CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
2020 Big Ten Football Schedule
https://bigten.org/news/2020/9/19/big-te...eason.aspx

https://btn.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/...3893A.jpeg

FOX has announced two games will air on FOX:
Oct. 24: Nebraska at Ohio State
Dec. 12: Michigan at Ohio State

I have not heard of any ABC/ESPN announcements yet although Ohio State at Penn State would be the first game I'd pick if I was them.

Big Games:

Oct. 24: Nebraska at Ohio State, Michigan at Minnesota, Penn State at Indiana
Oct. 31: Ohio State at Penn State, Michigan State at Michigan, Wisconsin at Nebraska
Nov. 7: Michigan at Indiana (light week)
Nov. 14: Wisconsin at Michigan, Penn State at Nebraska, Iowa at Minnesota
Nov. 21: Indiana at Ohio State, Iowa at Penn State
Nov. 28: Penn State at Michigan, Minnesota at Wisconsin, Nebraska at Iowa
Dec. 5: Ohio State at Michigan State
Dec. 12: Michigan at Ohio State, Wisconsin at Iowa, Michigan State at Penn State

Any games I missed?
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2020 12:35 PM by schmolik.)
09-19-2020 10:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
RE: 2020 Big Ten Football Schedule
BREAKING - The B1G has leaked the remainder of Nebraska's schedule after the lawsuits and after having them open at preseason conference favorite Ohio State:

Week 2 - Penn State
Week 3 - Wisconsin
Week 4 - Michigan
Week 5 - 2019 LSU
Week 6 - 2001 Miami
Week 7 - Cleveland Browns
Week 8 - 1985 Chicago Bears

USFFan
09-19-2020 10:44 AM
schmolik Offline

(09-19-2020 10:44 AM)usffan Wrote:  BREAKING - The B1G has leaked the remainder of Nebraska's schedule after the lawsuits and after having them open at preseason conference favorite Ohio State:

Week 2 - Penn State
Week 3 - Wisconsin
Week 4 - Michigan
Week 5 - 2019 LSU
Week 6 - 2001 Miami
Week 7 - Cleveland Browns
Week 8 - 1985 Chicago Bears

USFFan

We decided to give them a break by giving them the Browns:)
09-19-2020 10:47 AM
schmolik Offline

Crossovers:

Ohio State: Nebraska, Illinois
Penn State: Nebraska, Iowa
Michigan: Minnesota, Wisconsin
Michigan State: Iowa, Northwestern
Indiana: Wisconsin, Purdue
Maryland: Northwestern, Minnesota
Rutgers: Illinois, Purdue

Wisconsin: Michigan, Indiana
Minnesota: Michigan, Maryland
Iowa: Michigan State, Penn State
Nebraska: Ohio State, Penn State
Illinois: Rutgers, Ohio State
Purdue: Rutgers, Indiana
Northwestern: Maryland, Michigan State

Hardest: Nebraska. Not even close.
Easiest: Purdue and Rutgers
09-19-2020 10:54 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Urban Meyer called Ohio State's schedule almost a "Clemson schedule". It does look like the B1G has set them up to have the best chance to run the table for the CFP.
09-19-2020 11:18 AM
schmolik Offline

(09-19-2020 11:18 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Urban Meyer called Ohio State's schedule almost a "Clemson schedule". It does look like the B1G has set them up to have the best chance to run the table for the CFP.

Everyone's writing off Penn State defending home field against Brutus. Go ahead and count us out! We'll see come Halloween! It will suck not having fans this year though.

An easy year for Ohio State would be the years they get PSU at Columbus. Since 2004 Michigan has beaten Ohio State just ONCE so who would OSU rather travel to, Penn State or Michigan? Penn State beat Ohio State four times in the same span although surprisingly two of the four were in Columbus.
09-19-2020 11:42 AM
Advertisement

Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
Seems risky to save all the big rivalry games for the end of the season, as is done traditionally.
09-19-2020 11:47 AM
schmolik Offline

(09-19-2020 11:47 AM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  Seems risky to save all the big rivalry games for the end of the season, as is done traditionally.

