Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Quarterback U"
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
"Quarterback U"
The Athletic has an article about Ohio State's aspirations to be " Quarterback U." Lots of schools have an argument: USC, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Stanford, Louisville, LSU, and others.

Mine goes to NC State. They have had Phillip Rivers, Russell Wilson, Matt Glennon, Jacoby Brissett, and Ryan Finley make it to the NFL since 2004. One is a Super Bowl winner, and two are likely future HOFers.

Also, because of NC State's success at producing NFL QB's, I would also argue that is part of why they might be the most underachieving FBS program. One 10-win season under Phillip Rivers, which was the only 10-win season in their history, and zero ACC Atlantic titles, even pre-2012 when neither Clemson nor Florida State was a national title contender.

https://theathletic.com/1921516/2020/07/...i1PLO0hihP
07-12-2020 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
RE: "Quarterback U"
(07-12-2020 09:54 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  The Athletic has an article about Ohio State's aspirations to be " Quarterback U." Lots of schools have an argument: USC, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Stanford, Louisville, LSU, and others.

Mine goes to NC State. They have had Phillip Rivers, Russell Wilson, Matt Glennon, Jacoby Brissett, and Ryan Finley make it to the NFL since 2004. One is a Super Bowl winner, and two are likely future HOFers.

Also, because of NC State's success at producing NFL QB's, I would also argue that is part of why they might be the most underachieving FBS program. One 10-win season under Phillip Rivers, which was the only 10-win season in their history, and zero ACC Atlantic titles, even pre-2012 when neither Clemson nor Florida State was a national title contender.

Interesting. If you go by the Athletic's last 10ish years criteria, I don't see how you can go with anybody other than Oklahoma. Sam Bradford, Landry Jones, Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray have all started multiple NFL games and Jalen Hurts was just picked in the 2nd round.

From a more historical perspective, I considered Miami to be QBU with that run they had (Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar, Vinny Testaverde, Steve Walsh, Craig Erickson, Gino Toretta, Ken Dorsey). But I think overall, Oregon's got a decent case (Justin Herbert, Marcus Mariota, Dennis Dixon, Kellen Clemens, Joey Harrington, A. J. Feeley, Akili Smith, Bill Musgrave, Dan Fouts and, a name you all know but don't think of for his playing days - Norv Turner).

I also tend to discount NC State for the horrible decision to push Russell Wilson out the door before his senior season. What a terrible look!

USFFan
07-12-2020 11:30 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(07-12-2020 11:30 AM)usffan Wrote:  
(07-12-2020 09:54 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  The Athletic has an article about Ohio State's aspirations to be " Quarterback U." Lots of schools have an argument: USC, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Stanford, Louisville, LSU, and others.

Interesting. If you go by the Athletic's last 10ish years criteria, I don't see how you can go with anybody other than Oklahoma. Sam Bradford, Landry Jones, Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray have all started multiple NFL games and Jalen Hurts was just picked in the 2nd round.

From a more historical perspective, I considered Miami to be QBU with that run they had (Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar, Vinny Testaverde, Steve Walsh, Craig Erickson, Gino Toretta, Ken Dorsey). But I think overall, Oregon's got a decent case (Justin Herbert, Marcus Mariota, Dennis Dixon, Kellen Clemens, Joey Harrington, A. J. Feeley, Akili Smith, Bill Musgrave, Dan Fouts and, a name you all know but don't think of for his playing days - Norv Turner).

I also tend to discount NC State for the horrible decision to push Russell Wilson out the door before his senior season. What a terrible look!

USFFan

Agreed about Russell Wilson.

The article in The Athletic references a list from nfl dot com ranking colleges as pipelines to the NFL at various positions.

