Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would Nebraska leave the Big Ten if that allowed them to play football this fall?
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Would Nebraska leave the Big Ten if that allowed them to play football this fall?
Not just the football coach, but the university president and chancellor signed on to this statement of rebellion.

Quote:Nebraska football coach Scott Frost, president Ted Carter and chancellor Ronnie Green released a joint statement Tuesday afternoon saying they would hope to still possibly compete this fall.

"We will continue to consult with medical experts and evaluate the situation as it emerges," the statement read. "We hope it may be possible for our student athletes to have the opportunity to compete."
Quote:"We are very disappointed in the decision by the Big Ten Conference to postpone the fall football season, as we have been and continue to be ready to play," the statement read.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...-play-fall
08-11-2020 03:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: Would Nebraska leave the Big Ten if that allowed them to play football this fall?
To "leave" the Big Ten over this would truly be "cutting your nose off to spite your face."
08-11-2020 03:26 PM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
RE: Would Nebraska leave the Big Ten if that allowed them to play football this fall?
Couldn't they just play indy for the fall?

Certainly a scheduling alliance with Big XII schools would be easy.
08-11-2020 03:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
Maryland can schedule WV and some ACC schools. Nebraska can easily fill the schedule along with Iowa. Is ACC doing non-conference? SEC I don't think is, but if enough schools in the B1G break rank they can fill out their schedules. The only thing is can these schools schedule enough fire power to contend for the playoff? That to me is the deal breaker for one off "independents" aside from ND.
08-11-2020 03:33 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(08-11-2020 03:29 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  Certainly a scheduling alliance with Big XII schools would be easy.

No it wouldn't. The Big 12 would rather see Nebraska burn than help them. Too much bad blood between the two entities.
08-11-2020 04:10 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Whoever thinking there is still a chance for a playoffs is not living in reality. Playoffs is the least of college football concerns right now.
08-11-2020 04:12 PM
Advertisement

Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(08-11-2020 04:12 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  Whoever thinking there is still a chance for a playoffs is not living in reality. Playoffs is the least of college football concerns right now.

The Big 10/PAC can have the Rose Bowl in the spring.

The Sugar Bowl can be the championship game.
08-11-2020 04:18 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
(08-11-2020 04:12 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  Whoever thinking there is still a chance for a playoffs is not living in reality. Playoffs is the least of college football concerns right now.

It will basically be a champions bowl in New Orleans. Winners play the following weekend. Same for the B1G and PAC12 in the spring. But where would ND and Clemson fit into the picture? That is three Champs plus a wild card, say the SEC West runner up? It's probably pushing it, not completely out of the realm of possibility.

I can also see the ACC going to spring and getting a four team playoff without the Big 12 and SEC. I also think Iowa and UN in the Big 12 this year is still a possibility, albeit remote. The Big 12 needs that extra game and nobody fits the bill better than those two.
08-11-2020 04:19 PM
PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
(08-11-2020 04:10 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 03:29 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  Certainly a scheduling alliance with Big XII schools would be easy.

No it wouldn't. The Big 12 would rather see Nebraska burn than help them. Too much bad blood between the two entities.

Maybe not -- Deloss Dodds is long gone.

If NU is wanting to play, and both sides negotiate in good faith, it would be easy to add NU and at least one other for this year. The adds may or may not be in the conference title chase, though, unless they join permanently.
08-11-2020 04:21 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
BXII should pull a power play and tell Nebraska "you're in only if you come on board indefinitely". Add Cincinnati for #12, and you've got the North/South split again...except this time you can protect Oklahoma/Nebraska as an annual game now that the BXII plays 9.
08-11-2020 04:25 PM
46566 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Gonzaga
(08-11-2020 04:18 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  

The Big 10/PAC can have the Rose Bowl in the spring.

The Sugar Bowl can be the championship game.

