$390,000 so far. Fine start.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
09-07-2020 05:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
RE: Effort to Save Men's and Women's Swimming
Swimming has a three million dollar endowment?

This becomes the property of the general athletics fund?

Boy, one way of looking at this is that it is simply a money grab, and that decades of tradition are being tossed aside.

Where is the outrage?
09-07-2020 05:32 PM
Tribal Offline

I Root For: William & Mary
Effort to Save Men's and Women's Swimming
Ron Peterson:

AD Huge “turned over every single rock.” ???
Absolutely untrue. Tribe Club donors (including myself, father of a W&M Swim alum) were not contacted to donate to offset these cuts. And fyi, Tribe Swimming has their own $3 million endowment that may be seized for FB & hoops. Fair?

09-07-2020 05:36 PM
ColonelEbirt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
If team endowments actually become property of the Athletic Department if a team/sport is cut, then yeah, I have a massive problem with that. I have to think that’s not true - but would appreciate someone in the Athletic Department confirming one way or the other. And if it is true, the Athletic Department should have to account for every dollar of each cut sport’s endowment so there is full transparency of how it’s being used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-07-2020 05:38 PM
Tribal Offline

If this doesn't kick you in the gut. I hope Huge sees this...it won't raise her eyebrow, but it speaks volumes. Don't think for a second that Crispino...well, anyway...

https://www.savetribeswimming.com/post/m...oach-07-19

09-07-2020 07:39 PM
Advertisement

Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
I'm married to a former college swimmer (not W&M). My youngest is a competitive swimmer who was hoping to swim at W&M. When I grew up, swimming was just something you did for fun in the summer.

What I have learned living with two swimmers and being around that community is that there is a no more dedicated and driven group. They get up at 4am everyday to swim....their whole life....not just through college. Internal discipline is unparalleled. They have grown up with people dismissing their sport all the time with the exception of during the Summer Olympics. They will not be silenced or dismissed. Huge has no idea what she has awaken or the passion and hell she has opened herself to. No idea. They will raise the money. THEN, Huge will have a huge decision to deal with.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2020 09:03 PM by Tribe1693.)
09-07-2020 08:13 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

Just pledged.

One Tribe One Family .... from a baseball alum and in honor of all Sig Ep swimmers!

Their total is at $467,000.

The only $$ that William and Mary will get from me this year has been pledged to swimming.

If W&M wants my money, ...
09-07-2020 08:59 PM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

(09-07-2020 08:59 PM)nj alum Wrote:  Just pledged.

One Tribe One Family .... from a baseball alum and in honor of all Sig Ep swimmers!

Their total is at $467,000.

The only $$ that William and Mary will get from me this year has been pledged to swimming.

If W&M wants my money, ...

Thank you! I have as well. Please spread the link.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2020 09:01 PM by Tribe1693.)
09-07-2020 09:01 PM
soccerguy315 Offline
1st String

Is there a reason the school not have made a fundraising push to endow the entire program before cutting?
09-07-2020 09:10 PM
Tribal Offline

(09-07-2020 09:10 PM)soccerguy315 Wrote:  Is there a reason the school not have made a fundraising push to endow the entire program before cutting?
Because Huge's motivation has always been to elevate basketball at all cost. I'm all for a great basketball program but not at all cost.

Fixing up Kaplan, firing Shaver expecting JT3 to jump in the seat, win the NCAAT, then bounce for Vanderbilt was the gameplan. Turns out, the fix up Kaplan part is going according to plan, JT3 said no, we were booted from the CAAT game one, and Vanderbilt went in a different direction.

Regroup, and keep the at all cost philosophy going.

Again, my biggest problem is waiting until September, massive AD staffing with no firings, and the utter lies about turning over every rock. ZERO attempt at saving 7 programs. No public fundraising. No plea to save those programs because they were a burden.

09-07-2020 09:28 PM
Advertisement

soccerguy315 Offline
1st String

(09-07-2020 09:28 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
(09-07-2020 09:10 PM)soccerguy315 Wrote:  Is there a reason the school not have made a fundraising push to endow the entire program before cutting?
Because Huge's motivation has always been to elevate basketball at all cost. I'm all for a great basketball program but not at all cost.

Fixing up Kaplan, firing Shaver expecting JT3 to jump in the seat, win the NCAAT, then bounce for Vanderbilt was the gameplan. Turns out, the fix up Kaplan part is going according to plan, JT3 said no, we were booted from the CAAT game one, and Vanderbilt went in a different direction.

Regroup, and keep the at all cost philosophy going.

Again, my biggest problem is waiting until September, massive AD staffing with no firings, and the utter lies about turning over every rock. ZERO attempt at saving 7 programs. No public fundraising. No plea to save those programs because they were a burden.

An ultimatum of "these sports need to be endowed to stay around" would've accomplished the same thing though. Still would've let that money be moved to basketball.

And, I think it was clear that everyone (President and BOV) was on board with the way this happened, which is very strange to me. None of them insisted on a real push to raise the funds?
09-07-2020 10:34 PM
Tribal Offline

We're all die-hard fans here.

Raise your hand if anyone contacted you within the last 6 months asking for money to save these programs.

Now, raise your hand if you've been contacted by Tribe Athletics asking for money for anything else within the last four months.

I received several emails and at least 3 letters, with standard donation cards, within the past four months asking for money. Not a word about saving a program.

It's not true that every rock was turned so either Huge lied or David Teel misquoted her. I'm going with Huge lied.

I think Rowe appreciates Huge and I think the BOV appreciates their seats at the table.

