Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Football players to watch this season:
Bookmark and Share
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
There are three phases to a football game: Offense, Defense and Special Teams. Of these three phases, who would you guess might be a nice surprise and who do you believe will play at a steady high caliber pace this season?

Regarding Defense:

First off I would like to comment on the defensive line. I was really excited to hear that Ty Eddington and Clay Holford would be back for an extra year. I felt they would give us one of the top DLs in the league. Then I saw Hunt left don’t know why? Then Eddington was no longer on the roster. Why? In fact early last week Holford was off the roster and then I saw he was back on it at the end of the week. With that said, I still think our DL will be better than average. Woo is a solid starter but who will play the other DT? Haney played some DT last Ye and really came on strong. Is he a DT or a DE? Let’s go with DE for now. Plus add Turan Rush as the other starting DE and Clay Holford as a very good back up. I saw Michael Williams was switched to DL too. Overall, I believe we won’t be as good as we were a couple of Seasons ago with Maxx and Harrison but I think our DL will be better than MAC average.

Nice Surprise on D - I’m going with LB Tariq Speight
All MAC on D - Mikey Haney

Regarding offense:

Nice Surprise 1: Preston Hutchinson - I thought he played well last season in spring game and against WMU.
Nice Surprise 2: Dooley
Nice Surprise 3: Drummond
Nice Surprise 4: Thomas Odukoya (CC said the most talented TE he ever coached)
Nice Surprise 5: Sady Sow

All MAC: Quain WILLIAMS sp?
All MAC: Drummond
All MAC: CJ Parks

I’ll comment on special teams later.

Question for cidbearit - do you know why Eddington left?
10-05-2020 11:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

alum93 Offline
2nd String

RE: Football players to watch this season:
(10-05-2020 11:05 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  There are three phases to a football game: Offense, Defense and Special Teams. Of these three phases, who would you guess might be a nice surprise and who do you believe will play at a steady high caliber pace this season?

Regarding Defense:

First off I would like to comment on the defensive line. I was really excited to hear that Ty Eddington and Clay Holford would be back for an extra year. I felt they would give us one of the top DLs in the league. Then I saw Hunt left don’t know why? Then Eddington was no longer on the roster. Why? In fact early last week Holford was off the roster and then I saw he was back on it at the end of the week. With that said, I still think our DL will be better than average. Woo is a solid starter but who will play the other DT? Haney played some DT last Ye and really came on strong. Is he a DT or a DE? Let’s go with DE for now. Plus add Turan Rush as the other starting DE and Clay Holford as a very good back up. I saw Michael Williams was switched to DL too. Overall, I believe we won’t be as good as we were a couple of Seasons ago with Maxx and Harrison but I think our DL will be better than MAC average.

Regarding offense:

Nice Surprise 1: Preston Hutchinson - I thought he played well last season in spring game and against WMU.

I am anxious to see Darius Boone in the backfield.
10-05-2020 11:44 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
(10-05-2020 11:05 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  There are three phases to a football game: Offense, Defense and Special Teams. Of these three phases, who would you guess might be a nice surprise and who do you believe will play at a steady high caliber pace this season?

Regarding Defense:

Regarding offense:

ive got a feeling about beydoun - he screams 'safety blanket'
10-05-2020 03:07 PM
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MSU

Regarding Defense:

Regarding offense:

Nothing even close to definitive.
10-05-2020 03:55 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
I like Cannon at TE.
Grissom could be explosive with CC calling the plays.
I like Scheidt at LB
Agree with Parks at WR.
Smith at RB
Darius Jackson at DT
10-05-2020 06:12 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

A lot of talented players being mentioned. I'm looking forward to seeing how Preston developed as the starting QB. Also interested to see who emerges at RB as that position will look very different this year.

I'm going with Greg Kelley on defense. If he plays well it'll be the talk of college football.
10-05-2020 06:57 PM
Advertisement

EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
Will Greg Kelley start? What an amazing journey/story if he does........CJ Parks and Williams and Grissom all have NFL skills! Haney longterm might as well!
10-05-2020 08:54 PM
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

Word I'm getting is Grissom may end up back at QB. Possible rotation depending on situational needs.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020 11:21 PM by cidbearit.)
10-05-2020 11:20 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(10-05-2020 11:20 PM)cidbearit Wrote:  Word I'm getting is Grissom may end up back at QB. Possible rotation depending on situational needs.

Whoa! I like it. Put the ball in that kid’s hands. Most electric player on the team...

