Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Ratings Continue to Crater for Protest-Filled NBA
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Ratings Continue to Crater for Protest-Filled NBA
Quote:The NBA may have come back to TV to play the second half of its COVID-delayed 2020 season, but judging by the dismal ratings, it appears the fans have not.

Ethan Strauss of The Athletic notes that the league’s ratings are coming in well under the pre-COVID break numbers.

ABC’s NBA broadcasts in 2019-20 averaged 2.95 million viewers, down from its 5.42 million during 2011-12, Strauss wrote. That is a 45 percent drop off.

Strauss also reported that TNT’s viewership is down 40 percent since the 2011-12 season, and ESPN has seen a decline of about 20 percent during the same time.

“While it’s easy to cite ‘cord-cutting’ as a catch-all explanation for what’s going on, keep in mind, Nielsen ratings do incorporate streaming services, albeit imperfectly,” Strauss reminded readers. “While some offer theories of pirated games, there just isn’t much evidence that a massive population engages in that, at least not at the scale that would explain this big a drop.”

Strauss is not the only source pointing out the NBA’s steady spiral. In Feb., before COVID hysteria shut the league down, Sports Business Daily reported that the league had seen a 12 percent loss in viewership compared to 2018-19.

While other sports have had their ups and downs, their ratings have seen slight increases over the last decade or remained flat. So, the NBA is an outlier in its loss of viewers.

NBA Commissioner tried to dismiss the sliding ratings early this year.

“I’m not concerned, either. In terms of every other key indicator that we look at that measures the popularity of the league, we’re up,” he told the Washington Post in December.

Strauss added that the NBA’s numbers have been a “ratings disaster of a season, with the NBA’s most-watched game of last week trailing golf, NASCAR and wrestling.”

Upon its return, the left-wing sports league has veered even farther to the left as nearly every player has kneeled during the national anthem and sported social justice slogans on jersey backs, and the league has launched full force into support for Black Lives Matter at every turn.

Link

Maybe its go woke and get broke?
08-22-2020 04:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Ratings Continue to Crater for Protest-Filled NBA
(08-22-2020 04:23 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  
Quote:The NBA may have come back to TV to play the second half of its COVID-delayed 2020 season, but judging by the dismal ratings, it appears the fans have not.

Ethan Strauss of The Athletic notes that the league’s ratings are coming in well under the pre-COVID break numbers.

ABC’s NBA broadcasts in 2019-20 averaged 2.95 million viewers, down from its 5.42 million during 2011-12, Strauss wrote. That is a 45 percent drop off.

Strauss also reported that TNT’s viewership is down 40 percent since the 2011-12 season, and ESPN has seen a decline of about 20 percent during the same time.

“While it’s easy to cite ‘cord-cutting’ as a catch-all explanation for what’s going on, keep in mind, Nielsen ratings do incorporate streaming services, albeit imperfectly,” Strauss reminded readers. “While some offer theories of pirated games, there just isn’t much evidence that a massive population engages in that, at least not at the scale that would explain this big a drop.”

Strauss is not the only source pointing out the NBA’s steady spiral. In Feb., before COVID hysteria shut the league down, Sports Business Daily reported that the league had seen a 12 percent loss in viewership compared to 2018-19.

While other sports have had their ups and downs, their ratings have seen slight increases over the last decade or remained flat. So, the NBA is an outlier in its loss of viewers.

NBA Commissioner tried to dismiss the sliding ratings early this year.

“I’m not concerned, either. In terms of every other key indicator that we look at that measures the popularity of the league, we’re up,” he told the Washington Post in December.

Strauss added that the NBA’s numbers have been a “ratings disaster of a season, with the NBA’s most-watched game of last week trailing golf, NASCAR and wrestling.”

Upon its return, the left-wing sports league has veered even farther to the left as nearly every player has kneeled during the national anthem and sported social justice slogans on jersey backs, and the league has launched full force into support for Black Lives Matter at every turn.

Link

Maybe its go woke and get broke?

