Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Arts building
dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
New Arts building
Looks like another building is going up near the recently opened opera house. This was approved last year but Rice now has funding.

Quote:A new facility that will serve the needs of visual and dramatic arts students and faculty at Rice University is closer to being realized thanks to a generous lead gift from Houston businessman and philanthropist Fayez Sarofim. The building, to be named in honor of Mr. Sarofim, will be a 50,000-square-foot facility situated next door to the Moody Center for the Arts and will seek to amplify the arts on campus and in the community

https://news.rice.edu/2020/08/24/new-bui...z-sarofim/
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2020 10:51 AM by dragon2owl.)
08-24-2020 10:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
RE: New Arts building
(08-24-2020 10:48 AM)dragon2owl Wrote:  Looks like another building is going up near the recently opened opera house. This was approved last year but Rice now has funding.

Quote:A new facility that will serve the needs of visual and dramatic arts students and faculty at Rice University is closer to being realized thanks to a generous lead gift from Houston businessman and philanthropist Fayez Sarofim. The building, to be named in honor of Mr. Sarofim, will be a 50,000-square-foot facility situated next door to the Moody Center for the Arts and will seek to amplify the arts on campus and in the community

https://news.rice.edu/2020/08/24/new-bui...z-sarofim/

Does anyone know what its specific location will be, "next door to the Moody Center"?

South of Moody ... replacing the Rice Media Center? (If so, I hope the lovely vegetable garden stays.) Or north of Moody, replacing the "Hess Parking Lot" and reducing the access/view of Reckling Park from College Way & Loop Road?
08-24-2020 01:49 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
These things are cool.

But I just have this feeling that Rice the outstanding STEM institute is being converted to Rice the Ivy-ish liberal arts (with the emphasis on liberal) university. I can't say that's the Rice that I would want to attend today.
08-24-2020 01:56 PM
MartelOwl_08 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice

New Orleans Bowl
(08-24-2020 01:56 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  These things are cool.

But I just have this feeling that Rice the outstanding STEM institute is being converted to Rice the Ivy-ish liberal arts (with the emphasis on liberal) university. I can't say that's the Rice that I would want to attend today.

It's still an outstanding STEM institute. That's not changing. It was also already a liberal-leaning place in the mid-2000s when I was there. I do think that investment in these other non-STEM areas is pretty important, and at least does well to differentiate ourselves from some of our peers and create a well-rounded institute of higher learning!
08-24-2020 02:55 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(08-24-2020 02:55 PM)MartelOwl_08 Wrote:  It's still an outstanding STEM institute.

I hope it is. That's good news.

I do think it has drifted substantially further left than it was in my undergraduate days. And that's not a change which I like.
08-24-2020 04:39 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(08-24-2020 04:39 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(08-24-2020 02:55 PM)MartelOwl_08 Wrote:  It's still an outstanding STEM institute.

I do think it has drifted substantially further left than it was in my undergraduate days. And that's not a change which I like.

I was pretty much left of center when I was there. Rice went left, I went right.
08-24-2020 04:41 PM
Advertisement

illiniowl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
It's nice we finally made an honest man out of Sarofim, as he's been quasi-plagiarizing the University seal for years!
[Image: Fayez%20Sarofim-logo.gif?v=1]

The pro tennis fans here undoubtedly have noted the ubiquitous Sarofim owls at the annual River Oaks clay court tournament:
[Image: photo_big.jpg]
08-24-2020 04:50 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(08-24-2020 04:41 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
I was pretty much left of center when I was there. Rice went left, I went right.

I was pretty much libertarian when I was there and haven't really moved much from there. Rice seems to have lurched left.

My decision model was 1) good STEM school, 2) big-time athletics, and 3) more conservative than the left-wing echo chambers of the Ivy League. Rice today should still have 1), but 2) is gone, and so apparently is 3).

I suppose my ideal university would be Hillsdale with strong STEM and big-time athletics. I don't see one of those anywhere.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2020 05:02 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
08-24-2020 04:51 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(08-24-2020 02:55 PM)MartelOwl_08 Wrote:  
(08-24-2020 01:56 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  These things are cool.

It's still an outstanding STEM institute. That's not changing. It was also already a liberal-leaning place in the mid-2000s when I was there. I do think that investment in these other non-STEM areas is pretty important, and at least does well to differentiate ourselves from some of our peers and create a well-rounded institute of higher learning!

lol It was most certainly liberal-leaning when 69/70/75 attended. In fact, Texas as a state was still liberal-leaning back then.
08-24-2020 05:00 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(08-24-2020 05:00 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  lol It was most certainly liberal-leaning when 69/70/75 attended. In fact, Texas as a state was still liberal-leaning back then.

Texas was clearly democrat-leaning back then, but I wouldn't say that Texas democrats leaned very far left. John Connolly was a democrat governor of Texas.

I would say that Rice was starting to lean left. It didn't lean nearly as far left as the Ivies or Cal-Berkeley. I remember an anti-war protest outside the RMC on a Wednesday afternoon. A bunch of us coming back from the ROTC drill deck decided we would take a look. There were more ROTC students in uniform than protesters.
08-24-2020 05:06 PM
ruowls Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Football Genius
(08-24-2020 04:51 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

I was pretty much libertarian when I was there and haven't really moved much from there. Rice seems to have lurched left.

