Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Of all the professional athletes with C19
Bookmark and Share
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Of all the professional athletes with C19
How many have been hospitalized? Any basketball, baseball pr football players been sick in the hospital? My guess...NONE! This is a joke. World run by idiots. Let them play. How about college football players? Id imagine some hace....but a significant amount? Maybe none have. This whole thing is a joke.
07-29-2020 04:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
RE: Of all the professional athletes with C19
clt says the lizard people have the answers
07-29-2020 06:43 PM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(07-29-2020 04:08 PM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  How many have been hospitalized? Any basketball, baseball pr football players been sick in the hospital? My guess...NONE! This is a joke. World run by idiots. Let them play. How about college football players? Id imagine some hace....but a significant amount? Maybe none have. This whole thing is a joke.

I imagine that some of them are in close contact with non-professional athletes, right? They have parents and children and grandparents and buy groceries and gas and that sort of thing.
07-29-2020 06:56 PM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
It's not a joke. It sucks right now, sure. But it's not a joke.

Apparently some athletes have been hospitalized, others have even died.

Here is an article from April, and that seems like ages ago.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/natio...74001.html

Even a former Golden Eagle...

"Dylan Reda (Ex-linebacker, Southern Miss)

Former Southern Miss linebacker Dylan Reda said that he was experiencing body aches, a fever, and loss of taste before he was admitted to the emergency room on March 20. The 28-year-old was diagnosed with a severe case of pneumonia and wasn’t officially diagnosed with COVID-19 until two weeks later.

“Take this seriously,” Reda said. “I feel like a lot of people my age might not feel invincible, but they might not feel they’ll be affected by it as much as maybe their grandparents or their parents. If you have any symptoms at all, do what you’re supposed to do.”
07-29-2020 07:32 PM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
(07-29-2020 04:08 PM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  How many have been hospitalized? Any basketball, baseball pr football players been sick in the hospital? My guess...NONE! This is a joke. World run by idiots. Let them play. How about college football players? Id imagine some hace....but a significant amount? Maybe none have. This whole thing is a joke.

As others have said it isn't only about the athletes. You also have to consider the coaches and support personnel, as well as the community contact potential when the players/coaches/staff go home to their families/roommates, out for groceries or gas, or, in the case of college athletes, potentially in person classes. And then from there it can keep spreading through the community.

For example, Marshall could play ECU and a player on ECU could have Covid without symptoms. That ECU player not only spreads it to other ECU players, but also a handful of Marshall players that were in close contact with him in the game catch it. They then not only start to spread it amongst the Marshall team, but also bring it back to Huntington with them. Hopefully Marshall's testing regimen would catch it early on, but there is a delay between catching the virus and showing symptoms or testing positive. In that time, the players who contracted it are still contagious and are still attending class, running errands, and spending time with classmates and family, passing the virus along throughout the community.
07-29-2020 08:02 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
So no professional players have been hospitalized. But lets cancel the season.
07-29-2020 09:15 PM
Advertisement

Seminowl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FSU & FAU
(07-29-2020 09:15 PM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  So no professional players have been hospitalized. But lets cancel the season.

150,000 Americans died. I have friends who have grandparents and parents who died and you know who is passing the virus to them? Younger people.

What happens if these football players come in close proximity to someone who is elderly, has diabetes, is obese, has another chronic illness, or smokes cigarettes. All of those people are at risk. When these athletes end up infecting their parents and grandparents for your entertainment I’m sure you won’t bat an eye.
07-30-2020 06:45 AM
Seminowl Offline
Special Teams

(07-29-2020 08:02 PM)mufanatehc Wrote:  

As others have said it isn't only about the athletes. You also have to consider the coaches and support personnel, as well as the community contact potential when the players/coaches/staff go home to their families/roommates, out for groceries or gas, or, in the case of college athletes, potentially in person classes. And then from there it can keep spreading through the community.

For example, Marshall could play ECU and a player on ECU could have Covid without symptoms. That ECU player not only spreads it to other ECU players, but also a handful of Marshall players that were in close contact with him in the game catch it. They then not only start to spread it amongst the Marshall team, but also bring it back to Huntington with them. Hopefully Marshall's testing regimen would catch it early on, but there is a delay between catching the virus and showing symptoms or testing positive. In that time, the players who contracted it are still contagious and are still attending class, running errands, and spending time with classmates and family, passing the virus along throughout the community.

You have to consider the 70 year old grounds guy who has been working at the stadium for 40 years. You have to consider every parent or grandparent, pregnant woman, etc.
07-30-2020 06:50 AM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(07-30-2020 06:50 AM)Seminowl Wrote:  

You have to consider the 70 year old grounds guy who has been working at the stadium for 40 years. You have to consider every parent or grandparent, pregnant woman, etc.

