Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2021 Rose Bowl
CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
2021 Rose Bowl
[Image: 6034918929_8844840cdc_b.jpg]

With the B1G and PAC-12 bowing out, it seems it is finally time to bring the Rose Bowl back home to Durham. While I think having Coach Cutcliffe’s Duke squad take on Ole Miss, his former school now coached by ex-Trojan coach Lane Kiffin would be interesting and cause B1G and PAC-12 traditionalists to head for their fainting couches, I propose, as a nod to Duke’s 1942 Rose Bowl tussle with the currently-unavailable Oregon State Beavers, that the Blue Devils host — you guessed it —- the South Carolina Gamecocks. Now, you may say that a 5-6 Duke team taking on a 3-7 South Carolina is beneath the Rose Bowl, and to that I would just note you have to throw out the records when these old ACC rivals get together!
08-12-2020 11:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
RE: 2021 Rose Bowl
Hopefully, the 2021 Rose Bowl game will still be a CFP semifinal game.
08-12-2020 12:10 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
They even transferred the time that year — from 2pm in LA to 2pm in Durham.

Sidenote: I wonder if counterfeit tickets were a thing back then?
08-12-2020 12:58 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
The entire college football postseason is definitely going to be interesting. I'm guessing that a large number of the lesser bowls will simply be cancelled. The Sun Bowl is already talking about cancelling in the wake of the P12's postponement of its season.

I do believe the CFP and NY6 will go forward. Without the B1G and P12, ESPN should save $140 million. The ratings should not be hurt significantly though.

I agree that the CFP should stick to its play to play its semifinals in the Rose and Sugar Bowls assuming there are not significant outbreaks in those geographic areas at the time. Playing the Rose Bowl in Pasadena on New Years' Day, in particular, would provide a nice feeling of normalcy.

The Orange Bowl is the only contract bowl that is not part of the CFP this year. With the B1G waiting until spring, the SEC is guaranteed the second slot for its top school not in the CFP and the game's $30 million payout.

Without schools available from the B1G and P12 may be more difficult than usual to fill the Cotton, Fiesta and Peach. One school from the G3 (the AAC/CUSA/SBC) and the top school from the B12 not in the CFP will take up two slots. The others seem likely to come from the SEC, ACC and B12. The payouts for these games are not significant compared to the value of their broadcast ($4 million per participant) so they all seem likely to be played.

The bowls below the NY6 seem likely to have slim pickings. The SEC seems likely to fill at least 4 NY6 slots, the ACC and B12, 3-4 each, and the G3, 1-2 slots. Given concerns regarding COVID and the lack of available participants, there may be only enough interest to hold another half dozen or so games.

If there actually is a spring season, there will need to be bowl games then also. For instance, I assume the B1G and P12 would have their champions play each other, presumably in the Rose Bowl.
08-12-2020 02:23 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(08-12-2020 02:23 PM)orangefan Wrote:  The entire college football postseason is definitely going to be interesting. I'm guessing that a large number of the lesser bowls will simply be cancelled. The Sun Bowl is already talking about cancelling in the wake of the P12's postponement of its season.

I do believe the CFP and NY6 will go forward. Without the B1G and P12, ESPN should save $140 million. The ratings should not be hurt significantly though.

I agree that the CFP should stick to its play to play its semifinals in the Rose and Sugar Bowls assuming there are not significant outbreaks in those geographic areas at the time. Playing the Rose Bowl in Pasadena on New Years' Day, in particular, would provide a nice feeling of normalcy.

The Orange Bowl is the only contract bowl that is not part of the CFP this year. With the B1G waiting until spring, the SEC is guaranteed the second slot for its top school not in the CFP and the game's $30 million payout.

Without schools available from the B1G and P12 may be more difficult than usual to fill the Cotton, Fiesta and Peach. One school from the G3 (the AAC/CUSA/SBC) and the top school from the B12 not in the CFP will take up two slots. The others seem likely to come from the SEC, ACC and B12. The payouts for these games are not significant compared to the value of their broadcast ($4 million per participant) so they all seem likely to be played.

The bowls below the NY6 seem likely to have slim pickings. The SEC seems likely to fill at least 4 NY6 slots, the ACC and B12, 3-4 each, and the G3, 1-2 slots. Given concerns regarding COVID and the lack of available participants, there may be only enough interest to hold another half dozen or so games.

If there actually is a spring season, there will need to be bowl games then also. For instance, I assume the B1G and P12 would have their champions play each other, presumably in the Rose Bowl.

Throw out the rule book and let the bowls pick who they want in their games especially the bowls contracted out to the conferences that cancelled their seasons. Fill the lowest bowls with anyone they can get even if they have losing seasons as a reward for hanging in there for the season. 04-cheers
08-13-2020 01:24 PM
Advertisement

CenterSquarEd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Siena
If the B1G, Pac-12, MWC, and MAC do play spring seasons, do the rules allow for spring bowl games? If the 2021 Rose Bowl Game stays a January 1st CFP semifinal for the remaining conferences, can they stage *another* 2021 Rose Bowl Game at the end of the spring for the B1G and Pac-12 champions to meet? Can the Holiday Bowl or another game decide to move to the spring and take that spot?
08-14-2020 06:21 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-12-2020 02:23 PM)orangefan Wrote:  The Orange Bowl is the only contract bowl that is not part of the CFP this year. With the B1G waiting until spring, the SEC is guaranteed the second slot for its top school not in the CFP and the game's $30 million payout.

I wonder .... are the Irish still eligible for the "non-ACC" slot in the Orange Bowl? I know they are eligible for the ACC slot this year, but does that mean they aren't still eligible on the other side with the B1G and SEC?

If they are, it is possible an ACC team could play Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl.

Just asking ....
08-14-2020 07:53 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(08-14-2020 07:53 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(08-12-2020 02:23 PM)orangefan Wrote:  The Orange Bowl is the only contract bowl that is not part of the CFP this year. With the B1G waiting until spring, the SEC is guaranteed the second slot for its top school not in the CFP and the game's $30 million payout.

I wonder .... are the Irish still eligible for the "non-ACC" slot in the Orange Bowl? I know they are eligible for the ACC slot this year, but does that mean they aren't still eligible on the other side with the B1G and SEC?

If they are, it is possible an ACC team could play Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl.

Just asking ....

Or, if they are eligible for both, maybe they could just play with themselves. 07-coffee3
08-14-2020 12:29 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
For the love of God, play it where people can actually park.

You can park at CF and they can add a few bleachers to seat 65K

You can't park in Durham if the crowd is larger than 25K
08-14-2020 01:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.