Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Power 5 Leaders Exploring Possibility of Staging Their Own Fall Sports Championships
UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
Power 5 Leaders Exploring Possibility of Staging Their Own Fall Sports Championships
Quote: In recent days, Power 5 conference officials began seeking feedback from their members about the feasibility of staging their own championships during the fall, sources told SI

http://https://www.si.com/college/2020/0...ships-2020
08-01-2020 07:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NotANewbie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tennesse, NMSU
RE: Power 5 Leaders Exploring Possibility of Staging Their Own Fall Sports Championships
(08-01-2020 07:21 PM)UABGrad Wrote:  
Quote: In recent days, Power 5 conference officials began seeking feedback from their members about the feasibility of staging their own championships during the fall, sources told SI

If that happens, it will be the trigger domino in their bolting form the NCAA.
08-01-2020 07:55 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
RE: Power 5 Leaders Exploring Possibility of Staging Their Own Fall Sports Championships
(08-01-2020 07:55 PM)NotANewbie Wrote:  

In that case, it needs to happen ASAP.
08-01-2020 08:01 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Maybe a shot across the bow of the NCAA not to cancel their championships.
08-01-2020 08:16 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
I read that as a veiled threat to the NCAA. If you cancel our season, we’ll play without you. Everyone will finally see the NCAA for what it is. All hat, no cattle.
08-01-2020 10:06 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(08-01-2020 07:55 PM)NotANewbie Wrote:  

See if the rest of us care.
08-01-2020 11:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Covid-19 is simply accelerating the inevitable. All this time on their hands the P5 is testing what Independence from the NCAA would look like with internal schedules, and now meeting to figure out how to run Championships.

The Youth Basketball Chapter I run is using this break to determine our strategy, and it has simply accelerated our independence, as we had a chance with everyone essentially down with nothing to do but think about it and vague plans became concrete. I'm sure on a much more sophisticated manner the same thing is happening with the P5.

The split may come much much sooner rather than later. Thinking aloud, it may also force Notre Dame into full football membership in the ACC.
08-01-2020 11:17 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-01-2020 11:17 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Covid-19 is simply accelerating the inevitable. All this time on their hands the P5 is testing what Independence from the NCAA would look like with internal schedules, and now meeting to figure out how to run Championships.

The Youth Basketball Chapter I run is using this break to determine our strategy, and it has simply accelerated our independence, as we had a chance with everyone essentially down with nothing to do but think about it and vague plans became concrete. I'm sure on a much more sophisticated manner the same thing is happening with the P5.

The split may come much much sooner rather than later. Thinking aloud, it may also force Notre Dame into full football membership in the ACC.

Worthy thoughts Stu. The academics should be rethinking undergraduate, particularly how the core curriculum is taken. The largest schools could open up enrollment for Freshman and Sophomores to an unlimited number taking core curriculum on line. This cuts down on the overhead for the parents, brings in significantly more tuition from which to fund other programming, and allows these schools to select only the cream of the crop for the on campus Junior and Senior years spent in majors and minors. This also allows for class size for Juniors, Seniors, and Graduate students to increase and makes the use of available space for additional research possible as well.

The only guarantee the Freshman and Sophomores need is that their completed work will transfer 100% to any other state school. This should also assist enrollment at these schools for the Junior and Senior classes.

Honors Students entering any school can attend on campus classes for Freshmen and Sophomores but these would be very limited classes for only the best students entering.

And yes, they have ample time to work on issues pertaining to infrastructure for a breakaway and monetizing their own basketball and tournament would more than pay for it.
08-01-2020 11:39 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
Ditch the NCAA let's getter done.
08-01-2020 11:53 PM
Flying Bearcat v 2.0 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: WhoIwant 2win
The NCAA is certainly at a Cross Roads. I honestly think that the P5 is not letting a crisis go to waist.
08-02-2020 08:10 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
The NCAA is a redundant revenue sucker. Time to dump them.
08-02-2020 08:15 AM
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
I get a chuckle from people think business models will be changed in higher ed and college sports because of a once-a-century event.
08-02-2020 08:40 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Great news. It's time for the baby (G-5) to stop nibbling off their mother (P-5) tits and find their own way. It's the survival of the fittest! Stop saying something can't be done and figure out a way to get it done G-5.

The NCAA is worthless and has been worthless for decades now.
08-02-2020 08:42 AM
HatterFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Stetson
obligatory Bender "we'll have our own (women's volleyball championship tournament)! With blackjack and hookers!"
08-02-2020 08:49 AM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Except they all won't leave.
08-02-2020 09:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
domer1978 Offline
All American

(08-02-2020 09:06 AM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  Except they all won't leave.

Nope, but it is another brick in the wall.
08-02-2020 09:09 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-02-2020 08:40 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  I get a chuckle from people think business models will be changed in higher ed and college sports because of a once-a-century event.

All these things have been thought about. This is the trigger that removes some of the inertia.
08-02-2020 09:29 AM
Rube Dali Offline
1st String

I Root For: UST, BSU, Minn
If it does happen, these championships will not be open to those not in the P5(not even the Big East will get in for basketball). When that happens, 99.9% of the NCAA's TV deals become worthless.
08-02-2020 09:53 AM
domer1978 Offline
All American

Keep the bball tournament with the NCAA. Carve out the P5 plus some friends and create a separate league.
08-02-2020 10:02 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-01-2020 08:16 PM)bullet Wrote:  Maybe a shot across the bow of the NCAA not to cancel their championships.

Yep, sure looks like it.

I think the P5 view this action as defensive, not aggressive. That is, I think the P5 viewed the NCAA holding meetings about canceling Fall Sports championships as an attempt by the NCAA to exert some pressure on P5 football decisions, and so as you say the P5 is firing a warning shot of its own.

I think it's also a warning shot to the G5, not to support any such moves in NCAA councils, as it would be catastrophic for the G5 to be left out.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2020 10:08 AM by quo vadis.)
08-02-2020 10:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.