Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The way I see FBS conferences by 2025 at this point.
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Exclamation The way I see FBS conferences by 2025 at this point.
We all know this is trying economic times but the question is how will that impact realignment by 2025 with the CFP contract is up for renewal.

The P5 is going to be under a lot of pressure to expand just to keep the money where it is right now IMO. They'll also have to expand the playoff just to keep the money that it now brings in which of course will have new pandemic clauses built in if they don't play.

Run down of the lineup changes:

SEC-(As the clubhouse leader the are probably fine)
B1G-Kansas/Syracuse (Make things more regional and must see basketball)
PAC-UT/TT/TCU/OU/UNLV (Improve the FB, UNLV gets in for market reasons)
ACC-UC/UCF/UConn (Locks up the next best 3 ACC candidates)
XII-UM/SMU/UH/BYU/CSU (Stays at 8 to maintain per school value)
AAC-USM/UAB/WKU/MTSU/Marshall (Have to build the conference together)
MAC-Stays at 12
MWC-Now at 10 (UNLV and CSU depart)
CUSA-Now at 10 (ULL moves from SBC)
SBC-Remains at 10 (NMSU joins)

Playoff: Straight 8 w/ Citrus/Alamo added as bowls.
G5 continue access bowl (but now have access to more CFP games)

The G5 I bet will accept the same access now instead of an autobid because they will have reduced in size from the present 59 schools down to 52, taking some of the very best programs away which will make it more competitive for those left behind. Plus they would be getting improved playoff access just by the move to a Top 8 ranking.

Independent is going to take a big hit if BYU and UConn find conferences. Navy will probably want to go indy again if the AAC gets hammered as I'm predicting.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2020 01:45 PM by Kit-Cat.)
08-13-2020 01:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Michael in Raleigh Online
All American

I Root For: App State
RE: The way I see FBS conferences by 2025 at this point.
The ACC has a GOR through 2036. No one is leaving the ACC anytime soon, just like Nebraska isn't leaving the Big Ten.

The Pac-12 and Big 12's GOR's expire this decade, so that's a different story.
08-13-2020 01:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
[Image: giphy.gif]

I mean, credit for shooting your shot, but you realize presidents are the ones who vote on expansion and not fans/AD's, right? There are several things on your list that are never going to happen based on academics.

USFFan
08-13-2020 01:59 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-13-2020 01:54 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  The ACC has a GOR through 2036. No one is leaving the ACC anytime soon, just like Nebraska isn't leaving the Big Ten.

The Pac-12 and Big 12's GOR's expire this decade, so that's a different story.

GOR's can be challenged and settled.

PAC expanding will force B1G's hand.
08-13-2020 02:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-13-2020 01:59 PM)usffan Wrote:  [Image: giphy.gif]

I mean, credit for shooting your shot, but you realize presidents are the ones who vote on expansion and not fans/AD's, right? There are several things on your list that are never going to happen based on academics.

USFFan

UNLV move is questionable but again I'm predicting the PAC to be desperate.
08-13-2020 02:02 PM
CoastalVANDAL Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Idaho
I see no new addition to P5 no one brings enough value.
The P5 become their own footrball division six team playoff Notre Dame is included.

Nothing really changes for the G5 except for loss of playoff money.
08-13-2020 02:03 PM
Advertisement

DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
UConn's time has passed. They know it.
08-13-2020 02:21 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
If anything the P5 will contract to increase their per share value. So the rest of it is irrelevant.
08-13-2020 03:07 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
Interesting. I would disagree that the Big 12 would break apart like that and have to refill. Why would Texas/et al go somewhere where they are making less money. More likely is some PAC schools move to the Big 12 or Texas/Kansas/OK move to the SEC.
08-13-2020 03:50 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(08-13-2020 03:50 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  Interesting. I would disagree that the Big 12 would break apart like that and have to refill. Why would Texas/et al go somewhere where they are making less money. More likely is some PAC schools move to the Big 12 or Texas/Kansas/OK move to the SEC.

Thats was my thought. It UT is going anywhere--it has to be the Big10 or SEC. Nobody else would make sense financially---plus the travel and time zones of those conferences make more sense for the UT brand. Frankly, I dont think they go anywhere. Their current location pays very well (especially with the LHN revenue figured in). They have reasonable travel---good rivalries---and probably the easiest paths to the playoff. Basically---beat Oklahoma on your way to winning the conference and your probably in. Much easier than dealing with multiple roadblocks like LSU/Bama/Auburn or Ohio St/Michigan/Mich St/Penn St, etc.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2020 04:24 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-13-2020 04:21 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-13-2020 04:21 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(08-13-2020 03:50 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  Interesting. I would disagree that the Big 12 would break apart like that and have to refill. Why would Texas/et al go somewhere where they are making less money. More likely is some PAC schools move to the Big 12 or Texas/Kansas/OK move to the SEC.