Fun to read from those that have bought into the fear. They never ask why the US is the only country still pushing the fear. They don’t ask why all the schools in Europe opened back up a month ago. They don’t question the death statistics and wonder why you can find corresponding drops in other causes of death during the same time period.

Reminds me of a classic Journey tune. I’ll let you guess which one.
07-30-2020 07:45 AM
Seminowl Offline
Special Teams

(07-30-2020 07:45 AM)banker Wrote:  

Fun to read from those that have bought into the fear. They never ask why the US is the only country still pushing the fear. They don’t ask why all the schools in Europe opened back up a month ago. They don’t question the death statistics and wonder why you can find corresponding drops in other causes of death during the same time period.

I understand the stats, I don’t blindly reject them because of political bias. I know people who have died, my wife has seen an ungodly amount of people die in the past few months (as a nurse). Europe took precautions early and reduced their COVID count, it’s people who live in denial like you that are keeping America closed down.

Everyone is in denial until COVID comes knocking at their door.

Entertain me with your enlightenment understanding of the death stats.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2020 08:17 AM by Seminowl.)
07-30-2020 08:06 AM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee

What we can find is false narratives like this. Other deaths have not dropped. That's a lie being told by those who want to act like everything is normal and everything should be business as usual.
07-30-2020 08:35 AM
Advertisement

freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU

Unless they have some other pre-existing condition (diabetes, etc.) then most college/pro athletes are at an extremely low risk of dying from COVD-19. That doesn't mean that they can't catch and transmit it to others in a high risk category. It also doesn't make them immune to permanent organ damage from COVID-19.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/27/covi...rt-damage/

There is no guarantee that they would have lasting damage, but is it worth the risk? I am certainly not going to tell them they have to risk their long term health for my enjoyment.
07-30-2020 08:37 AM
Seminowl Offline
Special Teams

2019 Flu Season: 56,000,000 cases, 62,000 deaths, death rate 0.1107% - a well established virus with very little growth potential.

COVID: 4,510,000 cases, 153,000 deaths, death rate 3.3925% - a new virus that started with 15 people from China as stated by President Trump, very high potential of growth.

If 56,000,000 people had COVID we would see about 1.9 million deaths, not to mention the flu is a seasonal virus that only effects us for about half the year while COVID effects us all year long. Now let’s double the cases since COVID is not seasonal. 112,000,000 cases, with 3.8 million deaths A YEAR. This is not the flu my friend, not even close.

Now I understand the elderly, obese, diabetic, etc are at risk. At this rate you better cash out that 401k because the new retirement plan in America is COVID 19.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2020 09:00 AM by Seminowl.)
07-30-2020 08:39 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion

Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'?
07-30-2020 08:54 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(07-30-2020 06:45 AM)Seminowl Wrote:  
(07-29-2020 09:15 PM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  So no professional players have been hospitalized. But lets cancel the season.

150,000 Americans died. I have friends who have grandparents and parents who died and you know who is passing the virus to them? Younger people.

What happens if these football players come in close proximity to someone who is elderly, has diabetes, is obese, has another chronic illness, or smokes cigarettes. All of those people are at risk. When these athletes end up infecting their parents and grandparents for your entertainment I’m sure you won’t bat an eye.

Explain to all of us how not playing football is going to limit old sick people from catching the virus from their son or grandson? This should be interesting on how a 3 hour game where these young people are in the 6ft range of maybe 11 people for 40 minutes is going to kill granny. But being around 50 to 100 people daily, isnt.

Family members living in the same house are infected at a 16.3% rate. Yes that's from a report on China...but if the numbers are higher you find them?
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2020 09:40 AM by WKUYG.)
07-30-2020 09:38 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(07-30-2020 08:37 AM)freshtop Wrote:  

Unless they have some other pre-existing condition (diabetes, etc.) then most college/pro athletes are at an extremely low risk of dying from COVD-19. That doesn't mean that they can't catch and transmit it to others in a high risk category. It also doesn't make them immune to permanent organ damage from COVID-19.

There is no guarantee that they would have lasting damage, but is it worth the risk? I am certainly not going to tell them they have to risk their long term health for my enjoyment.

As I asked the FAU poster explain to all of us how playing football on a Saturday after noon for 3 hours makes them in any more of a risk than going about their avg day? You can bet the 11 people on any given play are tested more often than the class of students they are sitting in a classroom with.

They are already around their teammates each and every day. Actually everyone of these players will be in contact with more people each and every day than the 40 minutes or so that they are on the field.

That report is bullcrap if anyone believe this would damage the heart of 78% healthy young people and only 61% of those 85 or over.

Quote:The other study, which analyzed autopsy results from 39 people who died early in the pandemic and whose average age was 85, found high levels of the virus in the hearts of 24 patients.

Quote:“The fact that 78% (avg age 49)of ‘recovered’ [patients] had evidence of ongoing heart involvement means that the heart is involved in a majority of patients, even if Covid-19 illness does not scream out with the classical heart symptoms, such as anginal chest pain,” she told STAT.

