Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Ten exploring domes for winter season
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Big Ten exploring domes for winter season
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...ll-season/

Quote:Potential sites include Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, where the conference currently holds its annual conference championship game. Detroit's Ford Field, Minneapolis' U.S. Bank Stadium and St. Louis' The Dome at America's Center are reportedly also being considered, as is Syracuse's dome. While not going into, Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith confirmed to the Dispatch that the Big Ten is considering those sites "and others."

As far as what those other sites might be, the only other domed stadiums within the Big Ten's geographic footprint are Miller Park in Milwaukee, Northern Iowa's UNI-Dome and Northern Michigan's Superior Dome.

What a Big Ten winter Saturday would look like:

Carrier Dome (Syracuse, NY) -- Rutgers vs Maryland

Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis, IN) -- Purdue vs Indiana

Ford Field (Detroit, MI) -- Ohio St vs Penn St

Superior Dome (Marquette, MI) -- Michigan vs Michigan St

US Bank Stadium (Minneapolis, MN) -- Wisconsin vs Minnesota

UNI Dome (Cedar Falls, IA) -- Nebraska vs Iowa

The Dome (St. Louis, MO) -- Northwestern vs Illinois
08-26-2020 04:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Big Ten exploring domes for winter season
Here is the Superior Dome on the shores of Lake Superior in Michigan's Upper Peninsula the Big Ten could be playing games in:

[Image: Dome.jpg]

[Image: dome-external.jpg]

[Image: 8a503196c80e2780343da8dc91205726.jpg]
08-26-2020 04:36 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I’d prefer it if commissioner Warren would remove his head from his rectal cavity and announce the Big Ten is playing a fall season.
08-26-2020 04:54 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
Rutgers and MD do not need domes to play home games. What they need is a home team worth watching in person.
08-26-2020 04:55 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I actually thought the B1G would look at doing something like this for weather purposes. With students being sent home before Thanksgiving the players would not be exposed to the student body while on campus.
08-26-2020 04:56 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(08-26-2020 04:56 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  I actually thought the B1G would look at doing something like this for weather purposes. With students being sent home before Thanksgiving the players would not be exposed to the student body while on campus.

Sounds like the USFL
08-26-2020 04:58 PM
Advertisement

DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
The Carrier Dome could be in use for basketball . But Rutgers could play in Atlantic City.

[Image: 018134.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020 05:15 PM by DFW HOYA.)
08-26-2020 05:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
Why would Syracuse allow another conference to use its on campus facilities? Sure if the Big Ten pays them enough $ but I can't see the ACC being happy about it. Other Philadelphia area schools play at the Palestra but none of the conferences directly compete with the Ivy League. I can clearly see the Big Ten playing a game at Syracuse being a conflict of interest to the ACC, a direct competitor.
08-26-2020 05:24 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(08-26-2020 04:58 PM)Statefan Wrote:  
(08-26-2020 04:56 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  I actually thought the B1G would look at doing something like this for weather purposes. With students being sent home before Thanksgiving the players would not be exposed to the student body while on campus.

Sounds like the USFL

But they would start sooner which I think starting in December or January is much better than starting in February if you're going to try to play 10 games (I think 8 or 9 is more likely). And having all the games at two locations with the possibility of having fans is very doable.
08-26-2020 05:25 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

Yeah, Syracuse BB means no way the Carrier Dome is used.

So the Big Ten will have 6 sites each Saturday, with 2 teams taking a bye:
- Superior Dome
- Detroit
- Indy
- St Louis
- Cedar Falls
- Minneapolis
08-26-2020 05:51 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
I would think that Rutgers, MD and PSU can all play in outdoor NFL stadiums. The NFL can play games in January because the stadiums and fields are built for it. So those 3 can just play their home games in the following NFL stadiums.

Rutgers - New Jersey Meadowlands
MD - Washington FedEX field
PSU - Philly's The Linc

Mich and MSU would of course play at Ford Field. No way they would play at some small dome 500 miles away when Ford field is available.

OSU, Purdue, Indy, and NW can all play at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Minny and Wisc can both play at US Bank stadium.

Iowa can play at the UNI-Dome

ILL can play at St. Louis Dome or Lucas Oil Stadium.

Neb can play at Arrowhead stadium.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020 06:46 PM by goofus.)
08-26-2020 06:37 PM
Advertisement

Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
Are Fargo and Grand Forks in Big Ten territory? I hear Rochester and Binghamton have indoor facilities, though perhaps not for football?

(08-26-2020 05:51 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Yeah, Syracuse BB means no way the Carrier Dome is used.

