Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Night and day
Bookmark and Share
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

I Root For: Southern Miss
Night and day
The energy and effort the team is displaying tonight is light years ahead of what we’ve seen in quite a while. It’s as if they believe they can win or something.

I’m not going to say Walden’s the guy we need just based upon one half, but it’s painfully obvious he’s a huge improvement over Hopson.
09-19-2020 08:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SouthernMiss3613 Offline
1st String

RE: Night and day
Hopson was a better coach. This guy made a ton of dumb coaching mistakes in this game. Going for 2?
09-19-2020 10:03 PM
BIG PINEAPPLE Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: HAWAII
Agreed. He needs to ask an experienced coach the top 50 dumb coaching moves to avoid.
09-19-2020 10:35 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

Walden's the guy. Eight+ wins this year. Gotta believe the players screwed up a read on that extra point play. Bone head otherwise. Either way, we have far less talent and looked like the better team most the night. Would have lost by 30 if Hopson was coaching tonight.
09-19-2020 10:42 PM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

The result sucks balls. We blew a 3-score lead. We still have a crapload of things to fix, and we’ll just have to see if Walden can fix them.

That said, the team showed more life & fight in one night than they have in the last half-dozen games or so and it was a huge improvement over the South Alabama game—though who knows how USA & LT stack up side-by-side. It sure looked like a step in the right direction.

Two things we have to accept for now: 1) We didn’t get here overnight and won’t climb out of it overnight, and 2) We have a 30-year-old HC who’s coaching his 1st games in FBS. He’s gonna eff up here & there.

Buckle up for a long rest of the season. Enjoy the highs but expect some lows.
09-19-2020 11:12 PM
Advertisement

techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
if Walden wants to be a cheerleader, then y'all should fit him for a skirt
09-20-2020 12:11 AM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(09-20-2020 12:11 AM)techdawg88 Wrote:  if Walden wants to be a cheerleader, then y'all should fit him for a skirt

Are you really that hard up for smack talk, you came here to take swipes at our 30-year-old interim head coach’s enthusiasm?

It’s probably a little too much of an inside story for you to know, but the last HC of ours someone compared to a cheerleader—“nothing but a danged cheerleader” IIRC, to be more precise—rah-rahed us right into a conference title and a Top 20 finish, so that insult has kinda lost its sting around here.
09-20-2020 12:42 AM
EagNBran Offline
All American

We definitely looked different, but the result remains. We blew a three score lead. We’ll see how things progress as the year goes on though. Not like we don’t have time to search for a new coach, and if Scottie puts it together, even better. I’m still concerned about anyone on this staff and recruiting, because the talent is still bad and they’re responsible for that. Would Scottie really approach recruiting differently than he did as OC?
09-20-2020 05:17 AM
Bleacher Eagle Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USM
(09-19-2020 10:42 PM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  we have far less talent and looked like the better team most the night.

What? They had TWENTY guys in their 2-deep out with COVID including 6 starters and were rotating 2 guys at QB, neither of which have ever played significant minutes in a college. I wouldn’t claim that to be “far” more talent than us.
09-20-2020 07:38 AM
Advertisement

HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(09-20-2020 05:17 AM)EagNBran Wrote:  We definitely looked different, but the result remains. We blew a three score lead. We’ll see how things progress as the year goes on though. Not like we don’t have time to search for a new coach, and if Scottie puts it together, even better. I’m still concerned about anyone on this staff and recruiting, because the talent is still bad and they’re responsible for that. Would Scottie really approach recruiting differently than he did as OC?

There’s zero doubt in my mind we could get better players with Walden as HC than with Hopson as HC. Walden very clearly has a more aggressive mindset than Who Else You Got, Jr.