Lot of cocaine and jewelry dealers gonna go out of business when they cut that salary cap by 75%.
08-22-2020 04:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
NBA billionaires don’t like America or White people

LA Clippers forward Montrezl Harrell calls 21-year-old Slovenian all-star Luka Dončić a “***** ass white boy.” Harrel later received a technical foul for getting into it with Doncic after the two got tangled under the basket.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2020 05:10 PM by No Bull.)
08-22-2020 05:08 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
They gonna be a bunch of mad baby mamas in NBA cities.
08-22-2020 05:29 PM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Ratings Continue to Crater for Protest-Filled NBA
(08-22-2020 05:08 PM)No Bull Wrote:  NBA billionaires don’t like America or White people

LA Clippers forward Montrezl Harrell calls 21-year-old Slovenian all-star Luka Dončić a “***** ass white boy.” Harrel later received a technical foul for getting into it with Doncic after the two got tangled under the basket.

So, Montrezls gonna lose his job over that slur, right? Isn’t that how this works?

Would Doncic lose his job if the roles were reversed?
08-22-2020 05:34 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

When are white people going to realize that the black thugs (Montrez played here in Louisville) in the NBA are some of the most racist people on this planet. How many examples does the PC community need to stop the charade that blacks can’t be racist.

I would hope Luka burns that piece of trash BLM shirt he has been wearing.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2020 05:58 PM by CardinalJim.)
08-22-2020 05:56 PM
Advertisement

maximus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(08-22-2020 05:34 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  
(08-22-2020 05:08 PM)No Bull Wrote:  NBA billionaires don’t like America or White people

So, Montrezls gonna lose his job over that slur, right? Isn’t that how this works?

Doncic should apologize for his white privilege and give half of his salary to that dude.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
08-22-2020 06:07 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(08-22-2020 06:07 PM)maximus Wrote:  
(08-22-2020 05:34 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  

Doncic should apologize for his white privilege and give half of his salary to that dude.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

...and his house to some black person. If he really believed in blm he'd do it.

Bwahahahahaha, I'll bet he won't though.
08-22-2020 06:22 PM
450bench Offline

I Root For: Memphis
The nba is in deep deep trouble. The average fan has now begun to not pay attention and the hip hop crowd they’re pandering to has no money.

It’s gonna get really ugly folks. Really ugly.
08-22-2020 07:09 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

This headline from Sports Illustrated made me laugh

“NBA playoff ratings 'crush' broadcasts of Democratic National Convention“

https://www.si.com/nba/cavaliers/nba-ami...atings-dnc
08-22-2020 07:22 PM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
(08-22-2020 07:09 PM)450bench Wrote:  The nba is in deep deep trouble. The average fan has now begun to not pay attention and the hip hop crowd they’re pandering to has no money.

It’s gonna get really ugly folks. Really ugly.

Move their asses to China. XiPooh will treat them right..
08-22-2020 07:50 PM
Advertisement

Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
I know many of you don't care for the NBA anyways, but I usually watch some of the Playoffs - I am someone who actually is boycotting it
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2020 07:57 PM by Bronco'14.)
08-22-2020 07:51 PM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
(08-22-2020 07:51 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  I know many of you don't care for the NBA anyways, but I usually watch some of the Playoffs - I am actually boycotting it

I loved it when it was Majic, Byrd. Celtics vs. Lakers. Those were the days of real basketball. What passes (and I use that word loosely) for basketball these days doesn’t compare.
08-22-2020 07:56 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(08-22-2020 07:56 PM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  I loved it when it was Majic, Byrd. Celtics vs. Lakers. Those were the days of real basketball. What passes (and I use that word loosely) for basketball these days doesn’t compare.

Absolutely. Five guys throwing the ball around the perimeter until somebody jacks up a three isn't entertaining, and IMO isn't really basketball. It's like watching a game of H-O-R-S-E.
08-22-2020 10:04 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
NBA needs affirmative like the rest of the county. Being best doesnt matter. Gotta fill out the color wheel.
08-23-2020 01:42 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(08-23-2020 01:42 PM)shere khan Wrote:  NBA needs affirmative like the rest of the county. Being best doesnt matter. Gotta fill out the color wheel.

Whites don't whine enough to change that.
08-23-2020 02:00 PM
Advertisement

450bench Offline

I Root For: Memphis
F the nba.

Used to love it not anymore. It’s a shame.
08-23-2020 02:40 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
If Europe threw as much money at basketball as they do football (soccer), the NBA could be a crispy critter in relatively short order.
08-23-2020 04:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BartlettTigerFan Online
Have gun Will travel

I Root For: Freedom
What's an NBA?
08-23-2020 05:25 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Well, this isn't helping me decide to watch any NFL games....

LInk
08-23-2020 10:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.