Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Spring 2021 MAC football season
Bookmark and Share
PaulJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
Spring 2021 MAC football season
If it happens -and that is a BIG IF - perhaps it would be 8 game regular season with MACC game from early April to end of May?

No saying that's the only model, plus there would remain major challenges, but that one would seen to work??
08-09-2020 12:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

utrocks84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: Spring 2021 MAC football season
When would the 2021 Fall season start? 2-3 months later? no off season development or really any time for the normal surgeries and rehabs there is during spring and summer for any players either other than conditioning for those healthy enough to do right after a season? I'm sure they wouldn't allow teams to have padded contact practice while canceling the season in the fall or early winter. If they did they might as well play a season. If the SEC or ACC have a season how much farther ahead would their player development be? I believe if they do have a spring season it will be inter-league play also as Paul stated as one option.
08-09-2020 02:30 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(08-09-2020 02:30 PM)utrocks84 Wrote:  When would the 2021 Fall season start? 2-3 months later? no off season development or really any time for the normal surgeries and rehabs there is during spring and summer for any players either other than conditioning for those healthy enough to do right after a season? I'm sure they wouldn't allow teams to have padded contact practice while canceling the season in the fall or early winter. If they did they might as well play a season. If the SEC or ACC have a season how much farther ahead would their player development be? I believe if they do have a spring season it will be inter-league play also as Paul stated as one option.

I doubt there are bi laws against this. Practice whenever you can. Stay safe. Play a mini season if you want for (player development). But I'm banking on a bunch of rowdy pissed off kids kicking ass next fall. Go rockets.
08-09-2020 04:50 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
a side impact of everything, but possibly the most important, is that this pandemic has made conferences and players step up and take more leadership in college sports, thus, resetting the line with the ncaa. the ncaa has shown itself to be what it is, a bloated executive that profits highly off television monies but doesn't do much beyond insvestigations and some aspects of national tournament planning and execution. it is really only powerful as long as everyone goes along with it. but when there is a need and movement for changes in college sports that involves player input, health decisions, organizing among members,... the ncaa hasn't been able to fill that space. most of their high paid people aren't very good at doing those things. i think we will see college sports start to take some new forms in the next year. some will be temporary and some will be lasting.

on that angle. the only american sports activities working well right now and not serving to spread the virus is the NBA and WNBA bubbles. (maybe, outdoor NASCAR, but they aren't testing and tracking most folks in and out, so who knows, plus, there's the is car racing really a sport thing). The bubble works with hoops because the teams are small. the coaching and support staffs are minimal. and it doesn't require as much space as most other sports.the MAC or other groupings of NCAA teams could stage the college season in a series of bubbles. 8 or 16 team tournaments packing a bunch of games into a short window and only accepting completely COVID negative players, staff, media. you could do 5 or 6 MAC tournaments instead of 1 season. you could even play some games in large arenas in front of small socially distanced crowds, bands, students. teams would spend 4 or 5 days in the bubble and then return to campus or online learning. anywhere with the capacity to have a couple good quality courts and enough secure sanitized housing and services for a few hundred people could host. Unused dorm or hotel capacity could be carefully filled. each host would receive a little economic bump from the week. the games would be marketable to TV because of the tournament format.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2020 09:36 PM by pono.)
08-09-2020 09:34 PM
bigdatut98 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TOLEDO
I just hope that if they do play sometime in early 2021, they do it on Saturdays.
08-09-2020 09:50 PM
Advertisement

utrocks84 Offline
Special Teams

(08-09-2020 09:34 PM)pono Wrote:  a side impact of everything, but possibly the most important, is that this pandemic has made conferences and players step up and take more leadership in college sports, thus, resetting the line with the ncaa. the ncaa has shown itself to be what it is, a bloated executive that profits highly off television monies but doesn't do much beyond insvestigations and some aspects of national tournament planning and execution. it is really only powerful as long as everyone goes along with it. but when there is a need and movement for changes in college sports that involves player input, health decisions, organizing among members,... the ncaa hasn't been able to fill that space. most of their high paid people aren't very good at doing those things. i think we will see college sports start to take some new forms in the next year. some will be temporary and some will be lasting.

on that angle. the only american sports activities working well right now and not serving to spread the virus is the NBA and WNBA bubbles. (maybe, outdoor NASCAR, but they aren't testing and tracking most folks in and out, so who knows, plus, there's the is car racing really a sport thing). The bubble works with hoops because the teams are small. the coaching and support staffs are minimal. and it doesn't require as much space as most other sports.the MAC or other groupings of NCAA teams could stage the college season in a series of bubbles. 8 or 16 team tournaments packing a bunch of games into a short window and only accepting completely COVID negative players, staff, media. you could do 5 or 6 MAC tournaments instead of 1 season. you could even play some games in large arenas in front of small socially distanced crowds, bands, students. teams would spend 4 or 5 days in the bubble and then return to campus or online learning. anywhere with the capacity to have a couple good quality courts and enough secure sanitized housing and services for a few hundred people could host. Unused dorm or hotel capacity could be carefully filled. each host would receive a little economic bump from the week. the games would be marketable to TV because of the tournament format.

