Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sources: MAC to Meet about Possible Fall Football
Bookmark and Share
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
Exclamation Sources: MAC to Meet about Possible Fall Football
Quote:The Mid-American Conference presidents will meet Saturday to review a possible fall football season as momentum builds around the league to get back on the field, sources told ESPN.

The Toledo Blade, which first reported the presidents' meeting, reported the MAC is considering a six- or eight-game fall schedule that would begin Oct. 24 and culminate with a conference championship game at Detroit's Ford Field.

ESPN
09-17-2020 02:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bronco'14 Online
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
RE: Sources: MAC to Meet about Possible Fall Football
I'd vote 6 game - 5 in division, 1 in other division

Also wondering if we could play MACC on campus site? Maybe we're locked into Ford Field via contract?
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2020 02:48 PM by Bronco'14.)
09-17-2020 02:42 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(09-17-2020 02:42 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  I'd vote 6 game - 5 in division, 1 in other division

Also wondering if we could play MACC on campus site? Maybe we're locked into Ford Field via contract?

I would vote for a 7 game schedule - 5 intra division + 2 cross divisional foes. Six, seven or eight all work with 5 intra-divisional games + 1 or 2 or 3 crossover games.

Looking at the calendar: 2 games in October and 5 in November. One game could be added or subtracted to get to 6 or 8 games, if desired.

As far as where the MACC is to be played: If we play a fall schedule then it would need to be at Ford Field.

If we play a 6 game schedule, MACC could be played the normal 'scheduled' date, the first weekend in December.

If we play a spring season, I'd go with the team with the best record hosting.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2020 03:29 PM by emu steve.)
09-17-2020 03:22 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
I'm not sure how you create a poll on here anymore, it's been eons.

But it'd go something like this...

What do you think will result from the MAC Presidents meeting Saturday?

A - Fall proposal rejected, focus is back on spring
B - All MAC schools agree to play fall season
C - Some MAC schools agree to play fall season, some opt to sit out
D - No resolution, topic "tabled" until a week or so later

It's a tough one. I think any of these are viable. Everyone kind of knew last week the B1G was going to dive back into Fall. But I don't think it's anywhere near as cut n' dry for the MAC. We've got a lot more hurdles and less pressure from outside forces to play.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2020 06:14 PM by Motown Bronco.)
09-17-2020 06:12 PM
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

Rejected. I think the 3 hockey schools say no, plus NIU & UA have been vocal about not playing, so that's 5 NOs already right there.

Also, I say 6 game schedule b/c it's a way to decrease financial/COVID risk
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2020 07:04 PM by Bronco'14.)
09-17-2020 07:04 PM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
09-18-2020 04:20 AM
Advertisement

JHVMU19 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Miami (OH)
(09-17-2020 06:12 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  I'm not sure how you create a poll on here anymore, it's been eons.

But it'd go something like this...

What do you think will result from the MAC Presidents meeting Saturday?

A - Fall proposal rejected, focus is back on spring
B - All MAC schools agree to play fall season
C - Some MAC schools agree to play fall season, some opt to sit out
D - No resolution, topic "tabled" until a week or so later

It's a tough one. I think any of these are viable. Everyone kind of knew last week the B1G was going to dive back into Fall. But I don't think it's anywhere near as cut n' dry for the MAC. We've got a lot more hurdles and less pressure from outside forces to play.

B Hopefully (C would less OK; A & D are disasters)
Then MAC hopefully announces ESPN/CBSSN deal to have 1 OOC game for each MAC team this season against MWC to be televised in EAST vs WEST Challenge.
09-18-2020 07:00 AM
zrb2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: U at Buffalo
No FBS teams will be playing spring ball. That's the memo. Either you push ahead and try to play an Oct-Dec season or you wait until Fall 2021. The MAC i think are doing the right thing....even if there will be a game or two that gets postponed along the way. The Naysayers will say they are treating the kids as guinea pigs. I disagree. The student athletes can opt out, as can any coaching staff with pre-existing conditions. However, these are adults and all should have the right to choose to play the game they've worked so hard for. The data is in, and the virus is most dangerous to the same population that it was in March/April... the elderly and immunocompromised. The hospitalization rate for under-24 is so low that it doesn't register on graphs.
09-18-2020 07:01 AM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

Solid points buddy agree 100%
09-18-2020 07:23 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(09-18-2020 07:01 AM)zrb2 Wrote:  However, these are adults and all should have the right to choose to play the game they've worked so hard for.

Ah yes. The right of the people to participate in sport, even during a pandemic, was eloquently described in Federalist 93.
09-18-2020 10:11 AM
shankapotamus1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: CMU
(09-18-2020 07:01 AM)zrb2 Wrote:  No FBS teams will be playing spring ball. That's the memo. Either you push ahead and try to play an Oct-Dec season or you wait until Fall 2021. The MAC i think are doing the right thing....even if there will be a game or two that gets postponed along the way. The Naysayers will say they are treating the kids as guinea pigs. I disagree. The student athletes can opt out, as can any coaching staff with pre-existing conditions. However, these are adults and all should have the right to choose to play the game they've worked so hard for. The data is in, and the virus is most dangerous to the same population that it was in March/April... the elderly and immunocompromised. The hospitalization rate for under-24 is so low that it doesn't register on graphs.

