Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BYU finally coming around on the AAC (Link) but do we really even want them now?
B easy Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
BYU finally coming around on the AAC (Link) but do we really even want them now?
Here's a really interesting poll & thread from BYU's highly active message board so I think it's an accurate reflection and picture of their true views and objectives right now. Apparently, this covid virus is the catalyst that has made them come around. 2/3s (66.4%) of that board would now want to join the AAC if a couple western schools would come along for the ride.

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag...d=24230060

I have followed that board & even posted there from time to time since ECU started scheduling them back in 2015. This marks a stark 360 u-turn in their consensus. Usually, their inflated self esteem & grandiosity impede their ability to exercise reason but it's so obvious at this point that they cannot even deny the lure that the AAC offers them right now. To be fair, 1/3 of them are still blinded by self-aggrandizement but overall this represents a marked change in perception and thought.

But the big question is why would the AAC want an institution that wasn't there for us during the struggle but now wants to reap in the AAC's successes?
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2020 11:47 AM by B easy.)
08-15-2020 11:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
RE: BYU finally coming around on the AAC (Link) but do we really even want them now?
(08-15-2020 11:44 AM)B easy Wrote:  Here's a really interesting poll & thread from BYU's highly active message board so I think it's an accurate reflection and picture of their true views and objectives right now. Apparently, this covid virus is the catalyst that has made them come around. 2/3s (66.4%) of that board would now want to join the AAC if a couple western schools would come along for the ride.

I have followed that board & even posted there from time to time since ECU started scheduling them back in 2015. This marks a stark 360 u-turn in their consensus. Usually, their inflated self esteem & grandiosity impede their ability to exercise reason but it's so obvious at this point that they cannot even deny the lure that the AAC offers them right now. To be fair, 1/3 of them are still blinded by self-aggrandizement but overall this represents a marked change in perception and thought.

But the big question is why would the AAC want an institution that wasn't there for us during the struggle but now wants to reap in the AAC's successes?

They have to do something about that board set up. Lord all mighty that is ridiculous.

One of the naysayers claims BYU makes 15m a year from tv. Newspapers have done the math and Holme said the new deal is the same as the last. It depends on games but the best number I have seen them make was 4.5m I would assume a little bump from the new deal, so probably in that 5-6m.
08-15-2020 01:01 PM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
RE: BYU finally coming around on the AAC (Link) but do we really even want them now?
(08-15-2020 01:01 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  
(08-15-2020 11:44 AM)B easy Wrote:  Here's a really interesting poll & thread from BYU's highly active message board so I think it's an accurate reflection and picture of their true views and objectives right now. Apparently, this covid virus is the catalyst that has made them come around. 2/3s (66.4%) of that board would now want to join the AAC if a couple western schools would come along for the ride.

They have to do something about that board set up. Lord all mighty that is ridiculous.

One of the naysayers claims BYU makes 15m a year from tv. Newspapers have done the math and Holme said the new deal is the same as the last. It depends on games but the best number I have seen them make was 4.5m I would assume a little bump from the new deal, so probably in that 5-6m.

Are you TRYING to get GTWyomingUConnFletch to post here?!?
08-15-2020 01:04 PM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
Reading through the comments, I do not want these guys.
08-15-2020 01:08 PM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

(08-15-2020 01:04 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  

Lol we can just link them to any of the threads that already have these now years old arguments.

Seriously though, that board set up, I have a migraine I forgot how bad 1990s message boards were.
08-15-2020 01:08 PM
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

Okay bear with me now....The AAC member institutions are represented by the mom in this video, BYU is the absent father & the AAC itself (brand, goodwill, etc.) is the the son. Skip to 6:05 mark if impatient.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2020 01:13 PM by Indiana Bones.)
08-15-2020 01:10 PM
Advertisement

B easy Offline
1st String

(08-15-2020 01:10 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  

Okay bear with me now....The AAC member institutions are represented by the mom in this video, BYU is the absent father & the AAC itself (brand, goodwill, etc.) is the the son. Skip to 6:05 mark if impatient.

It would actually make more sense if Boise was the dad, the member AAC schools are the son & the AAC as an entity is the mom, particularly if you start the video at the 5:20 mark IMO.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2020 01:22 PM by B easy.)
08-15-2020 01:21 PM
SMUleopold Offline
1st String

I Root For: Guess, genius..
I don't doubt they are rethinking their decision right now. Plenty of people pointed out that going indy was a risky move, based largely on unforeseen circumstances and boom, we get an act-of-God showing them why.

