Total Amount of People That Work in Oil and Gas
10-23-2020 11:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Total Amount of People That Work in Oil and Gas
(10-23-2020 11:36 PM)BEARCATDALE Wrote:  9.8 million jobs or 5.6 percent of total U.S. employment

It’s OK, because OMB.

I am sure all are thrilled with the prospect of their new computer programming opportunities in the land of Eurasia.
10-24-2020 12:15 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
I doubt this number includes peripheral industries that depend on the petroleum industry like plastics manufacturing, trucking and even retail.
10-24-2020 08:31 AM
WalkThePlank Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(10-24-2020 08:31 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I doubt this number includes peripheral industries that depend on the petroleum industry like plastics manufacturing, trucking and even retail.

This.

Costs will go up in virtually every industry due to the costs increasing in energy. Everyone will feel the effects through pricing and higher COGS.
10-24-2020 08:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(10-24-2020 08:31 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I doubt this number includes peripheral industries that depend on the petroleum industry like plastics manufacturing, trucking and even retail.

The manufacturers will all simply go somewhere else, leaving us even more dependent on foreign economies. Retail and distribution will stay here, because they have to. But you don't build an economy by delivering pizzas to each other.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2020 08:41 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
10-24-2020 08:41 AM
SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
Virtually everything we use is dependent on petroleum. It would not be possible or logical to eliminate the oil and gas industry. Regulate the pollution , yes.
10-24-2020 08:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
(10-23-2020 11:36 PM)BEARCATDALE Wrote:  9.8 million jobs or 5.6 percent of total U.S. employment

It’s OK, because OMB.

There will be twice as many jobs maintaining wind farms and solar panels!!!
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2020 08:47 AM by No Bull.)
10-24-2020 08:44 AM
mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
When a bartender is creating and driving your energy and ecology policy, this is what you get.
10-24-2020 08:46 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(10-24-2020 08:46 AM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  When a bartender is creating and driving your energy and ecology policy, this is what you get.

Good point....
Driving everyone to drinking for sure. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2020 09:23 AM by CardinalJim.)
10-24-2020 09:23 AM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
How many miles per gallon does a wind powered car, riding on hemp tires, with a solid wood interior, achieve?
10-24-2020 09:29 AM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Looking forward to Al Gore’s solar powered private jet.
10-24-2020 09:39 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(10-24-2020 09:39 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Looking forward to Al Gore’s solar powered private jet.

You don’t hear much from old Al anymore. Not since the polar ice cap didn’t melt per his schedule. I’m just glad he invented the Internet so we can laugh and point at his ridiculous claims.
10-24-2020 10:00 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

It’s OK, because OMB.

There was an oil recession in Texas in 1982-83. Prices were projected to go to $100/bbl and started to drop. Thousands of oil & gas workers lost their jobs. Some white collar jobs disappeared, but it was mostly blue collar.

There was a townhouse I bought in 83 for 66k. It had been 80k in 82. It was 40k in 84. But then in 1986 when it looked like things would recover and oil was $40/bbl, it dropped to $10/bbl overnight. An identical townhouse sold for 12k. Over 80% of the units were either foreclosed or the owners walked.

Its estimated 1 in 4 people in Houston lost their jobs at some point in 1986 as it was no longer primarily blue collar workers losing their jobs. Unemployment peaked at 13%. Of the 10 largest banks in Texas, only #10 Frost survived. The others (Texas Commerce to Chase) sold out before the collapse or were acquired with the help of the FDIC. Every major S&L failed. Thousands of people lost all equity in their homes. Neighborhoods collapsed. My neighborhood went from a nice middle class area to one of the most dangerous places in Houston. It had a lot of apartments and townhouses and those just never recovered.

And that was with a drop in prices, not a complete elimination of the industry. Biden shouldn't get any more votes in Texas than the 26% Hillary got in West Virginia after Hillary promised to throw a bunch of coal miners out of work.

