Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis Athletics Budget Update
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
https://gotigersgo.com/news/2020/7/9/gen...pdate.aspx

MEMPHIS, Tenn. – Memphis Athletics has identified difficult cost reduction measures in anticipation of revenue impacts associated with the COVID-19 global pandemic. While the full realization of those impacts remains uncertain, at a minimum, it is clear that social distancing requirements will have a significant impact on ticket sales capacity and Tiger Scholarship Fund revenues, among other projected losses.

As the budget planning process approaches completion, Memphis Athletics has taken proactive measures to reduce costs to $4.4 million for the 2020-21 fiscal year, according to Director of Athletics Laird Veatch. These efforts include a 14% reduction to administrative and sports operational budgets, in addition to significant personnel savings, as compared to prior year expenses.

"I greatly appreciate the flexibility and sacrifices by our coaches and staff through this challenging budgeting process," Veatch said. "There has arguably never been a more uncertain financial period in our history, and the collective understanding of the sacrifices necessary by our entire athletics staff is both encouraging and appreciated."

Impacts will be felt across the department, including more regionalized non-conference scheduling for many sports - in an effort to significantly reduce travel costs.

In addition, Veatch announced that he and a number of Athletics Department employees are making voluntary philanthropic contributions to the Tiger Scholarship Fund to help during this unprecedented time. While Veatch and his wife, Brandy, have elected to donate 10% of his salary for the next six months, he recently asked others in the Tiger Athletics Department family to consider doing what they can. The early returns are encouraging.

"I have been so humbled and inspired by the initial response we have received, including the immediate leadership demonstrated by head coaches Penny Hardaway, Ryan Silverfield and Melissa McFerrin, who will collectively be giving back nearly $200,000 to Memphis Athletics," said Veatch.

Significant efforts have been made to maintain the student-athlete experience, including an additional investment of more than $300,000 in scholarships for 23 returning seniors who had their spring competitive seasons cut short due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

"While some universities across the country are finding it necessary to take drastic measures such as eliminating entire sports programs, I am proud of the staff for finding cost reductions and making the sacrifices necessary that give us the best opportunity to emerge from this crisis in a stronger and healthier position. I want to thank the University of Memphis administration and the Memphis Tigers community for their unwavering support during this difficult time," said Veatch.
07-09-2020 06:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tigerjeb Offline
Legend

RE: Memphis Athletics Budget Update
on the loss of the Purdue game

"We are aware of the decision by the Big Ten Conference to eliminate all non-conference football games for the 2020 season, including the Memphis at Purdue game scheduled for Sept. 12. I want to thank the Purdue Athletics administration for keeping us appraised of the situation as best as they could. While the contract has certain financial provisions, those will be addressed at a later date as will any discussion related to a replacement game."
07-09-2020 07:02 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
(07-09-2020 07:02 PM)tigerjeb Wrote:  on the loss of the Purdue game

"We are aware of the decision by the Big Ten Conference to eliminate all non-conference football games for the 2020 season, including the Memphis at Purdue game scheduled for Sept. 12. I want to thank the Purdue Athletics administration for keeping us appraised of the situation as best as they could. While the contract has certain financial provisions, those will be addressed at a later date as will any discussion related to a replacement game."

North Texas lost our game against Texas A&M on Sept. 12. Does Memphis want to play at UNT?
07-09-2020 09:35 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
I'm guessing that statement from Memphis that says "reduce costs TO $4.4M" should probably read "BY $4.4M.

Unless we're planning on cutting a $50M+ budget by $46M+.
07-09-2020 10:28 PM
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

(07-09-2020 10:28 PM)TripleA Wrote:  I'm guessing that statement from Memphis that says "reduce costs TO $4.4M" should probably read "BY $4.4M.

