Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Elephant in the Room
Bookmark and Share
squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Elephant in the Room
Nobody has talked about this yet, but what's the general consensus if players begin taking a knee during the National Anthem? Will Buc players be wearing social justice messages on their uniforms this season or does anyone know?
08-06-2020 09:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
RE: Elephant in the Room
(08-06-2020 09:53 AM)squeak Wrote:  Nobody has talked about this yet, but what's the general consensus if players begin taking a knee during the National Anthem? Will Buc players be wearing social justice messages on their uniforms this season or does anyone know?

I have no idea, BUT at some venues the National Anthem is played before the players return to the court for introductions. The home team may know the sentiment of their own players but don't know about the other team. This approach has been used to solve that issue.
08-06-2020 10:21 AM
brock20 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Laundry
(08-06-2020 09:53 AM)squeak Wrote:  Nobody has talked about this yet, but what's the general consensus if players begin taking a knee during the National Anthem? Will Buc players be wearing social justice messages on their uniforms this season or does anyone know?

You should prepare yourself for kneeling. In fact, i wouldnt discount the administration doing it along with some montage on the video screen.
08-06-2020 10:29 AM
Buckyball Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ETSU
(08-06-2020 10:29 AM)brock20 Wrote:  

You should prepare yourself for kneeling. In fact, i wouldnt discount the administration doing it along with some montage on the video screen.

I only speak for myself; I also allow for and respect others opinions on the subject. To me, kneeling for the flag/anthem is like prayer and is not an insult to the flag or the country. Sitting (unless you are incapable of standing) is, however. My family and I will be standing, but I’m certainly not going to get bent out of shape over kneeling.
08-06-2020 01:30 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
Regardless of where anyone stands on the subject, this is what needs to be said. I love our athletes. I love that they picked ETSU over all the other places to play their sport and further their education. That's awesome. That said, without alumni coming back to watch them and without local communities rallying to come to those games, spending their hard earned and scarce resources to support them and be entertained, their existence as intercollegiate athletes does not exist. There are no free Nike shoes. There's no free Nike bags, no access to a state of the art weight room, tutoring, priority scheduling, Marriott hotel stays, trips to tropical places for tournaments. That's all gone. Not just at ETSU, but everywhere. Has anyone ever noticed that Michael Jordan or Dolly Parton NEVER talk politics? They get it, they need the fans more than the fans need them. The existence of intercollegiate athletics in its' current model is based solely on entertaining a whole lot of people, which means a whole lot of money exchanges hands to fund it. I've cut out Major League Baseball, the NBA, 99% of sports talk, and rarely visit this board anymore and you know what? I don't miss baseball, I don't miss the NBA, and truth be told, I don't miss what college basketball has become. I do miss the days of 4-5 year players, real rivalries, the magic of the tournament, players and coaches having loyalty to their school and their fans. But honestly, I've discovered that since March, there's other things to do that are fun as well, and the percentage of the population who feels like me knows that they need us more than we need them. I've replaced a lot of them with more enjoyable things.
08-06-2020 03:34 PM
brock20 Offline
1st String

(08-06-2020 03:34 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Regardless of where anyone stands on the subject, this is what needs to be said. I love our athletes. I love that they picked ETSU over all the other places to play their sport and further their education. That's awesome. That said, without alumni coming back to watch them and without local communities rallying to come to those games, spending their hard earned and scarce resources to support them and be entertained, their existence as intercollegiate athletes does not exist. There are no free Nike shoes. There's no free Nike bags, no access to a state of the art weight room, tutoring, priority scheduling, Marriott hotel stays, trips to tropical places for tournaments. That's all gone. Not just at ETSU, but everywhere. Has anyone ever noticed that Michael Jordan or Dolly Parton NEVER talk politics? They get it, they need the fans more than the fans need them. The existence of intercollegiate athletics in its' current model is based solely on entertaining a whole lot of people, which means a whole lot of money exchanges hands to fund it. I've cut out Major League Baseball, the NBA, 99% of sports talk, and rarely visit this board anymore and you know what? I don't miss baseball, I don't miss the NBA, and truth be told, I don't miss what college basketball has become. I do miss the days of 4-5 year players, real rivalries, the magic of the tournament, players and coaches having loyalty to their school and their fans. But honestly, I've discovered that since March, there's other things to do that are fun as well, and the percentage of the population who feels like me knows that they need us more than we need them. I've replaced a lot of them with more enjoyable things.

Couldnt agree more. We have been conditioned to think that we cant live without sports but the past few months have shown lots of us that you forget about it pretty quickly.

