Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

O/T Start of the 2020/21 MAC CFB season?
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
O/T Start of the 2020/21 MAC CFB season?
Tonight's headline, prime time game, on ESPN is Austin Peay vs. Central Arkansas, two FCS teams.

I know it feels strange.

The headline game Thursday is So Alabama and Southern Mississippi.

Yes, that it the headline Thursday night FBS game.

Prime time Saturday is Arkansas State vs. Memphis.

And Monday, finally a game of bigger names, BYU vs. Navy.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2020 07:23 AM by emu steve.)
08-29-2020 09:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

RE: O/T Today is the start of the 2020/21 CFB season
But that isn't as strange as this:

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status...55905?s=20
08-29-2020 09:31 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Steve I still think fall football could be played without many long lasting complications. That said, I support the conferences decision not to do so. If one does a true risk-reward analysis, the risks and costs associated with playing football were simply too huge to do so at this time. As a Michigan taxpayer, I have little zest for assuming the liability costs of any of the five FBS schools in my state encountering litigious claims from playing football too soon.
08-29-2020 06:59 PM
fanfrompowellspub Offline
Special Teams

maybe that is a problem that needs to be discussed. liability limits.
08-29-2020 07:46 PM
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

Yes Fan that would be a good thing but I think the outcry would be too huge if a player or two became seriously debilitated or died from contracting Covid 19 playing football at a PUBLIC institution, signed release waiver or not.

There were two watershed events that precipitated the Big Ten and Pac 12 decisions to postpone although they had just released schedules. One, their players sent the conferences a list of demands as to health protocols, that presages a legal claim if there was any deviation from such. Two, the little ole MAC conference that neighbors the Big Ten, made the decision not to play fall football. That left the University Presidents in an indefensible position legally should a health catastrophe occur.

I do see a possibility of the Big Ten using the SEC as a guinea pig and actually starting a season later this fall should the SEC have no adverse issues playing. They are talking domed stadiums like Ford Field but I question whether fans will be allowed at indoor venues. A TV only game could probably be played at most of their indoor practice facilities. The MAC, due to their diminished television revenue and lack of NFL candidates most likely stays on their spring schedule.
08-30-2020 10:00 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

(08-30-2020 10:00 AM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  Yes Fan that would be a good thing but I think the outcry would be too huge if a player or two became seriously debilitated or died from contracting Covid 19 playing football at a PUBLIC institution, signed release waiver or not.

There were two watershed events that precipitated the Big Ten and Pac 12 decisions to postpone although they had just released schedules. One, their players sent the conferences a list of demands as to health protocols, that presages a legal claim if there was any deviation from such. Two, the little ole MAC conference that neighbors the Big Ten, made the decision not to play fall football. That left the University Presidents in an indefensible position legally should a health catastrophe occur.

I do see a possibility of the Big Ten using the SEC as a guinea pig and actually starting a season later this fall should the SEC have no adverse issues playing. They are talking domed stadiums like Ford Field but I question whether fans will be allowed at indoor venues. A TV only game could probably be played at most of their indoor practice facilities. The MAC, due to their diminished television revenue and lack of NFL candidates most likely stays on their spring schedule.

I have only one point which needs to be made.

I don't know if most MAC IPFs are big enough to have a Div I FB game; nevertheless, there is no way to do television from there. Might not be enough for media and radio.
08-30-2020 11:54 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(08-30-2020 11:54 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(08-30-2020 10:00 AM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  Yes Fan that would be a good thing but I think the outcry would be too huge if a player or two became seriously debilitated or died from contracting Covid 19 playing football at a PUBLIC institution, signed release waiver or not.

I have only one point which needs to be made.

I don't know if most MAC IPFs are big enough to have a Div I FB game; nevertheless, there is no way to do television from there. Might not be enough for media and radio.

Steve, I was referencing the Big Ten's availability and not the MAC to televise games from practice facilities. I was using economics as my rationale for doing so but your post woke me up. Ford Field and Lucas Oil stadium can be expensive venues to hold games but since March both stadiums have been shuttered. Any amount of incremental revenue for them should be welcomed, forget about my idea televising from practice facilities.
08-30-2020 05:46 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

Okay, the NCAA is figuring out the start of the spring season for B1G, MAC, MWC, Pac-12, etc.

This is a good read.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...idle-teams
09-03-2020 12:24 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

No Spring football, Please!!!! How incredibly rinky dink that would be.
09-03-2020 02:14 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

09-03-2020 07:37 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
09-04-2020 04:08 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

RE: O/T Start of the 2020/21 MAC CFB season?
Who would have thunk that the feature game today for the ESPN's early afternoon window would be Marshall vs. E. Ky. Not even two FBS teams, not let even one P5 school.

This is weird, ladies and gentlemen.
09-05-2020 09:04 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

(09-05-2020 09:04 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Who would have thunk that the feature game today for the ESPN's early afternoon window would be Marshall vs. E. Ky. Not even two FBS teams, not let even one P5 school.

This is weird, ladies and gentlemen.

First two games are in the books.

Marshall 59 - 0 over E. KY and Army 42 - 0 over M. Tenn. State.

That is a combined 101 - 0.
09-05-2020 04:27 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

(09-05-2020 04:27 PM)emu steve Wrote:  First two games are in the books.

Marshall 59 - 0 over E. KY and Army 42 - 0 over M. Tenn. State.

That is a combined 101 - 0.

Last night's score: BYU 55 - Navy 3.

There's only been one highly competitive FBS game thus far (small sample). But unfortunately, I worry we'll see a lot of that this fall season... Largely due to an uneven and abbreviated summer camp.
09-08-2020 11:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.