Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC cancels their season
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
MAC cancels their season
https://watchstadium.com/sources-mac-can...8-08-2020/

Quote:The Mid-American Conference has canceled its football season this fall because of player health and safety concerns regarding COVID-19, sources told Stadium.

The 12-member MAC is the first Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) conference opting not to play this fall. On Wednesday, UConn, an independent, became the first FBS school to announce it would not play this year.

The MAC reached its decision Saturday morning in a vote by the league’s presidents, sources said. The conference presidents initially met Thursday to finalize the league’s scheduling format. However, Northern Illinois president Lisa Freeman, a former research scientist at the University of Rochester School of Medicine, indicated her school would not play this fall because of the health and safety concerns, sources said.

“The league didn’t like the look of NIU going out on their own and not playing,” said a source, explaining the MAC’s non-vote on Thursday.
08-08-2020 09:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
RE: MAC cancels their season
(08-08-2020 09:23 AM)tigerjeb Wrote:  https://watchstadium.com/sources-mac-can...8-08-2020/

Quote:The Mid-American Conference has canceled its football season this fall because of player health and safety concerns regarding COVID-19, sources told Stadium.

The 12-member MAC is the first Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) conference opting not to play this fall. On Wednesday, UConn, an independent, became the first FBS school to announce it would not play this year.

The MAC reached its decision Saturday morning in a vote by the league’s presidents, sources said. The conference presidents initially met Thursday to finalize the league’s scheduling format. However, Northern Illinois president Lisa Freeman, a former research scientist at the University of Rochester School of Medicine, indicated her school would not play this fall because of the health and safety concerns, sources said.

“The league didn’t like the look of NIU going out on their own and not playing,” said a source, explaining the MAC’s non-vote on Thursday.
Good for her, making a stand on putting player's safety first.

I'm sure the money drying up from buy games didn't help, but I like my take better

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
08-08-2020 09:24 AM
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
you do have to wonder with that financial hit, how many of the shaky MAC schools (Kent, Akron, Eastern Michigan) will return to FBS football
08-08-2020 09:29 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I'll bet Notre Dame calls up Navy now, looking to fill that empty date in South Bend.

I hope Navy doesn't take the call.
08-08-2020 09:31 AM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

MAC cancels their season
I'd be fine dropping a directional Michigan and grabbing Illinois State. We need an instate rival, and a true rival at that

08-08-2020 09:31 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(08-08-2020 09:29 AM)tigerjeb Wrote:  you do have to wonder with that financial hit, how many of the shaky MAC schools (Kent, Akron, Eastern Michigan) will return to FBS football

Liberty and JMU might have their best shot at joining an fbs conference post corona with this news.
08-08-2020 10:16 AM
Advertisement

coogrfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
(08-08-2020 09:24 AM)Stay Cool Wrote:  
(08-08-2020 09:23 AM)tigerjeb Wrote:  https://watchstadium.com/sources-mac-can...8-08-2020/

I'm sure the money drying up from buy games didn't help, but I like my take better

Besides the health and safety concerns, the MAC was one of the leagues most impacted financially by the Power Five’s decision to eliminate or reduce non-conference games. The MAC had 11 games canceled against Big Ten members, costing MAC schools a combined $10.5 million. Bowling Green State lost $2.2 million, Central Michigan lost $2.15 million, Kent State lost $1.5 million and NIU lost $1.1 million.
08-08-2020 10:29 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:

Supposedly NIU didn't have money for testing. Midweek games has killed their attendance. No money games was real kicker.
08-08-2020 10:33 AM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

(08-08-2020 10:33 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

Supposedly NIU didn't have money for testing. Midweek games has killed their attendance. No money games was real kicker.
That's not at all what I was hearing, especially since they had partnered with Kishwaukee Medical (local hospital and regional medical presence) to provide testing for players. You got a source?

08-08-2020 10:37 AM
BraveKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
(08-08-2020 09:31 AM)Stay Cool Wrote:  I'd be fine dropping a directional Michigan and grabbing Illinois State. We need an instate rival, and a true rival at that

MAC should add Illinois State, NDSU, and SDSU in place of EMU, Akron, and Kent State.
08-08-2020 10:44 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(08-08-2020 09:31 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I'll bet Notre Dame calls up Navy now, looking to fill that empty date in South Bend.

Probably not.

Probably just shitcan the +1 game or call BYU or Army.

P.S. Navy would take the call. The two schools have a great relationship. Navy and ND just extended their annual series through 2032.

Does that sound like a piqued and petulant Navy that would not take ND's call?

P.P.S. ND was hamstrung by the ACC's non-conference game rules for 2020. ND very much wanted to play Navy in 2020.

