Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Notre Dame, Illinois St, ?
Bookmark and Share
machoman83 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
Notre Dame, Illinois St, ?
Just a couple ideas here, with us down 3 games so far, and if “travel” is the main reason for most of the cancellations, why not schedule some of these teams? Notre Dame is down 3 games as well, this would be a good money game for NIU and is a short bus trip away. Illinois St opener against the Illini is cancelled, our opener against Rhode Island is cancelled too. Why not call the Redbirds up to DeKalb, only a short bus ride for them. For the third game, maybe we can find another in state fcs school with an opening. NCAA did give a waiver that two wins can count this season against fcs opponents. If not then maybe another crossover MAC game?
07-21-2020 11:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
RE: Notre Dame, Illinois St, ?
Good ideas. Getting a check from Notre Dame to replace what we lost from Iowa would be great, and ISU makes a ton of sense too. Assuming any games get played of course.
07-21-2020 11:38 AM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

I'll drink to that
07-21-2020 11:51 AM
NILAW Offline

(07-21-2020 11:51 AM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  I'll drink to that

04-cheers
07-21-2020 12:06 PM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

I was imaging the other day. Even if they said, no traveling out of state...

Get creative. Have all the Illinois FCS and FBS schools play each other. It's just a football game. Pull up and play lol. The one year Illinois football conference. I would think we could challenge NW or U of I for the top spot.
07-21-2020 12:09 PM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(07-21-2020 11:28 AM)machoman83 Wrote:  Just a couple ideas here, with us down 3 games so far, and if “travel” is the main reason for most of the cancellations, why not schedule some of these teams? Notre Dame is down 3 games as well, this would be a good money game for NIU and is a short bus trip away. Illinois St opener against the Illini is cancelled, our opener against Rhode Island is cancelled too. Why not call the Redbirds up to DeKalb, only a short bus ride for them. For the third game, maybe we can find another in state fcs school with an opening. NCAA did give a waiver that two wins can count this season against fcs opponents. If not then maybe another crossover MAC game?

Are you talking about possible matchups if there will be games in Spring? There will not be football in 2020.
07-21-2020 12:13 PM
stpeterocketfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo
(07-21-2020 11:28 AM)machoman83 Wrote:  Just a couple ideas here, with us down 3 games so far, and if “travel” is the main reason for most of the cancellations, why not schedule some of these teams? Notre Dame is down 3 games as well, this would be a good money game for NIU and is a short bus trip away. Illinois St opener against the Illini is cancelled, our opener against Rhode Island is cancelled too. Why not call the Redbirds up to DeKalb, only a short bus ride for them. For the third game, maybe we can find another in state fcs school with an opening. NCAA did give a waiver that two wins can count this season against fcs opponents. If not then maybe another crossover MAC game?

I am pretty sure that that ND games against the ACC stick because they are part of that confrence in all other sports and then play a certain amount of ACC games
07-21-2020 12:34 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

Do one of the other Illinois FCS schools have an open slot? We just played ISU last year, it would be more interesting to rotate through them.

Similar to Iowa, we've played Iowa so many times in the last 13 years it is no longer exciting or fresh. I imagine I will feel the same about Nebraska who we scheduled a bunch of games against.
07-21-2020 12:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
machoman83 Offline
2nd String

If we are playing football this year, let’s try to make the most out of a bad situation. NIU already has scheduling relationships with ND and Illinois St, and both games would draw a lot of attention from our alumni. And I would guess the players would be excited to play against both of those schools as well
07-21-2020 12:42 PM
Advertisement

HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

Does it matter where the games are played if fans aren't allowed anyway?
07-21-2020 12:59 PM
niu79 Offline
All American

Notre Dame may be willing to play us, but if there are no fans in the stands the only money they would give us is to pay our gas for the bus ride. The reason the Big 10 cancelled our games was so they didn't have to pay us the guarantee knowing they would be playing in an empty stadium.
07-21-2020 01:05 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(07-21-2020 01:05 PM)niu79 Wrote:  Notre Dame may be willing to play us, but if there are no fans in the stands the only money they would give us is to pay our gas for the bus ride. The reason the Big 10 cancelled our games was so they didn't have to pay us the guarantee knowing they would be playing in an empty stadium.

Right, if Notre Dame (who has plenty of money and an exclusive TV contract) isn't willing to pay a large guarantee there is no point in playing them except for ease of travel.

Just found out Notre Dame gets $6 million from ACC TV contract and $15 million from their exclusive deal with NBC. So $21 million annually just from TV deals. They make another $9 million annually from their sportswear contract with Under Armour.
07-21-2020 01:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UnknownScout Offline
2nd String

30 million just on advertising..... isn't that about our entire athletic budget?
07-21-2020 01:29 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Word is Notre Dame will be treated as an honorary ACC member in football in 2020 and play an ACC conference schedule.
07-21-2020 01:33 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(07-21-2020 01:29 PM)UnknownScout Wrote:  30 million just on advertising..... isn't that about our entire athletic budget?

It is. It is ridiculous what the P5 schools get in TV and sportswear contracts and what some of these head coaches and their staffs are making. I can see why some of these players are complaining about schools not paying them and raking in tons of money. But most G5s, like NIU, aren't making money off the players. Hopefully our players understand that none of our athletic programs generate more revenue than what is spent on expenses.
07-21-2020 02:18 PM
Huskie D Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Niu
Everything is turned on its head with Covid. If there is fall football, we have to schedule what's plausable. I half heartedly posted here last week about an NIU/ISU game. Sounds even more realistic now.

I'd still like to see us play UW-Whitewater. Basketball always starts the season with a few D3 schools (Aurora University and Augustana in 2007-2008; Roosevelt; Carthage). A Whitewater/NIU football game would far more entertaining than to see basketball blowout Rockford.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2020 10:15 PM by Huskie D.)
07-21-2020 10:05 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

With BYU losing so many games already, anyone think they'd be willing to pay up for a home/home this year?

I mean, if this year is going to be weird, might as well go all in on it.
07-21-2020 10:12 PM
HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

(07-21-2020 10:05 PM)Huskie D Wrote:  Everything is turned on its head with Covid. If there is fall football, we have to schedule what's plausable. I half heartedly posted here last week about an NIU/ISU game. Sounds even more realistic now.

I'd still like to see us play UW-Whitewater. Basketball always starts the season with a few D3 schools (Aurora University and Augustana in 2007-2008; Roosevelt; Carthage). A Whitewater/NIU football game would far more entertaining than to see basketball blowout Rockford.

That would be an epic way to watch a bunch of folks club seals.
07-21-2020 10:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.