WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BIG Schedule Changes
StrikeGold1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WMU
BIG Schedule Changes
Looks like the Big 10 might only play conference games this fall. Bad for the MAC.

https://northwestern.rivals.com/news/ten...y-for-2020
07-08-2020 04:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: BIG Schedule Changes
MAC-B1G games affected. Several teams would have 2 holes in their schedule:

BGSU-Ohio State
BGSU-Illinois
Buffalo-Ohio State
Kent State-Penn State
Ball State-Michigan
Ball State-Indiana
CMU-Nebraska
CMU-Northwestern
NIU-Maryland
NIU-Iowa
Toledo-MSU

Quote:The 10 games probably would be played over 13-14 weeks.

"They're just trying to create flexibility if a team gets a bunch of cases and they can't play one week," said the source. "They want flexibility. Control and flexibility are key. Give yourself maybe two or three weeks of flexibility with 10 games over 13, 14 weeks. … that gives you flexibility to maneuver games around if a team can't play because they get too many cases."

I'm having a hard time understanding this explanation.

If a team gets a bunch of cases and they can't play "one week," then they probably can't play for the rest of the season.

Are they saying they're leaving the schedule open for an on-the-fly mix and match if schools start dropping out of the season?

I love college football, but I wouldn't mind if we sidelined it for this academic year. Empty stadiums, conference-only games, weekly updates on how many players and coaches are down, teams dropping out... too many distractions to even make it enjoyable.
07-08-2020 08:33 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Just move to spring
07-08-2020 09:45 PM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
(07-08-2020 08:33 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  MAC-B1G games affected. Several teams would have 2 holes in their schedule:

BGSU-Ohio State
BGSU-Illinois
Buffalo-Ohio State
Kent State-Penn State
Ball State-Michigan
Ball State-Indiana
CMU-Nebraska
CMU-Northwestern
NIU-Maryland
NIU-Iowa
Toledo-MSU

Quote:The 10 games probably would be played over 13-14 weeks.

"They're just trying to create flexibility if a team gets a bunch of cases and they can't play one week," said the source. "They want flexibility. Control and flexibility are key. Give yourself maybe two or three weeks of flexibility with 10 games over 13, 14 weeks. … that gives you flexibility to maneuver games around if a team can't play because they get too many cases."

I'm having a hard time understanding this explanation.

If a team gets a bunch of cases and they can't play "one week," then they probably can't play for the rest of the season.

Are they saying they're leaving the schedule open for an on-the-fly mix and match if schools start dropping out of the season?

I love college football, but I wouldn't mind if we sidelined it for this academic year. Empty stadiums, conference-only games, weekly updates on how many players and coaches are down, teams dropping out... too many distractions to even make it enjoyable.

If they weren't counting on $60 million in TV money, they wouldn't even consider having sports. Most universities are probably more concerned actually getting $$$ from students in general. If I was in school, I'd probably consider taking a gap year until this country figures itself out.
07-08-2020 10:33 PM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

(07-08-2020 09:45 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  Just move to spring

And then when we can't play in the spring, move it to Fall 2021.

Seriously, the sports world looks very bleak. At least NASCAR is back.
07-09-2020 11:15 AM
Advertisement

flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

Next time you see someone in a grocery store or a convenience mart not wearing a mask... make sure to let them know they are part of the reason we don't have sports and probably won't this year or next if this continues.
07-09-2020 12:35 PM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

And there you have it, B1G moving to conference only for fall sports. Give it another week or so and fall sports will be cancelled.
07-09-2020 02:33 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

If we lose the Notre Dame $, does it even make sense to bring in Syracuse (or Stony Brook, for that matter) and pay them? Depends on how all these contracts are worded, I suppose.

Figure this is the start of the dominoes, where everyone will eventually be conference-only. Which presents an interesting scenario for schools like Notre Dame and BYU. But like Nacho said, wouldn't be surprised if it's all shelved either to Spring or snuffed out for the whole year.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2020 03:02 PM by Motown Bronco.)
07-09-2020 03:02 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

07-09-2020 03:35 PM
Advertisement

okgc Online
Heisman

Update:

Big Ten plans for only conference competition in football, all sports

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/colle...408283002/
07-09-2020 04:56 PM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-09-2020 03:35 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Syracuse out.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/statu...8341506065

And the fiscal hits just keep a coming... WMU is getting jobbed because people in this damn country can't seem to stop being selfish a$$ wagons.

If we as a society just stopped being selfish pricks... and took care of our personal responsibilities until this was under control we wouldn't be in this predicament.

Wear a mask... socially distance. Don't have a 1000+ strong lake party with a bunch of people drunk and all over each other...

Idiots.

And yet its happening all over the state.... just dumb moronic "im invincible" behaviour.
07-09-2020 06:04 PM
WMUlaxer97 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU & UofM
(07-09-2020 06:04 PM)flushtheherd Wrote:  

And the fiscal hits just keep a coming... WMU is getting jobbed because people in this damn country can't seem to stop being selfish a$$ wagons.

If we as a society just stopped being selfish pricks... and took care of our personal responsibilities until this was under control we wouldn't be in this predicament.

Wear a mask... socially distance. Don't have a 1000+ strong lake party with a bunch of people drunk and all over each other...

Idiots.

And yet its happening all over the state.... just dumb moronic "im invincible" behaviour.

