https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/m...story.html
08-09-2020 07:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IamYourDad Offline
Banned

I Root For: UCF
RE: UCF Player Rebellion because of Virus
Good. They’re going to be the ones out there risking their health. If they don’t feel the procedures are good enough then they should call out the conference/school. Hopefully something is done about it, but if we are halting practice a month away from the season we are doomed
08-09-2020 08:45 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
As they learn more about the consequences of this virus they are also learning that there may be some long-term health effects. It's going to affect both the young and the old --- and athletes whose performance depends not just on their brains but on their lungs and their hearts. They know now that all of these organs can be affected at least in the short-term and possibly in the long-term by Covid 19.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2020 09:32 AM by TIGERCITY.)
08-09-2020 09:31 AM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
(08-09-2020 09:31 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  As they learn more about the consequences of this virus they are also learning that there may be some long-term health effects. It's going to affect both the young and the old --- and athletes whose performance depends not just on their brains but on their lungs and their hearts. They know now that all of these organs can be affected at least in the short-term and possibly in the long-term by Covid 19.

I do not agree. The people who have sat on the sidelines for the last six months seem to be oblivious to the many workers that have kept working. There was no hazard pay or 600 dollar bonus unemployment. Personally, I do not think the virus is that dangerous to the overwhelming majority. If you are scared to play, take the year off.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2020 10:37 AM by rosewater.)
08-09-2020 10:36 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
It’s really just that simple. ^^^
08-09-2020 10:56 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

Here's an academic article from August 1st - an informative read for the uninitiated.

"From brain fog to heart conditions CoVid 19's lingering problems alarm scientists."

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/...scientists
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2020 11:40 AM by TIGERCITY.)
08-09-2020 11:38 AM
Advertisement

rosewater Offline
Heisman

(08-09-2020 11:38 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Here's an academic article from August 1st - an informative read for the uninitiated.

"From brain fog to heart conditions CoVid 19's lingering problems alarm scientists."

Yes, but we are initiated (in my best imitated Bane voice). Are we waiting on a vaccine? I would like a bright line about the amount of acceptable risk. It will never be zero. I am willing to risk a little brain fog to return to normalcy.
08-09-2020 11:52 AM
Fishpro10987 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
(08-09-2020 11:52 AM)rosewater Wrote:  
(08-09-2020 11:38 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Here's an academic article from August 1st - an informative read for the uninitiated.

Yes, but we are initiated (in my best imitated Bane voice). Are we waiting on a vaccine? I would like a bright line about the amount of acceptable risk. It will never be zero. I am willing to risk a little brain fog to return to normalcy.

The risk is a lot higher than a little bit of 'brain fog'. Clearly some significant percentage (10-15%) of Covid recovering patients are experiencing long term medical issues. Bottom line, you don't want to take chances with this virus.
08-09-2020 12:54 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

and here's an academic paper on Covid 19's tendency to cause atypical stroke. Which makes sense since ACE2 receptors, the viruses entry point into the cell, line blood vessels - the inflammation causes blood vessels to break down and clots to form.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/...120.031265
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2020 02:04 PM by TIGERCITY.)
08-09-2020 01:59 PM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
The demands seem to be coming from a minority of players on a minority of the teams (one) in the AAC. I could be wrong, but I think most of the players want to play this fall.
08-09-2020 02:25 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
The players unwilling to take any risk are welcome to sit out without penalty. Once informed of the facts and risks and benefits , the remaining players - all adults- should make their own decisions.
08-09-2020 02:51 PM
Advertisement

rosewater Offline
Heisman

(08-09-2020 12:54 PM)Fishpro10987 Wrote:  
(08-09-2020 11:52 AM)rosewater Wrote:  

The risk is a lot higher than a little bit of 'brain fog'. Clearly some significant percentage (10-15%) of Covid recovering patients are experiencing long term medical issues. Bottom line, you don't want to take chances with this virus.

Not worried. All four members of my immediate family have worked in high risk areas for the last six months. We have vacationed in Tennessee and North Carolina in the last month. We are going to be fine. Unlike the players, Most workers cannot opt out of work and still get paid. If the players feel unsafe, they should opt out without penalty. The funny thing, football is not exactly a risk adverse sport anyway.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2020 03:03 PM by rosewater.)
08-09-2020 03:02 PM
BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(08-09-2020 02:51 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  The players unwilling to take any risk are welcome to sit out without penalty. Once informed of the facts and risks and benefits , the remaining players - all adults- should make their own decisions.

There is always a risk...and I'm NOT talking about a virus here.

The risk is that you might get "Pipped." Wally Pipp got hurt and missed a game and his replacement passed him up while he was on the bench.

Part of the demands of the players is that they will "remain on the team" and that their positions will not be jeopardized. It's just not possible. If some sort of season IS played and a player passes you while you're "sitting out," what is a coach supposed to do? If, while a player is "sitting out," they get out of shape or whatever, and another player beats them coming back, what recourse does a coach have?

There are repercussions in playing, there are repercussions in "sitting out." You cannot promise these kids otherwise.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2020 03:19 PM by BearcatJerry.)
08-09-2020 03:10 PM
mikeinoki Offline
Gone to Seed

I Root For: JDB
(08-09-2020 01:59 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  

and here's an academic paper on Covid 19's tendency to cause atypical stroke. Which makes sense since ACE2 receptors, the viruses entry point into the cell, line blood vessels - the inflammation causes blood vessels to break down and clots to form.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/...120.031265

Not saying there aren't long term effects, but that last study was for covid/stroke victims with a mean age of 67.4
08-09-2020 03:47 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
If any of these athletes think they are more at risk than an existence apart from the controlled environment of their teams, they are delirious. Hazardous pay, my ass!
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2020 04:57 PM by Atlanta.)
08-09-2020 04:56 PM
panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
If Im the coach I bench every GD one of them.
08-09-2020 05:03 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Here's the question, already asked elsewhere by others.

If the players aren't safe playing football in a controlled environment with regular testing, how are they safer by hanging out with their friends in a completely uncontrolled environment in the same time frame?

Does anybody seriously think if these players don't attend college or play football, that they're going to all stay home and isolate themselves until we have an effective vaccine, or a cure?
08-09-2020 06:35 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
I’d thank them for their time, tell them they are welcome to stay on scholarship this year and hand them paperwork to enter the transfer portal.
08-09-2020 06:47 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Realistically, I think it’s going to be hard to keep the players unified across the conference and nationwide. It doesn’t feel like an organized movement yet.

On principle, I support what the players are doing and wish them the best of luck. They should be protected against covid and be covered by medical if something happens. These waivers are BS. We are way overdue on paying players
08-09-2020 07:10 PM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(08-09-2020 09:31 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  As they learn more about the consequences of this virus they are also learning that there may be some long-term health effects. It's going to affect both the young and the old --- and athletes whose performance depends not just on their brains but on their lungs and their hearts. They know now that all of these organs can be affected at least in the short-term and possibly in the long-term by Covid 19.

So are you saying that college athletes are smarter than professional athletes from the Marlins? 03-wink 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2020 07:15 PM by GoOwls111.)
08-09-2020 07:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.