Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Spring Football forces Big12 Expansion???
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Spring Football forces Big12 Expansion???
A lot of the conversation around College Football is starting to shift to the football season being pushed to the Spring due to Covid.

ESPN has alluded that Spring Season would most likely be Conference Only Scheduling.

The Big12 is at a disadvantage with only 10 teams. A round robin schedule only gives them 9 games. There are certainly other options they can explore but expansion might be on the table.

Given the situation, I would expect geography to be a larger factor than it normally is. So SMU, Houston, Memphis (maybe BYU) would probably be near the top of the list.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020 01:59 PM by Wedge.)
07-09-2020 10:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TDenverFan Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: Spring Football forces Big12 Expansion
I feel like they would just do in season home and homes rather than long term expansion for a 1 year thing.

Long term, the Big 12 doesn't really want any of those schools (At least not until they make some improvements), or they would've been invited years ago.

If it's truly based on conference only, and not geography, it would be easy for the Big 12 to just have teams play certain teams twice, like they do in basketball or other sports.
07-09-2020 10:23 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Call me crazy, but I think FCS should move to a Spring schedule on a permanent basis.

Why?

So they can spend March-June as the only football on tv.
07-09-2020 10:27 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Or just include 1 OOC game as part of the each Big 12 teams schedule. Could be against the local FCS team.

Problem solved
07-09-2020 10:29 AM
Realignment Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USC Trojans
(07-09-2020 10:27 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Call me crazy, but I think FCS should move to a Spring schedule on a permanent basis.

Why?

So they can spend March-June as the only football on tv.

I like this idea. It would make a lot of sense and could actually be successful since the teams are tied to the Universities, it makes it more legitimate considering how popular College Football & March Madness is.
07-09-2020 11:46 PM
Thiefery Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TEXAS
I'm kinda skeptical on spring football even if only the FCS. Nicer weather has people out and about. And even though it's just a small percentage, we wouldn't see some of the better players since they would be preparing for the NFL draft rather than the season.

Big 12 wouldn't expand, they would random select home and home games to make a 10th game. I know the ACC will take care of ND, but ND would be an easy 1 season off-shoot add for Big 12 play
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020 05:42 AM by Thiefery.)
07-10-2020 05:39 AM
Advertisement

PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
Expansion? No, not unless a desirable P5 team(s) come(s) available. That's not likely.

However, if we can play a full schedule, hopefully some games can be picked up to backfill our schedules affected by others' stop-play.

Or maybe all others in the P5 except the Big XII and SEC stop play, and then we dominate TV, recruiting, and transfers. :-)
07-10-2020 06:33 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Moot point, there will be no FB season this year.
07-10-2020 06:47 AM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
If you wanted to have a 10th game for the Big 12 teams, maybe they could play their in conference rivals a second time? Imagine OU and Texas playing twice in a home and home, rather than the neutral Cotton Bowl location. They could use those rival games as book ends, and hopefully by then things will be better RE: coronavirus and the bonus rival game leads to more butts in seats and revenue in the coffers.
07-10-2020 07:40 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(07-09-2020 10:04 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  A lot of the conversation around College Football is starting to shift to the football season being pushed to the Spring due to Covid.

ESPN has alluded that Spring Season would most likely be Conference Only Scheduling.

The Big12 is at a disadvantage with only 10 teams. A round robin schedule only gives them 9 games. There are certainly other options they can explore but expansion might be on the table.

Given the situation, I would expect geography to be a larger factor than it normally is. So SMU, Houston, Memphis (maybe BYU) would probably be near the top of the list.

Nice way to sneak a new expansion thread in. 04-jawdrop 02-13-banana 02-13-banana 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 05-stirthepot 05-stirthepot 05-stirthepot 03-shhhh 03-shhhh COGS COGS 04-cheers
07-10-2020 08:09 AM
SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
(07-09-2020 10:04 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  A lot of the conversation around College Football is starting to shift to the football season being pushed to the Spring due to Covid.

I disagree with ESPN on that. Some conferences have 10 teams, some 11, some 12, and some as many as 14. I personally think every team should play a 10 game season, conference game or not.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020 08:15 AM by SMUstang.)
07-10-2020 08:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
Some independent would make the most sense. They would have the most flexibility in their scheduling because of all the schools in a conference will have dropped them for a year.
07-10-2020 08:50 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
The Big 12 isn't going to expand to get any kind of advantage for 1 season.
07-10-2020 08:53 AM
michael.stevens.3110 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TCU
Spring Football forces Big12 Expansion
The Teams are SMU,Houston,Rice and Tulsa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
07-10-2020 09:03 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts

Why would ANYONE want to play more than just an 8-9 game league slate in the spring?

NFL playoffs are going to be on Saturday January 9 and 16. Super Bowl is going to suck all the air out of the room first weekend in February.

NFL combine will be last week in February and invitees are going to skip practice and playing at least that week.

High prospects probably won't play at all, mid late round prospects probably quit around combine certainly after if they do well in Indy.

Draft in April, no one drafted is sticking around.

March Madness starts March 16 and is a TV juggernaut each weekend to April 5 and the Masters is the next weekend

B1G, MAC, much of the ACC, and MWC are dealing with crap weather to at least mid-March.

Forced into spring no one is going to be looking for more games to play except for independents.
07-10-2020 09:10 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(07-10-2020 09:10 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

Why would ANYONE want to play more than just an 8-9 game league slate in the spring?

NFL playoffs are going to be on Saturday January 9 and 16. Super Bowl is going to suck all the air out of the room first weekend in February.

NFL combine will be last week in February and invitees are going to skip practice and playing at least that week.

High prospects probably won't play at all, mid late round prospects probably quit around combine certainly after if they do well in Indy.

March Madness starts March 16 and is a TV juggernaut each weekend to April 5 and the Masters is the next weekend

B1G, MAC, much of the ACC, and MWC are dealing with crap weather to at least mid-March.

Forced into spring no one is going to be looking for more games to play except for independents.

Yep. People think game in the Midwest are cold in November, February can be absolutely brutal- sometimes sub zero. At least in November it can usually be in the 50s.

Guys are not going to want to play two football seasons in one calendar year. That is too taxing on the body. If a player years an ACL or something like that in the spring he has zero shot at the fall.
07-10-2020 09:15 AM
Advertisement

SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs

I guess I’m selfishly thinking about the SMU vs TCU rivalry.
07-10-2020 09:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
People might tune in to the superbowl for the game, but not for the entire week. No one knows for sure if the NFL will play in the fall or may move it to the spring.
07-10-2020 09:17 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(07-10-2020 09:17 AM)kevinwmsn Wrote:  People might tune in to the superbowl for the game, but not for the entire week. No one knows for sure if the NFL will play in the fall or may move it to the spring.

Oh people will watch but all the SportsCenter, newspaper, tv news, attention is going to previewing the Super Bowl not recapping Texas Tech and Baylor.
07-10-2020 09:26 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(07-10-2020 09:15 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

Yep. People think game in the Midwest are cold in November, February can be absolutely brutal- sometimes sub zero. At least in November it can usually be in the 50s.

Guys are not going to want to play two football seasons in one calendar year. That is too taxing on the body. If a player years an ACL or something like that in the spring he has zero shot at the fall.

Not just MAC and B1G. Logan Utah and Boise Idaho aren't toasty in February nor is Boston or West Point
07-10-2020 09:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.