Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

B1G does not cancel........Intramural sports
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
B1G does not cancel........Intramural sports
https://www.outkick.com/b1g-cancels-fall...-rolls-on/

The Big Ten can postpone its fall sports and break the hearts of student-athletes and fans across the league, but conference commissioner Kevin Warren can’t take away all the fun on campus this fall. Michigan State’s still scheduled to have an intramural season. Ross Winter, MSU’s Assistant Director of Recreational Sports and Fitness Services, confirms to Outkick that the school is planning to have a fall intramural season – minus flag football.
08-14-2020 12:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
RE: B1G does not cancel........Intramural sports
Doesn't make much sense does it? I keep pointing to the leadership issues right now in the BIG and it's a huge problem. We need a big dose of Big Jim to balance this out a little bit.
08-14-2020 02:11 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
(08-14-2020 02:11 PM)cubucks Wrote:  Doesn't make much sense does it? I keep pointing to the leadership issues right now in the BIG and it's a huge problem. We need a big dose of Big Jim to balance this out a little bit.

Big Jim would have told you all to shut up and deal with the cancelation like adults.
08-14-2020 03:54 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

(08-14-2020 03:54 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  
(08-14-2020 02:11 PM)cubucks Wrote:  Doesn't make much sense does it? I keep pointing to the leadership issues right now in the BIG and it's a huge problem. We need a big dose of Big Jim to balance this out a little bit.

Big Jim would have told you all to shut up and deal with the cancelation like adults.
Yet intramural teams are playing.
If Big Jim was here, regardless of if the fall season was canceled or not, there wouldn't have been the drama throughout the league. He would have had a plan and been transparent from the beginning.
08-14-2020 04:02 PM
Advertisement

cubucks Offline
All American

So far I've spotted 3 poisonous universities within the league.

Michigan State
Minnesota
Rutgers

I'd be good at 11.

I'm still on the fence about 2 others, maybe a 9 team league.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2020 04:26 PM by cubucks.)
08-14-2020 04:23 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Does the Big Ten have any say or jurisdiction over club or intermural sports?

I don't know that answer.
08-14-2020 04:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Those sports are not part of the athletic department. It is more student government body run teams.
08-14-2020 05:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
At the very least colleges and universities can discourage intramurals and even ban them on campus to fight the pandemic especially if the same university is cancelling athletic department activities that already had testing and protocols in place.
08-14-2020 05:12 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Why is flag football stopped? How much worse is that than basketball? Or a myriad of other sports?
08-14-2020 05:16 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

(08-14-2020 04:58 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Does the Big Ten have any say or jurisdiction over club or intermural sports?

The point is that Presidents are commending the Big 10 for canceling the season for safety reasons. Now MSU is allowing intramural sports to take place. Why one and not the other? Consistency is all I'm asking for.
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Unreal.

The same presidents who voted no B1G sports are allowing intramural.

SMH
TDenverFan Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
(08-14-2020 05:16 PM)cubucks Wrote:  
(08-14-2020 04:58 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Does the Big Ten have any say or jurisdiction over club or intermural sports?

The point is that Presidents are commending the Big 10 for canceling the season for safety reasons. Now MSU is allowing intramural sports to take place. Why one and not the other? Consistency is all I'm asking for.

One of them involves travel and seeing students from other colleges, the other stays on campus. I think they should also cancel intramural sports, but it at least keeps everything within the individual college.
08-14-2020 06:12 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(08-14-2020 12:51 PM)XLance Wrote:  https://www.outkick.com/b1g-cancels-fall...-rolls-on/

The Big Ten can postpone its fall sports and break the hearts of student-athletes and fans across the league, but conference commissioner Kevin Warren can’t take away all the fun on campus this fall. Michigan State’s still scheduled to have an intramural season. Ross Winter, MSU’s Assistant Director of Recreational Sports and Fitness Services, confirms to Outkick that the school is planning to have a fall intramural season – minus flag football.

To be fair----I dont think you can hang that on the Big10. I mean, does the Big 10 have any say what so ever over campus intramural sports? Isnt that basically up to each individual school administration? Here is an interesting question----I wonder if a majority of schools in the Big10 plan to go ahead with fall intramural sports? If only a minority of schools plan to do so---that might be an excellent proxy for who voted for playing football this fall and who voted against it.
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2020 06:29 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-14-2020 06:25 PM
Advertisement

whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(08-14-2020 06:25 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(08-14-2020 12:51 PM)XLance Wrote:  https://www.outkick.com/b1g-cancels-fall...-rolls-on/

To be fair----I dont think you can hang that on the Big10. I mean, does the Big 10 have any say what so ever over campus intramural sports? Isnt that basically up to each individual school administration? Here is an interesting question----I wonder if a majority of schools in the Big10 plan to go ahead with fall intramural sports? If only a minority of schools plan to do so---that might be an excellent proxy for who voted for playing football this fall and who voted against it.

Will all intramurals be played, or just the non contact ones?
08-14-2020 07:47 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-14-2020 06:25 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

You sort of can, because what is the B1G other than the Presidents of each member school? It wasn't the B1G commissioner who decided to cancel football, he merely conveyed the will of those Presidents.

The same Presidents who also have authority over intramural sports on their campuses. So it is doubtless the case that we have presidents who think (a) Intercollegiate athletics should not be played, but (b) intramural athletics can be played.

And that's hard to square.

07-coffee3
08-14-2020 08:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.