Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

In the Wake of a Potential PAC Player Boycott How Much Better Off Might CFB Be If....
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
In the Wake of a Potential PAC Player Boycott How Much Better Off Might CFB Be If....
..... the speculation of one of our posters proved true and Utah, Arizona and Arizona State were in conversations with the Big 12?

Here's some speculation that wouldn't take too much for it to take place:

The whacky California State government backs the players and the PAC blows apart and UCLA and California are forced to comply with the state's political position.

Brigham Young joins with Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah in getting out of the PAC and heading to the Big 12. Without Texas or Oklahoma going anywhere perhaps Arkansas, Missouri, and a vacillating A&M decide to head back as well the latter out of more regionality than desperation.

Washington, Oregon, and Colorado want to keep college football going and the call the Big 10. Stanford and Southern Cal being private institutions do the same. The Big 10 takes those 5 schools and Notre Dame finally gets lured in because of the membership.

The ACC fearful of falling farther behind works to get 9 of their schools into the SEC in order to keep rivalries intact. So the SEC takes Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, N.C. State, Duke, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Miami, and Clemson.

The Big 12 sees a chance now to more fully include WVU and gain market share so they take in Cincinnati, Louisville, and Pittsburgh.

Here's what we get:

Big 12 (at 20)

Arizona, Arizona State, Brigham Young, Texas Tech, Utah

Arkansas, Baylor, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Christian

Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

Cincinnati, Iowa State, Louisville, Pittsburgh, West Virginia

Big 10 (at 20)

Maryland, Notre Dame, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers

Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State

Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Wisconsin

Colorado, Oregon, Southern Cal, Stanford, Washington

SEC (at 20)

Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech

Clemson, N.C. State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Miami

Alabama, Florida State, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Mississippi State

You would play your 4 division games and one permanent rival from each other division and rotate 1 other school from each other division for a 10 game conference schedule.

The regionality of the game would increase so that divisional games would be relatively close depending upon the size of your region. Rivalries are preserved.

B.C. and Syracuse and Wake head back to the Big 8.

Cal, U.C.L.A., Oregon State and Washington State could join the MWC if the state of California ever gets it back together.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2020 03:58 PM by JRsec.)
07-18-2020 03:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
RE: In the Wake of a Potential PAC Player Boycott How Much Better Off Might CFB Be If....
If the Commie-fornia schools are forced to capitulate I can see it spreading to the the WA and OR schools too.

The Big 12 could sweep in the other 4 and I see it stopping there.
07-18-2020 04:37 PM
Thiefery Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TEXAS
RE: In the Wake of a Potential PAC Player Boycott How Much Better Off Might CFB Be If....
Big 12 will not be adding BYU, they passed on them already. They also will not be adding Cincinnati or Louisville. I was very pro Big 12 expansion west or some type of merger. But as Covid continues to change the landscape, I think the best interest for the Big 12 is to stay at 10.

The AZ schools are tempting, but I doubt there is any real smoke there since they will stick with SC and friends.
07-19-2020 05:53 AM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
Arizona, Arizona State and Utah are former WAC schools who got their golden ticket to a major conference because they want/like their affiliation with the California schools and recruiting in L.A.

They won’t give up any of that for the Big XII no matter what the California state assembly does.
07-22-2020 01:13 AM
Thiefery Offline
Special Teams

Yep I agree.. Like I said as tempting as the AZ schools are, I don't see them moving to the Big 12 unless the TV money and network money the Pac 12 negotiates is horrible...HORRIBLE.

Talks of BYU or Cincinnati or Memphis is just that. For people who say that the Big 12 is weak.. what do those three schools add that make it better? To get back to 12? Big 12 is good at 10. If a school who had roots in the Big 8, SWC wants to engage on returning, that's something they probably will listen to. Other than that I don't see any good additions, especially at this time.
07-22-2020 08:45 AM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
The lunacy coming from the PAC 12 players would just make the least profitable P5 even less profitable. A 50% loss in football revenue would devastate the Olympic sports of those schools and insure that football would never again be competitive with the other major conferences. Other conferences would shun them in scheduling too.
07-22-2020 02:58 PM
Advertisement

UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

(07-22-2020 08:45 AM)Thiefery Wrote:  Yep I agree.. Like I said as tempting as the AZ schools are, I don't see them moving to the Big 12 unless the TV money and network money the Pac 12 negotiates is horrible...HORRIBLE.