By the way, BOV minutes, agendas, etc can be found here. Show me where the BOV discussed the cutting of 7 athletic programs.

https://www.wm.edu/about/administration/.../index.php

(This post was last modified: 09-07-2020 11:06 PM by Tribal.)
09-07-2020 10:46 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

(09-07-2020 10:34 PM)soccerguy315 Wrote:  An ultimatum of "these sports need to be endowed to stay around" would've accomplished the same thing though. Still would've let that money be moved to basketball.

And, I think it was clear that everyone (President and BOV) was on board with the way this happened, which is very strange to me. None of them insisted on a real push to raise the funds?

For swimming and gymnastics, those programs were already mostly self-supporting. The administration/athletic department did not want to have any fundraising efforts because -- heaven forbid -- the funds might actually have been raised. Today I learned that the current endowments will actually be sucked up by the athletics general fund --- making this absolutely nothing more than a money grab.

It is an insidious Catch-22 for these sports: if they (years ago) failed to read the handwriting on the wall and did not build an endowment then they are now on the chopping block to be removed as deadwood. However, if they did prepare endowments (as swimming and gymnastics did) then now they still find themselves on the chopping block so that Huge can steal their endowments. (This talk of "chopping blocks" reminds my History Major self that this is exactly what Henry VIII did to gain control of the estates and holdings of people who fell out of favor with him).
09-07-2020 11:59 PM
Tribe32 Online
All American

Let's see how this played out. Everyone was worried about covid and the upperclassmen weren't back on campus yet. Perfect timing to announce the cuts. Now, Huge hopes that it will blow over, and even if the students want to protest, they will be told they are in violation of the covid policies. Brilliant tactics. .....and I'm 100% sure this was all thought out. Plus no football games where everyone can boo her and Rowe.

The reason why Huge cut these sports is because she doesn't want to have to deal with all of them. It gets rid of four direct reports, but more importantly all of the other departments have 7 fewer teams and 120+ athletes to keep track of. You would think that the department was staffed to manage all of those teams and students. If so, I'd like to see a cut from the AD immediately since all of those staff positions can't be warranted any longer.

The fan base is fatigued by this nut job.
09-08-2020 05:54 AM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

I don't love Huge, nor do I support all of her choices. In fact, many of her choices piss me off. But, reading this message board, she has truly attained George Soros boogie man status. She is manipulating every situation with nefarious goals, all the while twirling her villainous imaginary mustache.
I do think the handling of eliminating the seven sports was poor. Was the end goal always to remove the seven sports? Seems quite likely. It's also quite likely that the number of sports was a burden on the department. I think the biggest sin was a lack of bringing people along with where the athletic department was with these sports. If the AD had hosted open virtual meetings with interested parties in these programs and layed out the dire outlook, she would have generated donations and most likely tamped down the shock and outrage if ultimately goals weren't met. Ddi this happen? Nope, the interested parties were blind sided. If removing those sports was always an end goal, giving the chance to save themselves works against that. I look forward to seeing how Huge resolves this pickle of a situation when the swim department comes up with the money shortfall. My guess is no matter how much they come up with, it won't be enough.
09-08-2020 07:25 AM
Advertisement

zablenoise Online
Heisman

(09-08-2020 07:25 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  I don't love Huge, nor do I support all of her choices. In fact, many of her choices piss me off. But, reading this message board, she has truly attained George Soros boogie man status. She is manipulating every situation with nefarious goals, all the while twirling her villainous imaginary mustache.
I do think the handling of eliminating the seven sports was poor. Was the end goal always to remove the seven sports? Seems quite likely. It's also quite likely that the number of sports was a burden on the department. I think the biggest sin was a lack of bringing people along with where the athletic department was with these sports. If the AD had hosted open virtual meetings with interested parties in these programs and layed out the dire outlook, she would have generated donations and most likely tamped down the shock and outrage if ultimately goals weren't met. Ddi this happen? Nope, the interested parties were blind sided. If removing those sports was always an end goal, giving the chance to save themselves works against that. I look forward to seeing how Huge resolves this pickle of a situation when the swim department comes up with the money shortfall. My guess is no matter how much they come up with, it won't be enough.

I'm of split mind about this. Because you're right, Huge isn't evil, she just makes controversial decisions. But how many times do I have to say "I don't necessarily disagree with the decision, it's just how she went about it." Tony, The Hall, cutting sports, and reorganizing the department all come to mind. It seems pretty clear by this point that Huge isn't somebody who values "bringing people along" or sharing her decision making authority.
09-08-2020 07:44 AM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

Mr. J-

Some friendly and sincere advice.

Since 1976, some of the most influential people in my life have belonged to the W&M swimming and gymnastics communities. This is personal for a lot of people. This is personal for me.

Having said that, as of now, 222 rocks have been overturned, and $486,332 has been found ... by a group of fund-raising amateurs ... put together several days ago.

How about we start using the word “competent” ... and use that word, and “Administrators”, in the same sentence? This is a fiasco.

How about we replace the Athletic Department fund-raisers with the current swim group? Heck, they’re doing it for free!

Of course, that’s not a fair shot at the current Athletic Department fund-raisers, because they were never given the mission that the current swim group has. Kind of says it all, doesn’t it?
09-08-2020 08:06 AM
wanm65 Online
Special Teams

Start a petition.

Get as many minority swim alumni & students to sign.

Send it to BOV, Rowe & Huge.
09-08-2020 09:40 AM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

They’ve already got the petition covered:

https://www.savetribeswimming.com/get-involved

Over 300 people involved in organizational Zoom meeting a few nights ago.

249 rocks turned over .... $532,400 found.

This has the potential to be a humiliation for the school.
09-08-2020 10:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.