Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Which schools have had the best D1 transition since 2000?
dirtyjersey Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NJIT
Which schools have had the best D1 transition since 2000?
So many schools are moving up from D2 to D1 looking for national reputation and success yet so many schools underperform when they move up. Off the top of my head, there aren't many schools that have been able to become a household name in D1 FCS or even non-football. The only ones I can come up with are:

Florida Gulf Coast (Joined in 2007)
North Dakota State (Joined in 2004)
South Dakota State (Joined in 2004)

and Cal Baptist which joined in 2018 and looks like they are primed for success in D1. Are some of the schools that found a lot of D2 success that moved up regretting their decisions now? It's difficult from a recruiting standpoint. Is it better to be a top D2 school that is competing for a national championship each year or is being D1 that much more important in recruiting (mostly because of scholarship limit increases likely)? What other schools am I missing from that list?
07-08-2020 04:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
RE: Which schools have had the best D1 transition since 2000?
Belmont joined in 1999, and Lipscomb joined soon after. Belmont has had a lot of success, but Lipscomb is also in a good place.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2020 04:24 PM by johnintx.)
07-08-2020 04:22 PM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
Grand Canyon has to be part of this list.
07-08-2020 04:28 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
Troy should probably be at the top of this list. Moved from D2 to D1 in 2001.
07-08-2020 04:53 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Someone want to start with a full list of our options?

Are you there David?
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2020 04:55 PM by Fighting Muskie.)
07-08-2020 04:55 PM
Michael in Raleigh Online
All American

I Root For: App State
(07-08-2020 04:53 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  Troy should probably be at the top of this list. Moved from D2 to D1 in 2001.

They were D1 FCS in 2000. I remember because Troy @ App was my first ever App game. Troy won, but App beat Troy in the playoffs rematch. I'm pretty sure they moved up to D1 in like '97 or '98.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2020 07:59 PM by Michael in Raleigh.)
07-08-2020 05:07 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Grand Canyon, North Dakota St, and South Dakota St for the fan bases each has built and sustained. NDSU/SDSU fan bases would fit into the G5 seamlessly and GCU has a Gonzaga-like fan base.

NDSU/SDSU FB and GCU BB could make a terrible hire and recover quickly because of the support systems in place.
07-08-2020 05:36 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(07-08-2020 05:07 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  
(07-08-2020 04:53 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  Troy should probably be at the top of this list. Moved from D2 to D1 in 2001.

They were D1 FCS in 2000. I remember be mcause Troy @ App was my first ever App game. Troy won, but App beat Troy in the playoffs rematch. I'm pretty sure they moved up to D1 in like '97 or '98.

That's right. They moved from FCS (which is DI) to FBS in 2001. They transitioned from DII to FCS in 1991.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2020 05:51 PM by ken d.)
07-08-2020 05:47 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(07-08-2020 05:36 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Grand Canyon, North Dakota St, and South Dakota St for the fan bases each has built and sustained. NDSU/SDSU fan bases would fit into the G5 seamlessly and GCU has a Gonzaga-like fan base.

NDSU/SDSU FB and GCU BB could make a terrible hire and recover quickly because of the support systems in place.

NDSU and SDSU arguably had bigger fan bases in D2. Basketball shows it. UND's fan base grew tremendously over that pre-DI period because of a new football stadium, a new hockey stadium, a new cable stateswide network, and hockey and football championships.
Can't speak for SDSU, but NDSU felt they had no choice but DI as they were getting knocked out at every turn in DII. Hell, they had to move to FCS because the football playoffs couldn't be met in DII any longer. The officials were forced off the field at lowly St Cloud St because of horrible NDSU performance be NDSU fans.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2020 07:07 PM by NoDak.)
07-08-2020 06:47 PM
BisonCardinal Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NDSU
(07-08-2020 06:47 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(07-08-2020 05:36 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Grand Canyon, North Dakota St, and South Dakota St for the fan bases each has built and sustained. NDSU/SDSU fan bases would fit into the G5 seamlessly and GCU has a Gonzaga-like fan base.

NDSU and SDSU arguably had bigger fan bases in D2. Basketball shows it. UND's fan base grew tremendously over that pre-DI period because of a new football stadium, a new hockey stadium, a new cable stateswide network, and hockey and football championships.
Can't speak for SDSU, but NDSU felt they had no choice but DI as they were getting knocked out at every turn in DII. Hell, they had to move to FCS because the football playoffs couldn't be met in DII any longer. The officials were forced off the field at lowly St Cloud St because of horrible NDSU performance be NDSU fans.

