Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

DB's school is the first in Texas ...
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
DB's school is the first in Texas ...
... to cancel football for fall 2020 AND spring 2021.

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/20...-21-season

Since the NCAA cancelled the D-II championships, he doesn't see any reason to play football in spring, as some schools are proposing. Better to rest up and practice for the Fall 2021 season.
08-28-2020 07:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
RE: DB's school is the first in Texas ...
11-3!
08-29-2020 12:10 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
Well, he's consistent as he didn't see any reason for us to play football when he was here, either.
09-02-2020 08:43 PM
75src Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
Baliff has a good shot to win the D2 championship in 2021.
09-03-2020 02:23 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(09-02-2020 08:43 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  Well, he's consistent as he didn't see any reason for us to play football when he was here, either.

Now that's just mean. Funny, but mean.

He's gone and we have Coach AnybodyButBailiff,as you wanted, be magnanimous.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2020 09:10 AM by OptimisticOwl.)
09-03-2020 08:57 AM
07owl Offline
All American

(09-02-2020 08:43 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  Well, he's consistent as he didn't see any reason for us to play football when he was here, either.

This was just pre-season for 2021
09-03-2020 10:07 AM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

05-deadhorse
09-03-2020 10:26 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

We cancelled preseason in 2020. Apparently some people see them as different from the conference games.

Personally I would have been much happier playing Army and UH.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2020 10:29 AM by OptimisticOwl.)
09-03-2020 10:27 AM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
(09-03-2020 10:27 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Personally I would have been much happier playing Army and UH.

But, but, but....

Rice is still hoping to reschedule those games...
09-03-2020 10:42 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(09-03-2020 10:42 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(09-03-2020 10:27 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Personally I would have been much happier playing Army and UH.

But, but, but....

Rice is still hoping to reschedule those games...

Maybe in the Sawdust Bowl.
09-03-2020 11:05 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

Canceling games helps keep our winning streak alive.
09-03-2020 03:38 PM
Advertisement

GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

(09-03-2020 08:57 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

He's gone and we have Coach AnybodyButBailiff,as yousome wanted, be magnanimous.

Well, that seems to be a schumer-esque mischaracterization. While many wanted him gone long before he finally was, most wanted anything but "AnybodyBut". Many wanted a certain former wide-receiver, and other names were mentioned. What we got seemed a bit closer to a crony-esque hire than many were comfortable with, but most were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. With the current situation, not sure how that affects the timeline/projections or the overall status of the program. A forward-looking athletic dept would seem to want to view it as a rare opportunity to leap the program forward, but not sure the admin really wants to get behind that these days. I guess we'll have to see how this season and the future possible split/realignments shake out, but once again we don't seem remotely ready for potential call-up opportunities that might arise for a few programs, and that is disappointing and directly related to how we more or less squandered those eleven long years.

As to my original comment above, most all were on record as viewing the previous regime as in the range of occasionally mediocre to grossly under-prepared and downwardly spiraling into oblivion, while often playing a style of football that was often almost unwatchable. If oblivion and unwatchable is your definition of "AnythingBut", then I suppose most wanted anything but oblivion and unwatchable for our program. Since coaches like Bear Bryant don't come around too often, we have to settle for whatever we can get these days and let other schools find those diamonds in the rough while we watch.
09-03-2020 07:02 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(09-03-2020 07:02 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  
(09-03-2020 08:57 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

He's gone and we have Coach AnybodyButBailiff,as yousome wanted, be magnanimous.

Well, that seems to be a schumer-esque mischaracterization. While many wanted him gone long before he finally was, most wanted anything but "AnybodyBut". Many wanted a certain former wide-receiver, and other names were mentioned. What we got seemed a bit closer to a crony-esque hire than many were comfortable with, but most were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. With the current situation, not sure how that affects the timeline/projections or the overall status of the program. A forward-looking athletic dept would seem to want to view it as a rare opportunity to leap the program forward, but not sure the admin really wants to get behind that these days. I guess we'll have to see how this season and the future possible split/realignments shake out, but once again we don't seem remotely ready for potential call-up opportunities that might arise for a few programs, and that is disappointing and directly related to how we more or less squandered those eleven long years.

As to my original comment above, most all were on record as viewing the previous regime as in the range of occasionally mediocre to grossly under-prepared and downwardly spiraling into oblivion, while often playing a style of football that was often almost unwatchable. If oblivion and unwatchable is your definition of "AnythingBut", then I suppose most wanted anything but oblivion and unwatchable for our program. Since coaches like Bear Bryant don't come around too often, we have to settle for whatever we can get these days and let other schools find those diamonds in the rough while we watch.

Nah, can't wash your hands now. "most all on record" were calling for Anybody But Bailiff in every thread until it became a joke. Well, we got him. We may get another 3 or 4 anybodies before we fold.