Talks of BYU or Cincinnati or Memphis is just that. For people who say that the Big 12 is weak.. what do those three schools add that make it better? To get back to 12? Big 12 is good at 10. If a school who had roots in the Big 8, SWC wants to engage on returning, that's something they probably will listen to. Other than that I don't see any good additions, especially at this time.

The Big XII is doing way better than what people give them credit for.

It’s the ACC the one that is a mess. The Pac-12 will be fine once they’ll get rid of Larry Scott.
07-22-2020 03:00 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(07-22-2020 03:00 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  
(07-22-2020 08:45 AM)Thiefery Wrote:  Yep I agree.. Like I said as tempting as the AZ schools are, I don't see them moving to the Big 12 unless the TV money and network money the Pac 12 negotiates is horrible...HORRIBLE.

It’s the ACC the one that is a mess. The Pac-12 will be fine once they’ll get rid of Larry Scott.

In what way is the ACC a mess? They have a GOR until 2036-37.
07-22-2020 03:53 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

(07-22-2020 03:53 PM)schmolik Wrote:  

Other than Clemson, football is mediocre. Basketball and football schools are not on the same page. Their bowl lineup is worse now compared to the BCS era. Worst payout per school in the P5. Signed a long term deal til the mid 2030’s with ESPN which in television and technology years is an eternity. The schools with no options better hope the ACCN starts delivering fast before a school or two with options starts getting anxious and challenges the GOR. It’s one thing to be behind Ohio State and Alabama if you’re Clemson and Florida State. Another thing is to be behind Missouri and Minnesota by $15-20 million.

The Pac-12 has its problems but at least they’re on the same page on most issues and like the company they have. Unlike the ACC, they’re not surrounded by two giants (B1G and SEC) and the nearest P5 (Big XII) is far enough to not be a threat. Larry Scott is one of the reasons they’re struggling, that and its football blueblood (USC) mediocrity on the field. Larry Scott can be replaced. USC will fire Helton and may hire Urban Mayer or Bob Stoops. These things are cyclical.
07-22-2020 10:37 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

(07-22-2020 03:53 PM)schmolik Wrote:  

Other than Clemson, football is mediocre. Basketball and football schools are not on the same page. Their bowl lineup is worse now compared to the BCS era. Worst payout per school in the P5. Signed a long term deal til the mid 2030’s with ESPN which in television and technology years is an eternity. The schools with no options better hope the ACCN starts delivering fast before a school or two with options starts getting anxious and challenges the GOR. It’s one thing to be behind Ohio State and Alabama if you’re Clemson and Florida State. Another thing is to be behind Missouri and Minnesota by $15-20 million.

The Pac-12 has its problems but at least they’re on the same page on most issues and like the company they have. Unlike the ACC, they’re not surrounded by two giants (B1G and SEC) and the nearest P5 (Big XII) is far enough to not be a threat. Larry Scott is one of the reasons they’re struggling, that and its football blueblood (USC) mediocrity on the field. Larry Scott can be replaced. USC will fire Helton and may hire Urban Mayer or Bob Stoops. These things are cyclical.
07-22-2020 10:37 PM
MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(07-18-2020 03:56 PM)JRsec Wrote:  ..... the speculation of one of our posters proved true and Utah, Arizona and Arizona State were in conversations with the Big 12?

The whacky California State government backs the players and the PAC blows apart and UCLA and California are forced to comply with the state's political position.

Brigham Young joins with Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah in getting out of the PAC and heading to the Big 12. Without Texas or Oklahoma going anywhere perhaps Arkansas, Missouri, and a vacillating A&M decide to head back as well the latter out of more regionality than desperation.

Washington, Oregon, and Colorado want to keep college football going and the call the Big 10. Stanford and Southern Cal being private institutions do the same. The Big 10 takes those 5 schools and Notre Dame finally gets lured in because of the membership.

The ACC fearful of falling farther behind works to get 9 of their schools into the SEC in order to keep rivalries intact. So the SEC takes Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, N.C. State, Duke, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Miami, and Clemson.

The Big 12 sees a chance now to more fully include WVU and gain market share so they take in Cincinnati, Louisville, and Pittsburgh.