LOL, time heals all wounds. St Cloud State's head coach must have overcome the trauma of it all by becoming our heralded QB coach that has coached two drafted NFL QBs and a first round prospect. Try harder next time when you are trying to bash the Bison.
07-08-2020 08:38 PM
Michael in Raleigh Online
All American

I Root For: App State
NDSU is number one by a mile. Their FCS success is astonishing. Plus they've made the NCAA tournament several times, and would have this year as well since they won the Summit League Tournament.

I'll echo what others have said for others on the list: SDSU, GCU, and possibly Cal Baptist. Merrimack certainly had a good first transition year this past season.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2020 09:30 PM by Michael in Raleigh.)
07-08-2020 09:29 PM
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
(07-08-2020 04:55 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Someone want to start with a full list of our options?

Are you there David?

Yep, this is where DavidSt shines. I'm getting ready for the list.
07-08-2020 09:38 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(07-08-2020 08:38 PM)BisonCardinal Wrote:  

LOL, time heals all wounds. St Cloud State's head coach must have overcome the trauma of it all by becoming our heralded QB coach that has coached two drafted NFL QBs and a first round prospect. Try harder next time when you are trying to bash the Bison.
Never tried to bash the bison because I don't care. Before DI, the bison were evaluating Hockey. They didn't decide for it because their rink would have been so piss poor in comparison and they decided that would go all in on fb obtaining any player leaning to UND. UND made it easy by having a piss-poor AD now at SMU
07-08-2020 09:47 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Abilene Christian took their time, but they are getting better. Not top choice.

UCA have been great in football, and nearly got a P5 scalp a few years back.

Northern Colorado men's basketball.

Utah Valley is one top contender in the WAC's men's basketball

Cal Poly got a P5 scalp

South Dakota State been great in men's basketball and football

UC-Davis's football a couple years back

Kennesaw State's men's basketball and football

North Florida men's basketball

FGCU the same with UNF

South Dakota football

Bryant been in the news

Northern Kentucky men's basketball

Incarnate Word made the FCS' playoffs

Grand Canyon men's basketball

Verdict is out with a few others, and we do not know the incoming schools yet.
07-08-2020 09:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(07-08-2020 09:29 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  NDSU is number one by a mile. Their FCS success is astonishing. Plus they've made the NCAA tournament several times, and would have this year as well since they won the Summit League Tournament.

I'll echo what others have said for others on the list: SDSU, GCU, and possibly Cal Baptist. Merrimack certainly had a good first transition year this past season.

Cal Baptist has gone further since their starting point wasn't D2.
07-08-2020 10:24 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(07-08-2020 09:57 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Abilene Christian took their time, but they are getting better. Not top choice.

Cal Poly got a P5 scalp

FGCU the same with UNF

South Dakota football

Bryant been in the news

Kennesaw St has been horrible in DI basketball, even though they won it in D2 .

N Kentucky had such a strong D2 basketball league that their DI performance is not that fantastic.
07-08-2020 10:29 PM
Advertisement

whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(07-08-2020 10:24 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(07-08-2020 09:29 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  NDSU is number one by a mile. Their FCS success is astonishing. Plus they've made the NCAA tournament several times, and would have this year as well since they won the Summit League Tournament.

Cal Baptist has gone further since their starting point wasn't D2.

FGCU came from further back, since they weren't a school until 1997.
07-08-2020 11:49 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(07-08-2020 10:29 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(07-08-2020 09:57 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Abilene Christian took their time, but they are getting better. Not top choice.

Cal Poly got a P5 scalp

FGCU the same with UNF

South Dakota football

Bryant been in the news

Kennesaw St has been horrible in DI basketball, even though they won it in D2 .

N Kentucky had such a strong D2 basketball league that their DI performance is not that fantastic.

My bad about Kennesaw State.

Northern Kentucky did made an appearance in in the tournament as they won the Horizon League's men's basketball tournament for 2018/19 season. They also won the 2016/17 tournament and came close to going the next year with a 22-10 record. They won this year's Horizon League's tournament before the coronavirus cancelled the tournaments.
07-09-2020 03:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!

So, NDSU was struggling to find success in the DII football playoffs, and thus they decided to move up to DI to improve their chances.
07-09-2020 05:28 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
Merrimack won their conference in basketball in their first transition year
07-09-2020 07:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.