Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Will you watch college sports if games become inundated with political messaging?
Yes. I will always watch them because I support my school no matter what/love college sports too much
No. I refuse to accept any politics in sports. I use sports as an escape from daily life
No. I've learned to function without sports after cancellations due to COVID
Neutral. TV is on primarily for background noise and if game is on it's fine
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Will you watch CFB and CBB this year if it becomes political?
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
While this may look like a spin room topic, I think it makes more sense to be here.

We've seen how politics has reared its head in the NBA, MLB, Hockey and NASCAR this season. While there can be an argument that it's been going on for awhile now in previous seasons, this year seems to be unprecedented one with the depth and breadth of political messages infused throughout the game day experiences. It looks like the NFL will follow in a similar fashion.

So, do you expect to see similar in the college games?
09-01-2020 06:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
RE: Will you watch CFB and CBB this year if it becomes political?
I still support my school to a point but I have taken a step back from sports overall because of the political narrative being pushed. I have removed myself from all fan boards except this one, dropped my season tickets and used that money to make a direct donation to the school for academics. I will no longer watch any NFL, MLB or NBA games and while I will watch my college team on TV that's the extent of my support going forward.
09-01-2020 08:32 AM
kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
I cancelled my Saints season tickets for this year because of the virus and political things. Players should not go after Drew Brees the way it happened in public, Jenkins and Brees could have a discussion in private.
09-01-2020 08:39 AM
AllCuseConference Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Orange
Im watching my team know matter what. I guess I just don't care.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2020 08:54 AM by AllCuseConference.)
09-01-2020 08:53 AM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
I haven’t watched a second of MLB or NBA. If they take a knee, I turn the channel. I expect to miss most of the NFL too. I hope college players don’t kneel in mass, but if they do, I’ll find something else to enjoy.

I am retired military. I have served with men who gave their lives for this country. I am an American before I am a fan of any team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
09-01-2020 08:56 AM
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
I'm supporting my Tigers no matter what politics be damed. It's a shame that our evil non leader has turned everything into an us versus them for just about anything. This is a new millennium and this generation has decided that the old unsustainable, racist constructs of the last century will not define them and I applaud them. Maybe it's better that some people move on to other things so that sports can adapt to this new future,,,,,and that's all I'll say on this so no need for any trumpers to attack me for my opinion.07-coffee307-coffee307-coffee3
09-01-2020 09:38 AM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
If I want to watch a political circus I’d turn on the news. I want none of it in my sports broadcasts. Just play ball. No virtue signaling. No destroying coaches and players who go against the grain and take a conservative stance (Mike Gundy).
09-01-2020 09:57 AM
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(09-01-2020 08:56 AM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  I haven’t watched a second of MLB or NBA. If they take a knee, I turn the channel. I expect to miss most of the NFL too. I hope college players don’t kneel in mass, but if they do, I’ll find something else to enjoy.

I am retired military. I have served with men who gave their lives for this country. I am an American before I am a fan of any team.

Umm, so you get hot and bothered by athletes exercising their constitutional right to peacefully protest, which is supposedly one of the things that you fought for ( what's the old saying. I may not support what you are protesting for but I'll defend your right to do it). As an American citizen I get more upset by more serious things like having an American president that knows that Putin our sworn enemy is putting bounties on our young soldiers heads yet is suddenly quiet as a church mouse
09-01-2020 10:03 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
I watched my Trail Blazers through the bubble season and the playoff loss to the Lakers. Not sure how much more I will watch now that the Blazers are out. I will definitely watch college football and basketball.

Just mute the television if they're not talking sports and you don't want to hear it. That doesn't necessarily mean that you disagree with the discussion...it's just that sometimes you simply want to cheer for your team and enjoy the distraction of sports.
09-01-2020 10:04 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
In a word ... Yes.

I will cringe at the BLM movement stuff, will flip the channel when players kneel during the anthem, but I will watch anyway.

07-coffee3
09-01-2020 10:18 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
Heck yea, it's pretty easy for me to ignore that stuff. Will me worrying about things one way or the other affect anything? No. So why get worked up? Also betting is fun.
09-01-2020 10:22 AM
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
I'm probably done with pro sports for the calendar year. I'm willing to let more slide with college sports for several reasons I won't go into since this isn't a Spin Room thread.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2020 10:30 AM by EigenEagle.)
09-01-2020 10:30 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I rarely watch professional sports except for the occasional hockey game and golf tournament. That being said, as someone who served as an infantry officer in Germany and Vietnam, I am proud to see athletes take a stand for what they believe in, especially when they take a leadership role in advocating for the ideals for which this country was founded. Whenever I hear the words of the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence and Pledge of Allegiance my thoughts are always "wouldn't it be great if those things were reality instead of just aspirations".

If athletes taking a knee in protest of America's failings help to make progress toward achieving those aspirations, more power to them. And that will include college athletes and coaches as well as pro. I will support universities regardless of whether their teams play or don't play, protest or don't protest. To me, that's what America is, or should be, all about.
09-01-2020 10:42 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Not tuning in if it becomes too political, especially as it relates to BLM. It is a Marxist organization and the goal of Cultural Marxism is the destruction of Western Civilization. These coaches and players really need to become better informed.
09-01-2020 10:59 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(09-01-2020 08:56 AM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  I haven’t watched a second of MLB or NBA. If they take a knee, I turn the channel. I expect to miss most of the NFL too. I hope college players don’t kneel in mass, but if they do, I’ll find something else to enjoy.

Same here and same for MLS. I found a bunch of good podcats, and Docs to watch since March. Not watching the NFL either. I don't miss any of it.
09-01-2020 11:01 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(09-01-2020 10:03 AM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  

Umm, so you get hot and bothered by athletes exercising their constitutional right to peacefully protest, which is supposedly one of the things that you fought for ( what's the old saying. I may not support what you are protesting for but I'll defend your right to do it). As an American citizen I get more upset by more serious things like having an American president that knows that Putin our sworn enemy is putting bounties on our young soldiers heads yet is suddenly quiet as a church mouse

When they are on the field they are at work. If it’s not appropriate to get political in an office building it’s not appropriate in a football stadium.

Why the players do on their own time when they aren’t representing their employer is on them but I reserve the right to not watch them if I disagree with them.
09-01-2020 11:04 AM
Advertisement

CenterSquarEd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Siena
If the young men who play basketball for Siena want me to know anything about their priorities or life experiences before the game begins, who am I to tell them to shut up? They’re entitled to their opinions and I’m entitled to my opinions. I have my season tickets because I want to support them.
09-01-2020 11:15 AM
balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
If y'all don't like all the political talk in sports, just change the talk to religion. I'm thinking along the line of idolatry, and how America has made sports a god in this country. how about God is now using all the hate in this country to tear down that idol. having said all that, now lets ask the question again, Will you watch college sports if games become inundated with political messaging? 04-cheers03-cloud905-stirthepot
09-01-2020 11:31 AM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(09-01-2020 10:03 AM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  

But you want Biden who is in bed with China. A country that is trying to kill US citizens (non-military) daily. The hypocrisy is strong with this one.
Look, you root for Memphis, that's all you had to say. You have nothing going on in TN or whatever backwoods town you live in. You needed to stress your ignorance to anyone.
09-01-2020 11:36 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
I'll watch it and enjoy it. But that's only because I'm fanatical about CFB and CBB. The only other sport I'll watch if it gets political is NFL. I was just getting into the NBA when Stephen Curry and Lebron James announced they wouldn't go to the white house if they won the title. **** the NBA, I don't like it that much to put up with your political statements.
09-01-2020 11:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.