Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC Football Scheduling
Bookmark and Share
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Exclamation AAC Football Scheduling
The AAC may release its football scheduling plans as early as tomorrow. I'm hoping for a conference round robin but it's been rumored that they will adopt an 8 conference game slate plus as many OOC games as possible. Here's what the other conferences have announced for scheduling thus far:

ACC: 10 Conference + 1 OOC [played in the home state of the ACC institution]
B12: 9 Conference + 1 OOC [ played in the home stadium of the B12 institution]
B1G: 10 Conference
P12: 10 Conference
SEC: 10 Conference
Sun Belt: 8 Conference + Up to 4 OOC

AAC: TBD
CUSA: TBD
MAC: TBD
MWC: TBD

We've lost Nebraska so an FCS Goon Squad, MyAMuh and Western Michigan remain OOC. I prefer either a 10 game conference only or 10+1. To play everyone in the conference sets up the chip participants nicely [tie breakers aside]. I know we had an unfavorable home conference schedule compared to a few other teams. What do you guys think?

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2020 08:09 PM by UCGrad1992.)
08-04-2020 08:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

doss2 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
RE: AAC Football Scheduling
SALT LAKE CITY — The status of the 2020 college football season is in flux with novel coronavirus numbers surging throughout the United States.

Here’s a look at where conferences and teams stand right now in regard to their 2020 football schedules:

The latest
Mountain West Conference
Presidents of Mountain West schools are expected to vote on a scheduling model Wednesday, The Mercury News’ Jon Wilner reported Tuesday afternoon. That would impact not only Utah State, but could impact BYU as well, as the Cougars have three games scheduled against MWC competition (Utah State, Boise State and San Diego State).

American Athletic Conference
ESPN’s Andrea Adelson reported Tuesday that the American Athletic Conference is expected to vote on its football plans Wednesday, and the conference is expected to go with a scheduling model that will include eight conference games and up to four nonconference games. Adelson added that a start date is still to be determined.

Sun Belt
The Sun Belt Conference announced Tuesday it will go with a football schedule that includes eight conference games and the option for member institutions to play as many as four nonconference games, beginning with Week Zero, with the season scheduled to start Labor Day weekend. The Sun Belt will also play a football championship game Dec. 5, with the title game date being adjusted if needed.

Among the changes to the 2020 college football season so far due to novel coronavirus safety concerns is the Pac-12 announcing its members will only play against league opponents this fall. Scott G Winterton, Deseret News Among the changes to the 2020 college football season so far due to novel coronavirus safety concerns is the Pac-12 announcing its members will only play against league opponents this fall.

Power Five conference decisions
ACC
The Atlantic Coast Conference made its decision to go ahead with a conference schedule plus-one model. That will include 11 games for ACC teams, with 10 league matchups and one nonconference game. Independent Notre Dame, an ACC member in every sport but football and hockey, will play a 10-game ACC conference schedule and will be eligible to play in the ACC’s championship game, the league said in its announcement.

The first week of competition for ACC members will take place the week of Sept. 7-12 and the 11-game schedule will play out over 13 weeks, with the ACC championship to be played either Dec. 12 or 19. Each ACC team will select their respective nonconference matchup, which must be played in the home state of an ACC institution.

Big 12
The Big 12’s 2020 football season will include nine conference games and one nonconference matchup for each team. The league announced that the nonconference game must be a home game for the Big 12 institution, and must be played prior to conference play beginning. The Big 12 said it anticipates starting the season between mid- to late-September, and the league’s championship game will move from Dec. 12 to Dec. 19.

“I would like to salute the work of our university presidents and chancellors, athletics directors, coaches, medical advisors and administrators who have worked tirelessly and collaboratively during these extraordinary times,” Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said in a statement. “We believe this change provides the best opportunity going forward. However, we will undoubtedly need to be flexible as we progress through the season in order to combat the challenges that lie ahead.”

Big Ten
The Big Ten became the first FBS-level conference — a Power Five league, no less — to make a move in regards to COVID-19 and the 2020 season, when it announced all the league’s members would only play conference opponents this fall.

Pac-12
The Pac-12 Conference unveiled its revised 2020 schedule last Friday, incorporating a 10-game schedule for each of its member institutions, three weeks after the league announced it would play only conference games this fall.

Competition will begin Sept. 26 for Pac-12 schools, with a bye week built into every team’s schedules, and Dec. 12 serving as another open date if games need to be made up. The Pac-12 Championship Game, originally set for Dec. 4 at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, will now be a home-hosted model and take place either Dec. 18 or 19.

