07-03-2020 09:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: First FBS Cancellation
(07-03-2020 09:33 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

That's going to be tricky. The only open date they have is Oct. 10, unless they work out a deal for a game during the AAC title game, presuming they don't make it. And even the schools that do have a date are already at the max number of games. Of course, this won't be the last cancellation of the season, so maybe it'll work out. Or the whole season gets poopcanned.
07-03-2020 09:51 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
Does it count as an "FBS" cancellation when the FCS school is the one that cancels it? I understand that might seem pedantic since it does involve an FBS team but I think it's an important distinction to make as "FBS cancellation" implies that Navy couldn't afford to pay Lafayette and was forced to cancel.
07-03-2020 09:57 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-03-2020 09:57 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  Does it count as an "FBS" cancellation when the FCS school is the one that cancels it? I understand that might seem pedantic since it does involve an FBS team but I think it's an important distinction to make as "FBS cancellation" implies that Navy couldn't afford to pay Lafayette and was forced to cancel.

I think most people will understand that it's the first game involving an FBS school to be cancelled, regardless of who did the cancelling.

And to respond to my own post, I put this up at the ODU board, but ODU and Navy share an Oct. 10 open date, and if ODU wanted to accommodate them, they'd probably have to postpone/buy out the Hampton game, which is scheduled for Sept. 12, when Navy was to play Lafayette. That would make ODU a viable opponent on both of Navy's open dates.

ODU would love to get something going with Navy, for the obvious reasons but also because ODU's campus is literally down the road from the world's biggest naval base and Norfolk is pretty much the poster child for Navy towns. Plus they share the best bay in the world, the Chesapeake.
07-03-2020 10:03 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
Navy should be able to pick up a game through other Patriot League cancellations if they still want to play that weekend. I think I read that the Patriot league was moving their starting date back to the last half of September and that they are currently planning on playing a 7 league game season only. I'll have to try and locate the article. 04-cheers
07-03-2020 10:49 AM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-03-2020 10:49 AM)panite Wrote:  Navy should be able to pick up a game through other Patriot League cancellations if they still want to play that weekend. I think I read that the Patriot league was moving their starting date back to the last half of September and that they are currently planning on playing a 7 league game season only. I'll have to try and locate the article. 04-cheers

That'd take care of it for sure, but if they're pushing back the regular season, and Lafayette already is cancelling a game, it makes me wonder if the Patriot members are going to forgo or severely cut back their OOC.
07-03-2020 10:55 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

(07-03-2020 10:55 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(07-03-2020 10:49 AM)panite Wrote:  Navy should be able to pick up a game through other Patriot League cancellations if they still want to play that weekend. I think I read that the Patriot league was moving their starting date back to the last half of September and that they are currently planning on playing a 7 league game season only. I'll have to try and locate the article. 04-cheers

That'd take care of it for sure, but if they're pushing back the regular season, and Lafayette already is cancelling a game, it makes me wonder if the Patriot members are going to forgo or severely cut back their OOC.

I think that all of the Patriot schools are reducing their schedules so I am suggesting that the schools like Navy that are getting cancelled at the beginning of the season call each other if they want a 12 game season. 07-coffee3
07-03-2020 11:07 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-03-2020 11:07 AM)panite Wrote:  

I think that all of the Patriot schools are reducing their schedules so I am suggesting that the schools like Navy that are getting cancelled at the beginning of the season call each other if they want a 12 game season. 07-coffee3

That makes sense reading it that way, I misread and thought you meant picking up a Patriot opponent, but now that I think about it, that only works if they're getting rid of a further afield FBS game but still be open to playing a nearby one.
07-03-2020 11:22 AM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
This is not the first FBS vs FCS game that was cancelled
07-03-2020 11:35 AM
Advertisement

panite Offline
Heisman

(07-03-2020 11:22 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(07-03-2020 11:07 AM)panite Wrote:  

That makes sense reading it that way, I misread and thought you meant picking up a Patriot opponent, but now that I think about it, that only works if they're getting rid of a further afield FBS game but still be open to playing a nearby one.

04-cheers
07-03-2020 11:37 AM
HoustonCougarNation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cougars, Frogs
(07-03-2020 09:33 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

This is the first of many dominoes03-banghead to fall in the next few weeks and months.
07-03-2020 12:20 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-03-2020 11:35 AM)Bronco14 Wrote:  This is not the first FBS vs FCS game that was cancelled

Which one was? I know a few intra-HBCU games were called, and a handful of NAIA vs. FCS games were cancelled because of the NAIA pushing the start of the season back.
07-03-2020 12:28 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(07-03-2020 12:28 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(07-03-2020 11:35 AM)Bronco14 Wrote:  This is not the first FBS vs FCS game that was cancelled

Which one was? I know a few intra-HBCU games were called, and a handful of NAIA vs. FCS games were cancelled because of the NAIA pushing the start of the season back.

Probably WMU vs Colgate. IIRC, there wasn't a cancellation announcement...it just stayed in limbo then WMU announced they're now playing Stony Brook.

Hawai'i vs Fordham is another one...but there's no official announcement yet.
07-03-2020 12:36 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-03-2020 12:36 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(07-03-2020 12:28 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

Probably WMU vs Colgate. IIRC, there wasn't a cancellation announcement...it just stayed in limbo then WMU announced they're now playing Stony Brook.

Hawai'i vs Fordham is another one...but there's no official announcement yet.

That would be in keeping with the Patriot schools shedding OOC games.
07-03-2020 12:41 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Third cancellation

Colgate @ WMU
Lafayette @ Navy
Fordham @ Hawai’i
07-06-2020 06:48 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-06-2020 06:48 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Third cancellation

Colgate @ WMU
Lafayette @ Navy
Fordham @ Hawai’i

If you're looking for the first FBS school to punt on fall football and perhaps all sports this school year, it's Hawai'i.

Right now, visitors have to quarantine for 14 days upon arriving. On Aug. 1 a provision is scheduled to go into effect that allows you to bypass the quarantine if you provide a negative test result from no more than three days before your arrival. That's presuming thgat they don't delay implementation or go back to no exceptions if case counts continue in the direction they've been going.

But even if they don't drop the provision, Hawai'i athletes across the board are going to have to test every time they come back from the mainland, and since it's a 72-hour window, they'll have to get them almost as soon as they land. And while colleges playing this fall are probably going to have to test weekly or bi-weekly anyway, Hawai'i trips are going to be the first to ax for a multitude of reasons.

It's going to be a hell of a lift for them.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2020 09:51 PM by Cyniclone.)
07-06-2020 09:34 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Georgetown is a 40 min. bus ride to Annapolis. Navy isn't interested.
07-06-2020 10:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.