Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CBS: 2020 AAC expert picks
mikeinoki Offline
Gone to Seed

I Root For: JDB
Exclamation CBS: 2020 AAC expert picks
Most overrated and underrated teams, order of finish, bold predictions

Good article, but I'm cutting to the bold predictions:

Dennis Dodd: An AAC team will make the College Football Playoff for the first time.

Chip Patterson: East Carolina's Holton Ahlers is a First Team All-AAC pick at quarterback. Ahlers saw his stock rise in Mike Houston's first year as his first full season as the starter saw him finish as a top-10 player in FBS for total offense. This year, the Greenville, North Carolina, native takes the next step and shines as the top signal caller in the league.

Tom Fornelli: It will be neither Memphis nor Cincinnati but rather SMU squaring off against UCF in the AAC Championship Game. SMU hasn't won a conference title since 1984, and it's not going to win this one either, but it'll get closer than it has at any point since the NCAA death penalty.

Barrett Sallee: Cincinnati and SMU will play in the AAC Championship Game with the winner having a legit shot at the College Football Playoff.

Ben Kercheval: The AAC has always thought of itself as a "power" conference, even though it never received power conference treatment, especially regarding the CFP. That changes in 2020, and I'm calling my shot: The AAC champ gets the No. 4 spot in the field.

David Cobb: A loss in the AAC title game -- its first defeat of the season -- will knock Cincinnati out of the CFP conversation.

Jerry Palm: The AAC will put not one but two teams in the New Year's Six games
08-31-2020 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: CBS: 2020 AAC expert picks
I see they follow internet best practices: Say at least one thing that's 'out there' to get attention and clicks.
08-31-2020 01:23 PM
SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
(08-31-2020 12:55 PM)mikeinoki Wrote:  Most overrated and underrated teams, order of finish, bold predictions

Dennis Dodd: An AAC team will make the College Football Playoff for the first time.

Chip Patterson: East Carolina's Holton Ahlers is a First Team All-AAC pick at quarterback. Ahlers saw his stock rise in Mike Houston's first year as his first full season as the starter saw him finish as a top-10 player in FBS for total offense. This year, the Greenville, North Carolina, native takes the next step and shines as the top signal caller in the league.

Tom Fornelli: It will be neither Memphis nor Cincinnati but rather SMU squaring off against UCF in the AAC Championship Game. SMU hasn't won a conference title since 1984, and it's not going to win this one either, but it'll get closer than it has at any point since the NCAA death penalty.

Barrett Sallee: Cincinnati and SMU will play in the AAC Championship Game with the winner having a legit shot at the College Football Playoff.

Ben Kercheval: The AAC has always thought of itself as a "power" conference, even though it never received power conference treatment, especially regarding the CFP. That changes in 2020, and I'm calling my shot: The AAC champ gets the No. 4 spot in the field.

David Cobb: A loss in the AAC title game -- its first defeat of the season -- will knock Cincinnati out of the CFP conversation.

I like your thinking.
08-31-2020 01:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF Knights
(08-31-2020 12:55 PM)mikeinoki Wrote:  Most overrated and underrated teams, order of finish, bold predictions

[b]Tom Fornelli: It will be neither Memphis nor Cincinnati but rather SMU squaring off against UCF in the AAC Championship Game. SMU hasn't won a conference title since 1984, and it's not going to win this one either, but it'll get closer than it has at any point since the NCAA death penalty.[/b]

In all fairness SMU was in the C-USA Championship Game vs UCF in 2010.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2020 02:03 PM by Once a Knight....)
08-31-2020 02:02 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU

lol Patterson still has us finishing 8th. Very bold of him.
08-31-2020 02:50 PM
Advertisement

STL_Wave Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulane
100% of the writers have UCF, Memphis, and Cincy in their top 4....and 5/7 have SMU in that top 4 as well.

