Legend

I Root For: Houston
Official AAC basketball Preseason poll & All-Conference teams
[Image: ElbLr7DXEAM-nOg?format=jpg&name=small]

[Image: ElbLsf_XEAA8bib?format=jpg&name=small]

[Image: ElbLqZDWoAAotk1?format=jpg&name=small]

[Image: ElbL-enXgAAsTd8?format=jpg&name=small]

[Image: ElbMU7IWMAAu5qw?format=jpg&name=small]
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2020 10:42 AM by pesik.)
10-28-2020 10:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ECUGrad07 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
RE: Official AAC basketball Preseason poll & All-Conference teams
Crazy to think that ECU was right in the thick of it with Rachal & Jolly till the very end... *sigh*...
10-28-2020 10:26 AM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
Surprised to see Rachal that high. Yetna, Vogt, Nolly, and even Grimes might have been slighted.
10-28-2020 10:30 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(10-28-2020 10:30 AM)invisiblehand Wrote:  Surprised to see Rachal that high. Yetna, Vogt, Nolly, and even Grimes might have been slighted.

rachal was all conference last year, one of the few returning, him being 1st team inst surprising..
and ive said this before, rachal is a legitmate 3point shot way from being the best guard in the conference....

yetna is the big snub, but im guessing its just based on not playing.. they ranked usf 5th, you dont do that if you think yetna isnt all conference
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2020 10:52 AM by pesik.)
10-28-2020 10:41 AM
JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(10-28-2020 10:41 AM)pesik Wrote:  
(10-28-2020 10:30 AM)invisiblehand Wrote:  Surprised to see Rachal that high. Yetna, Vogt, Nolly, and even Grimes might have been slighted.

rachal was all conference last year, one of the few returning, him being 1st team inst surprising..
and ive said this before, rachal is a legitmate 3point shot way from being the best guard in the conference....

yetna is the big snub, but im huessi ts just based on not playing.. they ranked usf 5th, you dont do that if you think yetna isnt all conference

He's also coming off of an ACL tear. Not surprised at all he didn't make first team.
10-28-2020 10:47 AM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

(10-28-2020 10:41 AM)pesik Wrote:  

yetna is the big snub, but im guessing its just based on not playing.. they ranked usf 5th, you dont do that if you think yetna isnt all conference

I know Rachal is talented and deserving of accolade I just wanted to throw some props to the guys who barely missed the cut.
10-28-2020 10:58 AM
Advertisement

invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

Fun fact for everyone... Tulsa has been under picked in the preaseason every year since 2015.
10-28-2020 11:41 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
I'll take UC to finish higher than 4th.
10-28-2020 12:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

Didn't know Chris Vogt played the 2nd half of the conference schedule with a torn labrum: 13 ppg first half, 7 ppg 2nd half.
10-28-2020 02:07 PM
Crowley's Ridge Tiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
You could mix 2 thru 7 in any order and I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they finish.

IMO the AAC top to bottom is as strong as maybe ever. That's doesn't necessarily mean it will translate into more bids. This conference will be tough.
10-28-2020 08:27 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
I think Houston could be top 5 to 10 good this year. After that I think UC's as good as anyone.
10-29-2020 08:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Don't see how UH's Grimes is not in the mix. He can take over a game when he's on. Maybe it's inconsistency? Or maybe it's that UH has so much high level talent he can get lost at times.
10-29-2020 08:59 AM
ECUGrad07 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Player of the Year

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs3media.247sports.com%2...amp;nofb=1]
10-29-2020 09:39 AM
JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

(10-29-2020 08:47 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  I think Houston could be top 5 to 10 good this year. After that I think UC's as good as anyone.

I think Houston definitely has the best roster/coach combo so they are easily the favorites but they lost a lot of what made them so good last year. Sampson is so good though that I'm sure they'll be able to adjust on the fly but a couple things I'm watching.

#7 in the country in block rate last year (had #24 2-pt point defense)- lose Chris Harris (2nd leading shot blocker in conference) but return Brison Gresham who needs to stop fouling so much

#2 in offensive rebounding percentage - lose Hinton, Harris and White who were easily their top 3 rebounders amongst contributors (Gresham was also good in limited action but maybe led to some of his foul trouble??)

#8 in 3 point defense - this is typically random from year to year, so you may expect this to jump up next from 28.6% to closer to the D1 average of 33.3%. Controlling the three ball is about limiting attempts - Houston was #238 (2% higher than the D1 avg) in the country in this metric. Probably a function of packing the paint to be so elite at 2-pt defense but certainly something to watch.

I'm sure you'll see big jumps from Mills, Sasser, Grimes (maybe more consistent), etc. but it will be a different stye of winning vs last year's version.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2020 10:33 AM by JFlight21.)
10-29-2020 10:32 AM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
(10-28-2020 08:27 PM)Crowleys Ridge Tiger Wrote:  You could mix 2 thru 7 in any order and I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they finish.

IMO the AAC top to bottom is as strong as maybe ever. That's doesn't necessarily mean it will translate into more bids. This conference will be tough.

Bid are going to be tough to come by outside of the P5+BE this year. Non-conf schedules will be slim to non-existent, so there will be a bigger push for undeserving power conference teams with 1 or 2 big conference wins to get a bid even with a bad overall record.