...as long as Creighton let’s him throw it too. Teams will load the box if we use him merely as a wildcat QB.
10-06-2020 05:20 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

Preston Hutchinson!!! I'm excited for this kid.
10-06-2020 06:33 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
I think the area of concern on the defensive line is the tackle spot not the defensive end as we tend to rotate that position more
10-06-2020 07:40 AM
Advertisement

1st String

My area of concern is the linebackers! Very little experience as well! Replacing Hoying, Calhoun, and McGill is also challenging! The DL better play well, or it might be a long season! CC focused much more on recruiting offensive players this past class......I see a 3-3 season! I hope I'm wrong.......2-4 if the DL is similar to last season! We should score a lot of points though!
10-06-2020 02:31 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(10-06-2020 02:31 PM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  My area of concern is the linebackers! Very little experience as well! Replacing Hoying, Calhoun, and McGill is also challenging! The DL better play well, or it might be a long season! CC focused much more on recruiting offensive players this past class......I see a 3-3 season! I hope I'm wrong.......2-4 if the DL is similar to last season! We should score a lot of points though!
No reason we can't go 5-1.
10-07-2020 06:35 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(10-07-2020 06:35 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(10-06-2020 02:31 PM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  My area of concern is the linebackers! Very little experience as well! Replacing Hoying, Calhoun, and McGill is also challenging! The DL better play well, or it might be a long season! CC focused much more on recruiting offensive players this past class......I see a 3-3 season! I hope I'm wrong.......2-4 if the DL is similar to last season! We should score a lot of points though!

Assuming we play all MAC West teams plus a crossover, if we go 5-1 with that defense, then Creighton is a deity. I think 4-2 would be a success, 3-3 is my expectation, and 2-4 is a real possibility.

I really like our offense, but I’m not sure if they can score enough to mask the defensive issues that we will almost certainly have after losing several All-MAC players and not doing enough to address the DL.
10-07-2020 07:20 AM
1st String

(10-07-2020 07:20 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  

Assuming we play all MAC West teams plus a crossover, if we go 5-1 with that defense, then Creighton is a deity. I think 4-2 would be a success, 3-3 is my expectation, and 2-4 is a real possibility.

I really like our offense, but I’m not sure if they can score enough to mask the defensive issues that we will almost certainly have after losing several All-MAC players and not doing enough to address the DL.
EagleSam, I unfortunately have to agree with you as I mentioned earlier! At Ball St At N Illinois At W Mich Toledo At home C Mich at home, and I'm guessing either Ohio U or Miami as the crossover game! Not one cupcake game!
10-07-2020 07:57 AM
1st String

Bob, I sure hope sure correct! Shades of 87-93! ?
10-07-2020 07:59 AM
Advertisement

cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

(10-07-2020 07:20 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  I really like our offense, but I’m not sure if they can score enough to mask the defensive issues that we will almost certainly have after losing several All-MAC players and not doing enough to address the DL.

In talking to my O-Lineman, he has sounded pretty optimistic about the D-Line and also how the linebacker situation is developing. Alex has commented that he believes the defense will do better than folks are generally expecting.

I think one wildcard here is that with COVID, since they have not been able to do regular practices and drilling in full pads yet, the coaches have been pushing strength and conditioning, and the word I'm getting is that a good number of guys may be coming in quite a bit stronger/more agile than they were last year. Also, if some freshmen do get playtime this year, Alex commented that a couple of the new defensive guys are pretty impressive.

It will be interesting to hear what Alex has to say once they start drilling in pads.
10-07-2020 08:49 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(10-07-2020 08:49 AM)cidbearit Wrote:  
(10-07-2020 07:20 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  I really like our offense, but I’m not sure if they can score enough to mask the defensive issues that we will almost certainly have after losing several All-MAC players and not doing enough to address the DL.

In talking to my O-Lineman, he has sounded pretty optimistic about the D-Line and also how the linebacker situation is developing. Alex has commented that he believes the defense will do better than folks are generally expecting.

I think one wildcard here is that with COVID, since they have not been able to do regular practices and drilling in full pads yet, the coaches have been pushing strength and conditioning, and the word I'm getting is that a good number of guys may be coming in quite a bit stronger/more agile than they were last year. Also, if some freshmen do get playtime this year, Alex commented that a couple of the new defensive guys are pretty impressive.

It will be interesting to hear what Alex has to say once they start drilling in pads.
Thanks as always. Great insight. Which freshmen might play?
10-07-2020 09:08 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(10-07-2020 09:08 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  

Thanks as always. Great insight. Which freshmen might play?

There is no NCAA reason to redshirt anyone this year. This season is kind of a bonus season ala what college baseball was in March.

It will be interesting to see how C.C. uses his ENTIRE recruiting class and the 2019 redshirts who would be playing their first season of ball this fall.

C.C. could have say roughly 35 newcomers to mix into the lineup and give PT.

As the poster above suggests, with so many newcomers there are bound to be some who are 'ahead of the curve' as far as D-I readiness...

Let the speculation begin...
10-07-2020 10:03 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

Thanks for the info. I really hope they prove me wrong. It would be great for our defense to bounce back.
10-07-2020 02:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.