OOC opportunities to build a claim for playoffs:

- Austin Peay (Cincy)
- Army (Cincy)
- Arkansas State (Memphis)
- UTSA (Memphis)
- Texas State (SMU)
- TCU (SMU)
- North Texas (SMU)
- Stephen Austin (SMU)
- FIU (UCF)
- Georgia Tech (UCF)

Other than maybe SMU and by a miracle UCF (if they blow everyone out of the water), I don't see any chance for an AAC road to the playoffs for those 4. SoS bull**** will put 4 SEC teams in before any of them.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2020 03:09 PM by STL_Wave.)
08-31-2020 03:08 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(08-31-2020 03:08 PM)STL_Wave Wrote:  100% of the writers have UCF, Memphis, and Cincy in their top 4....and 5/7 have SMU in that top 4 as well.

- Austin Peay (Cincy)
- Army (Cincy)
- UTSA (Memphis)
- Texas State (SMU)
- TCU (SMU)
- North Texas (SMU)
- Stephen Austin (SMU)
- FIU (UCF)
- Georgia Tech (UCF)

Other than maybe SMU and by a miracle UCF (if they blow everyone out of the water), I don't see any chance for an AAC road to the playoffs for those 4. SoS bull**** will put 4 SEC teams in before any of them.

USF has the only shot with their matchup against ND. They'd have to win out...and so would ND.

None of the other OOC games above would do it. I don't care if GT or TCU win their respective conferences.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2020 03:15 PM by CoastalJuan.)
08-31-2020 03:14 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis

This sounds like they were sitting around drinking and trying to make each other laugh.
08-31-2020 03:16 PM
SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs

Would be great, especially if it was at Ford.
08-31-2020 03:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mikeinoki Offline
Gone to Seed

I Root For: JDB
(08-31-2020 02:50 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  lol Patterson still has us finishing 8th. Very bold of him.

If we finish 8th, Holton won't be First Team.
See: Jayden Gardner
08-31-2020 03:49 PM
SMUleopold Offline
1st String

I Root For: Guess, genius..
(08-31-2020 12:55 PM)mikeinoki Wrote:  [url=https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2020-aac-expert-

This is going to be difficult considering they play each other in the regular season, which means at least one team will have a regular season loss. It will absolutely require an undefeated AAC champ to get to the CFP and frankly it would help to have an undefeated team to beat in the CG in order for that win to mean something to the CFP selection committee.

As such, I can see the winner of, say, an UCF-SMU AAC championship game having a shot if both teams are undefeated, because they don't play each other in the regular season but there isn't going to be a 1-loss AAC champ in the CFP.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2020 04:41 PM by SMUleopold.)
08-31-2020 04:39 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
(08-31-2020 03:08 PM)STL_Wave Wrote:  Other than maybe SMU and by a miracle UCF (if they blow everyone out of the water), I don't see any chance for an AAC road to the playoffs for those 4. SoS bull**** will put 4 SEC teams in before any of them.

Forgot the biggest part of the equation...all the major p5 have 1 or no ooc (cant padd their records), aswell increased the number of conference game (have to play everyone)..
the chances of the 2nd place team from any of the p5 having 3 or more losses are extremely high

an undefeated aac team will have a great shoot on the fact that the losses will pile up for the p5 teams more than usual
08-31-2020 04:39 PM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
(08-31-2020 03:14 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  
(08-31-2020 03:08 PM)STL_Wave Wrote:  100% of the writers have UCF, Memphis, and Cincy in their top 4....and 5/7 have SMU in that top 4 as well.

- Austin Peay (Cincy)
- Army (Cincy)
- UTSA (Memphis)
- Texas State (SMU)
- TCU (SMU)
- North Texas (SMU)
- Stephen Austin (SMU)
- FIU (UCF)
- Georgia Tech (UCF)

USF has the only shot with their matchup against ND. They'd have to win out...and so would ND.

None of the other OOC games above would do it. I don't care if GT or TCU win their respective conferences.