My decision model was 1) good STEM school, 2) big-time athletics, and 3) more conservative than the left-wing echo chambers of the Ivy League. Rice today should still have 1), but 2) is gone, and so apparently is 3).

I suppose my ideal university would be Hillsdale with strong STEM and big-time athletics. I don't see one of those anywhere.

RE: Will there be a football season?

(08-13-2020 04:29 PM)ruowls Wrote:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/o...ocid=ientp

Who knew?
Looks like football is important at Rice.
No brainer

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersan...p#image=92

Rice University is a no-brainer choice for high-performing students who want sports to be a big part of their college experience.

Stanford, Duke, Rice and Notre Dame (in that order) were the only FBS Div 1 schools in the top 20 private universities. Yes Rice is underachieving but the opportunity of a highly ranked private university in D1 sports is there.
08-24-2020 05:26 PM
Advertisement

grol Offline
Baseball Fan

Donators
(08-24-2020 01:49 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  [quote='dragon2owl' pid='16959709' dateline='1598284123']
Looks like another building is going up near the recently opened opera house. This was approved last year but Rice now has funding.

Does anyone know what its specific location will be, "next door to the Moody Center"?

South of Moody ... replacing the Rice Media Center? (If so, I hope the lovely vegetable garden stays.) Or north of Moody, replacing the "Hess Parking Lot" and reducing the access/view of Reckling Park from College Way & Loop Road?

That's my question. The news article shows a picture of the opera house and music building.
08-24-2020 06:32 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(08-24-2020 05:26 PM)ruowls Wrote:  Rice University is a no-brainer choice for high-performing students who want sports to be a big part of their college experience.
Stanford, Duke, Rice and Notre Dame (in that order) were the only FBS Div 1 schools in the top 20 private universities. Yes Rice is underachieving but the opportunity of a highly ranked private university in D1 sports is there.

My freshman year, we beat then #2 Texas in Austin. My sophomore year, we beat LSU, and dominated #2 UCLA, only to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in the final 7 seconds. We also beat aTm while I was an undergrad. Doing any of those today would be virtually impossible.

We won a conference championship in basketball, 4 in tennis (including #2 in the nation one year), and 2 in track while I was there. The tennis team that was #2 in the nation did not lose a set in conference round-robin play.

To me, participating in big-time sports means more than showing up at the appointed stadium in time for the kickoff. It means winning, at least occasionally, against the best. Finishing at or near the bottom of CUSA is not competing in big-time sports.

If I were making the decision today, I would probably attend Notre Dame.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2020 08:47 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
08-24-2020 08:45 PM
mebehutchi Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Same decision making tree to attend in early 90's. I would add at a reasonable price. Rice was less expensive than my state U at the time. We were pretty apathetic politically, maybe because we were getting our last gasp at big time sports success. I would have been, and today would be academy bound.
08-25-2020 09:16 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(08-25-2020 09:16 AM)mebehutchi Wrote:  

Same decision making tree to attend in early 90's. I would add at a reasonable price. Rice was less expensive than my state U at the time. We were pretty apathetic politically, maybe because we were getting our last gasp at big time sports success. I would have been, and today would be academy bound.

I predate even Owl69. My decision, heavily influenced by my parents, was the most prestige for the least money, as Rice was tuition free at that time.

Rice at that time was characterized politically by apathy. The world was filled with civil rights marches and antiwar protests, yet in my time at rice I remember only one protest, and I don't remember even what was being protested. It consisted of people marching single file around the Quad carrying lit candles. Very unimpressive even then. I remember lots of bull sessions in the colleges over religion and the such - but none about the War or civil rights. I had opinions on things - but since I wasn't old enough to vote and was more concerned with the fine balancing act between drinking as much as possible and not flunking out, I was not an activist in anything. Both the YR and YD tried to recruit me. Maybe if they had served beer at meetings, I would have joined one or both.

If I were a HS senior today, would Rice be on my list? Probably. Depends on a lot of things. Would it be first? maybe, maybe not. Heck, even back in 1962 they were not first.
08-25-2020 10:01 AM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-25-2020 09:16 AM)mebehutchi Wrote:  

I have to wonder if I was one of the last classes to significantly consider Rice's price tag when making my decision. When I matriculated in 2007, the cost differential was around 25% of other comparable schools (Rice's total fees around $30k and most others were around $40k). I just looked and the sticker price has more than doubled (~$70k) and other universities have too (Duke is around $80k). So while the absolute difference has remained (~$10k) the difference in cost is only ~13%.
08-25-2020 10:43 AM
Advertisement

ruowls Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Football Genius
(08-24-2020 08:45 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(08-24-2020 05:26 PM)ruowls Wrote:  Rice University is a no-brainer choice for high-performing students who want sports to be a big part of their college experience.

