TARLETON UNIVERSITY 11/14/2020 — TBA AWAY
WILEY COLLEGE 11/15/2020 — TBA AWAY
HOWARD PAYNE 11/20/2020 — TBA HOME
ANGELINA COLLEGE 11/23/2020 — TBA AWAY
LAKE HOUSTON 12/4/2020 — TBA AWAY
ST. EDWARDS 12/10/2020 — TBA AWAY
CENTENARY COLLEGE 12/13/2020 — TBA AWAY
INCARNATE WORD 12/20/2020 — TBA AWAY

Hats off to the school new to sports getting 2 D1 schools on their schedule for 2020. This school is a trade school just like Apprentice in Houston, Texas.
07-11-2020 12:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: North American University Fall Schedule In 3 Sports
Will their games against Strength in Motion and Our Lady of the Lake be televised on DavidSt+?
07-11-2020 12:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
Possible conferences NAU could join in the next 100 years, once they go D1 of course. I’m calling it

CUSA
Big 12
Southland
WAC
SWAC
Missouri Valley
Sun Belt
Summit
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2020 03:23 PM by DoubleRSU.)
07-11-2020 03:22 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(07-11-2020 03:22 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Possible conferences NAU could join in the next 100 years, once they go D1 of course. I’m calling it

CUSA
Big 12
Southland
WAC
SWAC
Missouri Valley
Sun Belt
Summit

Thank god the Big Sky is not on the list. That would get too confusing.
07-11-2020 05:13 PM
ccd494 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maine
I'll bite. Other than the buy game at Incarnate Word for the women, where is the second D-I game?
07-11-2020 07:42 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(07-11-2020 07:42 PM)ccd494 Wrote:  I'll bite. Other than the buy game at Incarnate Word for the women, where is the second D-I game?

Tarleton University which I think they left the State out.
07-11-2020 08:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
Stop trying to make this a big thing. Of the D2 schools on those schedules, Ferris State and Kentucky Wesleyan College football and St. Edward's women's basketball, they are NOT playing the varsity team. The schedules for all three teams are full to the D2 maximums of the number of contests allowed this coming year and none of them include this school. They are most likely playing a Club, JV, or Freshman team and it will surely be the same against the other NCAA schools despite what the schedule claims. I seriously doubt it would be a countable game since they are not associated with any athletic organization.
07-11-2020 11:27 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-11-2020 11:27 PM)AZcats Wrote:  Stop trying to make this a big thing. Of the D2 schools on those schedules, Ferris State and Kentucky Wesleyan College football and St. Edward's women's basketball, they are NOT playing the varsity team. The schedules for all three teams are full to the D2 maximums of the number of contests allowed this coming year and none of them include this school. They are most likely playing a Club, JV, or Freshman team and it will surely be the same against the other NCAA schools despite what the schedule claims. I seriously doubt it would be a countable game since they are not associated with any athletic organization.

They have the same accreditations as that of Apprentice that the NCAA gave them a provisional membership but no post season.

http://www.accsc.org/Directory/index.aspx

They are credited as Accrediting Commision of Career Schools and Colleges. Which Apprentice falls under. ACCSC is one of the legit accreditations out there.
07-12-2020 01:20 AM
AZcats Offline
1st String

(07-12-2020 01:20 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(07-11-2020 11:27 PM)AZcats Wrote:  Stop trying to make this a big thing. Of the D2 schools on those schedules, Ferris State and Kentucky Wesleyan College football and St. Edward's women's basketball, they are NOT playing the varsity team. The schedules for all three teams are full to the D2 maximums of the number of contests allowed this coming year and none of them include this school. They are most likely playing a Club, JV, or Freshman team and it will surely be the same against the other NCAA schools despite what the schedule claims. I seriously doubt it would be a countable game since they are not associated with any athletic organization.

