Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Save NIU Community Businesses DeKalb
Bookmark and Share
HUSKiESbelieve Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU Huskies
It's no secret college towns are taking a big hit economically.

If you could save any eateries or businesses that brought you joy at NIU, which ones will you try to save?

I am going to go to the Dekalb area next week and hit up and bring home some Ollie's Frozen custard, Inbodens, Fatty's and Get some Pies and Apples from Jonamac Orchard! 03-cloud9 I don't want to come back to a NIU homecoming game when things go back to normal and find these places closed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZShVhclRbQ
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2020 03:20 PM by HUSKiESbelieve.)
10-19-2020 03:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
RE: Save NIU Community Businesses DeKalb
(10-19-2020 03:18 PM)HUSKiESbelieve Wrote:  It's no secret college towns are taking a big hit economically.

If you could save any eateries or businesses that brought you joy at NIU, which ones will you try to save?

I am going to go to the Dekalb area next week and hit up and bring home some Ollie's Frozen custard, Inbodens, Fatty's and Get some Pies and Apples from Jonamac Orchard! 03-cloud9 I don't want to come back to a NIU homecoming game when things go back to normal and find these places closed.

We will be going to DeKalb soon where we hope to support some businesses and restaurants. Our favorites eateries are Pizza Villa, Junction, Hillside, P.J.'s Tavern......among several others.
10-19-2020 03:23 PM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-19-2020 03:18 PM)HUSKiESbelieve Wrote:  It's no secret college towns are taking a big hit economically.

Just remember that there is no inside dining in Dekalb County and further west right now.
10-19-2020 03:27 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
(10-19-2020 03:27 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  

Just remember that there is no inside dining in Dekalb County and further west right now.
Can't eat inside? Just take gun to those businesses ,they are going to die anyway why put them thru the misery. Gosh, IL has just gone to hell...Just takers running the show....
10-19-2020 04:05 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(10-19-2020 04:05 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  

Can't eat inside? Just take gun to those businesses ,they are going to die anyway why put them thru the misery. Gosh, IL has just gone to hell...Just takers running the show....

It seems like the restaurants are being hit hardest. Even when you can eat inside, it’s only 50% capacity. They can’t go on like this. We’ve had some restaurants close for good in my area.
10-19-2020 04:24 PM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-19-2020 04:24 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

It seems like the restaurants are being hit hardest. Even when you can eat inside, it’s only 50% capacity. They can’t go on like this. We’ve had some restaurants close for good in my area.

Kane and DuPage are going to shortly follow.

Remember, when this all started, it was to bend down the curve. Now, Governor Big Boy has moved the goal posts to no one getting sick apparently.
10-19-2020 04:43 PM
Advertisement

Teamduh Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Northern Il
(10-19-2020 04:43 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  
(10-19-2020 04:24 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

Kane and DuPage are going to shortly follow.

Remember, when this all started, it was to bend down the curve. Now, Governor Big Boy has moved the goal posts to no one getting sick apparently.
You must have missed the news lately, Covid is exploding. Illinois lower than surrounding states but some states as high as 20% positivity rate.

Yes we need to support the businesses especially our favorites. Consider carry out as a good alternative.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
10-19-2020 05:33 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
Exploding? It's a virus. People under 25 more likely to die of drowning. Median age of death 76+. It stacks the old with weaken immune systems. We know so much more about disease today than 6 months ago.
10-19-2020 06:32 PM
HUSKiESbelieve Offline
Special Teams

(10-19-2020 03:23 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

We will be going to DeKalb soon where we hope to support some businesses and restaurants. Our favorites eateries are Pizza Villa, Junction, Hillside, P.J.'s Tavern......among several others.

Oh yeah, can't forget about Pizza Villa and Junction. Met my wife at Pizza Villa!
10-19-2020 06:36 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
All I can say, gents, is that I’m glad the Paperback Grotto is closed. With the pandemic rapidly spreading, the venerable Grotto would be a cesspool of contagions - much more so than it normally was. With exposure to body fluids teaming with COVID viruses (as well as many other pathogens), the poor Grotto would be blamed for being a ground zero for the spread of COVID. The Grotto would get nasty publicity on national TV, and people from all over the country would blame it for spreading the pandemic. Of course, that would not stop me from patronizing the Grotto, but I can certainly understand that the skittish customers would not come. I guess it’s just good to live with the wonderful memories of the Grotto during a much better time - a time when you could be exposed to body fluids and just brush it off.
10-19-2020 06:40 PM
jjprender Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
(10-19-2020 06:32 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  Exploding? It's a virus. People under 25 more likely to die of drowning. Median age of death 76+. It stacks the old with weaken immune systems. We know so much more about disease today than 6 months ago.

