Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BYU 2020 inclusion in AAC for single season.
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
ACC has offered to include Notre Dame if everything moves toward conference only schedules.

Should the AAC offer a similar bail out for BYU? A good faith gesture for future scheduling at the very least.

What other options does BYU have at this point?
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2020 06:47 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
07-12-2020 06:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
RE: BYU 2020 inclusion in AAC for single season.
If some AAC schools want to schedule them let them do it.
07-12-2020 06:31 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(07-12-2020 06:31 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  If some AAC schools want to schedule them let them do it.

Agree otherwise let them run the independent route where they are losing games and then tag on with the MWC after eating crow. 04-jawdrop 02-13-banana 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-nutkick 04-rock 05-stirthepot COGS 04-cheers
07-12-2020 06:40 PM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
F those guys.
07-12-2020 07:12 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(07-12-2020 06:22 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  ACC has offered to include Notre Dame if everything moves toward conference only schedules.

The ACC isn't bailing out Notre Dame. They already had six games scheduled against ACC opponents this season.

ND situation is completely different than BYU. However, if there is a season BYU will have little problem putting a schedule together. There are 7 Indy programs including BYU. I'm sure if push came to shove they could get games with the remaining 6 programs including ND.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2020 07:37 PM by HiddenDragon.)
07-12-2020 07:36 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(07-12-2020 06:31 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  If some AAC schools want to schedule them let them do it.

Exactly. If we do not go to conference only scheduling then it's up to each individual school - if they have open dates. Independence scheduling has benefits that also comes with risks. I say *no* to the AAC assuming BYU problems.
07-12-2020 09:24 PM
Advertisement

MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

No way should we bail out any indy. We have an opening and would clearly like BYU to join the conference, they could join starting this year given their schedule will likely be cleared. Otherwise leave them out in the rain.
07-12-2020 09:45 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
wouldnt we want to make it as difficult as possible for byu so they are forced out of independence???

byu and nd are on different levels..and should not be compared...

if there was a power move to be made, it would be the mwc and the aac joining forces and saying neither will take byu as a conference game, if both go to conference only ...

accommodating byu (even if we went conference only) would send a sign to them that indy is possible no matter the circumstance
07-12-2020 10:24 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
I absolutely hate this idea that independent schools should be bullied into conferences. BYU doesn't actually fit anywhere when you really think about it.
07-13-2020 08:25 AM
CoastalJuan Online
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
(07-13-2020 08:25 AM)oliveandblue Wrote:  I absolutely hate this idea that independent schools should be bullied into conferences. BYU doesn't actually fit anywhere when you really think about it.

Yeah, but I've always been on the personal responsibility train. Independents want to have their cake and eat it too. I think it's dumb that the ACC would bail out a ND team that should, if we're being honest, be out in the rain this year because they didn't join a conference. I feel the same way about BYU and Army. In the best of times, you get great scheduling flexibility. In the worst of times, you have no one to play.

I equate it to people who get out of paying into FICA, but then complain when they are unemployed and don't have coverage. A conference is an insurance policy.
07-13-2020 08:48 AM
Bear Catlett Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
You know, it doesn't sound like a bad idea on the surface...

But they have known that if they'd have approached us about joining we'd have probably taken them, but they were just too good for us.

So I vote NO. They made their bed. Let 'em sleep in it.
07-13-2020 09:02 AM
Advertisement

Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
If I had a vote for the conference as a whole the only independent program I would vote to help with scheduling would be Army. Otherwise I take the attitude it's not our problem.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2020 09:49 AM by Tigers2B1.)
07-13-2020 09:48 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(07-13-2020 09:48 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  If I had a vote for the conference as a whole the only independent program I would vote to help with scheduling would be Army. Otherwise I take the attitude it's not our problem.

Some what agree. I'd help UMASS and NMST too. UConn and BYU chose their path so let them swing with their decision. UMass and NMST got axed from their conferences though UMass could have stayed as an all sports member if they would have left the A-10 for BB and Olympic Sports. ND is taken care off in the ACC and I'd flip a coin on Liberty since no one will take them on as a conference member.
04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2020 10:26 AM by panite.)
07-13-2020 10:19 AM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Poor UCONN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07-13-2020 10:52 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
I would love this.