So just curious. By that same token do you also agree that they have the right to continue playing after a big hit that leaves them woozy or too many cumulative concussions? They are adults after all. Not all FB players develop CTE.

And we don't know that they are not subject to long term effects of infection. That is still up for debate.
09-18-2020 12:11 PM
Advertisement

cmufanatic Offline
1st String

A great point however when one is immediately concussed they are not thinking with 100% clarity, and need an advocate to help ensure their safety ie a medical personal to throw in the towel of you will. Risking a postive covid test or infection is a different in my opinion
09-18-2020 12:16 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
We can all agree, I hope, that 200,000+ American deaths is beyond a nightmare number to the point that there is no reasonable comparison in American history. Yes, most of those are elderly and few are college age and younger (not much comfort to the families of those college kids who have died recently from Covid despite no underlying health conditions.) But almost 10% of the a Covid deaths in the last several months are aged 40-60. These are the people who work at the universities, the athletic departments, the coaching staffs, the service areas etc. The danger of death and serious health consequences still exists for players and students, however minimally, but the real danger is their spreading the virus to those who necessarily supervise and facilitate their activities. How many of those are we willing to sacrifice, and there will be some, as we continue to see throughout the country, until the plug is pulled?

I assume people who just want to plow ahead and what happens, happens, are not people who have lost relatives and close friends to this pandemic. Easy to be casual about it when the deaths haven’t touched you personally. And the problem, which is very apparent across the country, is that many college age folks don’t take it seriously nor care who they expose to it as long as they aren’t in great danger themselves.

Personally, I have no opinion on whether a football season can be pulled off or not. I was really looking forward to this season for many of the reasons I guess everyone was looking forward to it. But the season I was hoping for is gone. Can another partial season still be played safely? I’d leave that decision to those with expertise in communicative diseases. I wouldn’t leave it to those who have no problem risking other people’s health so they can benefit in some financial or career way.
09-18-2020 12:21 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
(09-18-2020 12:21 PM)axeme Wrote:  Personally, I have no opinion on whether a football season can be pulled off or not. I was really looking forward to this season for many of the reasons I guess everyone was looking forward to it. But the season I was hoping for is gone. Can another partial season still be played safely? I’d leave that decision to those with expertise in communicative diseases. I wouldn’t leave it to those who have no problem risking other people’s health so they can benefit in some financial or career way.

It's kind of where I'm at. If we played at all, would've rather have already started and be 1/3rd through the season this weekend (assuming 8 conference games + 1 OOC).

I'd hate to be a MAC President now and commit to a vote. Either option is rife with different obvious risks.

I admit the "fan" in me will look forward to some Fall MACtion, and will help stave off mass discontentment and possible defections among our players. But the "realist" in me is concerned about this late October to mid December plan, and hoping that chasing other conferences and spending money we don't have out of FOMO doesn't come back to bite us.
09-18-2020 01:14 PM
astr083 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio State & MAC
(09-18-2020 01:14 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  
(09-18-2020 12:21 PM)axeme Wrote:  Personally, I have no opinion on whether a football season can be pulled off or not. I was really looking forward to this season for many of the reasons I guess everyone was looking forward to it. But the season I was hoping for is gone. Can another partial season still be played safely? I’d leave that decision to those with expertise in communicative diseases. I wouldn’t leave it to those who have no problem risking other people’s health so they can benefit in some financial or career way.

It's kind of where I'm at. If we played at all, would've rather have already started and be 1/3rd through the season this weekend (assuming 8 conference games + 1 OOC).

I'd hate to be a MAC President now and commit to a vote. Either option is rife with different obvious risks.

I admit the "fan" in me will look forward to some Fall MACtion, and will help stave off mass discontentment and possible defections among our players. But the "realist" in me is concerned about this late October to mid December plan, and hoping that chasing other conferences and spending money we don't have out of FOMO doesn't come back to bite us.

I agree with both posts.... The below articles provide similar and interesting insight. On another note, I am not in total agreement of the Big Ten, MAC, MWC and PAC12 playing at this point when there are so many unknowns.... Seems like the "squeaky wheels" of the Big Ten - OSU, Nebraska, Michigan, Iowa and PSU are ruling the day and everyone else jumped on board.....Hopefully they are doing the right thing.....Seems like there have been waaaay too many postponements and cancellations of games in only the 3rd week to expect to see a full-season completed.

Is a Big Ten football season really safe? We really do not know.

College football celebrates COVID-19 outbreaks, ridicules cautious approach?

Big Ten's decision to play football marks the darkest day in conferences sports history?
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2020 04:33 PM by astr083.)
09-18-2020 04:31 PM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

09-19-2020 10:06 AM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(09-19-2020 10:06 AM)cmufanatic Wrote:  https://twitter.com/NickPBlade/status/13...49728?s=19

So what did they discuss? Is there another meeting coming up?
09-19-2020 10:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

09-19-2020 10:48 AM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
09-19-2020 10:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

If they keep deciding to decide later, the fall season will be over
09-19-2020 11:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.