100... If we tested for the flu or cold every year and plastered the numbers all over TV... we need to get on with it. If you’re not willing to take the risk , you don’t have to. Stay home
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2020 07:14 PM by jjprender.)
10-19-2020 07:13 PM
Advertisement

Teamduh Offline
1st String

(10-19-2020 06:36 PM)HUSKiESbelieve Wrote:  
(10-19-2020 03:23 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

Oh yeah, can't forget about Pizza Villa and Junction. Met my wife at Pizza Villa!
Just hit pizza villa for beer nuggets this past week. Carry out only.

10-19-2020 09:15 PM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
You must have missed the news lately, Covid is exploding. Illinois lower than surrounding states but some states as high as 20% positivity rate.
[/quote]

You must have missed the news on the mortality rate.

And, the positivity rate is a meaningless statistic. In fact, the public health director in my county has implored healthy people to go for tests to push down the rate.
10-19-2020 10:02 PM
Teamduh Offline
1st String

(10-19-2020 10:02 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  
(10-19-2020 05:33 PM)Teamduh Wrote:  

And, the positivity rate is a meaningless statistic. In fact, the public health director in my county has implored healthy people to go for tests to push down the rate.
[/quote]

Illinois uses the positivity rate to make changes to the phases which in turn opens and closes bars and restaurants. My comments reflect the observation that the rate is going up very quickly.

This is the criteria:
Sustained rise in positivity rate

Sustained increase in hospital admissions for COVID-19like illness

Reduction in hospital capacity threatening surge capabilities

Significant outbreak in the region that threatens the region’s health

10-19-2020 10:43 PM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-19-2020 10:43 PM)Teamduh Wrote:  
(10-19-2020 10:02 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  And, the positivity rate is a meaningless statistic. In fact, the public health director in my county has implored healthy people to go for tests to push down the rate.

Illinois uses the positivity rate to make changes to the phases which in turn opens and closes bars and restaurants. My comments reflect the observation that the rate is going up very quickly.

This is the criteria:

I'm not disputing how the state uses the positivity rate. I'm saying it is a nearly useless statistic, and JB's reliance on it shows how poorly our state government is handling this entire situation.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2020 09:27 AM by GeorgeBorkFan.)
10-20-2020 09:27 AM
Teamduh Offline
1st String

(10-20-2020 09:27 AM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  
(10-19-2020 10:02 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  And, the positivity rate is a meaningless statistic. In fact, the public health director in my county has implored healthy people to go for tests to push down the rate.

This is the criteria:

I'm not disputing how the state uses the positivity rate. I'm saying it is a nearly useless statistic, and JB's reliance on it shows how poorly our state government is handling this entire situation.
We were talking about the struggles of DeKalb fine eateries and the cause and effect of higher rates to those fine establishments. (Your opinion of the governor is just that, an opinion)

Let's find something we can agree on. How about, eat more beer nuggets?

10-20-2020 10:19 AM
Advertisement

HawaiiToNIU Online
All American

I Root For: NIU
(10-20-2020 10:19 AM)Teamduh Wrote:  

This is the criteria:

We were talking about the struggles of DeKalb fine eateries and the cause and effect of higher rates to those fine establishments. (Your opinion of the governor is just that, an opinion)

Thank you. Let's not concern ourselves with things outside of our control and focus on things we can. Stick to the topic.

Cheese nugs and the love of Pizza Villa.
10-20-2020 10:27 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(10-20-2020 10:27 AM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  

This is the criteria:

Thank you. Let's not concern ourselves with things outside of our control and focus on things we can. Stick to the topic.

Pizza Villa and the Junction are two venerable eating establishments that have remained virtually unchanged since I went to school at NIU in the early to mid 1970s. Love it!
10-20-2020 10:45 AM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

(10-19-2020 10:02 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  
(10-19-2020 05:33 PM)Teamduh Wrote:  

[/quote]

Nice Public Health official. My God. What have we come to!

And BTW, we are allowing it.
10-20-2020 10:46 AM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(10-20-2020 10:27 AM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  

This is the criteria:

The topic is the struggles of Dekalb businesses during the virus event. Their struggles are related to the actions taken by our state government. It is all the same discussion.

I live here. Most of you guys visit a couple of weekends a year. I want to see these businesses thrive as much or more than everyone else. They won't survive doing carryout. DeKalb is already a mess. These new challenges are going to be very hard on the local economy and the city as a whole.
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2020 11:21 AM by GeorgeBorkFan.)
10-20-2020 10:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.