My freshman year, we beat then #2 Texas in Austin. My sophomore year, we beat LSU, and dominated #2 UCLA, only to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in the final 7 seconds. We also beat aTm while I was an undergrad. Doing any of those today would be virtually impossible.

We won a conference championship in basketball, 4 in tennis (including #2 in the nation one year), and 2 in track while I was there. The tennis team that was #2 in the nation did not lose a set in conference round-robin play.

To me, participating in big-time sports means more than showing up at the appointed stadium in time for the kickoff. It means winning, at least occasionally, against the best. Finishing at or near the bottom of CUSA is not competing in big-time sports.

If I were making the decision today, I would probably attend Notre Dame.

I was just posting the perception others have of Rice now.

My first year at Rice we played the defending National Champs (Miami) and played Texas when they were ranked #1. This year Rice was supposed to play the defending National Champ (LSU).
My second year at Rice, we played around the 10th toughest schedule that year in the nation with 2 teams finishing in the top 6, one at 11, one at 17 and 3 more between 22-30. One team started the season in the top 3 but didn't fair so well. I am pretty sure that I just didn't just show up and take up stadium space.

It is interesting that last night my son told me he really wants to go to Rice. He wants to play football. It will be interesting to see what happens. He realizes that Rice hasn't met your "win occasionally and not just show up" component. He actually thinks he could be the difference maker for them to maybe win some of those games. He has looked at their future schedules and looked to see which games could be statement makers. Since he is a Dodger fan, USC in LA is one he talks about. There are others as well. I guess he does take after his dad in that regard (thinks Rice can potentially beat anybody even if it is only a pipe dream).

Honestly, I am a little skeptical that Rice can even recognize the possibilities with him. I can tell you Rice hasn't with me. So, like you, I am leery that Rice will be able to do more than just "show up". But, like always, I see a path for Rice to "occasionally beat the best". The big question is if Rice sees it.
08-26-2020 11:27 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(08-26-2020 11:27 AM)ruowls Wrote:  The big question is if Rice sees it.

I think the bigger question is whether Rice wants to see it.
08-28-2020 06:30 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(08-26-2020 11:27 AM)ruowls Wrote:  My first year at Rice we played the defending National Champs (Miami) and played Texas when they were ranked #1. This year Rice was supposed to play the defending National Champ (LSU).
My second year at Rice, we played around the 10th toughest schedule that year in the nation with 2 teams finishing in the top 6, one at 11, one at 17 and 3 more between 22-30. One team started the season in the top 3 but didn't fare so well. I am pretty sure that I just didn't just show up and take up stadium space.

For those who don't remember, that second year included a return matchup against Miami (who were actually better than the previous year), where with 4 minutes left we were taking time out on defense to preserve clock for our offense to try to tie the game up. Unfortunately our defense gave up a TD, and then we gave up another, to put an end to those hopes. But on that day, we competed against a top ten team that was about to put together an amazing run of national champions/contenders.

So yes we did compete, and you were a big part of that. That's not Rice football today, and I'm of the opinion that Rice doesn't want it to be.
08-28-2020 06:47 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(08-24-2020 05:26 PM)ruowls Wrote:  http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersan...p#image=92

Rice University is a no-brainer choice for high-performing students who want sports to be a big part of their college experience.

Absolutely. We've made this argument before... that within G5 we are absolutely unique... and p5 only has 'so many' scholarships.

So if a guy doesn't get the nod for Stanford or Duke or ND or even Vandy, where does he go? Texas Tech? Fresno? UAB? The drop in academics is precipitous.

But here's a story I'd tell. I walked on to Rice. I did it because it offered a better education than A&M where some family thought I should go (sister was at Sam). Because I was a military brat and moved before my Jr year, I couldn't play varsity as a Jr and as a Sr, my coach wasn't big on field goals... except as a last resort until about halfway through the season, after we'd had 3 such necessities. I think I attempted 11 all season and 7 of those in the last 4 games.... but this also cost me in academics. My former schools had 'GT' classes, not 'honors' classes. a 4.0 in GT was worth more than a 4.0 in a regular class, but only because of the class fulfillment. Texas iirc actually gave you a 5.0 on your transcript for what was essentially the same class. I got 2 years of that, the rest of the students had 4 years of that. I was 'good', but not THAT good. My 'ivy' option wasn't Ivy, but was RPI.

If I had that choice today, I probably go to A&M. The football option is SOOOO much better it's not even comparable anymore.... and this is with a stadium that didn't have a weight room , much less all that they have now. Maybe I don't make the team, but maybe I do. Academics aren't as good, but they're not horrible, and the size of the alumni base makes up for a lot of that. They put out IDK, 500 MBAs each year. The odds that 50 of them do very well is high. We put out 50. Even if all of them are great, it's still the same number.

I wouldn't go to Rice today. We were #8-14 when I was there academically... and most things we've done to maintain that position seems to have made us less unique. We were 'The Harvard of the South' and we played top tier athletics. Now I feel like we're a Harvard alternative in a vastly less desirable part of the country... unless you already live in the south and love it or hate the northeast and snow, who plays sports at the same level as Harvard.
08-28-2020 11:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.