Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Another C-USA Realignment Thread With a Twist
Bookmark and Share
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
Another C-USA Realignment Thread With a Twist
The mythical East Coast regional league has been talked about ad nauseam. People have correctly pointed out the roadblocks for this happening (getting NCAA auto-bids and a spot in the NY6 Access Bowl). You don't want to join a new league and have no access to championships or major bowls. And getting C-USA and the Sun Belt to split down geographic lines also seems unlikely.

But what if we were able to create regional leagues within the framework of C-USA? What if we added 2 schools to the East (say Liberty & JMU) and 2 to the West (say NMSU & ?)

You create an 18 team C-USA that operates as two separate leagues within their divisions. In football, you play 8 divisional games and no one from the other side until the title game. In Hoops, the top 7 schools from the East and top 7 from the West play in the Conference Tournament.

This idea would get you the "new conference" without actually making a new conference. The West would just be our cousins we only see at family reunions (post season games). Other than that, we operate independently within the divisions in the regular season.

Obviously, the savings from becoming more regional would have to outweigh cutting the revenue pie another 4 ways. Otherwise, it wouldn't happen.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2020 09:45 AM by MUsince96.)
10-28-2020 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
RE: Another C-USA Realignment Thread With a Twist
(10-28-2020 09:42 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  The mythical East Coast regional league has been talked about ad nauseam. People have correctly pointed out the roadblocks for this happening (getting NCAA auto-bids and a spot in the NY6 Access Bowl). You don't want to join a new league and have no access to championships or major bowls. And getting C-USA and the Sun Belt to split down geographic lines also seems unlikely.

But what if we were able to create regional leagues within the framework of C-USA? What if we added 2 schools to the East (say Liberty & JMU) and 2 to the West (say NMSU & ?)

You create an 18 team C-USA that operates as two separate leagues within their divisions. In football, you play 8 divisional games and no one from the other side until the title game. In Hoops, the top 7 schools from the East and top 7 from the West play in the Conference Tournament.

This idea would get you the "new conference" without actually making a new conference. The West would just be our cousins we only see at family reunions (post season games). Other than that, we operate independently within the divisions in the regular season.

Obviously, the savings from becoming more regional would have to outweigh cutting the revenue pie another 4 ways. Otherwise, it wouldn't happen.

There was a Houston fan that suggested something like this quite a while ago and it has some merit. I think doing this with just 2 total adds could accomplish your goals.

1. Move UAB to the east and NMSU and Texas State to the west for 16 total. Play conference schedules strictly within your division. In fb that would be 7 conference games. The 5 OOC games gives teams opportunities to schedule more prominent programs to enhance the NY6 chances when a team like Marshall is having a great year.

OR

2. Add NMSU to the west and Liberty to the east.

Also if schools still want to keep rivals with other division schools, schedule them as OOC.
10-28-2020 10:13 AM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(10-28-2020 09:42 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  Obviously, the savings from becoming more regional would have to outweigh cutting the revenue pie another 4 ways. Otherwise, it wouldn't happen.

You've answered your question here.

The way some of you guys are scared of flying, you'd think this was the B. A. Baracus Conference.

You could save the same amount of money (without further dividing the already small pie) by just making your previously farthest two or three OOC games closer.
10-28-2020 10:23 AM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(10-28-2020 10:13 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  Also if schools still want to keep rivals with other division schools, schedule them as OOC.

Or. . . if you want to play 2-3 "more local" schools every year, schedule them as OOC.

I think it's great for UTEP to play NMSU and UTSA to play Texas State. And for Marshall or ODU to play whoever it is they're so worked up to play (App State or the Georgia SB schools or ECU I guess).

So - go play them. Seems like you're already playing them in lots of sports already most years. What's stopping you? You can have really great rivals with teams that aren't in your conference.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2020 10:27 AM by inutech.)
10-28-2020 10:26 AM
Flat Tire 2 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I once read a post that stated a kitten dies every time a realignment thread or post is started. 05-nono
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2020 10:49 AM by Flat Tire 2.)
10-28-2020 10:48 AM
SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
This is a good proposal. But it would require both the CUSA and the Sunbelt to disband and to create a new conference. The commissioner from CUSA could be over one, and the commissioner from the Sunbelt over the other. Now the Sunbelt has 10 teams and CUSA has 14 teams. Thats 24 teams. Someone would have to be left out to create an 18 team conference. Then where would the remaining 6 go?
10-28-2020 10:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MUsince96 Offline
All American

(10-28-2020 10:48 AM)Flat Tire 2 Wrote:  I once read a post that stated a kitten dies every time a realignment thread or post is started. 05-nono

I read a dog dies every time someone can't stay on topic. I guess college sports message boards are no place for pets.
10-28-2020 10:55 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

(10-28-2020 10:54 AM)SMUstang Wrote:  This is a good proposal. But it would require both the CUSA and the Sunbelt to disband and to create a new conference. The commissioner from CUSA could be over one, and the commissioner from the Sunbelt over the other. Now the Sunbelt has 10 teams and CUSA has 14 teams. Thats 24 teams. Someone would have to be left out to create an 18 team conference. Then where would the remaining 6 go?