One thing that has kind of "changed" me for lack of a better word was Hodges leaving. That was something that us as ETSU fans just havent had to deal with. I cant ever remember a key player like that, someone who was on track to be a potential ETSU hall of famer, to up and leave. It kind of just brought home the point that for 99% of these kids, ETSU and this area are just a pit stop to play ball for a few years.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2020 03:58 PM by brock20.)
08-06-2020 03:56 PM
Advertisement

squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(08-06-2020 03:34 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Regardless of where anyone stands on the subject, this is what needs to be said. I love our athletes. I love that they picked ETSU over all the other places to play their sport and further their education. That's awesome. That said, without alumni coming back to watch them and without local communities rallying to come to those games, spending their hard earned and scarce resources to support them and be entertained, their existence as intercollegiate athletes does not exist. There are no free Nike shoes. There's no free Nike bags, no access to a state of the art weight room, tutoring, priority scheduling, Marriott hotel stays, trips to tropical places for tournaments. That's all gone. Not just at ETSU, but everywhere. Has anyone ever noticed that Michael Jordan or Dolly Parton NEVER talk politics? They get it, they need the fans more than the fans need them. The existence of intercollegiate athletics in its' current model is based solely on entertaining a whole lot of people, which means a whole lot of money exchanges hands to fund it. I've cut out Major League Baseball, the NBA, 99% of sports talk, and rarely visit this board anymore and you know what? I don't miss baseball, I don't miss the NBA, and truth be told, I don't miss what college basketball has become. I do miss the days of 4-5 year players, real rivalries, the magic of the tournament, players and coaches having loyalty to their school and their fans. But honestly, I've discovered that since March, there's other things to do that are fun as well, and the percentage of the population who feels like me knows that they need us more than we need them. I've replaced a lot of them with more enjoyable things.

04-cheers Hopefully, our coaches can drive this home to the players. Remind them they hold a certain privilege and status in the area long after their basketball days are over.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2020 04:50 PM by squeak.)
08-06-2020 04:42 PM
shampoo Offline
All American

I Root For: blue and gold
[Image: Jeff-Foxworthy-Rick-Diamond-Getty-Images...p;amp;q=75]
08-06-2020 05:50 PM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU
In other words, "shut up and dribble"! For "our" entertainment and the glory of "our" school.

Clearly few if any of the posters who pose as such patriots on this thread have any idea of what the lives of black players are like beyond the confines of Freedom Hall. Or the history of racism that led us to this day. Nor much interest in finding out. It just might intrude on our entertainment. Horrors!

Hopefully not too many of the players are reading this crap. Because the clear message is that they are valued for our entertainment and bragging rights. And if they want to bring up any inconvenient truths about how they and their families and friends are treated in this country, they can go elsewhere, because "we" don't want to hear it. Why should black players care about how you feel they should react to the flag - when you clearly don't care about the racism that they still face in their lives? Ask Republican Senator Tim Scott how many times he's been stopped in DC for "driving while black" in a nice car, in the "wrong" neighborhood, (spoiler alert - he says half a dozen times).

Well, my fellow patriotic white folks, ETSU players can indeed go elsewhere. And if this reflects the attitudes of most of you, some of them might. If I were recruiting for a rival school, I'd make a copy of some of these posts, and make sure that they got around to prospective recruits.

My advice to other white folks: don't puff out your chests and throw down any gauntlets over something that you know little about, unless you are actually trying to provoke a reaction that you might not otherwise get.
08-06-2020 06:52 PM
brock20 Offline
1st String

(08-06-2020 05:50 PM)shampoo Wrote:  [Image: Jeff-Foxworthy-Rick-Diamond-Getty-Images...p;amp;q=75]

[Image: pwVRwM5g.jpg]
08-06-2020 07:46 PM
brock20 Offline
1st String

(08-06-2020 06:52 PM)swvabucsfan Wrote:  In other words, "shut up and dribble"! For "our" entertainment and the glory of "our" school.

Clearly few if any of the posters who pose as such patriots on this thread have any idea of what the lives of black players are like beyond the confines of Freedom Hall. Or the history of racism that led us to this day. Nor much interest in finding out. It just might intrude on our entertainment. Horrors!

Hopefully not too many of the players are reading this crap. Because the clear message is that they are valued for our entertainment and bragging rights. And if they want to bring up any inconvenient truths about how they and their families and friends are treated in this country, they can go elsewhere, because "we" don't want to hear it. Why should black players care about how you feel they should react to the flag - when you clearly don't care about the racism that they still face in their lives? Ask Republican Senator Tim Scott how many times he's been stopped in DC for "driving while black" in a nice car, in the "wrong" neighborhood, (spoiler alert - he says half a dozen times).

Well, my fellow patriotic white folks, ETSU players can indeed go elsewhere. And if this reflects the attitudes of most of you, some of them might. If I were recruiting for a rival school, I'd make a copy of some of these posts, and make sure that they got around to prospective recruits.

My advice to other white folks: don't puff out your chests and throw down any gauntlets over something that you know little about, unless you are actually trying to provoke a reaction that you might not otherwise get.

do you ever get tired of lecturing people on here? you make a lot of assumptions with your post. no reason to address any of it.
08-06-2020 07:50 PM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
This whole thread was not needed, it wasn't going to do anything but cause this kind of clusterF. Fan needs to move it down below if not delete.
It serves no purpose but to cause petty bickering.

I don't want to watch other round of political fighting and sure as hell don't want to be lectured.
08-06-2020 07:58 PM
squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(08-06-2020 07:58 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  This whole thread was not needed, it wasn't going to do anything but cause this kind of clusterF. Fan needs to move it down below if not delete.

