Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ouch - hey ECU fans...
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
Ouch - hey ECU fans...
if you're losing American flights to Greenville...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/20/coronavi...s-out.html

is there another major airline that flies in?

USFFan
08-20-2020 08:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
RE: Ouch - hey ECU fans...
i've been to Greenville 3 times, first time i drove, second time i flew in to Raleigh and drove over on game day, third time I was on the team flight. the runway in Greenville was too short to take off fully loaded so they moved the plane over to Kinston (longer runway) (dont ask me why we didnt land in Kinston instead of burning up the brakes landing in Greenville) and we bused over to it after the game to return home. knowing what i know now, i would look for a flight to Raleigh instead
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020 09:18 AM by tigerjeb.)
08-20-2020 09:13 AM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
The Global Transpark is 28 miles from the stadium (Kinston) and the football team flys out of there anyway. You can fly anything in and out of there and Raleigh isn't that far away if you want to fly anywhere in the world. I think they fly private for the basketball team anyway at least mid week, and from Raleigh for the week ends.

Sucks worse for places out west I would guess. I would imagine there is less with in an hour from some. That's the good thing about being in a smaller market on the east coast drive an hour pretty much and you still got access to about anything with in reason.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020 09:54 AM by StillJonesing.)
08-20-2020 09:47 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(08-20-2020 08:45 AM)usffan Wrote:  if you're losing American flights to Greenville...

USFFan

It's my understanding there is an old Conestoga wagon trail branching off of paved road. At that point you're still 20 miles out outside of Greenville -- and when it rains you'll have to walk it.
08-20-2020 11:35 AM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

Y'all talkin bout them flyin things what make all that racket? Good riddance.
08-20-2020 11:37 AM
NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

I Root For: ECU & the AAC
(08-20-2020 11:35 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  
(08-20-2020 08:45 AM)usffan Wrote:  if you're losing American flights to Greenville...

USFFan

It's my understanding there is an old Conestoga wagon trail branching off of paved road. At that point you're still 20 miles out outside of Greenville -- and when it rains you'll have to walk it.
It’s not easy getting to the end of that rainbow.
[Image: 607A4739.jpg?width=1000&height=5...;mode=crop]
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020 12:31 PM by NoQuarterBrigade.)
08-20-2020 12:29 PM
Advertisement

tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
(08-20-2020 11:35 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  

USFFan

if you look at a map of North Carolina, once you go just a bit east of Greenville it just says "Beyond here be Dragons"
08-20-2020 12:30 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
To the 'end of the rainbow' guy above - linked below are the contributed independent reviews of Greenville on Best Places to live. You can't make this **** up LOL

https://www.bestplaces.net/comments/city...greenville
08-20-2020 12:42 PM
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

First off, service is only suspended from October 7 through November 3 due to covid19.

https://www.wnct.com/local-news/american...e-airport/

Second, man...Memphis fans really have it out for ECU and Greenville. I was born and raised in Greenville. I have also lived in New Orleans and Tokyo and traveled to nearly 50 countries in the last 20 years or so. Greenville has made so many strides in recent years and is becoming a great place to live and visit. The town has been great for me and my career & I wouldn't have my great life and career without ECU. I love my home, just minutes walk from the Stadium. Even though I'm near downtown, I live on a creek with lots of privacy and virtually a forest in my backyard (lots of deer cross back there). All I'm saying is don't be so quick to judge. Come check out the improvements the next time we play you guys and don't trust some unsuccessful loser that has failed at life working as a clerk that is mad at the world because he didn't amount to jack sh*! and wants to blame Greenville for it. It's actually a charming little town near a lot great beaches and the OBX.
08-20-2020 01:49 PM
PuddlePirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: inorganic groceries

USFFan

I've always driven over to RDU since we moved back after I retired. It's not a bad drive, maybe an hour give or take depending on traffic in the Triangle. But its worth it in every way because you miss having to catch a connecting flight in Charlotte if you fly out of PGV. RDU is generally a straight shot to wherever you're going. And really there is no need to expand PGV because RDU is so close and convenient. What incentive would there be to expand a regional airport that's a stones throw from a major international airport?
08-20-2020 02:15 PM
PuddlePirate Offline
1st String

(08-20-2020 01:49 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  First off, service is only suspended from October 7 through November 3 due to covid19.

https://www.wnct.com/local-news/american...e-airport/

Second, man...Memphis fans really have it out for ECU and Greenville. I was born and raised in Greenville. I have also lived in New Orleans and Tokyo and traveled to nearly 50 countries in the last 20 years or so. Greenville has made so many strides in recent years and is becoming a great place to live and visit. The town has been great for me and my career & I wouldn't have my great life and career without ECU. I love my home, just minutes walk from the Stadium. Even though I'm near downtown, I live on a creek with lots of privacy and virtually a forest in my backyard (lots of deer cross back there). All I'm saying is don't be so quick to judge. Come check out the improvements the next time we play you guys and don't trust some unsuccessful loser that has failed at life working as a clerk that is mad at the world because he didn't amount to jack sh*! and wants to blame Greenville for it. It's actually a charming little town near a lot great beaches and the OBX.