I assume your second paragraph is talking about a basketball scenario?
08-09-2020 10:05 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(08-09-2020 09:50 PM)bigdatut98 Wrote:  I just hope that if they do play sometime in early 2021, they do it on Saturdays.

I find it hard to believe any spring 2021 CFB season will overlap with NCAA MBB tournament, so thinking of early/mid April start to end of May, gives 8 week season.

But agree there are many issues and challenges with a spring CFB season, I have my doubts as to whether it actually happens or is even a good idea, but it could be done and easy for NCAA to waive and rules about player practice and game time in spring and calendar year. But lets be realistic if it happens the reason will be $$$$$$$ none other.
08-10-2020 09:51 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Who’s going to attend Rocket games if they conflict with baseball or tennis?
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2020 09:53 AM by H2Oville Rocket.)
08-10-2020 09:52 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(08-10-2020 09:52 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  Who’s going to attend Rocket games if they conflict with baseball or tennis?

04-jawdrop
08-10-2020 09:54 AM
Advertisement

Michigan Rocket Offline
Special Teams

Suppose for a moment that there is Spring Football. My question is will we be able to attend the games? I know there is no plan in place. I'm just throwing it out there.

I hope we all stay healthy and.... GO ROCKETS!!!
08-10-2020 10:01 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(08-10-2020 10:01 AM)Michigan Rocket Wrote:  Suppose for a moment that there is Spring Football. My question is will we be able to attend the games? I know there is no plan in place. I'm just throwing it out there.

no one knows what covid-19 will look like that far out, would be pure speculation at this point
08-10-2020 10:39 AM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

(08-10-2020 10:39 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  
(08-10-2020 10:01 AM)Michigan Rocket Wrote:  Suppose for a moment that there is Spring Football. My question is will we be able to attend the games? I know there is no plan in place. I'm just throwing it out there.

no one knows what covid-19 will look like that far out, would be pure speculation at this point

We've been searching for answers for damn near 6 months now. It's 2020 and we're letting a virus win this World War III. All this technology and still nothing...

Wear your masks and let's all unite to beat this damn thing.
08-10-2020 11:52 AM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

(08-09-2020 04:50 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Play a mini season if you want for (player development).

Obviously money is at the forefront of missed opportunities of a canceled season, but player development is right up there as well. I know all too well what an entire year of no real live competition can do to an athlete.
08-10-2020 12:04 PM
Advertisement

RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(08-10-2020 09:52 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  Who’s going to attend Rocket games if they conflict with baseball or tennis?

Sadly, I'd probably opt for tennis...
08-10-2020 03:17 PM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(08-10-2020 03:17 PM)RangerRocket Wrote:  

So then a countdown for when tennis season starts is in order...03-yawn
08-10-2020 03:24 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

On big issue with Spring sports is, does the University have a capacity to run all the sports at the same time. I imagine if you try to run FB, MBB, WBB, VB, Soccer, Softball, Baseball, Tennis, Track, Swimming and Golf all at the same time, it is going to put a strain on the training and medical staffs especially, administrative staffs that arrange travel and whatnot, facility management, etc. If you try to say you are only going to play some sports in the spring, then you run into the fairness problems of Title IX and such. Not an easy solution to implement.
08-10-2020 04:35 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

Key dates for Spring football.....

NFL Combine starts March 4th
NFL Draft starts April 29th.

Possible Preseason Rookie Mini Camps if COVID is under control start at the end of May.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2020 05:06 PM by utpotts.)
08-10-2020 05:03 PM
Advertisement

MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
(08-10-2020 03:17 PM)RangerRocket Wrote:  

Good for you. 03-thumbsup
08-10-2020 05:25 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(08-10-2020 05:03 PM)utpotts Wrote:  Key dates for Spring football.....

NFL Combine starts March 4th
NFL Draft starts April 29th.

Possible Preseason Rookie Mini Camps if COVID is under control start at the end of May.

NCAA and NFL could agree to push those dates back OR already likely many top draft prospects would skip a spring CFB season anyways. So I don't see those as barriers, but there are many others to a spring CFB.
08-11-2020 03:13 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Now that the others have caved, MAC should switch gears, go private, lease facilities, pay the players willing to play Fall Ball. TV $$$

Can we have this in Midnight Blue & Gold?

(This post was last modified: 08-11-2020 03:46 PM by eastisbest.)
08-11-2020 03:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.