Assuming for some reason we get a playoff why would you crown a champion this year? The best option would be for regional bowl games at best. Assuming no conference or school drops out now I think not every bowl can be filled unless you temporary let any remaining FCS schools to fill spots if need be. Market the CFB season as a going back to the olden days of football and have just a old regular bowl season.
08-11-2020 04:27 PM
Advertisement

Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(08-11-2020 03:33 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  Maryland can schedule WV and some ACC schools. Nebraska can easily fill the schedule along with Iowa. Is ACC doing non-conference? SEC I don't think is, but if enough schools in the B1G break rank they can fill out their schedules. The only thing is can these schools schedule enough fire power to contend for the playoff? That to me is the deal breaker for one off "independents" aside from ND.

No Maryland can't schedule any ACC schools because additions require conference approval this year.
08-11-2020 04:53 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(08-11-2020 04:21 PM)PlayBall! Wrote:  

If NU is wanting to play, and both sides negotiate in good faith, it would be easy to add NU and at least one other for this year. The adds may or may not be in the conference title chase, though, unless they join permanently.

We'd take Nebraska back, especially on a one-year basis. I'm not sure if Nebraska wants to deal with Texas, but the administration is different at both schools. Nonetheless, the door is open on our end. I hope. Bring the Bugeaters back.

Nebraska spent several years taking less B1G money so they could buy their equity in BTN. Would they be willing to walk away from that by permanently leaving the B1G? Would the B1G and Nebraska be able to settle?
08-11-2020 05:11 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
This is political, not medical advise drive, and they even say so. We all know who is lobbying for this.
08-11-2020 05:25 PM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
Hidden Dragon - Upon what basis do you feel the current Big XII powers that be would not welcome them back? Everybody I know that remains connected in Austin these days indicates Nebraska would be a welcome addition. Remember it was the folks in Lincoln who left mad and were not forced out.
08-11-2020 05:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(08-11-2020 04:21 PM)PlayBall! Wrote:  

Like I said, the Big 12 would rather see Nebraska burn in hell! Nebraska left for greener pastures and that's the bed they'll have to continue to lie in.
08-11-2020 06:07 PM
Advertisement

PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
Shy RE: Would Nebraska leave the Big Ten if that allowed them to play football this fall?
From the Big XII: (Un)Official Invite to NU and one other!

Let's talk! :-)

And let's consider doing round-robin forever, not just this year, to eliminate an old issue.

CU -- don't wait too long to call as well; you snooze, you lose (to Iowa, Utah, Penn State, or ???).
08-11-2020 06:22 PM
UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-11-2020 06:22 PM)PlayBall! Wrote:  From the Big XII: (Un)Official Invite to NU and one other!

And let's consider doing round-robin forever, not just this year, to eliminate an old issue.

CU -- don't wait too long to call as well; you snooze, you lose (to Iowa, Utah, Penn State, or ???).

Neb and Col back to the Big 12 would return life back to normal. Miz and A&M are where they belong.
08-11-2020 06:24 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(08-11-2020 06:24 PM)UABGrad Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 06:22 PM)PlayBall! Wrote:  From the Big XII: (Un)Official Invite to NU and one other!

Neb and Col back to the Big 12 would return life back to normal. Miz and A&M are where they belong.
Colorado doesn’t fit the culture of the big 12 anymore
08-11-2020 06:29 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Kevin Warren didn't answer the question about Big Ten programs going rogue when he was interviewed live right after the decision, but he answers it here:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...-play-fall
Quote:Asked Tuesday about Nebraska's statement, commissioner Kevin Warren told ESPN's Heather Dinich, "We have 14 schools in the Big Ten conference. I appreciate the passion of all of our schools. I didn't expect all of our coaches to be ecstatic that the decision was made, so I understand they're passionate. ... My expectation is that when you're in a conference, you can't be in a conference and be an independent. That's where we are. I expect for our 14 members to go forward together."

Boom. Your move, Huskers.
08-11-2020 06:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.