Even Navy agreed that ND's hands were tied.

See why ND doesn't want to join a football conference? Too much control by a conference over schedules, for one reason.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2020 11:26 AM by TerryD.)
08-08-2020 11:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

(08-08-2020 11:21 AM)TerryD Wrote:  
(08-08-2020 09:31 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I'll bet Notre Dame calls up Navy now, looking to fill that empty date in South Bend.

Probably not.

P.S. Navy would take the call. The two schools have a great relationship. Navy and ND just extended their annual series through 2032.

P.P.S. ND was hamstrung by the ACC's non-conference game rules for 2020. ND very much wanted to play Navy in 2020.

See why ND doesn't want to join a football conference? Too much control by a conference over schedules, for one reason.

Agree. Frankly, I was surprised the Navy game got dumped. I figured that was the one ND would almost surely hang on to because of the strong bond between the two programs. It was really just an odd set of circumstances involved on this one.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2020 12:04 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-08-2020 12:04 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
The troubling news has the potential of the creating a domino effect. College presidents are lemmings and terrified of bad press.

I believe the B10 meets soon to discuss football this season. Only the prospect of angering fans and donors and collectively losing hundreds of millions of dollars keeps them from pulling the trigger, IMO.
08-08-2020 12:15 PM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(08-08-2020 12:15 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  The troubling news has the potential of the creating a domino effect. College presidents are lemmings and terrified of bad press.

I believe the B10 meets soon to discuss football this season. Only the prospect of angering fans and donors and collectively losing hundreds of millions of dollars keeps them from pulling the trigger, IMO.

Lots of heavily sourced guys up where I live in northern Ohio and southeast Michigan are saying there is an incredible upswing in the momentum for a shift to the spring.
08-08-2020 12:21 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(08-08-2020 12:21 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(08-08-2020 12:15 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  The troubling news has the potential of the creating a domino effect. College presidents are lemmings and terrified of bad press.

Lots of heavily sourced guys up where I live in northern Ohio and southeast Michigan are saying there is an incredible upswing in the momentum for a shift to the spring.

I maybe wrong about a meeting, but they did issue a release date extending the “acclimatization period“. https://bigten.org/news/2020/8/8/general...ement.aspx
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2020 12:25 PM by Tiger1983.)
08-08-2020 12:25 PM
Attackcoog Online

(08-08-2020 12:25 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  

I maybe wrong about a meeting, but they did issue a release date extending the “acclimatization period“. https://bigten.org/news/2020/8/8/general...ement.aspx

Based on last spring, I see little reason to think spring 2021 is going to offer a better environment for football than fall 2020. In fact, my guess is there will be little difference in the average number of players who contract Covid 19 over this fall between the teams that play and the FCS teams that dont play. Whether you play are not---18 to 22 year olds are going to engage in behaviors that make it more likely they will get the virus. I would submit that players in organized football programs testing their players regularly will be no more likely to get the virus than players of FCS teams that chose not to play. My guess is these two groups of players will contract the virus at about the same rate---they will simply contract the virus from different sources. In fact, I wont be shocked if FCS players actually contract the virus at a higher rate.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2020 12:35 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-08-2020 12:29 PM
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(08-08-2020 12:29 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Based on last spring, I see little reason to think spring 2021 is going to offer a better environment for football than fall 2020.

Staying hopeful that a vaccine will have been developed by the end of the year.
08-08-2020 12:37 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
B10 Commissioner favors spring football.

It will be hard for the SEC and B12 to resist the pressure now.

https://amp.freep.com/amp/3326536001?__t...ssion=true
08-08-2020 01:14 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(08-08-2020 11:21 AM)TerryD Wrote:  

Probably not.

Definitely not saying ND should join a conference, but I don't think this season is a good example for that reasoning. After all ND would still be Independent if not for this pandemic in the first place.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2020 02:58 PM by Alanda.)
08-08-2020 01:24 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(08-08-2020 12:29 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Based on last spring, I see little reason to think spring 2021 is going to offer a better environment for football than fall 2020. In fact, my guess is there will be little difference in the average number of players who contract Covid 19 over this fall between the teams that play and the FCS teams that dont play. Whether you play are not---18 to 22 year olds are going to engage in behaviors that make it more likely they will get the virus. I would submit that players in organized football programs testing their players regularly will be no more likely to get the virus than players of FCS teams that chose not to play. My guess is these two groups of players will contract the virus at about the same rate---they will simply contract the virus from different sources. In fact, I wont be shocked if FCS players actually contract the virus at a higher rate.

You are using logic and science. The decision, if made, will be driven by fear. Fear of bad press, fear of social media, fear of lawsuits, fear of peer criticism.....
08-08-2020 01:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.