Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News De Blasio plans to cut NYPD budget by $1 billion as NYC shootings spike
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
De Blasio plans to cut NYPD budget by $1 billion as NYC shootings spike
Quote:Mayor Bill de Blasio said Monday that he’s come up with a plan to cut or transfer $1 billion from the NYPD’s $6 billion budget and would not guarantee the department’s headcount won’t shrink — even as shootings surge across the city.

“I’m excited to say we have a plan that can achieve real reform, that can achieve real redistribution — while at the same time ensure that we keep our city safe, while we make sure that our officers are on patrol around where we need them around this city,” de Blasio said during his daily City Hall press briefing.

“We can do this, we can strike the balance, we can keep this city safe,” he later added.

While Hizzoner offered few details about his spending cuts plan, he would not guarantee that the NYPD’s police force would remain at its current level of roughly 36,000 officers when pressed by reporters.

“We have found a plan that will keep this city safe, that will achieve the billion dollars in savings,” de Blasio claimed during his daily press briefing Monday.

Separately, de Blasio also said his plan would move at least half-billion dollars from the NYPD’s construction and major projects budget to help fund building improvements at youth centers and public housing.

De Blasio and the City Council must reach an $87 billion budget deal by Tuesday to solve a $9 billion budget deficit caused by a dropoff in tax revenues from the coronavirus. Initially, Hizzoner hoped to spend $95 billion.

The plan to slash the NYPD budget comes as gun violence has surged across the Big Apple.

The violence continued across the city over the weekend as eleven people were shot in less than 12 hours Saturday night into Sunday night, including in Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and Manhattan.

Conservative and liberal lawmakers quickly hit de Blasio over his embrace of calls to ‘defund’ the NYPD through $1 billion in cuts and transfers — albeit, from opposite sides of the issue.

“We have caved to the mob in a moment we know will come back to haunt us,” Councilman Joe Borelli (R-Staten Island) told The Post. “The mayor is smart enough to know that these actions will create a more violent environment in New York.

“This is what you get when you have government-by-hashtag,” he added.

Borelli ‘s counterpart from Queens, Councilman Robert Holden, echoed the complaints.

“I’m against wholesale cuts based on protest signs,” the Middle Village Democrat said. “One billion dollars is an arbitrary number that the mayor and some of my colleagues are trying to reach to appease the masses without considering public safety.”

Liberal activists and lawmakers also blasted de Blasio’s floated plan.

“NYers marching in our streets for #BlackLivesMatter #DefundNYPD will NOT be satisfied by moving Safety Agents from the NYPD to the @NYCschools [Department of Education] budget,” tweeted Councilman Ben Kallos (D-Manhattan). “That is an accounting trick, not #TransformPolice.”

Kallos was joined by another liberal, Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer (D-Queens), who tweeted that he is “demanding a budget that will #DefundNYPD by a real $1B and reinvest that $$ in education!”

When pressed during the briefing, de Blasio acknowledged that the $1 billion target for the NYPD’s $6 billion budget stemmed in part from the weeks of mass protests that followed the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

Link

Yet it was not enough for Left Wing Nut Jobs.

Quote:NYC’s Mayor de Blasio’s plan to cancel two police academy classes and move school safety agents and some homeless services out of the NYPD’s hands doesn’t go far enough, said activists on Monday.

The cancellation of the next two NYPD classes would save an estimated $50 million, while school safety agents would be under the control of the Department of Education, and the homeless outreach usually done by cops would be performed by the Department of Homeless Services, sources told The Daily News.

Meanwhile, under the plan, $500 million in money earmarked for NYPD construction and renovation would be diverted to youth and social service programs, said de Blasio.

“It’s a good start, but it’s a little warm and fuzzy. There absolutely has to be more done,” said Hawk Newsome of Black Lives Matter, one of the activist groups that have called for reducing the NYPD’s budget.

“I’m glad there will be no new cops, which is something people have been fighting for, but I recommend hiring more social workers, so instead of a public safety presence, there will be a social service presence.”

Advocates and City Council leaders have been pushing for cuts as much as $1 billion or higher in the wake of the widespread protests following the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

Newsome and others have pressed for NYPD fund to be rerouted into non-profit social service groups. “These groups can potentially diffuse violence in our neighborhoods, which removes the need for police in our streets,” he said.

The group VOCAL-NY accused de Blasio of “cost-shifting” and of manipulating the defunding movement. The group called on the council to turn the proposal down flat.

“It is a total betrayal of a movement, led primarily by young Black people, that has swept across the country landing directly in front of City Hall where the demands for community investment and for a reduction of police power and resources could not be more clear.,” the group said.

The group added that the decision-making process has not been transparent. “Cost shifting from NYPD to other agencies, will not be accepted. Manipulation of our demands will not be accepted,” the group said.

The group called for a complete withdrawal of the NYPD from homeless, youth, overdoses, mental health. The funds should then be redirected to housing, healthcare and social services for communities of color.

“The deal as described does nothing close, preserving police resources and power — with not a single layoff among NYPD’s uniformed cops.” the group said. “This is a moment for decisive, moral action. New York City government has largely defunded key needs in Black, Latinx and other communities of color for years, while taxpayer dollars to policing have only grown.”

Meanwhile, Patrick Lynch, president of the Police Benevolent Association, said the moves went too far.

“Mayor de Blasio’s message to New Yorkers today was clear: you will have fewer cops on your streets,” he said in a statement. “Shootings more than doubled again last week. Even right now, the NYPD doesn’t have enough manpower to shift cops to one neighborhood without making another neighborhood less safe. We will say it again: the mayor and the city council have surrendered the city to lawlessness. Things won’t improve until New Yorkers hold them responsible.

Link
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2020 08:56 PM by CrimsonPhantom.)
06-29-2020 08:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: De Blasio plans to cut NYPD budget by $1 billion as NYC shootings spike
Has there been a worse Mayor in New York in my lifetime? I honestly cannot think of one.
06-29-2020 09:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
People voted for this clown. Bwahahaha! Idiots.
06-29-2020 10:32 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Good, the Dems who voted for him shall reap the crime.
06-29-2020 10:38 PM
Advertisement

JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
De Blasio plans to cut NYPD budget by $1 billion as NYC shootings spike
(06-29-2020 09:04 PM)ODUsmitty Wrote:  Has there been a worse Mayor in New York in my lifetime? I honestly cannot think of one.

Yes. Dinkins, but this is crowding really close.

Time we see a real change agent take over for this stoned idiot, or just watch the descend of one of our formerly greatest city's. Who would now go visit there? Or Balimoron? Or Fransicko? Chitgcago? or even DeeCee? Wait until Milwaukee burns.

Then maybe we see people change thir minds. A bit. Maybe.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2020 09:51 AM by JMUDunk.)
06-29-2020 10:46 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
We are seeing the housing market heating up in my area and it is almost 100% due to people vacating the big cities of New York and Philly. Due to location, Philly I expected, but hearing more and more New Yorker's buying houses.
06-30-2020 08:35 AM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
There goes the neighborhood.......
06-30-2020 08:43 PM
BartlettTigerFan Offline
Have gun Will travel

I Root For: Freedom
(06-30-2020 08:35 AM)GrayBeard Wrote:  We are seeing the housing market heating up in my area and it is almost 100% due to people vacating the big cities of New York and Philly. Due to location, Philly I expected, but hearing more and more New Yorker's buying houses.

I'm starting to think they want people to move out of the big blue cities. I can't imagine why though.
06-30-2020 09:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.