I don't want to watch other round of political fighting and sure as hell don't want to be lectured.

Then don't read the thread. Nobody is forcing you to click on it.
08-06-2020 08:07 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-06-2020 08:07 PM)squeak Wrote:  
(08-06-2020 07:58 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  This whole thread was not needed, it wasn't going to do anything but cause this kind of clusterF. Fan needs to move it down below if not delete.

Then don't read the thread. Nobody is forcing you to click on it.

I didn't make a silly thread, what did you think people are going to do ?
Start boing and throwing things at the players, do a mass walkout?
There will be 2-3 vocal people stirring ****.
At this point I just want to be in Freedom Hall to see the players take a knee if they choose.
That is what I thought this thread would be about when I opened it.

The real Elephant in the Room, all these plans.. But will there even be a season and if so can fans attend.. and if they can I seriously doubt they are going to be letting 4-6K people into the games. If if it is limited seating, who gets booted?
Do they move the upper tier Season Ticket holder into my section and I get bumped up top?
even if they decide to say screw it, business as usual, do I attend? I am probably in a high risk group
and my father and uncle I attend with are both close to 80.. do I want to risk them going?
That is what I worry about.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2020 08:17 PM by RodShaw2.)
08-06-2020 08:13 PM
squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(08-06-2020 07:50 PM)brock20 Wrote:  
(08-06-2020 06:52 PM)swvabucsfan Wrote:  In other words, "shut up and dribble"! For "our" entertainment and the glory of "our" school.

do you ever get tired of lecturing people on here? you make a lot of assumptions with your post. no reason to address any of it.

Should we just shut-up and give them our money? Not sure about some of you, but I wouldn't want my employees forcing any political messages on my customers. Contrary to some, we are customers.
08-06-2020 08:15 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-06-2020 08:15 PM)squeak Wrote:  Should we just shut-up and give them our money? Not sure about some of you, but I wouldn't want my employees forcing any political messages on my customers. Contrary to some, we are customers.

No, you can choose to withhold your money, maybe there will be enough people who take that stand and it hurts them.

They are already hurting moneywise, it so maybe people boycotting will hurt them but
right now they got enough on their plate then to worry if that guy in Section L row 5 isn't coming. as I said above you might not get to see it anyway.

They aren't our employees, What kind of mindset is that? The entitlement in
that sentence. We are customers, sure we have a right to not use their service and they have the right to say we don't want you.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2020 08:23 PM by RodShaw2.)
08-06-2020 08:22 PM
Advertisement

squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(08-06-2020 08:22 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  
(08-06-2020 08:15 PM)squeak Wrote:  Should we just shut-up and give them our money? Not sure about some of you, but I wouldn't want my employees forcing any political messages on my customers. Contrary to some, we are customers.

No, you can choose to withhold your money, maybe there will be enough people who take that stand and it hurts them.

They are already hurting moneywise, it so maybe people boycotting will hurt them but
right now they got enough on their plate then to worry if that guy in Section L row 5 isn't coming. as I said above you might not get to see it anyway.

that sentence. We are customers, sure we have a right to not use their service and they have the right to say we don't want you.

I thought you said it was a silly thread, yet you're still here posting on it. Don't be cheeky, everyone on that bench represents ETSU and accepts monies from said school. As a customer, I do think I have a right before the first home game of any planned political displays. Just because some don't agree on this forum is no reason for a certain poster to insinuate those ''Patriots'' are nothing more than white racists. The arrogance with some on this board is astounding.
08-06-2020 08:50 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-06-2020 08:50 PM)squeak Wrote:  
(08-06-2020 08:22 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  

I thought you said it was a silly thread, yet you're still here posting on it. Don't be cheeky, everyone on that bench represents ETSU and accepts monies from said school. As a customer, I do think I have a right before the first home game of any planned political displays. Just because some don't agree on this forum is no reason for a certain poster to insinuate those ''Patriots'' are nothing more than white racists. The arrogance with some on this board is astounding.

Yeah you do have a right to not come. As for that scolding, yeah that is his style, I either ignore him or if he gets to insuffferable I fire off a few shots. I saw a ton of talking points from other places in his little sermon, which doesn't surprise me coming from the king of Copy and Paste, AKA Captain Obvious. The 6'9 250 pound guy who averages 14.5 and 8.6rebounds is a load down low. The guy scoring 21.4 points a game and shooting 42% from the floor is their main weapon. The guy who averaged 3 points as freshman grew into a threat by his Junior year (14.1ppg) and is going to be looked at to be a team leader his senior year. I mean I for one could never have figured that out.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2020 09:23 PM by RodShaw2.)
08-06-2020 09:19 PM
shampoo Offline
All American

I Root For: blue and gold
Being offended by kneeling is so last year. Please move on.
08-07-2020 12:55 AM
squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(08-07-2020 12:55 AM)shampoo Wrote:  Being offended by kneeling is so last year. Please move on.

03-shhhh Troy
08-07-2020 07:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.