Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Western Carolina may add sports
The Cats Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WCU
Western Carolina may add sports
Collegiate Consulting Completes Sports Sponsorship Study for Western Carolina

CULLOWHEE, NC (SEPT. 4, 2020) – Western Carolina University brought on Collegiate Consulting to conduct a sports sponsorship study. The institution, a Southern Conference member since 1976, is exploring the possibility of adding sports programs.

The study includes an analysis of the athletic department’s current budget, financial aid allocation, and competitiveness, as well as program specific figures for men’s wrestling and the two women’s sports explored - women’s lacrosse, and women’s wrestling.

Within the region, there are 19 men’s wrestling teams, 26 women’s lacrosse teams, and nine women’s wrestling teams. The NCAA has recently announced the addition of women’s wrestling as an emerging sport. Within the state of North Carolina, high school men’s wrestling participation is high, while women’s lacrosse continues to grow.

Collegiate Consulting developed a five-year timeline for men’s wrestling and each women’s sport. For men’s wrestling, the starting operating budget is $112,500 with a two-person coaching staff by 2022. The Division I financial aid maximum for men’s wrestling, 9.90 scholarships, would be reached under Collegiate Consulting’s recommendation via a staggered model by 2024. Women’s lacrosse would have a coaching staff size of two and an operating budget of $136,900. Women’s wrestling would have a scholarship cap of 4.0; with a head coach and year one operating budget of $85,000.

An 18-month ramp up schedule was developed starting in 2021-22 with a partial schedule. Western Carolina currently has 16 sports, with men’s wrestling potentially being its eighth men’s program.

About Collegiate Consulting: Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, Collegiate Consulting is a comprehensive solutions-based intercollegiate consulting firm focused on offering athletic departments, conferences and associations a single-entity resource across an extensive platform of services. Since their inception in 2005, Collegiate Consulting has worked with over 550 institutions on projects such as searches like Saint Leo’s, feasibility studies, operational studies and strategic planning.

http://www.collegiateconsulting.com/news...n-carolina
09-04-2020 11:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
RE: Western Carolina may add sports
Hope yall get the mens wrestling team. Be good for the Socon
09-04-2020 12:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(09-04-2020 11:36 AM)The Cats Wrote:  Collegiate Consulting Completes Sports Sponsorship Study for Western Carolina

CULLOWHEE, NC (SEPT. 4, 2020) – Western Carolina University brought on Collegiate Consulting to conduct a sports sponsorship study. The institution, a Southern Conference member since 1976, is exploring the possibility of adding sports programs.

Terrible idea, IMO, just when WCU is starting to gain some increased enrollment. Will just saddle you with more sports that need to be subsidized.

BTW, ECU is closer to Temple University in Philadelphia than it is to WCU.
09-04-2020 12:41 PM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
I wonder how much Collegiate Consulting was pretty paid for their work, if the pandemic adjusted their findings, and since the press release is from the consultant, not the school, I guess WCU isn't making this a pressing matter right now.
09-04-2020 02:05 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Bad idea
09-04-2020 02:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
(09-04-2020 12:41 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-04-2020 11:36 AM)The Cats Wrote:  Collegiate Consulting Completes Sports Sponsorship Study for Western Carolina

Terrible idea, IMO, just when WCU is starting to gain some increased enrollment. Will just saddle you with more sports that need to be subsidized.

Wow. That tells you how big of a state North Carolina is. Two completely different cultures as well.
09-04-2020 05:45 PM
Advertisement

AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
(09-04-2020 05:45 PM)sctvman Wrote:  

Wow. That tells you how big of a state North Carolina is. Two completely different cultures as well.

According to Google maps the shortest driving distance: ECU to WCU - 378 miles, ECU to Temple - 398 miles.
09-04-2020 06:00 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-04-2020 06:00 PM)AZcats Wrote:  

According to Google maps the shortest driving distance: ECU to WCU - 378 miles, ECU to Temple - 398 miles.

