackson for Toledo has been snubbed multiple times from ALL MAC squads. He has legit NBA aspirations and probably the first guard at Toledo to have them in some time. This will be his 3rd year as the team leader with some decent pieces around him. Edu is back for the Rockets which will give them an inside out presence. I expect double digit losses through a good OOC schedule and good MAC in 2020-2021. Toledo hovering between 150 and 100 seems right.

Toledo, Bowling Green, Ball State and Kent State are the puzzle teams this season. Toledo has talent, but past injuries and youth can't be ignored. If it all comes together, Top 4.

Bowling Green doesn't have the past injury issues Toledo has, but BG won on the razors edge a lot last season w/veterans who are mostly gone. Until the inside production is solidified, and a proven Robin emerges to Turner's Batman, the Falcons could rise or fall on the outcome.

Ball State has one thing the bulk of the MAC does not have, and that's 6/7 redshirt seniors. Veterans win in the MAC, and that's a lot of them. If they have some chemistry this could be most dangerous team in the league.

Kent State's best player has spent the last three years recovering from off-season knee surgery ... the other four starters are both unknown and unproven mostly juco players. If the juco talent is indeed MAC-level and the chemistry is there, history says they'll be a tough out, ... Top 5/6. If not, this team could slide.
11-06-2020 07:32 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-06-2020 07:32 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(11-06-2020 04:15 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Jackson for Toledo has been snubbed multiple times from ALL MAC squads. He has legit NBA aspirations and probably the first guard at Toledo to have them in some time. This will be his 3rd year as the team leader with some decent pieces around him. Edu is back for the Rockets which will give them an inside out presence. I expect double digit losses through a good OOC schedule and good MAC in 2020-2021. Toledo hovering between 150 and 100 seems right.

Toledo, Bowling Green, Ball State and Kent State are the puzzle teams this season. Toledo has talent, but past injuries and youth can't be ignored. If it all comes together, Top 4.

Bowling Green doesn't have the past injury issues Toledo has, but BG won on the razors edge a lot last season w/veterans who are mostly gone. Until the inside production is solidified, and a proven Robin emerges to Turner's Batman, the Falcons could rise or fall on the outcome.

Ball State has one thing the bulk of the MAC does not have, and that's 6/7 redshirt seniors. Veterans win in the MAC, and that's a lot of them. If they have some chemistry this could be most dangerous team in the league.

Kent State's best player has spent the last three years recovering from off-season knee surgery ... the other four starters are both unknown and unproven mostly juco players. If the juco talent is indeed MAC-level and the chemistry is there, history says they'll be a tough out, ... Top 5/6. If not, this team could slide.

health will be crucial. toledo, for example, has 2 key guys back from injury, but is working to overcome a COVID outbreak now.

Kent has health issues on a talented team full of newer guys, so, it may be a while for them to gel. they could start slow and sneak up on people later in the year.

akron is pretty talented but also not very deep or big inside. a key frontcourt injury could push them into the middle of the pack.

ball st needs to prove it to me. they are usually decent, with some games where they play like conf champs, but seem to find a way to fall back to the pack every year. lots of experience, but are there any MAC top 10 guys on that squad?
11-07-2020 04:30 PM
Advertisement

OUVan Offline
Special Teams

(11-06-2020 07:32 PM)cleveland Wrote:  Ball State has one thing the bulk of the MAC does not have, and that's 6/7 redshirt seniors. Veterans win in the MAC, and that's a lot of them. If they have some chemistry this could be most dangerous team in the league.

That puts Ohio on the opposite end of the spectrum. They don't have a single Senior on the roster except JMU transfer Dwight Wilson who must sit out this year. Ben Vander Plas is a redshirt Junior so he's been there four years but the team is definitely relying on youth.
11-09-2020 07:31 AM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-09-2020 07:31 AM)OUVan Wrote:  
(11-06-2020 07:32 PM)cleveland Wrote:  Ball State has one thing the bulk of the MAC does not have, and that's 6/7 redshirt seniors. Veterans win in the MAC, and that's a lot of them. If they have some chemistry this could be most dangerous team in the league.

That puts Ohio on the opposite end of the spectrum. They don't have a single Senior on the roster except JMU transfer Dwight Wilson who must sit out this year. Ben Vander Plas is a redshirt Junior so he's been there four years but the team is definitely relying on youth.

but not freshmen, ohio is 2nd 3rd 4th yr guys and preston is an elite pg. depends on how much they improve overall. might wilson get a waiver?
11-14-2020 04:59 AM
OUVan Offline
Special Teams

(11-14-2020 04:59 AM)pono Wrote:  but not freshmen, ohio is 2nd 3rd 4th yr guys and preston is an elite pg. depends on how much they improve overall. might wilson get a waiver?

