UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

IF: 2020 Talent/Depth vs 2021
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
UAB football is poised in 2020 to make some serious noise and keep some national eyeballs on The Return.

but...

If there is no 2020 season, how does 2021 look? I'm seeing a lot of seniors on the current roster (granted I was just scanning...sure some of you know this by heart). Would suck so badly to miss what we could post in 2020, then have 2021 be a 5-7 win season.
07-09-2020 12:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bftb Offline
Go Blazers!

RE: IF: 2020 Talent/Depth vs 2021
(07-09-2020 12:14 AM)blazr Wrote:  UAB football is poised in 2020 to make some serious noise and keep some national eyeballs on The Return.

but...

If there is no 2020 season, how does 2021 look? I'm seeing a lot of seniors on the current roster (granted I was just scanning...sure some of you know this by heart). Would suck so badly to miss what we could post in 2020, then have 2021 be a 5-7 win season.

I think our current depth chart has 15 senior starters. But I am guessing that if there is no 2020 season the NCAA will add an extra year of eligibility, and most of those guys will be back. A few of them may be no-doubt NFL prospects, but most are not, and will need another season to prove themselves. Of course, some who graduate may decide it's time to move on in the adult world (especially those who are already fifth-year seniors this year).
07-09-2020 09:28 AM
bftb Offline
Go Blazers!

Another tricky issue IF there is no 2020 season, and IF players are offered another year of eligibility, what do you do with scholarship limits the next year (and following years even) when you have new freshmen classes to add, but have only lost a small number of graduates who have exhausted their eligibility? And since everyone would gain a year--that's a rolling expansion of roster size, and for how long? And that only adds to the cost of a football program (and other sports, too, that might be cancelled), which increases the expenses in a time when they will need to be cut.

Let's hope everyone but the Ivies play this season, and we avoid all of this.
07-09-2020 09:48 AM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
I’ve thought about this also.. since we aren’t BAMA, Ohio state, etc, I’d have to think that most of our upper classmen/seniors would come back for another year. We’d lose a few of course, but I feel like it wouldn’t be a huge attrition from the senior class. I’m also assuming the NCAA would give them another year of eligibility. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but I’d we don’t play this season, hopefully we’re only “postponing” our good season from 2020 to 2021..
07-09-2020 10:24 AM
Advertisement

Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
(07-09-2020 10:24 AM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  I’ve thought about this also.. since we aren’t BAMA, Ohio state, etc, I’d have to think that most of our upper classmen/seniors would come back for another year. We’d lose a few of course, but I feel like it wouldn’t be a huge attrition from the senior class. I’m also assuming the NCAA would give them another year of eligibility. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but I’d we don’t play this season, hopefully we’re only “postponing” our good season from 2020 to 2021..

The players will want another year of eligibility, as they should, but it may not be for their benefit. We're seeing that roster management is moving a lot of those seniors out in baseball & softball to make room for freshmen.
07-09-2020 12:37 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

(07-09-2020 09:48 AM)bftb Wrote:  Another tricky issue IF there is no 2020 season, and IF players are offered another year of eligibility, what do you do with scholarship limits the next year (and following years even) when you have new freshmen classes to add, but have only lost a small number of graduates who have exhausted their eligibility? And since everyone would gain a year--that's a rolling expansion of roster size, and for how long? And that only adds to the cost of a football program (and other sports, too, that might be cancelled), which increases the expenses in a time when they will need to be cut.

This is the wall I come up against, too. Fair enough to give players an extra year, but then you have a recruiting class of maximum 25 players. I say “maximum” because the bigger issue is the max number (is it still 85?) of players on scholarship. Does that get waived (to, say, 100)? If so, when and how do they require schools to prune back to 85? Some future recruiting class is going to get screwed...no way around it. Can’t ignore it because that’s the one (well, main) factor that defines FBS v FCS, levels the field between G5 & P5 programs, and - most importantly - keeps programs from stockpiling top talent just to keep them away from rivals (something for which Papa Bear was notorious).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2020 05:35 PM by blazr.)
07-09-2020 05:34 PM
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-09-2020 05:34 PM)blazr Wrote:  
(07-09-2020 09:48 AM)bftb Wrote:  Another tricky issue IF there is no 2020 season, and IF players are offered another year of eligibility, what do you do with scholarship limits the next year (and following years even) when you have new freshmen classes to add, but have only lost a small number of graduates who have exhausted their eligibility? And since everyone would gain a year--that's a rolling expansion of roster size, and for how long? And that only adds to the cost of a football program (and other sports, too, that might be cancelled), which increases the expenses in a time when they will need to be cut.

This is the wall I come up against, too. Fair enough to give players an extra year, but then you have a recruiting class of maximum 25 players. I say “maximum” because the bigger issue is the max number (is it still 85?) of players on scholarship. Does that get waived (to, say, 100)? If so, when and how do they require schools to prune back to 85? Some future recruiting class is going to get screwed...no way around it. Can’t ignore it because that’s the one (well, main) factor that defines FBS v FCS, levels the field between G5 & P5 programs, and - most importantly - keeps programs from stockpiling top talent just to keep them away from rivals (something for which Papa Bear was notorious).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you've hit on the issue. Hard caps on numbers throughout college athletics are going to have to be revisited
07-09-2020 06:32 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
If the 2020 season is not played, the student athletes may see an opportunity to take greater course loads this year due to COVID caused reductions in practice times giving those who are not seriously looking at the NFL a chance to perhaps graduate earlier %/or improve grade/class standings. A few are already using their senior year as a start on graduate school as is. How will recruiting be affected for high school prospects who will be added to the player mix next year? Will the NCAA give waivers for schools needing to have more than 85 on football scholarships since no one will progress their standing from 2019?
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2020 04:12 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
07-11-2020 04:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.