David, I think, did about as well as he could have with the situation (2 10 win teams, 1 conference championship, and several bowls), and IMO proved that nobody can win at Rice without us completely sacrificing our academic standards. The current anybody is well on the way to proving it again. I don't want our team to be full of pre-NFL majors, like most P5s. I am proud of our student-athletes.

True, David did fade some in the last few years. And he was inconsistent, never quite cresting the mountain to sustained achievement. Certainly not the Messiah we longed for. And still long for.Overall though, I think he did OK - occasionally better than OK. I am very impressed with the patience our fan base is showing for our 4 win coach. Maybe next year he will be a 6 win coach or better. I wish him luck.

Well, he is gone now, making more fun of him is like tossing brickbats at LBJ. Or John Heisman. As I do for all (well, almost all) former Owls,including transfers, I wish him well.

Thus the 05-deadhorse

I will be back when somebody gets us another 10 win season (so I am cutting him some slack - just one 10 win season will do).
09-03-2020 07:45 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

(09-03-2020 07:45 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  "most all on record" were calling for Anybody But Bailiff in every thread until it became a joke. Well, we got him. We may get another 3 or 4 anybodies before we fold.

David, I think, did about as well as he could have with the situation (2 10 win teams, 1 conference championship, and several bowls), and IMO proved that nobody can win at Rice without us completely sacrificing our academic standards. The current anybody is well on the way to proving it again. I don't want our team to be full of pre-NFL majors, like most P5s. I am proud of our student-athletes.

True, David did fade some in the last few years. And he was inconsistent, never quite cresting the mountain to sustained achievement. Certainly not the Messiah we longed for. And still long for.Overall though, I think he did OK - occasionally better than OK. I am very impressed with the patience our fan base is showing for our 4 win coach. Maybe next year he will be a 6 win coach or better. I wish him luck.

Well, he is gone now, making more fun of him is like tossing brickbats at LBJ. Or John Heisman. As I do for all (well, almost all) former Owls,including transfers, I wish him well.

Thus the 05-deadhorse

I will be back when somebody gets us another 10 win season (so I am cutting him some slack - just one 10 win season will do).

I get that you worship the guy for some odd reason. Many did not. We can disagree. I will say you didn't seem to be having much fun in the upper tier watching our "well-coached" guys get blown out in historically record embarrassment and freezing temps with cowbells-a-rangin'.

I also don't agree with the defeatist mantra of 'no one can win here.' I simply feel there are ways to do that, and do it consistently, especially in CUSA where we find ourselves now. The previous coach on the occasions he won seemed to win in spite of himself, not because of himself. We need a series of coaches who can win because they are good coaches, not "nice guys." The last guy definitely didn't seem to fit that mold, as Sir Charles said, he was 'turrible', but remember, we hired him not because he was a good coach, but because we were butt-hurt from why we were in the market for a coach in the first place, and we blinked. Is the current guy an odd extension of that butt-hurt or something that might take us beyond that? With the current situation, it's really hard to tell. When Hat left, he didn't leave a bare cupboard. Neither did Todd, and he started some real actual momentum in many ways, despite his flaws. We let the last bozo destroy the program down to where just building a ground floor was going to take way longer. Now, with virus-mania, who knows what the landscape will really be for a while? Our timing, as per usual, is not optimal, to say the least. Maybe if we'd started several years earlier instead of waiting 11.

As for LBJ, what a loser whose mistakes are still hurting poor people today. The parallels to our program are a tad eerie, since you brought it up.
09-03-2020 08:49 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(09-03-2020 07:45 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  David, I think, did about as well as he could have with the situation (2 10 win teams, 1 conference championship, and several bowls)...

I wish David every success at Commerce. Wonderful fellow, "got" a lot about Rice, but not how to win football games consistently.

He also got us 2 seasons with 10 or more losses, 2 seasons with 9 losses, and 2 seasons with 8 losses. And the last 2 (after we built the EZF that was going to be the key to success), he lost 9 and 11. I still remember what a friend who coached against him in the Southland said about him, "His teams play hard for him, but they are sloppy as hell." Yep.

When he was good, he was very, very good, but when he was bad he was horrid.

My concern about him at Texas State was that he didn't sustain and maintain, and that pattern continued at Rice. It was a roller coaster ride. I really don't understand how a guy who was a defensive coach could have teams that were so bad on defense, year in and year out, for so long. He had two corners who played on Sundays, and our pass defense still sucked.

I don't think Bloomgren is the answer either. I just don't think he can recruit the people he needs to run his system. I felt the same about Bailiff. But like I was with Bailiff, I'm willing for him to prove me wrong. Bailiff never did.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2020 11:14 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
09-03-2020 11:07 PM
InterestedX Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Oxford
(09-03-2020 08:49 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  Neither did Todd, and he started some real actual momentum in many ways, despite his flaws.