Ohio has 4 freshman on the roster, 3 of whom Boals said might play immediately. My understanding is that Wilson will have to sit out the year. Only one player, Ben Vander Plas is a 4th year guy. And only Preston is a 3rd year guy (Mason McMurry is also a 3rd year guy but he's planted at the end of the bench). They do have a JUCO coming in as a Junior but obviously it's his first year in the program. Lots of question marks concerning the rotation but obviously a lot of optimism in Athens.
11-15-2020 10:26 PM
Siborg Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bowling Green
BG has some unknowns at 1 and 5. I think we have multiple good options at 2, 3 and 4 with good experience at each.

At 1 we have some 2-ish guys who could play it but will they excel? IDK. We also have a few true FR that could help but they are still unknowns. Fr Metheny looks pretty good though as a true PG.

At 5, Swingle has to take big strides. We added a 6-8 Xfer to help out. Matiss Kulakovis(sp?) could be a stretch 5 if his injury does not keep him out. BG just had a Orange vs Brown scrimmage and Swingle led all scorers with 18. Hopefully that's a good sign.
11-16-2020 02:41 PM
OUVan Offline
Special Teams

(11-15-2020 10:26 PM)OUVan Wrote:  My understanding is that Wilson will have to sit out the year.

Well, well, well, a MAC player actually gets a positive ruling from the NCAA. Dwight Wilson had his waiver granted and is eligible to play this season. That will be a huge help to Ohio's front court.
11-23-2020 07:54 AM
Advertisement

OUVan Offline
Special Teams

(11-23-2020 07:54 AM)OUVan Wrote:  
(11-15-2020 10:26 PM)OUVan Wrote:  My understanding is that Wilson will have to sit out the year.

Well, well, well, a MAC player actually gets a positive ruling from the NCAA. Dwight Wilson had his waiver granted and is eligible to play this season. That will be a huge help to Ohio's front court.

https://twitter.com/ohiombasketball/stat...75363?s=21

Fun to watch how they broke the news to him.
11-23-2020 08:15 AM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
WMU could surprise many on the upside. Of course starting at the bottom you only have one way to go.

I don't see a juggernaut in the league. Not that WMU will contend but they could beat a couple teams that will and that L will be a factor.

The loss of Brandon Johnson and Michael Flowers will be felt. Both had limitations. Johnson's loss more felt. Consuming possessions will be Titus Wright in the post who'd have seen the ball more often even with Johnson at WMU. Flowers was ineffective without the ball. Four guards will replace Flowers shots, make others around them better and defend regularly. An influx of newly recruited improved athleticism and skill will leap frog most all who backed up last year.

Not a big move but assuming a full schedule and no Covid interruptions I can see sweeping CMU, EMU and NIU. A split with UT and BSU along with sweeping MU. Yes, all others are better but WMU did take one from KSU and OU last year if not mistaken.
11-23-2020 08:58 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-23-2020 08:58 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  WMU could surprise many on the upside. Of course starting at the bottom you only have one way to go.

I don't see a juggernaut in the league. Not that WMU will contend but they could beat a couple teams that will and that L will be a factor.

The loss of Brandon Johnson and Michael Flowers will be felt. Both had limitations. Johnson's loss more felt. Consuming possessions will be Titus Wright in the post who'd have seen the ball more often even with Johnson at WMU. Flowers was ineffective without the ball. Four guards will replace Flowers shots, make others around them better and defend regularly. An influx of newly recruited improved athleticism and skill will leap frog most all who backed up last year.

Not a big move but assuming a full schedule and no Covid interruptions I can see sweeping CMU, EMU and NIU. A split with UT and BSU along with sweeping MU. Yes, all others are better but WMU did take one from KSU and OU last year if not mistaken.

WMU is an interesting case and I can see why broncos fans (there are a few) might see a sleeper on the horizon. the staff did a great recruiting job in the spring to fill out the roster with capable guys and there a few young or backup guys who under-performed, were hurt, or too young and might make a jump this season. then again, your call for sweeps of all the other non-contenders is wishful. NIU also did a great job in late recruiting and is bigger and stronger than WMU and has a good defensive coach. i'd be surprised if WMU outscores them twice. EMU is always a bit of an uncertainty, but this is a very old team that actually seems to have some chemistry potential and a lack of the ballhogs or problem children that often make EMU inconsistent. CMU's Davis thinks he reloaded too. on paper i don't really see it, but everyone's an optimist this time fo year.
11-25-2020 01:18 AM
EMUAARON Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hurons
(11-25-2020 01:18 AM)pono Wrote:  EMU is always a bit of an uncertainty, but this is a very old team that actually seems to have some chemistry potential and a lack of the ballhogs or problem children that often make EMU inconsistent.

fingers crossed on this one. i would be happy with .500 and no knuckleheads this year.

just tuned into our first game and apparently we only have eight players suited up. one guy has a back issue. they didn't say why the other five guys aren't suited up. this could get ugly.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2020 05:54 PM by EMUAARON.)
11-25-2020 05:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.