Here's what we get:

Big 12 (at 20)

Big 10 (at 20)

SEC (at 20)

You would play your 4 division games and one permanent rival from each other division and rotate 1 other school from each other division for a 10 game conference schedule.

The regionality of the game would increase so that divisional games would be relatively close depending upon the size of your region. Rivalries are preserved.

Cal, U.C.L.A., Oregon State and Washington State could join the MWC if the state of California ever gets it back together.

Instead of all these mega conferences that try to cover football and basketball wouldn't it be better for both sports if their conferences were separated?
Create new conferences for football only. Adjust existing conferences for all other sports with the priority on basketball.
07-23-2020 04:10 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-23-2020 04:10 PM)MidknightWhiskey Wrote:  
(07-18-2020 03:56 PM)JRsec Wrote:  ..... the speculation of one of our posters proved true and Utah, Arizona and Arizona State were in conversations with the Big 12?

Here's what we get:

Big 12 (at 20)

Big 10 (at 20)

SEC (at 20)

Instead of all these mega conferences that try to cover football and basketball wouldn't it be better for both sports if their conferences were separated?
Create new conferences for football only. Adjust existing conferences for all other sports with the priority on basketball.

I think that would be a great leap forward. The problem is University Presidents are risk adverse extremely slow to respond to change type of people.

I'd love to see all of the following separated: Academic associations / Athletica associations by sport. Who makes good conference mates for football is different than who makes good conference mates for basketball. And baseball is probably one sport that doesn't need divisions based according to size and expenses/revenue. So yes, this concept is solid, probably just 2 decades ahead of serious discussion.
07-23-2020 04:16 PM
Sicembear11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Baylor
(07-19-2020 05:53 AM)Thiefery Wrote:  Big 12 will not be adding BYU, they passed on them already. They also will not be adding Cincinnati or Louisville. I was very pro Big 12 expansion west or some type of merger. But as Covid continues to change the landscape, I think the best interest for the Big 12 is to stay at 10.

The AZ schools are tempting, but I doubt there is any real smoke there since they will stick with SC and friends.

I like BYU a lot, and I think they are good add at any time. That said, the best thing would be to go back to 12 by adding Arkansas, Missouri, and Nebraska back in the fold. Those programs have all suffered under their moves away from the SWC and Big 12. I think Arkansas in particular stands to immensely grow their program in a place where they can win and actually compete for a conference title and a shot at the playoffs. The SEC is obviously an excellent conference, but it is just a straight meat grinder with the number of elite programs in it. The gauntlet in a reconfigured Big 12 south is much less daunting.

Edit: in this situation I would see WVU going to the ACC with their peers, or maybe the SEC.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2020 01:05 PM by Sicembear11.)
07-24-2020 01:05 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

BYU is to blame for not being invited to the Big XII in 2011. They were making way too many demands. Who did they think they are? Texas?

Seriously, BYU would be a good addition but at this point they need the Big XII more than the other way around. The Big XII is not on survival mood anymore and even then, they didn’t cave to BYU’s demands. The same applies to Cincinnati. They’re a better fit in the ACC.
07-24-2020 08:12 PM
Thiefery Offline
Special Teams

(07-22-2020 01:13 AM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  Arizona, Arizona State and Utah are former WAC schools who got their golden ticket to a major conference because they want/like their affiliation with the California schools and recruiting in L.A.

They won’t give up any of that for the Big XII no matter what the California state assembly does.

(07-24-2020 01:05 PM)Sicembear11 Wrote:  
(07-19-2020 05:53 AM)Thiefery Wrote:  Big 12 will not be adding BYU, they passed on them already. They also will not be adding Cincinnati or Louisville. I was very pro Big 12 expansion west or some type of merger. But as Covid continues to change the landscape, I think the best interest for the Big 12 is to stay at 10.

I like BYU a lot, and I think they are good add at any time. That said, the best thing would be to go back to 12 by adding Arkansas, Missouri, and Nebraska back in the fold. Those programs have all suffered under their moves away from the SWC and Big 12. I think Arkansas in particular stands to immensely grow their program in a place where they can win and actually compete for a conference title and a shot at the playoffs. The SEC is obviously an excellent conference, but it is just a straight meat grinder with the number of elite programs in it. The gauntlet in a reconfigured Big 12 south is much less daunting.