Then we have this, but I bet you wont hear it on the fear 24/7 news

Quote:In addition, a flu infection causes an inflammatory state in the body, which can also trigger heart attacks by plaque rupture, as this mechanism of heart attacks is associated with inflammation. Even in young, healthy patients without underlying cardiovascular disease, the flu can be deadly.Nov 14, 2017

Can the flu affect your heart?
When it comes to flu and your heart, the bad news is, flu can make your heart sick. ... These plaque deposits can become dislodged during episodes of inflammation, such as having the flu, and can cause blood clots and heart attacks.Jan 25, 2018
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2020 10:10 AM by WKUYG.)
07-30-2020 09:48 AM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(07-30-2020 08:39 AM)Seminowl Wrote:  2019 Flu Season: 56,000,000 cases, 62,000 deaths, death rate 0.1107% - a well established virus with very little growth potential.

COVID: 4,510,000 cases, 153,000 deaths, death rate 3.3925% - a new virus that started with 15 people from China as stated by President Trump, very high potential of growth.

If 56,000,000 people had COVID we would see about 1.9 million deaths, not to mention the flu is a seasonal virus that only effects us for about half the year while COVID effects us all year long. Now let’s double the cases since COVID is not seasonal. 112,000,000 cases, with 3.8 million deaths A YEAR. This is not the flu my friend, not even close.

Now I understand the elderly, obese, diabetic, etc are at risk. At this rate you better cash out that 401k because the new retirement plan in America is COVID 19.

401Ks are going to succumb to new tax laws and reduced economic activity anyway. This crisis has more prongs than just health.

I think we will not have football this year, maybe not next, maybe not ever again. Not my choice, just my prediction. Good bye, college athletics.

I speak as a 75 YO retired diabetic. Get off my yard!!! 03-old
07-30-2020 09:54 AM
FAU Connoisseur! Offline
1st String

I Root For: #CometotheFAU
(07-30-2020 08:39 AM)Seminowl Wrote:  2019 Flu Season: 56,000,000 cases, 62,000 deaths, death rate 0.1107% - a well established virus with very little growth potential.

The CDC estimates that the case count is probably 6 to 24 times greater than the actual positive count which would drop the mortality rate to a range of 0.5654% to 0.1414%.

I am a big believer of protecting yourself and your family. If you believe you are at risk I have no judgement what you deem is necessary to protect yourself, now on the other hand you want to for the majority of people that wont be affected by this...I have a bit of a problem.
07-30-2020 09:57 AM
Heisman

The board is a microcosm of the selfish and arrogant American society that is increasingly polarized over any subject. This used to be the greatest country on the planet. We are a fraction of our former selves. My grandfather who farmed the lands of Tennessee his entire life and fought in WWII probably rolls in his grave.
07-30-2020 10:29 AM
Heisman

(07-30-2020 09:48 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(07-30-2020 08:37 AM)freshtop Wrote:  

As I asked the FAU poster explain to all of us how playing football on a Saturday after noon for 3 hours makes them in any more of a risk than going about their avg day? You can bet the 11 people on any given play are tested more often than the class of students they are sitting in a classroom with.

They are already around their teammates each and every day. Actually everyone of these players will be in contact with more people each and every day than the 40 minutes or so that they are on the field.

That report is bullcrap if anyone believe this would damage the heart of 78% healthy young people and only 61% of those 85 or over.

Quote:The other study, which analyzed autopsy results from 39 people who died early in the pandemic and whose average age was 85, found high levels of the virus in the hearts of 24 patients.

Quote:“The fact that 78% (avg age 49)of ‘recovered’ [patients] had evidence of ongoing heart involvement means that the heart is involved in a majority of patients, even if Covid-19 illness does not scream out with the classical heart symptoms, such as anginal chest pain,” she told STAT.

Then we have this, but I bet you wont hear it on the fear 24/7 news

Quote:In addition, a flu infection causes an inflammatory state in the body, which can also trigger heart attacks by plaque rupture, as this mechanism of heart attacks is associated with inflammation. Even in young, healthy patients without underlying cardiovascular disease, the flu can be deadly.Nov 14, 2017

Can the flu affect your heart?
When it comes to flu and your heart, the bad news is, flu can make your heart sick. ... These plaque deposits can become dislodged during episodes of inflammation, such as having the flu, and can cause blood clots and heart attacks.Jan 25, 2018

Most of the post is not even worth commenting on. But since you brought the China study back up (and the fact that you would give any credibility to it whether someone has another study to point to is absurdly laughable).

I don't have a statistically significant "n" yet, but it's not going to take too much longer for me to get there just in close friends and family. Of the 20ish folks who have tested positive, household transmission is 100%. It probably won't take another three months before just about everyone I know has contracted it, and I will have a sample size large enough to refute that with extreme prejudice.
07-30-2020 10:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.