But I stand by my opinion that we don't want them - one bad apple and all that.
08-15-2020 01:49 PM
bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(08-15-2020 01:49 PM)SMUleopold Wrote:  I don't doubt they are rethinking their decision right now. Plenty of people pointed out that going indy was a risky move, based largely on unforeseen circumstances and boom, we get an act-of-God showing them why.

But I stand by my opinion that we don't want them - one bad apple and all that.

If ESPN make it worth our while, sure. Other than that don't really care.
08-15-2020 02:10 PM
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
(08-15-2020 01:08 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  
(08-15-2020 01:04 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  

Lol we can just link them to any of the threads that already have these now years old arguments.

Seriously though, that board set up, I have a migraine I forgot how bad 1990s message boards were.

looks like ECU's boneyard banter site. its horrendous to try to look through

But to the question, i would defer to ESPN's direction. IF they want us to make that kind of move and are willing to sweeten the deal to make it happen, then we would be foolish not to (and bite the hand that feeds us). but no special deals or cut outs. they become one of 14.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2020 02:30 PM by tigerjeb.)
08-15-2020 02:26 PM
B easy Offline
1st String

I know many here have criticized Aresco in the past but by and large he's done a good job of helping to place the conference as a whole into position to succeed. He's an effective advocate, he chooses his words carefully, and he uses logic to our advantage.

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/na...story.html

“We felt a decision like that would be premature,” Aresco said. “Our medical experts have continued to tell us it’s safer to play then not to play. They feel there is no compelling reason not to play.”

It was suggested by many in the national media that new concerns about the impact COVID-19 can have on internal organs, especially the heart, were a game-changer for Big Ten and Pac-12 officials. Foremost among the potential side effects was myocarditis, which is inflammation of the heart muscle and is usually caused by a viral infection. A severe case can weaken the heart, which can lead to heart failure, abnormal heartbeat, and sudden death.

“Our medical people have looked closely at the myocarditis issue. In fact, they’ve been tracking it for months,” Aresco said. “Certainly, that is something we take very seriously. It’s not a common condition.”

Aresco quoted the response from the AAC chief epidemiologist.

“His exact words were the ‘vast, vast majority of people that would develop this condition would recover,‘” said Aresco, emphasizing the expert used the word “vast” twice. “Trust me, if our medical professionals told us it was not safe to play, we would not go forward.”

Aresco reiterated a comment he’s made to other media outlets in the wake of this week’s events: “It’s easier to shut down than to try to push forward.”

“We need to have the courage of our convictions. I’m not concerned about optics, I’m concerned about doing the right thing,”
he said.
08-15-2020 03:01 PM
Advertisement

GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
How about they become one of twelve and call it a day...

BTW I thing most people here don't really understand the way BYU operates, They are part of the LDS church, they get support wherever the are in the US.

Noticed that most people here hate Liberty, my question is why, Liberty is supported by an Evangelical Church and BYU is supported by the LDS Church, they can both survive as independents as a result, conference membership is only important to access playoffs and prestigious Bowl games.

Pretty sure their athletic departments have all the money tyhey need to operate.

Having said that neither will turn down $30+ million TV Contract and neither will run through shark infested waters for a $7 million dollar TV deal.
08-15-2020 03:08 PM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(08-15-2020 03:01 PM)B easy Wrote:  I know many here have criticized Aresco in the past but by and large he's done a good job of helping to place the conference as a whole into position to succeed. He's an effective advocate, he chooses his words carefully, and he uses logic to our advantage.

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/na...story.html

“We felt a decision like that would be premature,” Aresco said. “Our medical experts have continued to tell us it’s safer to play then not to play. They feel there is no compelling reason not to play.”

It was suggested by many in the national media that new concerns about the impact COVID-19 can have on internal organs, especially the heart, were a game-changer for Big Ten and Pac-12 officials. Foremost among the potential side effects was myocarditis, which is inflammation of the heart muscle and is usually caused by a viral infection. A severe case can weaken the heart, which can lead to heart failure, abnormal heartbeat, and sudden death.

“Our medical people have looked closely at the myocarditis issue. In fact, they’ve been tracking it for months,” Aresco said. “Certainly, that is something we take very seriously. It’s not a common condition.”

Aresco quoted the response from the AAC chief epidemiologist.

“His exact words were the ‘vast, vast majority of people that would develop this condition would recover,‘” said Aresco, emphasizing the expert used the word “vast” twice. “Trust me, if our medical professionals told us it was not safe to play, we would not go forward.”