The catch is that this list is based only on NFL QBs within the last 20 years, so for example it doesn't include guys who are long since retired like Fouts or Kelly, even though those guys were much better NFL QBs than most of the ones listed below. Also the number of points assigned to some of these QBs is very questionable.

https://www.nfl.com/news/pipelines-to-th...arterbacks
Quote:1 USC 184.5 (Mark Sanchez 48.5, Carson Palmer 44.5, Sam Darnold 29.5, Matt Leinart 24.0, Matt Cassel 17.0, Cody Kessler 14.0, Matt Barkley 5.0, John David Booty 2.0)
2 OKLAHOMA 130.0 (Sam Bradford 52.5, Kyler Murray 36.0, Baker Mayfield 31.0, Landry Jones 4.5, Jalen Hurts 4.0, Josh Heupel 2.0)
3 FLORIDA STATE 129.5 (Jameis Winston 57.0, Christian Ponder 31.0, EJ Manuel 22.0, Chris Weinke 17.5, Adrian McPherson 2.0)
4 OREGON 126.0 (Joey Harrington 49.0, Marcus Mariota 46.5, Justin Herbert 10.0, Kellen Clemens 8.5, A.J. Feeley 8.5, Dennis Dixon 3.5)
5 FRESNO STATE 119.0 (Derek Carr 57.0, David Carr 55.5, Billy Volek 4.5, Tom Brandstater 2.0)
6 AUBURN 110.0 (Cam Newton 74.0, Jason Campbell 34.0, Jarrett Stidham 2.0)
7 CAL 108.0 (Jared Goff 44.5, Kyle Boller 33.5, Aaron Rodgers 26.0, Davis Webb 4.0)
8 STANFORD 105.0 (Andrew Luck 61.0, Trent Edwards 25.0, Chad Hutchinson 11.5, Randy Fasani 3.0, Kevin Hogan 2.5, Todd Husak 2.0)
9 TEXAS 84.0 (Vince Young 52.0, Colt McCoy 20.5, Chris Simms 11.5)
10 N.C. STATE 83.5 (Philip Rivers 36.0, Mike Glennon 21.5, Jacoby Brissett 21.0, Ryan Finley 5.0)
07-12-2020 01:42 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
Wilson had already graduated from NC State and was playing pro ball when Tom O'Brien forced him to chose. It's a joke for anyone to claim he is not an NC State product. However that doesn't fit some people's desired narratives.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2020 01:59 PM by Statefan.)
07-12-2020 01:56 PM
texoma Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Collegefootball
[/quote]

USFFan
[/quote]

Also, Jason White won the Heisman trophy at Oklahoma, however after two knee operations he never got to play in the NFL
07-12-2020 02:07 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-12-2020 01:56 PM)Statefan Wrote:  Wilson had already graduated from NC State and was playing pro ball when Tom O'Brien forced him to chose. It's a joke for anyone to claim he is not an NC State product. However that doesn't fit some people's desired narratives.

Wilson was playing pro BASEBALL when NC State pushed him out. He played his last year of college football at Wisconsin, excelled there, and was then drafted.

He still had college football eligibility remaining, and he's not the only college athlete to play pro baseball in the summer while continuing to play their college sport during the school year. Two examples: John Elway played minor league baseball in the summer before his final football season at Stanford. Kevin Johnson played minor league baseball in the summer before his final basketball season at Cal. Their college coaches didn't kick them off the team for playing minor league baseball.

Which college should "get credit" for producing Troy Aikman? Oklahoma, or UCLA?
07-12-2020 02:11 PM
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
(07-12-2020 01:42 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(07-12-2020 11:30 AM)usffan Wrote:  

USFFan

Agreed about Russell Wilson.

The article in The Athletic references a list from nfl dot com ranking colleges as pipelines to the NFL at various positions.

The catch is that this list is based only on NFL QBs within the last 20 years, so for example it doesn't include guys who are long since retired like Fouts or Kelly, even though those guys were much better NFL QBs than most of the ones listed below. Also the number of points assigned to some of these QBs is very questionable.