I think OSU might do it for Tulsa if we won out and they did well in the B12. OK St. is #11 among teams still playing and and ND is #8 (AP Poll). Tulsa also has an away matchup with a decent Arkansas State team.
08-31-2020 04:49 PM
Advertisement

STL_Wave Offline
1st String

(08-31-2020 04:49 PM)invisiblehand Wrote:  

- Austin Peay (Cincy)
- Army (Cincy)
- UTSA (Memphis)
- Texas State (SMU)
- TCU (SMU)
- North Texas (SMU)
- Stephen Austin (SMU)
- FIU (UCF)
- Georgia Tech (UCF)

I think OSU might do it for Tulsa if we won out and they did well in the B12. OK St. is #11 among teams still playing and and ND is #8 (AP Poll). Tulsa also has an away matchup with a decent Arkansas State team.

An undefeated Tulsa with OkSt, UCF Cincy, Navy, Houston wins....a USF win over ND would seal the deal
08-31-2020 05:00 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

(08-31-2020 04:39 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(08-31-2020 03:08 PM)STL_Wave Wrote:  Other than maybe SMU and by a miracle UCF (if they blow everyone out of the water), I don't see any chance for an AAC road to the playoffs for those 4. SoS bull**** will put 4 SEC teams in before any of them.

Forgot the biggest part of the equation...all the major p5 have 1 or no ooc (cant padd their records), aswell increased the number of conference game (have to play everyone)..
the chances of the 2nd place team from any of the p5 having 3 or more losses are extremely high

an undefeated aac team will have a great shoot on the fact that the losses will pile up for the p5 teams more than usual

I think the bottom end P5 teams are going to get a rude wakeup call if this season plays through. 2-8 kills any "power" FB brand. Bad teams are going to look atrocious out there ROFL.
08-31-2020 05:01 PM
NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

I Root For: ECU & the AAC

I can see what David Cobb says happens possibly, not necessarily Cincy though, any AAC team.

But really I don’t think anybody gets a shot even if they go undefeated.
08-31-2020 07:51 PM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS

- Austin Peay (Cincy)
- Army (Cincy)
- UTSA (Memphis)
- Texas State (SMU)
- TCU (SMU)
- North Texas (SMU)
- Stephen Austin (SMU)
- FIU (UCF)
- Georgia Tech (UCF)

You might be 100% correct.
08-31-2020 09:49 PM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(08-31-2020 12:55 PM)mikeinoki Wrote:  Jerry Palm: The AAC will put not one but two teams in the New Year's Six games

That's not happening. I do think an undefeated AAC team will make the CFP. It's just a question of whether or not an AAC team goes undefeated.
09-01-2020 10:17 AM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
I'd say this is actually solid analysis on Tulsa. The pros and cons. We don't get that in the national media often. Props to Kercheval.

Tulsa: You are what your record says it is, right? Tell that to Tulsa. The Golden Hurricane went 4-8 last year but came within seven points -- combined -- of beating SMU and Memphis while also playing Cincinnati tight. That's three of the AAC's top four programs heading into 2020. It's been a minute since Tulsa was good -- it's last winning season was in 2016 when it went 10-3 -- but Philip Montgomery's program has quietly been rebuilding over the past few years. And while there hasn't been much to show for it, I don't believe this team is all that far from turning a corner. The offense has enough coming back to be formidable, especially in the run game, but the defense needs to take a step forward. Unfortunately, there's no warm-up. The Golden Hurricane really could start 0-4 after facing Oklahoma State, Arkansas State, UCF and Cincinnati with the first three on the road. But the slate eases up from there and the Nov. 14 home game against SMU is a good time to finally get over the hump. -- Kercheval
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2020 11:01 AM by Hurricane Drummer.)
09-01-2020 11:01 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(08-31-2020 05:00 PM)STL_Wave Wrote:  
(08-31-2020 04:49 PM)invisiblehand Wrote:  

- Austin Peay (Cincy)
- Army (Cincy)
- UTSA (Memphis)
- Texas State (SMU)
- TCU (SMU)
- North Texas (SMU)
- Stephen Austin (SMU)
- FIU (UCF)
- Georgia Tech (UCF)

An undefeated Tulsa with OkSt, UCF Cincy, Navy, Houston wins....a USF win over ND would seal the deal

I guess I was saying that ND has a much better chance of winning the ACC than OSU has of winning the Big12. Just a hunch.
09-01-2020 11:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.