Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNCW suspends Fall sports
Bookmark and Share
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Men's soccer, women's soccer, volleyball, men's cross country and women's cross country will all look to play in the spring.

https://uncwsports.com/news/2020/8/10/ad...ition.aspx

Seahawks Suspend Fall Sports Competition

WILMINGTON, North Carolina – Following a recent directive by the NCAA Board of Governors, and with the health, safety and well-being of its student-athletes a top priority, UNCW Athletics is suspending competition of its fall sports programs.

The sports of men's soccer, women's soccer, volleyball, men's cross country and women's cross country will continue to prepare for an expected spring season.

Students are returning to campus for the opening of classes on Wednesday, Aug. 19. All of UNCW's winter and spring sports teams, including men's and women's basketball, remain on schedule.

On Aug. 5, the NCAA Board of Governors issued a statement listing specific requirements to participate in fall sports during the preseason, regular season and post season, including (1) guidance for each division to make its decision on championships (2) criteria for at least 50 percent of eligible institutions to sponsor a championship (3) a decision on fall sports championship by Aug. 21 and (4) establishing strict return-to-sport medical protocol and testing.

UNCW Director of Athletics Jimmy Bass

"We have been determined throughout the summer to mirror the NCAA's championship calendar and compete in fall sports pursuant to all medical and safety guidelines. With this latest issuance from the NCAA, we will pause, but fully intend to play our fall sports in the spring.

"The personal safety and well-being of our coaches, student-athletes and staff remains a top priority for us. We will continue to provide a safe environment through established protocols as we navigate these difficult circumstances."
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2020 03:31 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
08-10-2020 03:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

geewizNU Offline
All American

I Root For: Northeastern
RE: UNCW suspends Fall sports
It's the right thing to do ...
08-10-2020 03:54 PM
Proff Offline
1st String

Agreed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
08-10-2020 05:05 PM
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
125 Covid19 deaths NATIONWIDE for ages 15-24 from Feb1- June 17. There were a total of 10,968 deaths in this age group total druing that period. This is nonsense, ignorant, anti- science and the opposite of what any institute of higher learning should do. I am embarassed for UNCW and every college that is acting in this manner. We should be leading the country by acting on facts, not fear. The end.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2020 05:35 PM by 82hawk.)
08-10-2020 05:34 PM
getmhawks Offline
2nd String

(08-10-2020 05:34 PM)82hawk Wrote:  125 Covid19 deaths NATIONWIDE for ages 15-24 from Feb1- June 17. There were a total of 10,968 deaths in this age group total druing that period. This is nonsense, ignorant, anti- science and the opposite of what any institute of higher learning should do. I am embarassed for UNCW and every college that is acting in this manner. We should be leading the country by acting on facts, not fear. The end.

If you think about it...we are a leading country, right? The leading country?
08-10-2020 05:49 PM
Advertisement

geewizNU Offline
All American

I Root For: Northeastern
Did any of you guys feel that earthquake?

I hope nobody's home was damaged.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2020 06:42 PM by geewizNU.)
08-10-2020 06:39 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(08-10-2020 03:28 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  With this latest issuance from the NCAA, we will pause, but fully intend to play our fall sports in the spring.

What is the logic behind assuming that the situation will be so substantially different in the spring? Much less for the winter sports ?
08-10-2020 07:11 PM
Advertisement

Proff Offline
1st String

(08-10-2020 06:39 PM)geewizNU Wrote:  Did any of you guys feel that earthquake?

I hope nobody's home was damaged.
I think few of us along the coast felt a whole lot. It was centered northwest of Winston-Salem near the VA border - about 300 miles. Honestly, the quake in VA a few years ago was felt a little more.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
08-10-2020 07:21 PM
Big Alpha Hawk Offline
Bench Warmer

I feel like the only reason UNCW cancelled is because they know NCAA will suspend all fall championships so there is no tournament to shoot for. Volleyball, Soccer, Xc would have their championships in spring so that is when our teams need to play. Funny how college kids cant play soccer against each other but millions of 3 to 18 year old kids across US can
08-11-2020 09:11 AM
HawkAlum Offline
Water Engineer

Let’s be real they postponed because if any student athlete gets COVID they’re on the hook for any medical bills. That paired with the thought that fall championships won’t happen is why they pull the plugged. High risk zero reward
08-12-2020 02:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.