https://www.nfl.com/news/pipelines-to-th...arterbacks
Quote:1 USC 184.5 (Mark Sanchez 48.5, Carson Palmer 44.5, Sam Darnold 29.5, Matt Leinart 24.0, Matt Cassel 17.0, Cody Kessler 14.0, Matt Barkley 5.0, John David Booty 2.0)
2 OKLAHOMA 130.0 (Sam Bradford 52.5, Kyler Murray 36.0, Baker Mayfield 31.0, Landry Jones 4.5, Jalen Hurts 4.0, Josh Heupel 2.0)
3 FLORIDA STATE 129.5 (Jameis Winston 57.0, Christian Ponder 31.0, EJ Manuel 22.0, Chris Weinke 17.5, Adrian McPherson 2.0)
4 OREGON 126.0 (Joey Harrington 49.0, Marcus Mariota 46.5, Justin Herbert 10.0, Kellen Clemens 8.5, A.J. Feeley 8.5, Dennis Dixon 3.5)
5 FRESNO STATE 119.0 (Derek Carr 57.0, David Carr 55.5, Billy Volek 4.5, Tom Brandstater 2.0)
6 AUBURN 110.0 (Cam Newton 74.0, Jason Campbell 34.0, Jarrett Stidham 2.0)
7 CAL 108.0 (Jared Goff 44.5, Kyle Boller 33.5, Aaron Rodgers 26.0, Davis Webb 4.0)
8 STANFORD 105.0 (Andrew Luck 61.0, Trent Edwards 25.0, Chad Hutchinson 11.5, Randy Fasani 3.0, Kevin Hogan 2.5, Todd Husak 2.0)
9 TEXAS 84.0 (Vince Young 52.0, Colt McCoy 20.5, Chris Simms 11.5)
10 N.C. STATE 83.5 (Philip Rivers 36.0, Mike Glennon 21.5, Jacoby Brissett 21.0, Ryan Finley 5.0)

I give it to Texas just based on Vince Young. Young is the greatest QB in the history of college football, and he is the great player/athlete in the history of college football. Football is a team sport, where one player has never been able to take over a game against the best teams in the country... until Vince Young did it. No QB has done it since, and no other probably ever will.

For those too young to understand what I'm talking about...

Bad quality video, but unbelievable highlights

Young outplayed and beat the previous two Heisman trophy winners in this National Title Game, and broke USC's 34 game winning streak

If you wish to disagree, that is fine. Just tell he who was better?
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2020 02:23 PM by Side Show Joe.)
07-12-2020 02:21 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

VY was fantastic at Texas, definitely one of the best college QBs ever.

The NFL article is about which college is producing the best NFL talent. The article doesn't properly rate QBs for their NFL productivity, but that's a different subject.
07-12-2020 02:36 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(07-12-2020 01:56 PM)Statefan Wrote:  Wilson had already graduated from NC State and was playing pro ball when Tom O'Brien forced him to chose. It's a joke for anyone to claim he is not an NC State product. However that doesn't fit some people's desired narratives.

As he says on Sunday Night Football, Pack full of Badgers. Wisconsin may have helped him become a first round draft pick, but he's an NC State guy.

As an OU fan, I'm glad Jalen Hurts played for us last year. He'll always be a Sooner. But, he's Alabama's quarterback. We just rented him for a year. He became a 2nd-round pick in the draft after spending a year in Norman, but he's a graduate of the University of Alabama.

FWIW, I claim Troy Aikman as a Sooner, but he's more of a Bruin. He spent three years at UCLA, played two, and claims UCLA.
07-12-2020 02:37 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Just one look at the Athletic list tells you that there IS NO current "Quarterback U" out there, as that is a garbage top 10 with almost no good QBs on the list from anyone. I mean, they give guys like Sam Bradford and Jameis Winston 55 points or whatever and those guys have been unmitigated BUSTS in the NFL.

There's nothing like back in the day, like in the 1960s and 1970s when Alabama had Bart Starr and Joe Namath and Ken Stabler in the NFL. Or like in the 1980s when Notre Dame had Joe Theisman and Joe Montana in the NFL, or Miami had Jim Kelly and Bernie Kosar and even Vinny Testaverde in the NFL.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2020 03:08 PM by quo vadis.)
07-12-2020 03:07 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-12-2020 03:07 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Just one look at the Athletic list tells you that there IS NO current "Quarterback U" out there, as that is a garbage top 10 with almost no good QBs on the list from anyone. I mean, they give guys like Sam Bradford and Jameis Winston 55 points or whatever and those guys have been unmitigated BUSTS in the NFL.