That isn't this at all. Please re-read. It only involves C-USA.
10-28-2020 10:56 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
18 teams splitting a pie that may at best be marginally larger than CUSA's current pie, the Sun Belt may end up with an easier path to bowls, and oh yeah, it'll still be a one-bid league.

On paper I like the conferences-as-de-facto-leagues idea, but in today's environment I just don't see who it benefits.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2020 11:00 AM by Cyniclone.)
10-28-2020 10:59 AM
SMUstang Offline
Banned

(10-28-2020 10:56 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  
(10-28-2020 10:54 AM)SMUstang Wrote:  This is a good proposal. But it would require both the CUSA and the Sunbelt to disband and to create a new conference. The commissioner from CUSA could be over one, and the commissioner from the Sunbelt over the other. Now the Sunbelt has 10 teams and CUSA has 14 teams. Thats 24 teams. Someone would have to be left out to create an 18 team conference. Then where would the remaining 6 go?

Sorry, I saw Texas State mentioned in one proposal and they are Sunbelt. One proposal created a 16 team conference without adding anyone from the Sunbelt. That one might work, depending on the revenue.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2020 11:24 AM by SMUstang.)
10-28-2020 11:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(10-28-2020 11:03 AM)SMUstang Wrote:  
(10-28-2020 10:56 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  

Sorry, I saw Texas State mentioned in one proposal and they are Sunbelt.

Yeah, I mentioned them with the thought they might favor the idea of having other Texas schools in their conference. Probably the only SBC school that would see a move to CUSA as a positive step.
10-28-2020 11:06 AM
Advertisement

rileylives Offline
Heisman

Oh, absolutely no.

This needed its own new thread?
10-28-2020 11:09 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

(10-28-2020 11:09 AM)rileylives Wrote:  Oh, absolutely no.

This needed its own new thread?

As much as your reply was needed I guess. But here we both are.
10-28-2020 11:15 AM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

Okay, tell me why diluting the pool is a good idea?

The only four schools that would make sense would be App State, one of the Georgia schools, Arkansas State and Louisiana.

And not a single one of them is going to leave the Sun Belt to join this horribly managed conference.

The only thing that makes sense is the creation of a new league, which as you say has been talked about ad nauseam. So I asked, why did we need to start an all new thread?
10-28-2020 11:20 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

(10-28-2020 11:20 AM)rileylives Wrote:  Okay, tell me why diluting the pool is a good idea?

The only four schools that would make sense would be App State, one of the Georgia schools, Arkansas State and Louisiana.

And not a single one of them is going to leave the Sun Belt to join this horribly managed conference.

The only thing that makes sense is the creation of a new league, which as you say has been talked about ad nauseam. So I asked, why did we need to start an all new thread?

To your first question. Read the last 2 sentences. If it diluted the pool (I assume you mean less money) it wouldn't happen.

To your last question. This isn't another thread about starting a brand new league. It's a way of a accomplishing the goals of that without the roadblocks of no NCAA auto bids or NY6 access. I prefaced there was a twist.
10-28-2020 11:30 AM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

The problem is, we are just adding more fluff in that scenario.
10-28-2020 11:35 AM
Advertisement

SMUstang Offline
Banned

The solution may be to cut the last two teams added. Western Kentucky and ODU.
10-28-2020 11:36 AM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

If you've been paying attention, Western Kentucky is a keeper.

FIU is definitely a dead weight, and I think UTEP would benefit from leaving if they are able to get into the Mountain West.

ODU brings good basketball on occasion. Their football is definitely down though this year, they've yet to pick up a win...
10-28-2020 11:41 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

(10-28-2020 11:35 AM)rileylives Wrote:  The problem is, we are just adding more fluff in that scenario.

That depends on what the goal is. If it's to be closer to the AAC or MWC. Yeah, probably more "fluff."

If it's to find a work around to a new league for the schools who are no longer interested in such a far flung league but can't accomplish a truly new league. This gets you there. You only see the other division in the post season.

It's important to establish goals before saying why something will or won't work. When I started off with talk of the East Coast league I thought it was clear I was talking geography and rivalries built from that. Sorry if it wasn't.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2020 11:47 AM by MUsince96.)
10-28-2020 11:45 AM
Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
(10-28-2020 11:20 AM)rileylives Wrote:  Okay, tell me why diluting the pool is a good idea?

Yep. UNM only helps UTEP. For everyone else in the West it adds another game that's further than most of the East teams.
10-28-2020 11:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.