Edit: in this situation I would see WVU going to the ACC with their peers, or maybe the SEC.

Mizzu and Nebraska would never comeback because it wasn't about competing when they left, it was all about the money. And they are happy cashing in on that, Mizzu apparently needs every dollar because they still are close to going belly up. Arkansas has been in the SEC too long to want to comeback.

It is what it is, which is why 10 is a good number for the conference. In a hypothetical situation, maybe Arkansas and WV swap? But Mizzu for WV? Pass.
07-25-2020 07:25 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(07-25-2020 07:25 AM)Thiefery Wrote:  
(07-22-2020 01:13 AM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  Arizona, Arizona State and Utah are former WAC schools who got their golden ticket to a major conference because they want/like their affiliation with the California schools and recruiting in L.A.

Mizzu and Nebraska would never comeback because it wasn't about competing when they left, it was all about the money. And they are happy cashing in on that, Mizzu apparently needs every dollar because they still are close to going belly up. [b][b]Arkansas has been in the SEC too long to want to comeback.[/b][/b]

It is what it is, which is why 10 is a good number for the conference. In a hypothetical situation, maybe Arkansas and WV swap? But Mizzu for WV? Pass.

Thinking about that the other day. You would have to be 46 to have been at Penn St. when they weren't a Big 10 member. You would have to be 47 to have been at Arkansas or South Carolina when they weren't an SEC member. Now the average age of a college football fan is 52, but it won't be long until most fans don't remember those days. (average age: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sp...2017-06-30)
07-25-2020 01:55 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-25-2020 01:55 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Mizzu and Nebraska would never comeback because it wasn't about competing when they left, it was all about the money. And they are happy cashing in on that, Mizzu apparently needs every dollar because they still are close to going belly up. [b][b]Arkansas has been in the SEC too long to want to comeback.[/b][/b]

Thinking about that the other day. You would have to be 46 to have been at Penn St. when they weren't a Big 10 member. You would have to be 47 to have been at Arkansas or South Carolina when they weren't an SEC member. Now the average age of a college football fan is 52, but it won't be long until most fans don't remember those days. (average age: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sp...2017-06-30)

That's a real problem for those of us who remember when Tulane and Georgia Tech were in the SEC. To me Arkansas and South Carolina still seem like newbies and A&M and Missouri joined yesterday.

Our neighbor across the street in Panama City rubbed in Florida's victory over Auburn by making a crepe paper and chicken wire creation of Spurrier kicking the winning field goal against us complete with a wire that pulled the football from the holder through the goalposts. He was a commercial fisherman and a huge Gator fan, and other than that a great neighbor. He took it down in a hurry when Georgia whipped that same team just a week or two later.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2020 03:01 PM by JRsec.)
07-25-2020 02:53 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(07-25-2020 02:53 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

That's a real problem for those of us who remember when Tulane and Georgia Tech were in the SEC. To me Arkansas and South Carolina still seem like newbies and A&M and Missouri joined yesterday.

Our neighbor across the street in Panama City rubbed in Florida's victory over Auburn by making a crepe paper and chicken wire creation of Spurrier kicking the winning field goal against us complete with a wire that pulled the football from the holder through the goalposts. He was a commercial fisherman and a huge Gator fan, and other than that a great neighbor. He took it down in a hurry when Georgia whipped that same team just a week or two later.

Feels the same way to me. But South Carolina seems to be pretty integrated. They were independent for 20 years before joining the SEC so they haven't been in another football conference in nearly 50 years. They have good mutual intensity with Georgia and Florida. I don't really seem to see anyone who cares about Arkansas or Missouri. And while A&M is stoked to be in the SEC, I don't think the feeling is particularly mutual. They are an outsider who is sometimes interesting to play.