Utah added defending Pac-12 champion Oregon to its now revamped 2020 schedule. The Utes will host the Ducks on Dec. 5 in a rematch of last year’s conference title game.

SEC
The Southeastern Conference will also go conference-only in 2020, with a 10-game schedule that will start Sept. 26.

“This new plan for a football schedule is consistent with the educational goals of our universities to allow for the safe and orderly return to campus of their student populations and to provide a healthy learning environment during these unique circumstances presented by the COVID-19 virus,” SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said in a statement. “This new schedule supports the safety measures that are being taken by each of our institutions to ensure the health of our campus communities.”

The SEC’s revised schedule will be announced at a later date, while the SEC championship game, originally scheduled for Dec. 5, will now be played Dec. 19 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. Each school’s schedule will also include a midseason open date, as well as another on Dec. 12.

08-04-2020 09:44 PM
doss2 Online
Hall of Famer

I would hope the AAC went 10 conference games and 1-2 OOC. I doubt it will as I am sure Special Navy wants AF, Army and ND games, So everyone must do Navy's bidding.

08-04-2020 09:48 PM
MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
I want FCS Miami, just to even things up. I'd be good with an all-conference schedule beyond that.

08-05-2020 10:11 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(08-05-2020 10:11 AM)MickMack Wrote:  I want FCS Miami, just to even things up. I'd be good with an all-conference schedule beyond that.

With how geographically close we are to each other, I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be a way to figure out a game between UC-MU this year.

08-05-2020 11:04 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(08-05-2020 11:04 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(08-05-2020 10:11 AM)MickMack Wrote:  I want FCS Miami, just to even things up. I'd be good with an all-conference schedule beyond that.

With how geographically close we are to each other, I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be a way to figure out a game between UC-MU this year.

And social distancing has never been a problem in their stadium.

08-05-2020 01:10 PM
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(08-05-2020 01:10 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  

Rimshot

08-05-2020 01:46 PM
doss2 Online
Hall of Famer

Except when UC comes to Oxford.

08-05-2020 02:01 PM
MickMack Offline
All American

(08-05-2020 02:01 PM)doss2 Wrote:  

Except when UC comes to Oxford.

Charitable acts are important.

08-05-2020 04:06 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

B1G announces conference schedule details...

Quote:In a surprise early-morning announcement, the Big Ten released its complete 10-game, conference-only college football schedule for the 2020 season on Wednesday. The schedule format will be comprised of each team's previously scheduled nine-game conference slate along with one additional game against a cross-division opponent.

The Big Ten will begin playing games earlier than all other Power Five conferences, starting in the traditional Week 1. It has games on Thursday and Friday of that week before beginning league-wide on Saturday, Sept. 5. The ACC is beginning play the following week, the Big 12 has yet to decide, and the SEC and Pac-12 are kicking off their seasons on Sept. 26.

The 10 Big Ten games will be played over 12 weeks with each team having two off weeks. Week 13 on Nov. 28 is off league-wide as an additional date to make up games if necessary. This flexibility in the schedule allows for games to be moved and the potential for pushing back the start of the season entirely. While this announcement puts dates and games in writing, nothing is set in stone.

"One of the reasons we went to 10 games was to provide our schools with flexibility, to play 10 games over a 12-week period with a couple of open weeks that we can move games into," Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren told The Athletic. "There has been a great deal of collaboration with this. To be able to work on the schedule with athletic directors, coaches and our conference staff -- anytime you can work together in a collective manner, the better chance you have for success."

Let The Games Begin!

08-05-2020 04:08 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

Is anyone really surprised? This is probably the death knell to UGone FBS football...

Quote:UConn announced Wednesday that its college football team will not compete during the 2020-21 academic year, canceling its season due to risks associated with COVID-19. With the announcement, the Huskies become the first FBS team to opt out the 2020 season.

The players will remain on scholarship, their status as students will continue through either virtual or in-person learning this academic year and they will have access to the football facilities and support services in accordance with NCAA rules and local health protocols. But according to athletic director David Benedict, "the safety challenges created by COVID-19 place our football student-athletes at an unacceptable level of risk."

"The necessary measures needed to mitigate risk of football student-athletes contracting the coronavirus are not conducive to delivering an optimal experience for our team," Benedict said. "Ultimately, the student-athletes would rather preserve their year of eligibility with an eye to competing under more typical circumstances during the 2021 season."