John Wayne Gacy was on his way to being a pretty good clown, despite his flaws.
09-03-2020 11:26 PM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(09-03-2020 08:49 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  
(09-03-2020 07:45 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  "most all on record" were calling for Anybody But Bailiff in every thread until it became a joke. Well, we got him. We may get another 3 or 4 anybodies before we fold.

Thus the 05-deadhorse

I get that you worship the guy for some odd reason. Many did not. We can disagree. I will say you didn't seem to be having much fun in the upper tier watching our "well-coached" guys get blown out in historically record embarrassment and freezing temps with cowbells-a-rangin'.

I also don't agree with the defeatist mantra of 'no one can win here.' I simply feel there are ways to do that, and do it consistently, especially in CUSA where we find ourselves now. The previous coach on the occasions he won seemed to win in spite of himself, not because of himself. We need a series of coaches who can win because they are good coaches, not "nice guys." The last guy definitely didn't seem to fit that mold, as Sir Charles said, he was 'turrible', but remember, we hired him not because he was a good coach, but because we were butt-hurt from why we were in the market for a coach in the first place, and we blinked. Is the current guy an odd extension of that butt-hurt or something that might take us beyond that? With the current situation, it's really hard to tell. When Hat left, he didn't leave a bare cupboard. Neither did Todd, and he started some real actual momentum in many ways, despite his flaws. We let the last bozo destroy the program down to where just building a ground floor was going to take way longer. Now, with virus-mania, who knows what the landscape will really be for a while? Our timing, as per usual, is not optimal, to say the least. Maybe if we'd started several years earlier instead of waiting 11.

As for LBJ, what a loser whose mistakes are still hurting poor people today. The parallels to our program are a tad eerie, since you brought it up.

Worship? If you are going to that crap, we are done. All I want is fairness, and apparently neither DB nor I can get that from you. Go wallow in your hate.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2020 12:04 AM by OptimisticOwl.)
09-04-2020 12:04 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(09-03-2020 08:49 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  

Thus the 05-deadhorse

Worship? If you are going to that crap, we are done. All I want is fairness, and apparently neither DB nor I can get that from you.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2020 12:05 AM by OptimisticOwl.)
09-04-2020 12:04 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(09-03-2020 11:07 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(09-03-2020 07:45 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  David, I think, did about as well as he could have with the situation (2 10 win teams, 1 conference championship, and several bowls)...

I wish David every success at Commerce. Wonderful fellow, "got" a lot about Rice, but not how to win football games consistently.

He also got us 2 seasons with 10 or more losses, 2 seasons with 9 losses, and 2 seasons with 8 losses. And the last 2 (after we built the EZF that was going to be the key to success), he lost 9 and 11. I still remember what a friend who coached against him in the Southland said about him, "His teams play hard for him, but they are sloppy as hell." Yep.

When he was good, he was very, very good, but when he was bad he was horrid.

My concern about him at Texas State was that he didn't sustain and maintain, and that pattern continued at Rice. It was a roller coaster ride. I really don't understand how a guy who was a defensive coach could have teams that were so bad on defense, year in and year out, for so long. He had two corners who played on Sundays, and our pass defense still sucked.

I don't think Bloomgren is the answer either. I just don't think he can recruit the people he needs to run his system. I felt the same about Bailiff. But like I was with Bailiff, I'm willing for him to prove me wrong. Bailiff never did.

I don't think Bloom is the answer, but I keep hoping. Just when I am about to give up on him, he wins 3 games. I don't call the shots on coaches, so as long as he is here, I want the best for him and from him.

David wasn't the answer, but he came closer than many others. He gave us some highs - winning the CC against Marshal for instance,and the Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth, and some lows too. For a 50 year plus fan, it was nice to have some highs - hadn't had very many of those. I was ready to move on, but not to just anybody.

He is gone. History. I just see no reason to keep ragging on him. Good luck to him in his new endeavor. It cannot hurt Rice if he succeeds there, so there is no civilized reason to wish him badly.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2020 12:14 AM by OptimisticOwl.)
09-04-2020 12:11 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I always cheer for whoever is at Rice to do well, and I also support the ones who were good people when they leave. Fred and David are two of the good ones, Todd is not although he did some good things. As I've stated before, I'm glad he was here for 12 months, and equally glad he didn't stay 13.

I don't think winning one or 3 games here or there proves anything. I'm looking for trends, and those trends have to get somewhere in the 6 to 8 wins per year range before they amount to much with me. That's one problem I have with the signature wins concept. My freshman year we beat Texas in Austin and my sophomore year we beat LSU. Those would both be signature wins today, except that both those Rice teams finished 2-8, so those wins didn't really establish anything.

I don't think Bloomgren is a bad person, but I just don't think his recipe for winning will work at Rice. Pretty much same as David. I like Bloomgren's emphases on defense and special teams, two areas that David neglected, but I just don't see how we will ever recruit the people we need to run his offense.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2020 01:09 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
09-04-2020 01:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.