So the Big Ten will have 6 sites each Saturday, with 2 teams taking a bye:
- Superior Dome
- Detroit
- Indy
- St Louis
- Cedar Falls
- Minneapolis

Who gets home games where?
Superior (Wisconsin) Miller Park?
Detroit (Michigan, MSU)
Indy (Indiana, Purdue)
St Louis (Illinois, N'western)
Cedar Falls (Iowa, Nebraska)
Minneapolis (Minnesota)
Ohio State?
Penn State? (Syracuse?)
Rutgers?
Maryland? (no dome?)
08-26-2020 06:41 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(08-26-2020 06:37 PM)goofus Wrote:  I would think that Rutgers, MD and PSU can all play in outdoor NFL stadiums. The NFL can play games in January because the stadiums nd fields are built for it. So those 3 can just play their home games in the following NFL stadiums.

PSU - Philly's The Linc

Mich and MSU would of course play at Ford Field. No way they would play at some small dome miles away when Ford field is available.

ILL can play at St. Louis Dome.

The purpose of playing in a dome stadium is to avoid potential weather issues, otherwise those three schools could just play at the own stadium.
08-26-2020 06:43 PM
goofus Offline
All American

(08-26-2020 06:43 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(08-26-2020 06:37 PM)goofus Wrote:  I would think that Rutgers, MD and PSU can all play in outdoor NFL stadiums. The NFL can play games in January because the stadiums nd fields are built for it. So those 3 can just play their home games in the following NFL stadiums.

PSU - Philly's The Linc

Mich and MSU would of course play at Ford Field. No way they would play at some small dome miles away when Ford field is available.

ILL can play at St. Louis Dome.

The purpose of playing in a dome stadium is to avoid potential weather issues, otherwise those three schools could just play at the own stadium.

But outdoor NFL fields are required to have heaters built under the field. Most college fields do not have heaters becuase usually they are done by Thanksgiving. Without those heaters, teams are playing a frozen sheet of ice and/or a muddy mess. Its too much of a safety issue to play on field without heaters.

Also keep in mind I don't expect a whole lot of fans to show up no matter where they play. Might as well play somewhere safe.
08-26-2020 06:52 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
Obviously one thing they can do is to play a double header at a stadium. Two double headers and they can play a full conference round in five domes. If they play with one bye per team, with byes in schedule weeks 3-9, the first byes would be early enough to still want domes, and they could fit a full round with two teams with byes into three domes.

It wouldn't be the normal "broadcast" second afternoon game, of course, since the noon kickoff games are sometimes still in progress when those kick off, but rather noon kickoff and a second kickoff sometime between the normal "late afternoon" and "evening" game kickoff.
08-26-2020 06:56 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
So playing in a dome in January is safer than playing outdoors in September?
08-26-2020 07:12 PM
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

(08-26-2020 07:12 PM)TripleA Wrote:  So playing in a dome in January is safer than playing outdoors in September?

Lol, well if you put it that way, the whole plan does seem kind of dumb, doesn't it?

Do they really expect numbers to be that much better in January? If they couldn't play in September when the weather is nice, why would they play in the winter when the weather sucks?
08-26-2020 08:06 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(08-26-2020 08:06 PM)goofus Wrote:  
(08-26-2020 07:12 PM)TripleA Wrote:  So playing in a dome in January is safer than playing outdoors in September?

Lol, well if you put it that way, the whole plan does seem kind of dumb, doesn't it?

Do they really expect numbers to be that much better in January? If they couldn't play in September when the weather is nice, why would they play in the winter when the weather sucks?

If you want to take the shortsighted sarcastic point of view but you know full well this has nothing to do with weather. We all know it would be better and safer for the athletes if students were not on campus. Well the students will not be on campus after Thanksgiving so yeah it is safer to play later in the year or early next year with no students on campus.

And if you can play these games in dome stadium during the winter/early Spring then why not do it? I expect the doom and gloom folks against Winter/Spring football to hope it is not successful....lol.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020 08:17 PM by HiddenDragon.)
08-26-2020 08:16 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
Smoke screen to settle the natives, boosters, fans, and 6 up start universities trying to play in the fall. The dome idea will be put to rest after the bowl season when the remaining P5 conferences crown the National Champion minus Ohio State in the middle of the cold and flue season in January. 05-stirthepot 05-stirthepot 05-stirthepot 04-jawdrop 04-jawdrop 04-jawdrop 04-cheers 03-shhhh 03-shhhh 03-shhhh
08-26-2020 09:36 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(08-26-2020 09:36 PM)panite Wrote:  flue

Google definition Wrote:flue: a duct for smoke and waste gases produced by a fire, a gas heater, a power station, or other fuel-burning installation.
08-26-2020 09:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.