UConn opened spring practice on Feb. 4 and was one of the few schools to complete its spring practice schedule. Players have also been back on campus going through voluntary activities since July under COVID-19 protocols with zero positive tests. Still, the risks associated with a season were understood by the players who offered their own collective statement on the decision.

"As a team we are in full support of the decision to not compete in 2020," the statement read. We have many health concerns and not enough is known about the potential long term effects of contracting COVID-19. Additionally, we have not had the optimal time to train mentally & physically to be properly prepared to compete this season. We love this game and love competing. We came to campus in the beginning of July knowing there would be challenges presented by the pandemic but it is apparent to us now that these challenges are impossible to overcome."

SMDH

08-05-2020 04:14 PM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

8 + [Up To] 4

Quote:The American Athletic Conference announced its scheduling model for the 2020 season, allowing its members to play up to 12 games if they so choose. The league will play all eight of its conference games this season beginning in the traditional Week 3 on Sept. 19. Its members can schedule as many as four nonconference opponents if possible starting as early as Week 0, where there are games currently scheduled at this time.

"It's eight plus -- up to -- four," one AAC athletic director told CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd. "It's whatever institutions can do that's what we'll do. We know it may not be equitable. We want to give the discretion to each institution rather than standardize it."

The league made the news official on Wednesday afternoon, confirming that the eight conference games per team will remain on the schedule slotted in their current dates. The AAC Championship Game will be played on either Dec. 5, 12 or 19 at the stadium of the regular-season champion, with a decision on the date of the championship game made no earlier than Nov. 1. League sources told Dennis Dodd that the game would not be held on Dec. 12 should Navy be eligible for the title game, as it is the current scheduled date of the Army-Navy name.

There will be tiebreakers in place if AAC members are unable to play all eight conference games.

How the AAC's members will fill out the remainder of their fall slates remains to be seen at this time as a number of scheduled games against Power Five opponents have been canceled based on decisions made by those leagues.

For example, SMU is still seeking to play its highest-profile nonconference game at home against TCU on Sept. 26. The game is scheduled to be played at SMU; however, the Big 12 has mandated its one nonconference game be a home game for its member schools. SMU has offered to drive across town to make that game happen. Discussions were still going on as of Wednesday.

"The health and safety of our student-athletes is our top priority as we face the challenges of the current global pandemic," AAC commissioner Mike Aresco said. "With the guidance and advice of our Medical Advisory Group, which has done an outstanding job developing health and safety protocols, we have developed a collaborative and comprehensive plan that will allow us safely and reasonably to play our fall sports. Our plan provides us with the flexibility to adapt to potential disruptions to our schedules. I want to thank our board of directors, our Medical Advisory Group, athletic directors, senior woman administrators and conference office staff for their thoughtful input and approach to what is one of the most challenging situations we will face."

Check out the full 2020 American Athletic Conference league schedule below:

Week 3 (Sept. 19)

Houston at Memphis
Navy at Tulane

Week 4 (Sept. 24-26)

UCF at East Carolina (Thursday)
Temple at Navy

Week 5 (Oct. 1-3)

Memphis at SMU (Thursday)
Tulsa at UCF
USF at Cincinnati

Week 6 (Oct. 8-10)

Tulane at Houston (Thursday)
East Carolina at USF

Week 7 (Oct. 16-17)

UCF at Memphis (Friday)
Cincinnati at Tulsa
Navy at East Carolina
USF at Temple
SMU at Tulane

Week 8 (Oct. 23-24)

Tulsa at USF (Friday)
Tulane at UCF
Cincinnati at SMU
Houston at Navy
Temple at Memphis

Week 9 (Oct. 30-31)

East Carolina at Tulsa (Friday)
UCF at Houston
Memphis at Cincinnati
Navy at SMU
Temple at Tulane

Week 10 (Nov. 5-7)

SMU at Temple (Thursday)
Houston at Cincinnati
Tulane at East Carolina
USF at Memphis
Tulsa at Navy

Week 11 (Nov. 12-14)

East Carolina at Cincinnati (Thursday)
Temple at UCF
USF at Houston
Memphis at Navy
SMU at Tulsa

Week 12 (Nov. 21)

Cincinnati at UCF
East Carolina at Temple
Houston at SMU
Navy at USF
Tulane at Tulsa

Week 13 (Nov. 27-28)

UCF at USF (Friday)
Cincinnati at Temple
SMU at East Carolina
Tulsa at Houston
Memphis at Tulane

And There It Is

08-05-2020 04:21 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
I'd be all in favor of replacing the Nebraska game with a trip to North Carolina or Virginia this year.