I'm already waiting for the arguments.

"Well, in a normal year they would have had 5-6 more easy wins in the non-con .. so they aren't ACTUALLY under .500 if you grant them those 5 extra wins"
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2020 10:35 AM by Stickboy46.)
10-29-2020 10:33 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(10-29-2020 10:32 AM)JFlight21 Wrote:  
(10-29-2020 08:47 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  I think Houston could be top 5 to 10 good this year. After that I think UC's as good as anyone.

they lost a lot of what made them so good last year.
#7 in the country in block rate last year (had #24 2-pt point defense)
#2 in offensive rebounding percentage
#8 in 3 point defense

I'm sure you'll see big jumps from Mills, Sasser, Grimes (maybe more consistent), etc. but it will be a different stye of winning vs last year's version.
every year people say something of this nature, every year we still always end up top 15 in the kenpom. what's most interesting to me is this year is the year we've lost the least (compared to how much we regularly lose)

we are
--still going to be elite at rebound (as long as sampson is coach),
--still going to be elite at block rate (every big we have, new and old, are touted shot blocker, sans gorham)
--still going to have elite perimeter defense (dejon, sasser and grimes are elite perimeter defenders, i believe they are top 97%, 93%, and 86% in their synergy ratings for defense..shead is a 4star exclusively for defense, mark is an athletic 6'5)

- note: because of crazy foul trouble both harris and hinton didnt play much in one of our games vs uconn- we still outrebounded them by 10, had 5blocks, uconn finished with 35% fg% and 25% 3pt%

the weakness exposed by the losses is the lack of post scorer, gorham is a shooter.. non of the other bigs are known for offense..fabians post presence is gone

but you are right we are going to be a different style but by choice. People dont account when you lose players you dont just lose their strengths you lose their weakness aswell. Fabian had no ball skills and hinton was limited for a guard. the players replacing both have drastically better handles..sampson has noted this current team is too good in transition to be sending 5 to rebound like last year. we are going to push for transition points unlike last year, which he noted might weaken the rebounding numbers a bit. likely wont be #1 again, but probably still top 10
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2020 11:30 AM by pesik.)
10-29-2020 11:29 AM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(10-29-2020 10:33 AM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  
(10-28-2020 08:27 PM)Crowleys Ridge Tiger Wrote:  You could mix 2 thru 7 in any order and I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they finish.

Bid are going to be tough to come by outside of the P5+BE this year. Non-conf schedules will be slim to non-existent, so there will be a bigger push for undeserving power conference teams with 1 or 2 big conference wins to get a bid even with a bad overall record.

"Well, in a normal year they would have had 5-6 more easy wins in the non-con .. so they aren't ACTUALLY under .500 if you grant them those 5 extra wins"

but the conference has done a great job in nonconference scheduling..
i think there is a line being drawn, but the line is being drawn below us not above us

i actually think the limited schedule benefits us.. most of the conference is keeping the top games and cutting out the body bag games.. instead of 4 good games and 9 bad games (our regular subpar schedules), this year its 4 good games and 3 bad games ..and on the computer averages that looks amazing. itll come down to how many games we win ..we might be part of the conferences getting undeserving teams in if we win those games

ucf beats Oklahoma, Michigan, Florida State +2 body bag (at this moment likely only playing 5 ooc, havent found a mte) 5-0.. then .500 in conference. they still have to be on the bubble...

its the a10, mwc, mvc who have lost most of their ooc games, likely only get 1 good ooc per. that will feel this the most
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2020 11:49 AM by pesik.)
10-29-2020 11:47 AM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
(10-29-2020 11:47 AM)pesik Wrote:  

i think there is a line being drawn, but the line is being drawn below us not above us

i actually think the limited schedule benefits us.. most of the conference is keeping the top games and cutting out the body bag games.. instead of 4 good games and 9 bad games (our regular subpar schedules), this year its 4 good games and 3 bad games ..and on the computer averages that looks amazing. itll come down to how many games we win ..we might be part of the conferences getting undeserving teams in if we win those games

ucf beats Oklahoma, Michigan, Florida State +2 body bag (at this moment likely only playing 5 ooc, havent found a mte) 5-0.. then .500 in conference. they still have to be on the bubble...

its the a10, mwc, mvc who have lost most of their ooc games, likely only get 1 good ooc per. that will feel this the most
I still think there is a greater than average chance that a good chunk of those games don't happen. That's my point. There is STILL talk that some conferences are thinking conf-only this year because they can't agree on testing protocols with teams from other conferences. MTEs are getting cancelled a month before they are supposed to happen.
10-29-2020 12:04 PM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!

Sad but true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-30-2020 08:15 AM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(10-29-2020 12:04 PM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  
(10-29-2020 11:47 AM)pesik Wrote:  

I still think there is a greater than average chance that a good chunk of those games don't happen. That's my point. There is STILL talk that some conferences are thinking conf-only this year because they can't agree on testing protocols with teams from other conferences. MTEs are getting cancelled a month before they are supposed to happen.

What’s happening now is that cities are trying to get 4 team out of conference pods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-30-2020 08:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.