They were talking about the college destination of my son's school's students. Lots of different schools around the country and beyond. But in the SEC, it was South Carolina, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, LSU, Alabama, Auburn and Georgia. No A&M, Arkansas or Missouri. Don't think any Mississippi St. Most of the ACC schools were represented, FSU, Georgia Tech, Clemson, UNC, Wake Forest, Duke, Virginia, Pitt. Think Miami and SU too, although I don't remember for sure. Don't recall any Virginia Tech or NCSU or BC. No Louisville.
07-25-2020 04:38 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-25-2020 04:38 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(07-25-2020 02:53 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

(07-24-2020 01:05 PM)Sicembear11 Wrote:  I like BYU a lot, and I think they are good add at any time. That said, the best thing would be to go back to 12 by adding Arkansas, Missouri, and Nebraska back in the fold. Those programs have all suffered under their moves away from the SWC and Big 12. I think Arkansas in particular stands to immensely grow their program in a place where they can win and actually compete for a conference title and a shot at the playoffs. The SEC is obviously an excellent conference, but it is just a straight meat grinder with the number of elite programs in it. The gauntlet in a reconfigured Big 12 south is much less daunting.

Feels the same way to me. But South Carolina seems to be pretty integrated. They were independent for 20 years before joining the SEC so they haven't been in another football conference in nearly 50 years. They have good mutual intensity with Georgia and Florida. I don't really seem to see anyone who cares about Arkansas or Missouri. And while A&M is stoked to be in the SEC, I don't think the feeling is particularly mutual. They are an outsider who is sometimes interesting to play.

They were talking about the college destination of my son's school's students. Lots of different schools around the country and beyond. But in the SEC, it was South Carolina, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, LSU, Alabama, Auburn and Georgia. No A&M, Arkansas or Missouri. Don't think any Mississippi St. Most of the ACC schools were represented, FSU, Georgia Tech, Clemson, UNC, Wake Forest, Duke, Virginia, Pitt. Think Miami and SU too, although I don't remember for sure. Don't recall any Virginia Tech or NCSU or BC. No Louisville.

That's just your location as much as anything. Back in the day I received acceptance from L.S.U., Alabama, Tulane, and Auburn. I was in candidacy for 2 service academies and one of them wanted me to do a year in the prep program. I opted for Auburn mostly because L.S.U.'s out of state tuition was too much and I didn't really want to live in New Orleans for school.

A&M fits the SEC just fine and if you were playing a predominantly West division schedule that would be apparent. My best friends son, who graduated at Auburn and is now a CPA, fell in love with College Station after visiting. Kids out of Mississippi and Louisiana do as well. One of my daughter's best friends married an Aggie from Oklahoma. The one nobody talks about is Missouri. The SEC is going to have to eventually snag more midwestern schools if they are ever going to fully integrate Mizzou and then we are probably talking about 2 essentially different conferences under the SEC banner instead of 2 divisions. But quite frankly from talking to some Missouri people at Auburn events they aren't sure outside of the old Big 8 exactly where they belong. They probably fit the Big 10 West a bit better but not wholly. Who they fit were Colorado, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Iowa State and had a nice crossover rivalry with Illinois where they got a great many students.
07-25-2020 05:09 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(07-25-2020 05:09 PM)JRsec Wrote:  A&M fits the SEC just fine and if you were playing a predominantly West division schedule that would be apparent. My best friends son, who graduated at Auburn and is now a CPA, fell in love with College Station after visiting. Kids out of Mississippi and Louisiana do as well. One of my daughter's best friends married an Aggie from Oklahoma. The one nobody talks about is Missouri. The SEC is going to have to eventually snag more midwestern schools if they are ever going to fully integrate Mizzou and then we are probably talking about 2 essentially different conferences under the SEC banner instead of 2 divisions. But quite frankly from talking to some Missouri people at Auburn events they aren't sure outside of the old Big 8 exactly where they belong. They probably fit the Big 10 West a bit better but not wholly. Who they fit were Colorado, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Iowa State and had a nice crossover rivalry with Illinois where they got a great many students.

I wonder if Missouri would fit in better with the SEC West with Arkansas and Texas A&M than the SEC East where they have no geographical rivals. Assuming no expansion, someone would have to go to the East to replace them. Auburn's the obvious choice but that means Alabama and Auburn would be split up and the permanent rivals would have to be shuffled meaning Alabama and Tennessee can't play every year and would only play twice every 12 years. I highly doubt 'Bama signs on for that. Assuming the SEC can't eliminate divisions altogether, I would move Alabama and Auburn to the East and Missouri and Vanderbilt to the West although that would make the East way stronger than the West. The other solution if the "division rule" is still in place would be to grab Oklahoma and Texas and then the East is Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and the West is Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Mississippi State (or you can do rotating quads).
07-25-2020 05:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.