Aresco reiterated a comment he’s made to other media outlets in the wake of this week’s events: “It’s easier to shut down than to try to push forward.”

“We need to have the courage of our convictions. I’m not concerned about optics, I’m concerned about doing the right thing,”
he said.

Good read, agree with your assessment of Aresco.
08-15-2020 03:17 PM
Sideshow2313 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
Don't want BYU unless they 100% commit to the conference and sign something. I vote let the rot on the vine, they made their bed.

As for Boise State, nope they had their shot and backed out. I do respect what they did in past but can't live looking in rearview mirror.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2020 03:35 PM by Sideshow2313.)
08-15-2020 03:26 PM
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

(08-15-2020 01:21 PM)B easy Wrote:  
(08-15-2020 01:10 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  

It would actually make more sense if Boise was the dad, the member AAC schools are the son & the AAC as an entity is the mom, particularly if you start the video at the 5:20 mark IMO.

Okay so BYU is finally saying good morning to the American. Therefore, see clip below and suppose Aresco is Chris Isaac, Kiefer Sutherland is the AAC, Harry Dean Stanton is BYU...& Boise State is Teresa Banks' trailer. Oh & the old lady that walks into the trailer (she was actually the same actress who plays the 4-wheel driving matriarchal villain in the Goonies) is Nevada, maybe?

Btw, would y'all get mad if I started a thread about why Harry Dean Stanton is the best actor of all time.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2020 03:43 PM by Indiana Bones.)
08-15-2020 03:35 PM
sherekhan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
We should get rid of the dead weight before adding anymore schools. 03-shhhh
08-15-2020 03:43 PM
Advertisement

B easy Offline
1st String

From reading their thread some of them think they make more $ than us in TV revenue but from what I remember reports were that they make slightly less than we do, not even considering access bowl & NCAA credit revenue. Can anyone confirm?

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2020 05:08 PM by B easy.)
08-15-2020 05:08 PM
Sideshow2313 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(08-15-2020 05:08 PM)B easy Wrote:  From reading their thread some of them think they make more $ than us in TV revenue but from what I remember reports were that they make slightly less than we do, not even considering access bowl & NCAA credit revenue. Can anyone confirm?

The moment they started adding guarantees and sponsors they were not working with similar data. Should compare media rights $ to media rights $. They can keep their ticket revenue, sponsorships, even body bag $.
08-15-2020 05:16 PM
B easy Offline
1st String

(08-15-2020 05:16 PM)Sideshow2313 Wrote:  
(08-15-2020 05:08 PM)B easy Wrote:  From reading their thread some of them think they make more $ than us in TV revenue but from what I remember reports were that they make slightly less than we do, not even considering access bowl & NCAA credit revenue. Can anyone confirm?

The moment they started adding guarantees and sponsors they were not working with similar data. Should compare media rights $ to media rights $. They can keep their ticket revenue, sponsorships, even body bag $.

I also see some complaining that they couldn't schedule as many P5s if they joined the AAC. However, they could still schedule 4 P5s a year although as hard as the AAC is I don't think they'd want to. They are usually front loaded w/ 4-5 P5s in September and then have a bunch of MWC teams on the back end anyway.
08-15-2020 05:31 PM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

(08-15-2020 05:24 PM)B easy Wrote:  

I also see some complaining that they couldn't schedule as many P5s if they joined the AAC. However, they could still schedule 4 P5s a year although as hard as the AAC is I don't think they'd want to. They are usually front loaded w/ 4-5 P5s in September and then have a bunch of MWC teams on the back end anyway.
[/quote]

So their deal varies, depends on who they are playing. They have some sort of minimum and a max. Our old contract had them making more, a newspaper did the math and they made like 4.5m in 2015 when we made 2.2m. According to their AD the new deal is pretty much the same as the old deal. They have a year in the next three or four with a ton of p5 games, like 4 at home and maybe a neutral they have the rights to. That will be a year where their media deal would be higher than ours since they will get some great slots that will raise what they are paid. It's also a little deceptive because the deal includes a game they get to sell to BYUtv and they count that money as well, so they can cheat some on the numbers as long as they don't get ridiculous. They claim 10m a lot, but that is probably a perfect schedule, all ABC games year, which is a theoretical possibility but a never going to happen reality.

The media money on average is probably a wash to be honest. When you add in the 2-2.5m we get in cfp pay out though you could see years where BYU earns 5m+ as an indy and the AAC football only is taking home 8-9m with access to a NY6.
08-15-2020 05:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.