They both got cancelled on by UConn, and neither has an FBS home game scheduled at the moment other than their ACC schedule.

08-05-2020 05:09 PM
CaliWG Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: BYU
Looks like Cincinnati and BYU have a couple of common open dates. What would you guys think about filling out the schedule with the Cougars?

08-05-2020 05:27 PM
MickMack Offline
All American

(08-05-2020 05:27 PM)CaliWG Wrote:  Looks like Cincinnati and BYU have a couple of common open dates. What would you guys think about filling out the schedule with the Cougars?

I'd take it over FCS whoever it is and/or Western Michigan.

08-05-2020 05:36 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I say forget about going to some Power 5 school for a game. They won't want to give us a return game if a season where fans may be allowed (thus giving a G5 school an "advantage"). They also won't pay well for a one off buy game since they will not have much if any ticket revenue from the game.

I say play teams like Miami, Bowling Green, Toledo and Ohio U. Take the shot for the undefeated season this year.

08-05-2020 06:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(08-05-2020 06:19 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  I say forget about going to some Power 5 school for a game. They won't want to give us a return game if a season where fans may be allowed (thus giving a G5 school an "advantage"). They also won't pay well for a one off buy game since they will not have much if any ticket revenue from the game.

I say play teams like Miami, Bowling Green, Toledo and Ohio U. Take the shot for the undefeated season this year.

I actually agree with this unless you can get a 2 for 1 from Louisville where this year is one of the road games.

G5 conferences are going to keep their schedules so they can argue that the power 5 conferences breached their contract. The P5 conferences are going argue that the public health situation forces them to schedule within their own conference for uniform policies to protect their students. The power five doesn't want to pay buy games with no fans with the potential late season money games will be cancelled which is the real reason for no non-conference games. (Read Ohio State-Michigan moved up to October).

In all honestly nobody should be playing this fall but we are so past actually putting health first because every policy choice made seems to be in the interest of large corporations, universities, and other billion dollar organizations that have a large amounts of money on the line.

So Go Bearcats! Win every game this season, print perfect season shirts and hopefully we never have to deal with this situation again.

08-05-2020 06:29 PM
JUSTGOPLAY Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CINCINNATI
(08-05-2020 05:27 PM)CaliWG Wrote:  Looks like Cincinnati and BYU have a couple of common open dates. What would you guys think about filling out the schedule with the Cougars?

As long as BYU was willing to come here.....Don't like playing out there at that altitude.

08-05-2020 07:36 PM
Dannyboy Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats

They are one of the dirtiest teams I’ve ever seen. Plus the altitude. I’d only play them here or at a neutral site.

08-05-2020 08:03 PM
bearcat54 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-05-2020 04:14 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Is anyone really surprised? This is probably the death knell to UGone FBS football...

Quote:UConn announced Wednesday that its college football team will not compete during the 2020-21 academic year, canceling its season due to risks associated with COVID-19. With the announcement, the Huskies become the first FBS team to opt out the 2020 season.

The players will remain on scholarship, their status as students will continue through either virtual or in-person learning this academic year and they will have access to the football facilities and support services in accordance with NCAA rules and local health protocols. But according to athletic director David Benedict, "the safety challenges created by COVID-19 place our football student-athletes at an unacceptable level of risk."

"The necessary measures needed to mitigate risk of football student-athletes contracting the coronavirus are not conducive to delivering an optimal experience for our team," Benedict said. "Ultimately, the student-athletes would rather preserve their year of eligibility with an eye to competing under more typical circumstances during the 2021 season."

UConn opened spring practice on Feb. 4 and was one of the few schools to complete its spring practice schedule. Players have also been back on campus going through voluntary activities since July under COVID-19 protocols with zero positive tests. Still, the risks associated with a season were understood by the players who offered their own collective statement on the decision.

"As a team we are in full support of the decision to not compete in 2020," the statement read. We have many health concerns and not enough is known about the potential long term effects of contracting COVID-19. Additionally, we have not had the optimal time to train mentally & physically to be properly prepared to compete this season. We love this game and love competing. We came to campus in the beginning of July knowing there would be challenges presented by the pandemic but it is apparent to us now that these challenges are impossible to overcome."

SMDH

UCONN football is awful anyways. Won't matter when they collapse.

08-05-2020 08:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.