The straight-line, or true distance is 327 miles between the two Carolina schools and 323 miles between ECU and Philadelphia.
09-04-2020 08:29 PM
ah59396 Offline
1st String

You’d think they’d prioritize and add plumbing first in Cullowhee.
09-04-2020 10:32 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State

Why is the distance from Temple to ECU relevant to WCU adding sports?
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2020 10:52 PM by Todor.)
09-04-2020 10:51 PM
AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Im in favor of WCU adding sports. A school that size should have a sports program. If things go well, maybe try out football. Rimshot
09-05-2020 04:39 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-04-2020 10:51 PM)Todor Wrote:  

Why is the distance from Temple to ECU relevant to WCU adding sports?

I never said it was, it's a just a trivial tidbit to demonstrate how horizontal NC is, and how far west WCU is.

07-coffee3
09-05-2020 08:14 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Collegiate Consulting is a scam. This is all stuff an AD should figure out.
09-05-2020 10:54 AM
The Cats Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WCU
(09-04-2020 10:32 PM)ah59396 Wrote:  You’d think they’d prioritize and add plumbing first in Cullowhee.

Who needs indoor plumbing? ASU has been without it as long as WCU.
09-05-2020 05:54 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .

Draw a line from South Boston Va to Roxboro to Mebane, to Siler City to Wadesboro and then Airlie Gardens next to Wrightsville Beach. Everything East and North of that line is paternal Chesapeake Tidewater culture. Everything to the south and west is Scots-Irish diaspora Southern.

Another way of putting it is that everything South that Wadesboro/Wrightsville Beach line is defacto South Carolina. Everything west of a line from Avery County to Old Fort to Hendersonville is defacto Tennessee.
09-07-2020 12:35 PM
sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
As a native South Carolinian, you couldn’t be more right. And the Triangle and Charlotte are pretty much their own cultures with so many people from out of town.

Western Carolina is a 104 mile drive from Greenville, but it is in the same television market. Gatlinburg is only 58 miles.

Robbinsville in Graham County is 145 miles from Greenville, 74 to Knoxville. Chattanooga is 18 miles closer (127) than Greenville. Even Williamsburg, KY is closer (142 miles).
09-07-2020 02:24 PM
Advertisement

chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
Western Carolina is also part of North Carolina Promise and offers reduced tuition.

Quote:Thanks to a new program from the state of North Carolina, tuition for all undergraduate students at WCU has been further reduced to $500 per fall and spring semesters for in-state students and $2,500 for out-of-state students.

The State of North Carolina is supplementing this cost by matching dollar for dollar the difference between WCU's previous tuition and the NC Promise Tuition Plan cost so that students pay less while WCU continues to deliver the highest quality education.

https://www.wcu.edu/apply/undergraduate-...e-faq.aspx
09-07-2020 03:42 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(09-07-2020 03:42 PM)chess Wrote:  Western Carolina is also part of North Carolina Promise and offers reduced tuition.

Another university that is part of NC Promise is Elizabeth City State University.

Elizabeth City State University is closer to Madison Square Garden than it is to WCU.

WCU is closer to Florida State University than it is to ECSU.

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2020 06:53 PM by quo vadis.)
09-07-2020 06:00 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
North Carolina used to be governed by what appeared to outsiders as a single Democratic Party but in reality the party was split east and west and would agree to trade the Senate Pro Tem position between east and west. That held from 1898 to 1972 and began to crack with Jessie Helms. Finally by 1984 there was a legitimate Republican party that could win statewide elections. Asheville and Boone are like these two islands in a vast sea of Highland Scot, anti-Secession, anti-government, conservative, very religious Republicans. Some of the places are so Republican that a Democrat on the street might be pointed out like an oddity or three legged dog. Some of the places are so White that they would put North Dakota and western Minnesota to shame. We would function better as two seprate states. Western NC should be part of the Appalachian based state of Franklin that existed informally for a few years based in the Tri-Cities area over mountain.

The same could be said of east and west Pa, north and south Missouri and Indiana, North Florida, etc. When people feel safe in the politics of their state, they are happier.
09-07-2020 08:25 PM
ah59396 Offline
1st String

(09-05-2020 05:54 PM)The Cats Wrote:  
(09-04-2020 10:32 PM)ah59396 Wrote:  You’d think they’d prioritize and add plumbing first in Cullowhee.

Who needs indoor plumbing? ASU has been without it as long as WCU.

Ha! Miss the Old Mountain Jug series. Wish our administrations would work together to still make it happen. Even if it meant coming to Cullowhee occasionally. Cheers!
09-07-2020 09:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.