Last update from the Harpers EL outbreak was at 174 with 33 having not even been there but had contracted from a patron or employee of that bar. This is what we know. I’m sure not everyone that went there had been tested.

These are the facts: countries and societies that acted responsibly-tested early and frequently, traced infections and contacts, supplied proper PPE to healthcare workers and gen population , maintained proper quarantines of infected and exposed people and kept people from congregating and spreading the disease are now benefitting from decreasing and manageable cases and fatalities.
We do not check any of the aforementioned boxes, NONE, ZERO, F, Fail. In the long run, the shorter term pain of taking the appropriate measures will serve them well as we languish to restart schooling and businesses. Those countries will not allow flights in from the US.
https://www.lansingcitypulse.com/stories...sing,14663
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2020 07:23 PM by WMUlaxer97.)
07-09-2020 07:20 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

If football happens at all (looking shaky), and even assuming all P5 conferences go to conference games only, our Notre Dame game might be an anomaly that's still played.

And Kalamazoo to South Bend is a really short bus ride anyhow.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2020/07/...020-season

Quote:Sept. 19 Western Michigan
Sort of like the date with Navy, expect Notre Dame will still have this available. The MAC will want anything it can get with the outside world, and it certainly wouldn’t want to lose the game against the Irish. If this is allowed by the ACC liability-wise, assume for now that it’s still on.
07-09-2020 08:48 PM
Advertisement

bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
This feels like a slow moving version of March 11, where the Ivy shut down, pro players tested positive, and within days, everyone was done. If there's no non conference games, the MAC is playing football for maybe about $500k per school from ESPN, and no fans. That may makes sense for the Big Ten to try to play for $30-50 million per school from ESPN/FOX, but for the MAC? I think by September, there will be no college football.
07-10-2020 06:04 AM
Nacho Offline
Heisman

(07-10-2020 06:04 AM)bronconick Wrote:  This feels like a slow moving version of March 11, where the Ivy shut down, pro players tested positive, and within days, everyone was done. If there's no non conference games, the MAC is playing football for maybe about $500k per school from ESPN, and no fans. That may makes sense for the Big Ten to try to play for $30-50 million per school from ESPN/FOX, but for the MAC? I think by September, there will be no college football.

Exactly, although I think your September timeline is a little off. I'd wager it will all be cancelled before mid-August.
07-10-2020 09:56 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

If the season is cancelled, interesting to think that some transfer portal guys like Jayden Reed won't have played a single snap of football from December 2018 to September 2021. That's a lot of rust and cobwebs to shake off.
07-10-2020 10:13 AM
Doo Offline
1st String

The timeline will look like this

1.P5s will go to conference only schedules

2. G5’s will cancel season because of financial realities.

3. P5s will cancel season out of perception pressure.

4. There will be talk for 3 months about spring season

5. no spring season will happen

6 shortly after spring football gets cancelled

7. Fall 2021 we play again....I hope.
07-10-2020 10:13 AM
Advertisement

RunningGame Offline
All American

Idiots.

Unless you have invented the first coronavirus vaccine in history, it's foolproof, and you are cleverly hiding it for the opportune moment, then wearing masks isn't going to make the virus go away. It's here, and it's probably going to be endemic like other coronaviruses. The lockdowns are the reason these southern states are now having to go through a proper first wave.

You are such a good person there Flush, but there's nothing you can do to combat the cold, hard reality of mother nature: either it's permanent lockdown and no football for eternity, or flatten the curve and achieve herd immunity.*

The reality is even an "effective" vaccine is going to be only partially effective given the nature of RNA viruses and constant mutations, and you are probably going to have to spend every day of the rest of your life with this virus out there. Even with herd immunity, it's going to be like other coronaviruses and return down the road when immunity generally wears off. At least we see death rates falling, as is a likely course in the long-term as the virus habituates itself for survival. This cat was permanently out of the bag even before I started freaking out at the end of January.

Perhaps rather than selfishness, some people have just made peace with that fact, as happened for the rest of human history until March 2020.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2020 10:17 AM by RunningGame.)
07-10-2020 10:14 AM
bronco74 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(07-10-2020 10:14 AM)RunningGame Wrote:  

Idiots.

Unless you have invented the first coronavirus vaccine in history, it's foolproof, and you are cleverly hiding it for the opportune moment, then wearing masks isn't going to make the virus go away. It's here, and it's probably going to be endemic like other coronaviruses. The lockdowns are the reason these southern states are now having to go through a proper first wave.

You are such a good person there Flush, but there's nothing you can do to combat the cold, hard reality of mother nature: either it's permanent lockdown and no football for eternity, or flatten the curve and achieve herd immunity.*

The reality is even an "effective" vaccine is going to be only partially effective given the nature of RNA viruses and constant mutations, and you are probably going to have to spend every day of the rest of your life with this virus out there. Even with herd immunity, it's going to be like other coronaviruses and return down the road when immunity generally wears off. At least we see death rates falling, as is a likely course in the long-term as the virus habituates itself for survival. This cat was permanently out of the bag even before I started freaking out at the end of January.

Perhaps rather than selfishness, some people have just made peace with that fact, as happened for the rest of human history until March 2020.
07-11-2020 11:44 AM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
What WOULD be worth it is if conferences start cancelling their seasons -- but the MAC remains. Whomever wins the MAC Championship, wins the National Championship! Still hoping....
07-12-2020 06:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.