They have the same accreditations as that of Apprentice that the NCAA gave them a provisional membership but no post season.

http://www.accsc.org/Directory/index.aspx

They are credited as Accrediting Commision of Career Schools and Colleges. Which Apprentice falls under. ACCSC is one of the legit accreditations out there.

I don't give a rat's what their accreditation is; that has nothing to do with what I said. The fact is, they are NOT playing the VARSITY D2 teams. Go look at those schedules and compare.

Apprentice is not a provisional NCAA member, only games against them are countable. Just because games against Apprentice are countable does not mean this school automatically gets the same privilege.
07-12-2020 11:43 AM
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
First, North American University is NOT a trade school in any way. They do hold the same accreditation as some trade/career schools do (for the short term) because it's easier to get quickly, than is regional accreditation. In their case, the regional accrediting agency is SACS. But some recognized accreditation is required in order for students to receive federal financial aid, so the path most new schools take is getting accredited as quickly as possible, even though that accreditation is not the best fit, or desired for the long term. It's a means to an end.

Secondly, Apprentice School and North American don't even have the same accreditation, so any comparison there is beyond a moot point.

To further make any other comparisons irrelevant, academic accreditation has absolutely no connection to whether their athletics are counted as a "countable" opponent.

North American is over half international students, primarily Turkish and a hand full of Central Asian nations formerly in the USSR. It is part of a loose network of educational institutions worldwide including high schools and universities that are funded by a very influential Turkish business person and religious leader.

They seem to be trying hard to expand this base of students and recruit more local students and I think athletics is a key strategy to that goal.

Computer science is the strongest program. As you may notice, they keep extremely elite company. https://www.fastcompany.com/3066485/thes...top-coders

They are roughly half grad students. https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q=...795#accred
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2020 09:58 PM by Todor.)
07-12-2020 09:52 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

They used to be accredited by ACICS, but lost recognition with the ITT and other for-profit schools callapsing. Many institutions left, and wound up with the Career. North American U. is looking to get SACS and join the NAIA. They might be able to get a provisional membership until they get SACS, but can't compete in post season. It is the same set up that Apprentice got for D3 for sheduling purposes.
07-12-2020 11:32 PM
Advertisement

AZcats Offline
1st String

Wish I had found this earlier.

Quote:2019-20 Non-Countable Opponents

The following institutions have been evaluated and contests against these opponents may not be reported to the National Statistical Service nor will the contest be included in statistics, won-loss records and coaching records. These opponents may only be scheduled for scrimmages and/or exhibitions.

Lewis-Clark Valley Football Association - Lewiston, ID: Does not meet the countable opponent critera. Is not an institution of higher learning.

North American University - Houston, TX: Institution does not meet the accreditation or NCCAA membership requirement

FULL LIST

Since these teams are non-countable by the NAIA, they are definitely non-countable by the NCAA also.
08-03-2020 10:57 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
Their schedule shows a game against Hardin-Simmons on 8/27. Hardin-Simmons is part of the D-III American Southwest Conference, who has moved football to a five-game schedule in the spring.

In checking the schedules, Ferris State shows an open date on 9/12, and Kentucky Wesleyan shows an open date on 11/7. But, these would have to be non-countable games for the D-II schools. Ferris State is a strong Division II program. It's a long way from Houston to Big Rapids, MI for a blowout.
08-03-2020 11:19 PM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(07-11-2020 05:13 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(07-11-2020 03:22 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Possible conferences NAU could join in the next 100 years, once they go D1 of course. I’m calling it

CUSA
Big 12
Southland
WAC
SWAC
Missouri Valley
Sun Belt
Summit

Thank god the Big Sky is not on the list. That would get too confusing.

Glad the Great Northern isn't in there too.
08-04-2020 05:29 AM
AZcats Offline
1st String

(08-03-2020 11:19 PM)johnintx Wrote:  Their schedule shows a game against Hardin-Simmons on 8/27. Hardin-Simmons is part of the D-III American Southwest Conference, who has moved football to a five-game schedule in the spring.