Agreed.
09-19-2020 12:07 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
Big Ten acting like a bit*h by giving Nebraska that schedule, petty!
09-19-2020 12:16 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
And if anyone is thinking Indiana is an easy win...you better reconsider. They are building a really nice program in Bloomington. Ask all those 4/5 ☆ athletes at Tennessee how hard it is to earn a victory against them.
09-19-2020 12:20 PM
schmolik Offline

If the conference TV contracts aren't altered because of this season, FOX and ESPN/ABC have a draft as to which network gets first pick of games for a given week. They don't have to pick a game now although in some cases they have. I assume that the two networks have completed their drafts. FOX for the length of the contract always gets first pick. It's safe to assume they chose Dec. 12 for their first choice and picked Michigan/Ohio State since they have done that every year since they signed the contract. I'd also assume Nebraska/Ohio State was an odd numbered pick (3rd, 5th, or 7th, I highly doubt 7th). Networks can reserve the week but don't have to choose a game.

If I were drafting, I would do

1) FOX - Dec. 12 (Michigan-Ohio State)
2) ESPN/ABC - Oct. 31 (Ohio State-Penn State) - Other advantage to this week is two other big games to choose from, MSU/Mich and Wisc/Neb
3) FOX - Nov. 28 (Penn State-Michigan) - Also Minnesota-Wisconsin. This is where you reserve the week but don't pick the game.
4) ESPN/ABC - Nov. 14 (Wisconsin-Michigan)
5) FOX - Oct. 24 (Nebraska-Ohio State)
6) ESPN/ABC - Dec. 5 (Ohio State-Michigan State)
7) FOX - Nov. 21 (Indiana-Ohio State)
8) ESPN/ABC - Nov. 7 (Michigan-Indiana)

I would expect most of the FOX Big Ten showcase games to air at noon. Bedlam is on Nov. 21 so if FOX gets that game it should have priority over Ind/OSU. I'd also expect a Big Ten game to air on Halloween on FOX. Unless ESPN's stupid, FOX won't get OSU/PSU but either MSU/Mich or Wisc/Neb is a worthy Big Noon game. Even if ESPN/ABC gets first choice Nov. 28, the secondary game will likely be worthy of the Big Noon slot on FOX that day.

On Nov. 14, Alabama at LSU play on CBS at 6pm ET which if ABC gets Wisconsin/Michigan they are in a bit of a pickle and really have no choice but to air it at noon ET to avoid it getting killed by Bama/LSU (both the 3:30pm and prime time slots will be affected). FOX would probably think the same thing. You might see the top two Big Ten games in the noon ET slot that week like last year when Penn State/Minnesota and Maryland/Ohio State at the same time. You might see Penn State-Michigan and Minnesota-Wisconsin both air at noon ET on Nov. 28 as both FOX and ABC would want to avoid the Iron Bowl (it's not scheduled but I would assume it would be 3:30pm ET on CBS) and neither Michigan nor Wisconsin would want to play at night on Thanksgiving weekend.
09-19-2020 12:34 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
It's a shame that Ohio St/Penn St won't have fans... That game on Halloween night?
09-19-2020 12:46 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Michigan fans are probably thinking....

Oh poor Nebraska. They have to play OSU, PSU and Wisconsin THIS season? Try playing them EVERY season!
09-19-2020 06:44 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(09-19-2020 12:16 PM)cubucks Wrote:  Big Ten acting like a bit*h by giving Nebraska that schedule, petty!

Ohio State
Nebraska
@Penn St
Rutgers
@Maryland
Indiana
@Illinois
@Michigan St
Michigan

Nebraska
@Ohio St
Wisconsin
@Northwestern
Penn St
Illinois
@Iowa
@Purdue
Minnesota

Looks like a minefield for either one. Similar to the SEC, conference play in the B1G can be a brutal affair.
09-19-2020 09:38 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(09-19-2020 11:42 AM)schmolik Wrote:  
(09-19-2020 11:18 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Urban Meyer called Ohio State's schedule almost a "Clemson schedule". It does look like the B1G has set them up to have the best chance to run the table for the CFP.