Thats was my thought. It UT is going anywhere--it has to be the Big10 or SEC. Nobody else would make sense financially---plus the travel and time zones of those conferences make more sense for the UT brand.

What about a PAC Mountain division like this?

Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas Tech, TCU, Texas

The PAC at 18 teams with two divisions at 9.

A TV contract where you retain all of your 3rd tier rights.

B1G/SEC money due to the overall importance of the conference.
08-13-2020 04:25 PM
Advertisement

schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(08-13-2020 04:25 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

Thats was my thought. It UT is going anywhere--it has to be the Big10 or SEC. Nobody else would make sense financially---plus the travel and time zones of those conferences make more sense for the UT brand.

Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas Tech, TCU, Texas

You need an 18th team if you put four of the Pac-12 teams in the Mountain division then only eight teams remain in the Pacific division.

It certainly has been discussed to have a 3rd conference to rival the SEC and Big Ten would be to essentially "merge" the Pac-12 and Big 12 but cap it at some number as a 22 team conference would be too large and you can't have a conference with California teams and West Virginia so some teams would be cut (the number of teams and the specific teams cut is a great debate).
08-13-2020 04:49 PM
Starfox207 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina
Yeah East Carolina would be in with Big 12 if this was the case.

Next,
08-13-2020 05:09 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(08-13-2020 01:43 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  We all know this is trying economic times but the question is how will that impact realignment by 2025 with the CFP contract is up for renewal.

The P5 is going to be under a lot of pressure to expand just to keep the money where it is right now IMO. They'll also have to expand the playoff just to keep the money that it now brings in which of course will have new pandemic clauses built in if they don't play.

Run down of the lineup changes:

SEC-(As the clubhouse leader the are probably fine)
B1G-Kansas/Syracuse (Make things more regional and must see basketball)
PAC-UT/TT/TCU/OU/UNLV (Improve the FB, UNLV gets in for market reasons)
ACC-UC/UCF/UConn (Locks up the next best 3 ACC candidates)
XII-UM/SMU/UH/BYU/CSU (Stays at 8 to maintain per school value)
AAC-USM/UAB/WKU/MTSU/Marshall (Have to build the conference together)
MAC-Stays at 12
MWC-Now at 10 (UNLV and CSU depart)
CUSA-Now at 10 (ULL moves from SBC)
SBC-Remains at 10 (NMSU joins)

Playoff: Straight 8 w/ Citrus/Alamo added as bowls.
G5 continue access bowl (but now have access to more CFP games)

The G5 I bet will accept the same access now instead of an autobid because they will have reduced in size from the present 59 schools down to 52, taking some of the very best programs away which will make it more competitive for those left behind. Plus they would be getting improved playoff access just by the move to a Top 8 ranking.

Independent is going to take a big hit if BYU and UConn find conferences. Navy will probably want to go indy again if the AAC gets hammered as I'm predicting.

The P5 / Notre Dame have all the power. The next step is to breakaway from The NCAA and take The AAC and Big East with them.
08-13-2020 05:21 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-13-2020 04:49 PM)schmolik Wrote:  
(08-13-2020 04:25 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

You need an 18th team if you put four of the Pac-12 teams in the Mountain division then only eight teams remain in the Pacific division.

That is where UNLV comes in to join the Washington, Oregon and California schools.

Easy on travel for a lot of them.
08-13-2020 05:54 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
This was supposed to be the the B12, SEC, ACC separate thread*
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2020 08:20 PM by Fresno St. Alum.)
08-13-2020 06:08 PM
Advertisement

Michael in Raleigh Online
All American

I Root For: App State
(08-13-2020 02:21 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  UConn's time has passed. They know it.

Yeah, I think I agree. In the event that Notre Dame ever joined in football, for good, and a 16th team was needed, UConn would now be down the list after West Virginia, Cincinnati, UCF, and even some wild cards like Houston or a football-only Navy.
08-13-2020 08:25 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-13-2020 08:25 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  
(08-13-2020 02:21 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  UConn's time has passed. They know it.

Yeah, I think I agree. In the event that Notre Dame ever joined in football, for good, and a 16th team was needed, UConn would now be down the list after West Virginia, Cincinnati, UCF, and even some wild cards like Houston or a football-only Navy.

The ploy by UConn is to dominate Big East basketball so to appear more valuable than selecting an AAC school as a fill in.

West Virginia I didn't consider. Easy to forget over there in the XII. They'd be a good addition and open to talking.
08-13-2020 08:29 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
WVU should be #1 on the ACC list if ND became a full member. Cincy probably 2, since Fla is already covered with 2 schools.
08-13-2020 08:33 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-13-2020 08:33 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  WVU should be #1 on the ACC list if ND became a full member. Cincy probably 2, since Fla is already covered with 2 schools.

Florida could use more coverage.

Look at Texas with 4 schools in the XII.

UCF/USF easily compare to Tech/TCU.
08-13-2020 09:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.