In checking the schedules, Ferris State shows an open date on 9/12, and Kentucky Wesleyan shows an open date on 11/7. But, these would have to be non-countable games for the D-II schools. Ferris State is a strong Division II program. It's a long way from Houston to Big Rapids, MI for a blowout.

I saw the open dates at Ferris State and Kentucky Wesleyan as well. Without dismissing the coincidence, I find it very unlikely that this team would be on the varsity schedule for the D2 schools. In-Region games have a very high importance in the selections for D2 postseason so it could be harmful to waste a game that will not count for anything.
08-04-2020 12:54 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-04-2020 12:54 PM)AZcats Wrote:  
(08-03-2020 11:19 PM)johnintx Wrote:  Their schedule shows a game against Hardin-Simmons on 8/27. Hardin-Simmons is part of the D-III American Southwest Conference, who has moved football to a five-game schedule in the spring.

I saw the open dates at Ferris State and Kentucky Wesleyan as well. Without dismissing the coincidence, I find it very unlikely that this team would be on the varsity schedule for the D2 schools. In-Region games have a very high importance in the selections for D2 postseason so it could be harmful to waste a game that will not count for anything.

They have the same accredidation as Apprentice which any games with them do count. You havt to have SACs, TRACs, the Career accreditation or a special case situation with D3 allow Lewis and Clark Valley be a countable game for the northwest schools.
08-04-2020 02:47 PM
Advertisement

AZcats Offline
1st String

(08-04-2020 02:47 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(08-04-2020 12:54 PM)AZcats Wrote:  

They have the same accredidation as Apprentice which any games with them do count. You havt to have SACs, TRACs, the Career accreditation or a special case situation with D3 allow Lewis and Clark Valley be a countable game for the northwest schools.

Don't bloody care if they have the same accreditation. Does D3 allow them as a COUNTABLE game? Show the link.
08-04-2020 03:49 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
They are listed as non-countable as of late May 2020. I have no reason to believe that has changed without the list being updated. This comes from the NCAA itself.

fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/ForSIDs/CountOppDefinition.pdf
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2020 07:48 PM by Todor.)
08-04-2020 07:47 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-04-2020 07:47 PM)Todor Wrote:  They are listed as non-countable as of late May 2020. I have no reason to believe that has changed without the list being updated. This comes from the NCAA itself.

Quote:• The institution must be a four-year, degree-granting institution and must compete as a four-year, degreegranting institution.

North American University fits that bill in the by-laws. They just happened to start up sports in recent years may have made NCAA to think that they are a school like College of Faith. When they are under the same accreditations as Apprentice and Apprentice is accountable? Then, someone in the NCAA's department made a mistake.
08-05-2020 05:10 PM
ccd494 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maine
(08-05-2020 05:10 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(08-04-2020 07:47 PM)Todor Wrote:  They are listed as non-countable as of late May 2020. I have no reason to believe that has changed without the list being updated. This comes from the NCAA itself.

Quote:• The institution must be a four-year, degree-granting institution and must compete as a four-year, degreegranting institution.

North American University fits that bill in the by-laws. They just happened to start up sports in recent years may have made NCAA to think that they are a school like College of Faith. When they are under the same accreditations as Apprentice and Apprentice is accountable? Then, someone in the NCAA's department made a mistake.

That is only one of three requirements. The second is being a varsity program. They also must satisfy one of the following:

1. Be an active, provisional, or reclassifying member of the NCAA
2. Be accredited by one of the six listed regional accrediting bodies which I won't type out but that neither Apprentice nor NAU have been accredited by
3. Meet some requirements you can only meet if your school is in Canada
4. Be an active or associate member of the NAIA
5. Be an active or associate member of the NCCAA

I, frankly, don't see how either NAU or Apprentice satisfies any of those requirements.
08-05-2020 06:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.