Fossil fuels are an essential part of the Texas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Alaska and Oklahoma economies. They are also huge in Wyoming, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Kentucky. They're pretty substantial in California and New Jersey (refining). Biden's plan is to wipe out the economies of 20% of the states. That would make 2008 look like a picnic as it would spread nationally, just as the 1986 Texas recession was much worse than 2008.
10-24-2020 10:47 AM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(10-24-2020 10:47 AM)bullet Wrote:  

It’s OK, because OMB.

There was an oil recession in Texas in 1982-83. Prices were projected to go to $100/bbl and started to drop. Thousands of oil & gas workers lost their jobs. Some white collar jobs disappeared, but it was mostly blue collar.

There was a townhouse I bought in 83 for 66k. It had been 80k in 82. It was 40k in 84. But then in 1986 when it looked like things would recover and oil was $40/bbl, it dropped to $10/bbl overnight. An identical townhouse sold for 12k. Over 80% of the units were either foreclosed or the owners walked.

Its estimated 1 in 4 people in Houston lost their jobs at some point in 1986 as it was no longer primarily blue collar workers losing their jobs. Unemployment peaked at 13%. Of the 10 largest banks in Texas, only #10 Frost survived. The others (Texas Commerce to Chase) sold out before the collapse or were acquired with the help of the FDIC. Every major S&L failed. Thousands of people lost all equity in their homes. Neighborhoods collapsed. My neighborhood went from a nice middle class area to one of the most dangerous places in Houston. It had a lot of apartments and townhouses and those just never recovered.

And that was with a drop in prices, not a complete elimination of the industry. Biden shouldn't get any more votes in Texas than the 26% Hillary got in West Virginia after Hillary promised to throw a bunch of coal miners out of work.

Fossil fuels are an essential part of the Texas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Alaska and Oklahoma economies. They are also huge in Wyoming, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Kentucky. They're pretty substantial in California and New Jersey (refining). Biden's plan is to wipe out the economies of 20% of the states. That would make 2008 look like a picnic as it would spread nationally, just as the 1986 Texas recession was much worse than 2008.

Biden’s actions would have such a huge ripple effect, on everyone...not just those in the industry...get rid of subsidies and run oil and gas companies out of Dodge, prices for literally everything will skyrocket in year #1. Instant hyper inflation.
10-24-2020 10:53 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Yea it was a bad slip up. Its up there with Ford's Russian comments in 76

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
10-24-2020 11:21 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Just dumb.

Good luck with the pine needle interstates and thatched roofs on buildings.

These nutcases have NO idea how many products oil and petroleum products end up in.

Gonna get real cold up there in Saint Cloud, guess it’s time to start killing the whales and seals again.

Dummies
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2020 12:58 PM by JMUDunk.)
10-24-2020 12:30 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Add those jobs in with the jobs from Anthem, BCBS, Humana, and UHC that will be lost
10-24-2020 12:46 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

Well, you can add in Subway or McDs jobs, Budweiser, plenty of coffee and ten thousand other people, industries, products “fossil fuels” directly or indirectly support.

Sheer idiocy or willful ignorance. Not sure which is worse.
10-24-2020 01:02 PM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
At one point, people thought it crazy to move from kerosene to electricity. The world is changing and we’ll either lead or cling to our oil lamps and wait for the Chinese or Germans to do so.
10-24-2020 01:13 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

Ok, genius- move to what?

What currently works well enough and stable enough to fuel this massive economy, Country and its people?

Califa has tried on a pretty enormous scale and they can’t keep the lights on when it’s 104 deg outside. Can’t even run a fan, much less the A/C.

So, what did people do? Fired up their gas powered generators. Lol

Risking further fires and pumping all that glorious exhaust into the air.

Why you ask? Because all the windmills and mirrors in the world couldn’t keep up with the US power demands,

So, what are the Chinese or Germans going to trot out to put us in our place?

This should be good 04-coffee
10-24-2020 01:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.