There's nothing like back in the day, like in the 1960s and 1970s when Alabama had Bart Starr and Joe Namath and Ken Stabler in the NFL. Or like in the 1980s when Notre Dame had Joe Theisman and Joe Montana in the NFL, or Miami had Jim Kelly and Bernie Kosar and even Vinny Testaverde in the NFL.

That's a different issue, your issue is that there are almost no great QBs playing in the NFL today. How many active NFL QBs are definite Hall of Famers?
07-12-2020 03:16 PM
Advertisement

SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(07-12-2020 03:07 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Just one look at the Athletic list tells you that there IS NO current "Quarterback U" out there, as that is a garbage top 10 with almost no good QBs on the list from anyone. I mean, they give guys like Sam Bradford and Jameis Winston 55 points or whatever and those guys have been unmitigated BUSTS in the NFL.

I think any "Quarterback U" list has to be historical. My choice would be Stanford with:
Jim Plunkett
John Elway
John Brodie
Andrew Luck
Kevin Hogan
Steve Stenstrom
Turk Schonert
Don Bunce
Steve Dils
Trent Edwards
Mike Boryla
Chad Hutchinson
Guy Benjamin
Todd Husak
07-12-2020 04:03 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

(07-12-2020 02:11 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Wilson was playing pro BASEBALL when NC State pushed him out. He played his last year of college football at Wisconsin, excelled there, and was then drafted.

He still had college football eligibility remaining, and he's not the only college athlete to play pro baseball in the summer while continuing to play their college sport during the school year. Two examples: John Elway played minor league baseball in the summer before his final football season at Stanford. Kevin Johnson played minor league baseball in the summer before his final basketball season at Cal. Their college coaches didn't kick them off the team for playing minor league baseball.

Which college should "get credit" for producing Troy Aikman? Oklahoma, or UCLA?

So you think you know more about the Russell Wilson situation than me?

He graduated from in NC State in 2010 after only three years.
In the spring of 2011 he reported to the Rockies Spring Training.
He missed NC State's spring training as Graduate Student.
In the late spring of 2011 TOB let him go in favor of Glennon.

I guess that one year at Wisconsin with their B10 sized offensive line made him the man he is today and the three years at NC State was just a waste of his time. 03-lmfao

Over the last 20 years Rivers, Wilson, Glennon, Brissett, and Finley have started in the NFL. To omit Wilson is just a purposeful skew of the facts.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2020 04:31 PM by Statefan.)
07-12-2020 04:28 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

(07-12-2020 04:03 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  

I think any "Quarterback U" list has to be historical. My choice would be Stanford with:
Jim Plunkett
John Elway
John Brodie
Andrew Luck
Kevin Hogan
Steve Stenstrom
Turk Schonert
Don Bunce
Steve Dils
Trent Edwards
Mike Boryla
Chad Hutchinson
Guy Benjamin
Todd Husak

That's fair.

Before Rivers, NC State produced Erik Kramer and Roman Gabriel - 7 over the last 60 years. NC State has never matched a championship level defensive line and backfield to any of these QB. Had Rivers delayed graduate a year, he would have had that kind of defense, but NC State is the sort of team that can beat FSU or Ohio State at their best and turn around the next week and lose to WF. It's a lack of replacement talent - depth. The defense NC State needed was almost always sitting in Chapel Hill, while they had the lack of a great QB.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2020 04:37 PM by Statefan.)
07-12-2020 04:35 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

Jim Plunkett
John Elway
John Brodie
Andrew Luck
Kevin Hogan
Steve Stenstrom
Turk Schonert
Don Bunce
Steve Dils
Trent Edwards
Mike Boryla
Chad Hutchinson
Guy Benjamin
Todd Husak

That's the main problem with all of these lists -- they are much too over-inclusive.

Every QB on that list below Luck is just a guy, not an NFL star. Same with the list on the NFL website, where more than half the QBs listed are NFL backups who run the scout team at Thursday's practice and hold the clipboard on Sunday. Producing a bunch of QBs like that doesn't make a college "QB U".
07-12-2020 04:53 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(07-12-2020 04:53 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Jim Plunkett
John Elway
John Brodie
Andrew Luck
Kevin Hogan
Steve Stenstrom
Turk Schonert
Don Bunce
Steve Dils
Trent Edwards
Mike Boryla
Chad Hutchinson
Guy Benjamin
Todd Husak

That's the main problem with all of these lists -- they are much too over-inclusive.