But, the AAC's better move would be to use the 2020 leverage to get a better long-term arrangement for the AAC. Offer BYU the 12th *permanent* spot, starting in 2020.

To make this move feasible, the AAC should offer to require BYU to only play 5 or 6 AAC games each year for the 2021 to 2025 seasons, so that BYU can accommodate the numerous game contracts it has for the next few years.

BYU has 11 non-AAC game contracts in each of the next 2 seasons and 6-8 non-AAC game contracts per season from 2022 to 2025.

To make things fair while BYU is only playing a divisional AAC lineup, BYU would have to win their division outright to play in the CCG. Otherwise, tie goes to the AAC school with the most AAC wins.
07-13-2020 12:00 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(07-13-2020 12:00 PM)YNot Wrote:  I would love this.

But, the AAC's better move would be to use the 2020 leverage to get a better long-term arrangement for the AAC. Offer BYU the 12th *permanent* spot, starting in 2020.

To make this move feasible, the AAC should offer to require BYU to only play 5 or 6 AAC games each year for the 2021 to 2025 seasons, so that BYU can accommodate the numerous game contracts it has for the next few years.

BYU has 11 non-AAC game contracts in each of the next 2 seasons and 6-8 non-AAC game contracts per season from 2022 to 2025.

To make things fair while BYU is only playing a divisional AAC lineup, BYU would have to win their division outright to play in the CCG. Otherwise, tie goes to the AAC school with the most AAC wins.

The AAC should make similar offers to both Army and Air Force. This could be the simplest way to ensure that Army and Air Force protect their matchups with Navy and each other for 2020 and beyond.

Air Force could use its future OOC schedules to continue to play proximate MWC schools.

Army could have a similar arrangement as BYU to deal with the numerous game contracts already signed for the next several seasons. They get Navy and Air Force through the conference schedule, plus 3 or 4 other AAC games, leaving room for 6 or 7 OOC opponents until they satisfy the various future game contracts.

I note that Army hosts several P5 schools over upcoming seasons, including Oklahoma, Boston College, Syracuse, and Wake Forest. These games could be added to the AAC TV lineup.
07-13-2020 12:06 PM
Advertisement

uofmlimbo Offline
1st String

I Root For:
No help from AAC. They made their choice...now live w/ it.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2020 01:10 PM by uofmlimbo.)
07-13-2020 01:10 PM
MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

(07-13-2020 01:10 PM)uofmlimbo Wrote:  No help from AAC. They made their choice...now live w/ it.

YUP! Also a good opportunity to rethink that decision. I hope they do since they're one of 4 programs that would add value AND so we can stop having polls and threads on which CUSA or Sunbelt team we'll end up adding.
07-13-2020 02:13 PM
MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

(07-13-2020 12:06 PM)YNot Wrote:  
(07-13-2020 12:00 PM)YNot Wrote:  I would love this.

The AAC should make similar offers to both Army and Air Force. This could be the simplest way to ensure that Army and Air Force protect their matchups with Navy and each other for 2020 and beyond.

Air Force could use its future OOC schedules to continue to play proximate MWC schools.

Army could have a similar arrangement as BYU to deal with the numerous game contracts already signed for the next several seasons. They get Navy and Air Force through the conference schedule, plus 3 or 4 other AAC games, leaving room for 6 or 7 OOC opponents until they satisfy the various future game contracts.

I note that Army hosts several P5 schools over upcoming seasons, including Oklahoma, Boston College, Syracuse, and Wake Forest. These games could be added to the AAC TV lineup.

I understand the indy schedule point you make, it's why Navy waited a couple of years to play their first season after accepting their invite. However right now everyone is readjusting their schedules and would probably be the most opportune time to move games around.

Also worth noting ESPN's FPI shows that P6/G4 is more of the reality than P5/G5.
07-13-2020 02:26 PM
texoma Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Collegefootball
(07-12-2020 06:22 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  ACC has offered to include Notre Dame if everything moves toward conference only schedules.

Should the AAC offer a similar bail out for BYU? A good faith gesture for future scheduling at the very least.

What other options does BYU have at this point?

The Big12....especially if they want to play 10 games.
07-13-2020 02:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.