Everyone's writing off Penn State defending home field against Brutus. Go ahead and count us out! We'll see come Halloween! It will suck not having fans this year though.

An easy year for Ohio State would be the years they get PSU at Columbus. Since 2004 Michigan has beaten Ohio State just ONCE so who would OSU rather travel to, Penn State or Michigan? Penn State beat Ohio State four times in the same span although surprisingly two of the four were in Columbus.

I am sure Meyer knows that @ Penn State is a huge and dangerous game for Ohio State. But it's basically the only such game.
09-19-2020 10:22 PM
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
For OSU, I really only see one tough game, PSU. Nothing else. They got gifted 3 baked in wins. I am not impressed with their schedule. With conference only play, their wins are going to be against some teams that may be winless or even having just 1 win. Their eyeball SOS is gonna be a disaster. GOD help them if one of their semi decent games is cancelled this season.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2020 02:34 AM by otown.)
09-20-2020 02:31 AM
Advertisement

schmolik Offline

Every team plays their six divisional opponents as well as their "annual crossover game" (https://thespun.com/college-football/big...022-2027). Thank you Center SquarEd for the link!

According to the original 2020 nine game schedules (I downloaded a pdf to my computer, I doubt any of them are on the internet now), each Big Ten East team was scheduled to host their crossover team and the East teams were scheduled to play five Big Ten games and four road games while the West Division teams had four home and five road. So the easy way to change the schedule was to eliminate the extra home games for the East teams. Nebraska's annual crossover for this cycle is Ohio State and who they had on the road and their scheduled home game for 2020 was Penn State so those were their two Eastern opponents. By that logic, Nebraska didn't get screwed, they just got unlucky. The Nebraska game that got canceled? AT RUTGERS!!!! That will make them want to cry.

So there was no conspiracy against Nebraska. Unlike the SEC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYkc72gqCCM
09-20-2020 06:01 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Right, everybody is playing 8 out of the 9 teams that were on their original conference schedule before the pandemic, the game that got removed was the same for each team.

But the game they got rid of was kind of strange to me. Except for Indy-Purdue, there was no special need to keep the annual cross-over game that teams play every year. Neb, Wisc, Iowa have probably seen enough of OSU, Mich, PSU, respectively. They really didn't need to see each other again. It would make more sense to keep the team on the schedule that you only see once every 3 years. It wouldn't have been too hard to make it work. They could have set it up to have Indy and Purdue to play on champions weekend unless one of them makes the CCG, in which case, they probably wouldn't mind not playing each other.

So in that sense, Neb got screwed because they took away the Rutgers game instead of taking away the OSU game.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2020 03:02 PM by goofus.)
09-20-2020 02:59 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

Someone is still upset at the team that gave him his worst ever beating.

But it’s not always a bad thing when a son wants to emulate their daddy like in this case.
09-20-2020 06:03 PM
Nittany_Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
(09-19-2020 10:54 AM)schmolik Wrote:  Crossovers:

Ohio State: Nebraska, Illinois
Penn State: Nebraska, Iowa
Michigan: Minnesota, Wisconsin
Michigan State: Iowa, Northwestern
Indiana: Wisconsin, Purdue
Maryland: Northwestern, Minnesota
Rutgers: Illinois, Purdue

Wisconsin: Michigan, Indiana
Minnesota: Michigan, Maryland
Iowa: Michigan State, Penn State
Nebraska: Ohio State, Penn State
Illinois: Rutgers, Ohio State
Purdue: Rutgers, Indiana
Northwestern: Maryland, Michigan State

Of note, all those cross-over games (14 of them) were part of the original original (version 1.0!) 2020 Big Ten schedule.

There are usually 21 cross-over games in a B1G season. These cross-over games were lost (all home games for the East):

Ohio State vs Iowa
Penn State vs Northwestern
Michigan vs Purdue
Michigan State vs Minnesota
Indiana vs Illinois
Maryland vs Wisconsin
Rutgers vs Nebraska
09-20-2020 06:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.