Every QB on that list below Luck is just a guy, not an NFL star. Same with the list on the NFL website, where more than half the QBs listed are NFL backups who run the scout team at Thursday's practice and hold the clipboard on Sunday. Producing a bunch of QBs like that doesn't make a college "QB U".

Schools with more than one QB projected to be a starter in 2020:

Cal (Aaron Rogers, Jared Goff)
NC State (Jacoby Brisett, Phillip Rivers)
Oklahoma (Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield)
Purdue (David Blough, Drew Brees)

That's it. Rest are scattered over 24 schools
07-12-2020 06:22 PM
Advertisement

SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

Jim Plunkett
John Elway
John Brodie
Andrew Luck
Kevin Hogan
Steve Stenstrom
Turk Schonert
Don Bunce
Steve Dils
Trent Edwards
Mike Boryla
Chad Hutchinson
Guy Benjamin
Todd Husak

Your right, if "Quarterback U" means good or great NFL career. Stanford is the only school with two quarterbacks that have won at least two super bowls. They have had great college quarterbacks, but most have been backups in the NFL. I could make a case for Cal, with Aaron Rodgers, Jared Goff, Steve Bartkowski, Vince Ferragamo, Craig Morton Joe Kapp, Rich Campbell and Kyle Boller. It is tough.
07-12-2020 06:51 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-12-2020 06:51 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  

Jim Plunkett
John Elway
John Brodie
Andrew Luck
Kevin Hogan
Steve Stenstrom
Turk Schonert
Don Bunce
Steve Dils
Trent Edwards
Mike Boryla
Chad Hutchinson
Guy Benjamin
Todd Husak

Your right, if "Quarterback U" means good or great NFL career. Stanford is the only school with two quarterbacks that have won at least two super bowls. They have had great college quarterbacks, but most have been backups in the NFL. I could make a case for Cal, with Aaron Rodgers, Jared Goff, Steve Bartkowski, Vince Ferragamo, Craig Morton Joe Kapp, Rich Campbell and Kyle Boller. It is tough.

Alabama has 3 Super Bowl winning QB alums (Starr, Namath, Stabler) and so does Purdue (Dawson, Griese, Brees). BYU has two (McMahon and Young). Louisville might be next with two (Unitas, maybe someday Lamar Jackson).
07-12-2020 08:28 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

(07-12-2020 08:28 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Jim Plunkett
John Elway
John Brodie
Andrew Luck
Kevin Hogan
Steve Stenstrom
Turk Schonert
Don Bunce
Steve Dils
Trent Edwards
Mike Boryla
Chad Hutchinson
Guy Benjamin
Todd Husak

Alabama has 3 Super Bowl winning QB alums (Starr, Namath, Stabler) and so does Purdue (Dawson, Griese, Brees). BYU has two (McMahon and Young). Louisville might be next with two (Unitas, maybe someday Lamar Jackson

But Plunkett and Elway each won two. Notre Dame has Montana and Theismann.
07-12-2020 08:55 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(07-12-2020 08:55 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(07-12-2020 08:28 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(07-12-2020 04:03 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  I think any "Quarterback U" list has to be historical. My choice would be Stanford with:
Jim Plunkett
John Elway
John Brodie
Andrew Luck
Kevin Hogan
Steve Stenstrom
Turk Schonert
Don Bunce
Steve Dils
Trent Edwards
Mike Boryla
Chad Hutchinson
Guy Benjamin
Todd Husak

Alabama has 3 Super Bowl winning QB alums (Starr, Namath, Stabler) and so does Purdue (Dawson, Griese, Brees). BYU has two (McMahon and Young). Louisville might be next with two (Unitas, maybe someday Lamar Jackson

But Plunkett and Elway each won two. Notre Dame has Montana and Theismann.

Michigan has Tom Brady........
07-12-2020 09:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.