Unless we're planning on cutting a $50M+ budget by $46M+.

yes. thats correct.
07-10-2020 08:23 AM
Advertisement

tigerjeb Offline
Legend

(07-09-2020 09:35 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(07-09-2020 07:02 PM)tigerjeb Wrote:  on the loss of the Purdue game

North Texas lost our game against Texas A&M on Sept. 12. Does Memphis want to play at UNT?

i would venture a guess that memphis would not want to travel and play 3 games in texas in 4 weeks.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020 08:25 AM by tigerjeb.)
07-10-2020 08:25 AM
GoDownSwinging Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
Going to be interesting to see how President Rudd and Veatch handle the process. With being a G5 university that will probably lose $750,000 for not playing the Purdue game, it'll be interesting to see if Memphis plays UT-Martin. I don't know how much Memphis will pay the Skyhawks in order to play them. But, with recent renovations to the soccer field (new lights), money invested to renovate the Elma Roane Fieldhouse, making small renovations to the Finch center for the volleyball team, and defiantly renovating the tennis complex down the street from the university, I'd imagine those sports (soccer, volleyball, and tennis) would be safe.
If Memphis were to cut a sport, baseball would make the perfect sense (largely due to lack of recent success, Title IX concerns, and no revenue).
07-10-2020 01:28 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(07-10-2020 01:28 PM)GoDownSwinging Wrote:  Going to be interesting to see how President Rudd and Veatch handle the process. With being a G5 university that will probably lose $750,000 for not playing the Purdue game, it'll be interesting to see if Memphis plays UT-Martin. I don't know how much Memphis will pay the Skyhawks in order to play them. But, with recent renovations to the soccer field (new lights), money invested to renovate the Elma Roane Fieldhouse, making small renovations to the Finch center for the volleyball team, and defiantly renovating the tennis complex down the street from the university, I'd imagine those sports (soccer, volleyball, and tennis) would be safe.
If Memphis were to cut a sport, baseball would make the perfect sense (largely due to lack of recent success, Title IX concerns, and no revenue).

You mean cut baseball permanently, or just for next spring? Memphis is already at the NCAA-mandated minimum of 16 sports, iirc. And the NCAA has not relaxed that rule, afaik.
07-10-2020 02:56 PM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

(07-10-2020 02:56 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(07-10-2020 01:28 PM)GoDownSwinging Wrote:  Going to be interesting to see how President Rudd and Veatch handle the process. With being a G5 university that will probably lose $750,000 for not playing the Purdue game, it'll be interesting to see if Memphis plays UT-Martin. I don't know how much Memphis will pay the Skyhawks in order to play them. But, with recent renovations to the soccer field (new lights), money invested to renovate the Elma Roane Fieldhouse, making small renovations to the Finch center for the volleyball team, and defiantly renovating the tennis complex down the street from the university, I'd imagine those sports (soccer, volleyball, and tennis) would be safe.

You mean cut baseball permanently, or just for next spring? Memphis is already at the NCAA-mandated minimum of 16 sports, iirc. And the NCAA has not relaxed that rule, afaik.
Veatch, and Rudd for that matter, said they aren't looking at dropping sports. I'm guessing he's trying to pick which one would go first if forced into it. Limited to no fans really hurts a team like Memphis (highest Tix+Contrib. in the G5...higher than a couple P5). If attendance is restricted long term then I could see major issues developing, but then again everyone else would be in the same boat too.
07-10-2020 03:23 PM
Advertisement

GoDownSwinging Offline
Special Teams

I won't say cut it "permantely" but cut it for now. It'll probably save the most money.
Memphis is currently at 18 varsity sports (unless Track & Field, Golf, and Tennis is merged into 1 sport)

Men sports: Football, basketball, baseball, rifle, golf, tennis, track & field, cross country, and soccer. That's 9
Women's sports: Softball, basketball, volleyball, rifle, soccer, track & field, cross country, tennis, and golf. That's 9
07-10-2020 04:11 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
I have a feeling FBS may have to relax some requirements (such as minimum sports sponsored) during this crisis. We already know they turned down a blanket G5 waiver for all FBS requirements, however, they did say they would consider individual waivers on a individual school basis.
07-10-2020 06:33 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(07-10-2020 04:11 PM)GoDownSwinging Wrote:  

I won't say cut it "permantely" but cut it for now. It'll probably save the most money.
Memphis is currently at 18 varsity sports (unless Track & Field, Golf, and Tennis is merged into 1 sport)