That’s not saying I’m convinced Walden would clean up. A potted plant watered & fertilized regularly would probably recruit more aggressively than Hopson.
09-20-2020 10:29 AM
EagNBran Offline
All American

Getting better players requires pursuing better players, something I’m not convinced Walden has done in the past. But I won’t pretend to know the ins and outs of college recruiting, so I’ll just look at on-field results. My fear is that we’ll let the players ‘rally’ around a coach with a losing season (whether it’s his fault or not) and take the lazy way to this coaching search instead of actually doing one.
09-20-2020 02:05 PM
DogsWin1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Not here for smack, just giving $0.02 for you to take or leave as you wish. I watched your USA game and attended the Tech game. I'm convinced that if Hopson coached last night Tech would have won by two TDs. Instead, you were literally one 4th down incompletion from discussing your massive improvement and WIN today.

Best of luck to USM this season. I'm glad we don't have to play you again this year.
09-20-2020 10:47 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
I like the guy.. But I won't say he's the man for the job. IF he's not the guy, we need someone like that. Sh*t I wanted to strap on the pads and put my head in the chest of my fellow man at one point watching him.
09-21-2020 08:52 AM
Advertisement

Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

(09-19-2020 10:03 PM)SouthernMiss3613 Wrote:  Hopson was a better coach. This guy made a ton of dumb coaching mistakes in this game. Going for 2?

I'm trying to figure out if you are joking with us all or being serious. I have to believe this was meant as a joke. First, he's only coached 1 game, Hopson had 4 years - 1 game is not enough to determine.

But Hopson (nice guy I like personally) was barely average as a head coach. I'm not even going to bother with listing all the dumb game time decisions he made because they are already well documented on multiple Southern Miss boards. I will say the one that got under my skin multiple times was his ability to call (or not) time-outs at the absolute dumbest times of any head coach I've ever watched.

But beside Hopson - what new head coach hasn't made a few mistakes? And if they had executed the play, we'd be calling him a helluva coach for risking it. Players like it when coaches believe in them. Remember Fedora? Remember Monken? I remember Fedora making me want to throw a brick at him. He was a risk taker and it was exciting to watch, he recruited off of that and as he got his own players in the program those plays started working.

I'll take a coach that takes a few risk any day over one that puts me to sleep.

With that said -I haven't decided whether or not we've got the right guy to offer the job, but he sure as hell is not worse than what we had. JMHO04-cheers
09-21-2020 09:50 AM
Black Diamond Reb Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ole Miss / USM
(09-21-2020 09:50 AM)Up2stuff Wrote:  The WonderDog has only coached 1 game.

What about his stellar record at East Dallas Baptist State Normal Hillsboro Private Campus / Leon's House? Or was it Australian D4 Rugby Daylight Saving Rules and Strategy?
09-21-2020 11:30 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(09-21-2020 11:30 AM)Black Diamond Reb Wrote:  

What about his stellar record at East Dallas Baptist State Normal Hillsboro Private Campus / Leon's House? Or was it Australian D4 Rugby Daylight Saving Rules and Strategy? he has the best vertical leap since Sergio at the Masters
09-21-2020 12:10 PM
Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

What about his stellar record at East Dallas Baptist State Normal Hillsboro Private Campus / Leon's House? Or was it Australian D4 Rugby Daylight Saving Rules and Strategy?

True - good point, but I know nothing about the talent he had there when he took it either, so it's hard for me to pass judgement on that. Which brings up another point, part of being a good head coach is bringing in the best talent you possibly can for the positions needing it. So, I'm not even sure a good coach could do much this year. What I look for is - is he playing to win, or just playing not to lose (which Hopson was a champ at). I think playing to win will help recruiting. Like I said though, whether or not we've got the guy to do it remains to be seen.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2020 08:23 AM by Up2stuff.)
09-21-2020 01:23 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(09-21-2020 01:23 PM)Up2stuff Wrote:  

True - good point, but I know nothing about the talent he had there when he took it either, so it's hard for me to pass judgement on that. Which brings up another point, part of being a good head coach is bringing in the best talent you possibly can for the positions needing it. So, I'm not even sure a good coach could do much this year. What I look for is he playing to win, or just playing not to lose (which Hopson was a champ at). I think playing to win will help recruiting. Like I said though, whether or not we've got the guy to do it remains to be seen.
Concur.

I stand by my statement, if he's not the guy, we need someone with his energy
09-22-2020 02:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.