I totally agree with you. My wife and I decided to move back to Greenville after I retired specifically for the quality of life. I've been stationed in major cities, Boston, Baltimore, DC, L.A., San Francisco, which makes me really appreciate Greenville. I love big cities but they are really a huge pain in the a$$ to live in. Since we moved from here 26 years ago after finishing at ECU and came back last year the amount of development that's taken place is very significant but not overwhelming. We really appreciate what Greenville has to offer, everything we need and no traffic to sit in for hours, not having to take subways and trains, etc., not having to pay for parking, offices that aren't completely slammed with people when you have to go for an appointment. Greenville is good to go in my book.
08-20-2020 02:36 PM
Advertisement

40smokingcannon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: barbECUe
How easy is it to fly to Tuscaloosa? Oxford? Starkville? Hattiesburg? Blacksburg? Charlottesville? I meas everywhere can't have a nice airport like Memphis or Mogadishu.
08-20-2020 03:04 PM
NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

I Root For: ECU & the AAC
(08-20-2020 12:42 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  To the 'end of the rainbow' guy above - linked below are the contributed independent reviews of Greenville on Best Places to live. You can't make this **** up LOL

You really want to go there Tiger City??? You found a page with 25 reviews on it spread out over the past 15 or so years. Not all of them bad. Now I’ve been to Memphis and I had a hell of a good time on Beale Street. We took in some of the sites. We had a good time. We were careful about where we went.

Do you want me start posting some crime statistics for Memphis?
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020 03:35 PM by NoQuarterBrigade.)
08-20-2020 03:10 PM
40smokingcannon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: barbECUe
(08-20-2020 03:10 PM)NoQuarterBrigade Wrote:  
(08-20-2020 12:42 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  To the 'end of the rainbow' guy above - linked below are the contributed independent reviews of Greenville on Best Places to live. You can't make this **** up LOL

You really want to go there Tiger City??? You found a page with 25 reviews on it spread out over the past 15 or so years. Not all of them bad. Now I’ve been to Memphis and I had a hell of a good time on Beale Street. We took in some of the sites. We had a good time. We were careful about where we went.

Do you want me start posting some crime statistics for Memphis?

No, don't post things that are negative about Memphis. Let's bring love to the board and positivity. Let's post GOOD things about Memphis. I'll start:
08-20-2020 03:40 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

Some of these other markets affected have to have it worse than we do.

Del Rio, Texas; Dubuque, Iowa; Florence, South Carolina; Greenville, North Carolina; Joplin, Missouri; New Haven, Connecticut; Roswell, New Mexico; Stillwater, Oklahoma and Williamsport, Pennsylvania.

American also plans to suspend flights to these airports: Sioux City, Iowa; Kalamazoo/Battle Creek, Michigan; Huntington, West Virginia, New Windsor, New York, Springfield, Illinois; Lake Charles, Louisiana
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020 03:44 PM by StillJonesing.)
08-20-2020 03:44 PM
mikeinoki Offline
Gone to Seed

I Root For: JDB
This is not really surprising. Air travel is down over 70%. The global airline industry is losing $230 million every day. US airlines are looking at slashing tens of thousands of jobs. As mentioned above, at least we have other options. Hopefully this will be just temporary. At least for charter flights, this shouldn't be an issue.
08-20-2020 03:59 PM
Advertisement

Sideshow2313 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
Ouch, this is why airport size was a factor in deciding which teams to invite to AAC. The good news is charter fights can still get in but hurts for fans and staff that can't make it on charter flight.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2020 12:47 PM by Sideshow2313.)
08-21-2020 12:45 PM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-21-2020 12:45 PM)Sideshow2313 Wrote:  Ouch, this is why airport size was a factor in deciding which teams to invite to AAC. The good news is charter fights can still get in but hurts for fans and staff that can't make it on charter flight.

Kinston is fine and is a short drive away.

That is the airport the team uses anyway.
08-21-2020 01:06 PM
Sideshow2313 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(08-21-2020 01:06 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  
(08-21-2020 12:45 PM)Sideshow2313 Wrote:  Ouch, this is why airport size was a factor in deciding which teams to invite to AAC. The good news is charter fights can still get in but hurts for fans and staff that can't make it on charter flight.

Is it big enough runway for the entire FB team? Don't want another crash.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2020 01:25 PM by Sideshow2313.)
08-21-2020 01:24 PM
PuddlePirate Offline
1st String

(08-21-2020 01:24 PM)Sideshow2313 Wrote:  
(08-21-2020 01:06 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  

Is it big enough runway for the entire FB team? Don't want another crash.

Yes it is. Don't be daft.
08-21-2020 02:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.