Men sports: Football, basketball, baseball, rifle, golf, tennis, track & field, cross country, and soccer. That's 9
Women's sports: Softball, basketball, volleyball, rifle, soccer, track & field, cross country, tennis, and golf. That's 9

Last time I checked (about a year ago), Rifle is not an NCAA sponsored sport. It is a club sport. So it's 16, as far as the NCAA rule goes.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2020 02:56 PM by TripleA.)
07-11-2020 02:55 PM
GoDownSwinging Offline
Special Teams

(07-11-2020 02:55 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

Last time I checked (about a year ago), Rifle is not an NCAA sponsored sport. It is a club sport. So it's 16, as far as the NCAA rule goes.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I thought Rifle was a sport that is being played at the Olympics? So I'd assume it was a sport as well.
07-12-2020 05:22 PM
Advertisement

tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(07-12-2020 05:22 PM)GoDownSwinging Wrote:  

Interesting, I didn't know that. I thought Rifle was a sport that is being played at the Olympics? So I'd assume it was a sport as well.

It can still be a sport but only played at a club level in college. You will see that with rugby, hockey, and lacrosse at other universities in the South.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07-13-2020 10:57 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(07-12-2020 05:22 PM)GoDownSwinging Wrote:  

It's a sport. It's just not an NCAA sponsored sport. I don't think there are more than about 20 universities nationwide who even have a club team.

Plus, in rifle, I don't think we have men's and women's club teams. They are all on one team.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2020 11:19 AM by TripleA.)
07-13-2020 11:17 AM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
Might be club at Memphis, might not be, but Rifle is an NCAA sponsored sport...

https://navysports.com/news/2020/2/25/na...nship.aspx

Edited to add:
Looks like Memphis' Rifle team IS varsity sport, not club. They are in the Great American Rifle Conference along with Navy. Hosted the GARC Championship in February.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2020 12:51 PM by slhNavy91.)
07-13-2020 12:48 PM
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

(07-13-2020 12:48 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  Might be club at Memphis, might not be, but Rifle is an NCAA sponsored sport...

Edited to add:
Looks like Memphis' Rifle team IS varsity sport, not club. They are in the Great American Rifle Conference along with Navy. Hosted the GARC Championship in February.

he typed this at the same time i was. the only thing i would add is rifle teams are coed so although rifle is listed under "mens" in reality it is not just.
07-13-2020 12:56 PM
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

And Memphis has a women's Olympic member on its staff, is ranked in top 10 nationally & has all-Americans on the team.
07-13-2020 12:59 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
I stand corrected on the NCAA sponsorship. Last time I looked it up, a few years ago, the Memphis team was a club sport.

Also, according to Wiki, there are only 23 (actually 22 listed) D1 teams that have rifle, including Memphis and Navy, so making the top 10 is not a great achievement. I looked this up a few years ago when we were top 10, and there were only 14 teams then, lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NC...e_programs

And the original post on this subject listed Memphis with 18 sports, when there are no separate men's and women's teams, as noted. It's co-ed, probably to get around Title IX.

Also, one of the teams listed by Wiki is all female.

I still suspect Rifle doesn't count as a sport toward the 16 team NCAA minimum, b/c so few schools sponsor it. Also, part of my thinking is I saw an article recently that said Memphis sponsored the minimum of 16 sports (didn't save the link).

On GTG, it lists 9 sports each for men and women, but includes Rifle on both sides of the ledger, and we know that is only one team.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2020 06:05 AM by TripleA.)
07-15-2020 06:01 AM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
(07-13-2020 12:48 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  Might be club at Memphis, might not be, but Rifle is an NCAA sponsored sport...

Edited to add:

#9 Memphis vs #15 Navy Rifle match today.
The Midshipmen will shoot in the Bancroft Hall Rifle Range (yes, the largest dormitory in the free world has a rifle range in the one of the basements), while the Tigers will shoot in Oxford, Miss., as they are also competing against No. 3 Ole Miss in a shoulder-to-shoulder competition.

edited for update: Memphis beats Navy 4,693 to 4,656. On to NCAA qualifying
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2021 05:21 PM by slhNavy91.)
02-13-2021 09:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.